Another British Horse Society c**k-up

teapot

Visit site
Thanks for your reply. It squares with what I have heard from others. I agree that it is the exam system that is being promoted and the development of that system has been a major long term investment. However, from what I understand, that investment in the exam system has not paid off as the UKCC system has overtaken the BHS offering in the market place. Selling the exam system outside the UK has become a priority - eg. China and Middle East etc.

UKCC has died a death since the new exams pathway came in.

ECB

Visit site
UKCC has died a death since the new exams pathway came in.
I think you know "teapot" that UKCC did not die per se; it is now 1st4 sport. BHS exam system has been and is running at a loss & has unfilled places. They are selling it in China etc in an attempt to boost its image & value. The insurance, which was why most people "joined" has also been overtaken in the marketplace, by many but most notably by Harry Hall (as PC people know) and World Horse Welfare. At least with World Horse Welfare you get clear information about where your money goes and they do DO welfare!

ECB

Visit site
I
I personally, don't feel my business derives any benefit from being approved as my clients tend to come from word of mouth recommendations, not by people specifically looking for an approved centre. I suspect many demo/courses may run at a loss depending on the cost of hiring venues and people to present them but that may vary with the content and the area they are held in affecting how many people attend, they are generally open to everyone not just APCs (who also are members). Promoting approved centres and APCs probably serves more to promote the exam system than anything else as qualifications are prerequisites for approval and registration.
am curious about your insurance requiring approval. Does it specify from BHS?

Velcrobum

Visit site
Thanks for your reply. It squares with what I have heard from others. I agree that it is the exam system that is being promoted and the development of that system has been a major long term investment. However, from what I understand, that investment in the exam system has not paid off as the UKCC system has overtaken the BHS offering in the market place. Selling the exam system outside the UK has become a priority - eg. China and Middle East etc.

I have been told by a Fellow of BHS that the China gravy train is running at a significant loss.

ViolettaTears

Visit site
Hi - been away, was wondering has the CEO been announced as i can't see it anywhere ?
Hi there, the answer is a resounding 'no', and there are two current schools of thought which are that either Tim the Chair has put a halt on things as he didn't like the short list that David the prior chair put together and has started all over again with the same headhunting firm as they are on a basic retainer which means they get paid if and when someone is offered and accepts the job. The headhunters are friends of the former treasurer apparently. Or the other rumour is that Alex the Educationalist might get it as he and Tim are great mates but apparently he and a couple of other internal candidates went for it and if one of them gets it the others will resign. Complete Brexit Dogs Dinner

onemoretime

Visit site
Hi there, the answer is a resounding 'no', and there are two current schools of thought which are that either Tim the Chair has put a halt on things as he didn't like the short list that David the prior chair put together and has started all over again with the same headhunting firm as they are on a basic retainer which means they get paid if and when someone is offered and accepts the job. The headhunters are friends of the former treasurer apparently. Or the other rumour is that Alex the Educationalist might get it as he and Tim are great mates but apparently he and a couple of other internal candidates went for it and if one of them gets it the others will resign. Complete Brexit Dogs Dinner

Oh what a tangled web we weave!!

Velcrobum

Visit site

My cynical side says well that would get rid of some of the Senior Management but my tolerant side says but what if the ones threatening to resign are actually good ones.............

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
My cynical side says well that would get rid of some of the Senior Management but my tolerant side says but what if the ones threatening to resign are actually good ones.............

And how unlikely is that. If any were good - and had the moral fibre to stand up and speak against the ex CEO, they would have already been sacked

Helensbridge

Visit site
Oh my goodness ... what a mess, as a Charity with members are they not supposed to inform us about what is going on - even an update ? I see there is a Members meeting in Liverpool tonight - I wonder if anyone will ask what is going on ???

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Big rumours going round that the new CE will be announced this coming week or next. He's external and not Alex the Educationalist, so a lot of staff, volunteers and no doubt directors will be bucked up when that news is announced. The new CE is a mate of the Chairmans, which is why there's been such a huge delay, eight months now and Tim had to get the rest of the board to agree to taking on his man. Assuming the new CE has read all the comments on this forum and the Daily Telegraph we are kind of thinking he must be a supreme optimist or believe the tripe being pushed around that it's only a small handful of fed up ex staff that are moaning. Either way he is in for a humangous shock when he gets his feet under the big desk at Stoneleigh. His two first actions must be to, read all the old documents and reports he can get his hands on to see how the same problems keep rearing their ugly heads because no one is dealing with them. Then let the Personnel Director go off to pastures new, pronto. In our opinion listening to all we've been told she is not trusted by anyone including her own team and is stopping The BHS moving forward.

If he's a friend of the Chairman, he might be a marketing man - that could be good if he also has a clue about good PR and C O M M U N I C A T I O N!! I can't see that the successful candidate SHOULD have a problem - because he HAS to know what it is. He needs to get the TEAM working WITH him - and anyone who wants to fly solo, should fly out the door. All we can do for now is keep fingers crossed! If he's smart, his first PR will admit to the number of members lost in the past year or two - and state how he intends to reverse that situation. Then deliver!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The new CEO has been named, I received the following email just now.

Dear Member,

I am writing to you, ahead of a general announcement being made later today, to confirm the appointment of the new Chief Executive Officer of The British Horse Society.

James Hick will join the Society on Monday 2nd December 2019 bringing with him a wealth of experience and proven success in leading a multi-faceted organisation. James is currently the Managing Director for ManpowerGroup Enterprise, UK and Ireland, and has worked for the ManpowerGroup since 1993.

James has been a member of The BHS for over 10 years and he breeds and shows Shire horses in his spare time so is involved with and knows the equestrian community very well.

I, along with my fellow Trustees, am delighted that James will be leading the Society through the next phase of our strategic plan. As we get close to James joining us officially, we will share more news about him and plans for his introduction to our amazing Charity.

Please look out for a brief feature on James in the next issue of British Horse magazine, due at the end of November.

Thank you for your continued support of The British Horse Society. We couldn’t do all the great work we do without you.

Tim Lord

Chairman of the Board of Trustees

ViolettaTears

Visit site
The new CEO has been named, I received this email just now.

Dear Member,

I am writing to you, ahead of a general announcement being made later today, to confirm the appointment of the new Chief Executive Officer of The British Horse Society.

James Hick will join the Society on Monday 2nd December 2019 bringing with him a wealth of experience and proven success in leading a multi-faceted organisation. James is currently the Managing Director for ManpowerGroup Enterprise, UK and Ireland, and has worked for the ManpowerGroup since 1993.

James has been a member of The BHS for over 10 years and he breeds and shows Shire horses in his spare time so is involved with and knows the equestrian community very well.

I, along with my fellow Trustees, am delighted that James will be leading the Society through the next phase of our strategic plan. As we get close to James joining us officially, we will share more news about him and plans for his introduction to our amazing Charity.

Please look out for a brief feature on James in the next issue of British Horse magazine, due at the end of November.

Thank you for your continued support of The British Horse Society. We couldn’t do all the great work we do without you.

Tim Lord

Chairman of the Board of Trustees

Velcrobum

Visit site
How does one find out who all the senior management "directors" are? I have trawled the BHS website and have not found them yet. I could of course be being stupid!!