Another fatal dog attack

SadKen

Visit site
I disagree. I think that you can look at the combination and have a pretty good idea just the same as a horse person having a pretty good idea as to how the horse and rider are going to behave. Obviously you have to have dog experience and that was all fine. I was quite happy with any size of dog. . Then it all changed when bull breeds came along. To me they are unreadable.

My experience with a staffy was the game changer for me. It was a lovely sweet dog, husband, wife and 2 small kids. It was loose, playing with the kids, smiling at them and in the space of 10 seconds this sweet creature was a monster attached to my horse's leg. Horse was being held and just standing still, no provocation. I learnt from that how difficult it is to prise them off something. Couldn't strangle it as the horse was thrashing too dangerously. It didn't listen to the owner. No one could get it to release. A lead and muzzle and that wouldn't have happened.

Put that up a few notches and you have larger bull breeds, wonderful with the baby and then they just lose it for no apparent reason.

as a minimum all bull breeds of whatever size need to be muzzled in public.
I am totally lost as to why someone would take a large dog out without a lead. It would never occur to me not to lead. If fact I double lead to a chain and also to a harness back to my waist belt.
Apologies, to confirm, I absolutely agree, you CAN tell.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Looking at some of your posts, it seems you do have an understanding of behaviour in dog and or owner that would concern you, and avoid it.

Uh?

Because I can spot some danger signals i shouldn't need protecting from the rest who don't give any until too late? What a peculiar argument.

It's the not obvious ones that are the problem. I wrote the other day about a dog I looked at in curiosity because it was border collie coloured but not a border collie. It locked on to me before I realised it was a bull cross. The owner could just about hold it and dragged it out of sight of me, I would have felt a hell of a sight less concerned if it had been muzzled.

skinnydipper

Visit site
Meanwhile many xl bully 'furbabies', the much loved and cherished family dogs, are rapidly being off loaded via Facebook.
The lucky ones get sold on Facebook

4 XL bullies pulled from canal in Manchester

Last edited:

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Commenter posting multiple links to other dog attack news stories, all of other breeds (though multiple Cane Corso and Rottweiler examples so not exactly doing them many favours). I find this behaviour really gross. Firstly it's a poor attempt to distract from the real issues around this specific breed and the seriousness of this specific attack (the man and his dog had a lucky escape I think). And secondly it's so disrespectful to him as a victim of a traumatic attack and to the victims of attacks in the stories being used to prove some bs point.

Quite a few comments/liked comments expressing people seem quite fed up with the 'it's the owner not the dog' stuff. Which again I find so disrespectful to victims of these attacks and their families.

I found the coverage of the girl attacked by the three dogs in the park in London so important. It was all over Radio 1 last week and although she was upset that the video had been seen by so many people, I thought it was good that she was able to speak up about what happened and the impact it has had on her physically and mentally.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Exactly , take them to the vet and have them PTS if you are not prepared to train them to accept a muzzle and keep them on a lead, oh dear that would take money or time to train !!!

Or have someone shoot them. Honestly I'm ok with humane death by bullet. It's so quick when done right. You either do that or PTS at the vet.

I know that these animals are aggressive, dangerous, etc. but they don't need to suffer, IMO. So many animals do because of humans. Humans made them what they are (would they exist otherwise?!).

Quite a few comments/liked comments expressing people seem quite fed up with the 'it's the owner not the dog' stuff. Which again I find so disrespectful to victims of these attacks and their families.

I thought about this. It is disrespectful, but in some instances, I don't think that people are meaning disrespect or trying to discount what happened. It's just that while the dog did kill and/or maim the victim, and was essentially the "weapon" the owner still deserves some blame! Perhaps saying, "it's not just the dog, it's the owner too" would be more tactful perhaps (although I'm not the authority on tact 🤣). I don't negate the fact that these dogs are attacking and dangerous/deadly. They're a huge problem, but the humans attached to them (owners, breeders, etc) need to be front and center taking the blame too.

tristar

Visit site
the photo of that dog that chewed the toddlers leg in london, was striking in that after the event when it was held on the pavement, the look on its face was distress, or fear, it knew what it had done but had no control over its impulses, yet was not still going mad to bite, just lying there with a very confused look in its eyes

paddy555

Visit site
the photo of that dog that chewed the toddlers leg in london, was striking in that after the event when it was held on the pavement, the look on its face was distress, or fear, it knew what it had done but had no control over its impulses, yet was not still going mad to bite, just lying there with a very confused look in its eyes

I do feel very sorry for these dogs and what humans have done to them. This link is just very sad but also sadly true.

having created this mess we appear to be unwilling to try and clear it up.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Because nothing in life is 100% including recall, you have to expect the unexpected, and no one enjoys seeing GSDs running around off leash.

Mine are always brought back beside me when walkers/cyclists/riders are going past.

Just to return to this, and it's not as if this thread isn't cyclical in nature ;) there have been two incidents this week alone where I was very glad to be using a flexi leash, one involving a squirrel on the lane and one involving a cat in my own garden.

My dogs, as will many, recall if I catch them in between the moment of seeing a prey item and once they're off after it and I can divert, particularly the young female, with a game or fling some food about **to fulfil that need to chase/possess**
On both occasions this week, the prey item appeared before I had time to think and my young female was already off and running and I would have had little chance of breaking her attention. The urge to chase and possess in certain dogs will override whatever the handler has to offer or the consequence they will dole out (I have to admit I'm not the best at administering consequences). And damn, she's fast.
With the squirrel, she got a boink on the neck (on a very wide collar, and her head is still attached) and I got a boink on the arm, lesson learned for both of us ;) I need to be more observant in the mornings, the cat thing happened when she had less line so I had more control. On both occasions she returned her attention to me very quickly and got food - so I know she understands the basic principal of going through stress to get a reward ;) but I am big enough to admit that had she not been on a line, she would have been halfway up a tree or over a fence and far away because of my crap timing.

For anyone concerned about flexi leads/entanglement, there was no one else on the lane, she would have been beside me with the leash locked if there had.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Looking at some of your posts, it seems you do have an understanding of behaviour in dog and or owner that would concern you, and avoid it.

XLs will need to be muzzled soon. It would be interesting to see what numbers are reported for not being muzzled and how many false reports are made, ie for dogs which aren’t XLs. And then tot up the police time spent vs follow up action actually taken vs the measurable reduction (or not) in dog attacks.

That will give some idea of whether it works. (It won’t, imo).

Again, this hasn’t addressed enforcement.
2 very salient points. Who is qualified to identify the breed (bar DNA) and how will muzzling be enforced?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
2 very salient points. Who is qualified to identify the breed (bar DNA) and how will muzzling be enforced?
1. Someone who has the ability to see and learn what a dog with pitbull ancestry looks like.

2. Someone (suggested: a dog warden) sees dog without muzzle. Tells owner to put muzzle on dog - if owner not keen, gets a fine/date in court.

SilverLinings

Visit site
Depending on the site, reporting them for being clearly deformed gets them removed very quickly 😉

That is great to know, and I think that may become my new form of entertainment when sitting waiting for medical appointments with no book to read :)

On the day that I posted there were quite a few Bullys advertised with extremely dodgy conformation, not just 'not ideal' but malformed-looking. I'm sure it *really* helps the mood of a bully who already has aggressive tendencies to be in constant pain due to a body not fit for purpose [I mean that sarcastically].

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
That must have been so awful for the owner , hopefully the little dog died quickly. Yet another XL bully who was supposed to be placid, it’s about time the people who own these dogs start being more responsible and not have them loose in public areas… heard on the anglia news today that a girl was attacked by 2 dogs in Ipswich , not fatally , dogs have been put down

MurphysMinder

Visit site

cauda equina

Visit site
Genetics. They are a game bred dog, which anybody with any sense already knew.

They could tick along nicely with no problem then something will trigger that instinct.

Don't treat dogs like babies. Give them clear guidance.
If you take his argument to its logical conclusion then no amount of trainging will result in a 'safe' dog