Another loose dog incident at an event. Time to ban dogs?

WandaMare

Visit site
I have no idea if there is already such a thing in place but could there be a pop up kennel system for volunteers to leave their dogs while they are busy.. ? I realise it's possibly not ideal but people could go to their dogs during breaks etc and it would be better than leaving the dogs at home..??

I think I've seen such a thing at Badminton, a dog creche somewhere behind the food village and the main screen. People could leave them there while watching the xc, I would have no problem leaving my dog there for a few hours, dog can have a rest for a while and owner can enjoy watching the xc (not that I've got a dog at the moment but if i did have)

AFB

Visit site
I say ban them. Watching that video made me so angry. People do not need to take dogs to a horse event, its not a dog show its a horse show! People throwing their tantrum saying they wont volunteer or go to these events if they cant take their dog .. see ya, bye!

You do realise these events couldn't run without volunteers? What a horrendously ungrateful attitude.

{97702}

Visit site
You do realise these events couldn't run without volunteers? What a horrendously ungrateful attitude.

That’s a lot more polite than I was going to be ?

I find it interesting that very often it is dogs belonging to the COMPETITORS which are the problem - as in this case - surely they have vested interest in their own health, safety and well being? I’ve lost count of the number of appeals I’ve seen on social media where competitors have lost dogs at events - maybe they are the ones who need educating, not spectators and volunteers? ?

Goldenstar

Visit site
I say ban them. Watching that video made me so angry. People do not need to take dogs to a horse event, its not a dog show its a horse show! People throwing their tantrum saying they wont volunteer or go to these events if they cant take their dog .. see ya, bye!

You cant take your pet pooch to Crufts or Olympia so why should you take it (why would you want to!) to any other horse event! I love having my dog with me but country fairs/ horse events .. no thanks i'd rather have just myself to look after and enjoy the day.

Thats fine because I have no need to get up at a silly time in the morning sort my horses and the other animals to drive to arrive at an event in time for briefing to sit cramped in car all day bored pretty witless so other people can gallop round a xc course .
So I won’t .
Its no tantrum it’s a state of fact .

emilylou

Visit site
I think a fine would be easy to enforce at BE at least. The horse/rider who the dog is connected to would have their membership frozen until the fine is paid. Fine could be paid on day to organizer (who would report payment of fine) or after the event via BE website.
No payment, no further entries to competition.

scats

Visit site
We need volunteers, or these events couldn’t run. I can imagine it would put people off volunteering if they knew they had to put their dog in kennels or day care for the day. We need to look after these people, they put themselves out so other people can enjoy the sport. I’d support a ban on the public bringing dogs, but would support allowing volunteers to continue bringing them.

Berpisc

Visit site
That’s a lot more polite than I was going to be ?

I find it interesting that very often it is dogs belonging to the COMPETITORS which are the problem - as in this case - surely they have vested interest in their own health, safety and well being? I’ve lost count of the number of appeals I’ve seen on social media where competitors have lost dogs at events - maybe they are the ones who need educating, not spectators and volunteers? ?
Yep, that has been my experience as a volunteer.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Perhaps they should say and mean you let your dogs gets up to stuff Like in that video it’s a two month ban from competition.
No competitors to walk xc with dogs after the commencement of XC .

Last edited:

huskydamage

Visit site
Id support a ban on off lead dogs at events. If you can't keep hold of your dog you get a fine.
I don't get why it is so hard for people to have dogs on a lead.
But then my dog's recall is bad so he is always on lead. I manage to take him abroad, numerous events and holidays, hiking, pubs, gigs, restaurants all ON lead and I just don't get what the big issue with this is. Not everyone wants some random dog running up to them for a multitude of reasons.
Hate to say it but it is these small yappy terrier type dog owners that are the worst offenders

Fragglerock

Visit site
Perhaps they should say and mean you let your dogs gets up stuff Like in that video it’s a two month ban from competition.
No competitors to walk xc with dogs after the commencement of XC .

And nobody to walk the XC course pushing buggies after commencement of XC. Never had a dog problem but have encountered a buggy in the middle of a narrow path through woodland. I was jump judging at one event, one girl was walking the course but totally absorbed in a phone conversation and not a clue about what was going on around her. The chief steward told her to put it away and if he saw her on the phone while walking the course again he would disqualify her.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZS5U5cYo/

Was it this one?

Eta - sorry to just do link, I can't work out how to put video in post.
Thanks, that seems to fit the bill.

Horse and rider come into view with two loose dogs in pursuit.

The chap in red had his dog on the lead, but it slipped clean out of its collar and joined in chasing the horse with the other two loose dogs.

74728741-42C8-4976-B788-C24BCF3E2CD2.jpeg

FF454248-21DA-4AFE-89F1-4C3A19E6C612.jpeg

Goldenstar

Visit site
Id support a ban on off lead dogs at events. If you can't keep hold of your dog you get a fine.
But then my dog's recall is bad so he is always on lead. I manage to take him abroad, numerous events and holidays, hiking, pubs, gigs, restaurants all ON lead and I just don't get what the big issue with this is. Not everyone wants some random dog running up to them for a multitude of reasons.
Hate to say it but it is these small yappy terrier type dog owners that are the worst offenders

My dog has perfect recall but I would never have him at a horse trial without a slip lead ( I won’t use harness ) .
It’s not complicated ,how do riders end up with dogs that are nuts around horses ?
it freaks me out .

TPO

Visit site
The thing is that its already a rule to have your dog in a lead is it not? There is already a fine if your dog gets loose.

These rules and consequences clearly aren't working as a deterrent because it is still happening.

They are accidents, I don't think anyone is going with the specific aim to leave a mess, trip people and chase horses but it happens and it keeps happening. Everyone says itll never happen to them but it is happening to dog owners.

We'll be having this discussion again when a horse and/or rider is severely injured or dead no doubt

huskydamage

Visit site
My dog has perfect recall but I would never have him at a horse trial without a slip lead ( I won’t use harness ) .
It’s not complicated ,how do riders end up with dogs that are nuts around horses ?
it freaks me out .

It is crazy! If the main dogs were a competitor I hope they get some penalty for this. The rider in the clip must be fuming.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Oh ok, I just thought it might be a compromise for those who need to take dogs ?‍♀️

They would be asking me to trust my dog who is always with me to strangers I don’t know , whose experience I don’t know ,to keep him in a situation I would not seen in advance so I could sit for hours to do the competitors a favour .
Not going to happen .

Lammy

Visit site
I do agree that the main offenders seems to be competitors themselves, having dogs off lead while walking the xc is just not on in my opinion.

However I don’t agree with a blanket ban, that does ruin it for those people who do have close control of their dogs but who wouldn’t be able to compete or volunteer without having pooch accompany them. And to suggest a volunteer should pay for the dog to be kennelled or walked by a dog walker is outrageous...they are giving up their free time and doing something helpful for the love of the sport. They shouldn’t have to pay to be able to come on top of that. I’ve never seen a volunteers dog out of control at any of our local events, all usually hooked up to the car or lounging in the boot with the lead on.

Rule that dogs be on leads with well fitting collars or harnesses at all times, anyone straying from that rule gets an outright ban/suspension.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
In my experience, it’s never been volunteer dogs that have been the issue - they tend to stay in or around the cars, nice and secure.

It’s always been dogs belonging to competitors, and occasionally spectators. Oh, and the owners of the big house ?

A few years ago I was FJ'ing with someone who insisted on bringing her dogs with her. We had a rotational fall at the fence, and when I was on the ground dealing with the injured rider, her $%^&***ing dogs got loose and bounded over, on top of me and the rider. She (the other FJ) thought it was hilarious.

I was very clear in my report to the GJ what I thought about dogs, any dogs, being allowed on course at events.

And yeah, I have three dogs and I make other arrangements for them when I'm out for the day. My other sport doesn't have a dog ban but hardly anyone brings them to competitions, even though a loose dog probably wouldn't cause any trouble at all. Makes no sense to allow them at horse competitions when the potential outcome is so disastrous.

WandaMare

Visit site
BE put this on their website in June of this year:

'What about dogs?
Overwhelming feedback has been that you still want to be able to take your dogs to an event. We have listened, and the next release of guidance will reflect this. Whilst there is a risk, in terms of handling of loose dogs it is felt this can be sufficiently managed on event by the organiser and officials to minimise this'.

So their feedback is out of kilter with opinions on this thread. All the more reason for those who want a ban or more restrictions to get in touch with them, things won't change unless people speak up.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I FJ at BE, too. It’s a fairly full on day and as RR says above, if you have a fall or other incident at your fence you don’t want FJ dogs getting stuck in and muddling things.

I leave the dog at home. Do some people really never ever leave their dogs at home for the day? No arrangement ever in place for someone to pop in and see to the dog? Goodness.

Whatever the level of competition, from local BE to Badminton/Burghley, there are constant reminders over the PA to keep dogs on leads at all times, and many individuals who think that that rule does not apply to them.

In the incident in the video, at least one dog was on lead and completely slipped the collar and lead so that it could chase the horse.

If competitions struggle to find volunteers because of a no dogs rule, then tough. Continuing as we are would be madness.

paddy555

Visit site

totally agree and not just at horse events. Not all of the public like dogs and certainly don't want them running up to them mounted on a horse or not. I hate dogs running up to me or people who just let their dogs meander over to me. If you have a dog keep it on a lead in all public places. No one can possibly know their dog is going to be safe with a galloping horse. There is too much potential for an accident to both horse and rider. If you cannot be sure it won't slip the lead leave it at home. Dogs are a luxury, no one has to be inconvenienced by other people and their dog keeping hobby. It is not just in the show ring or a cc course. There are similar incidents everyday with dogs chasing ridden horses.

If there is a risk of lead slipping anchor the dog to you by a harness onto a waist belt in addition to it's normal lead. If the dog doesn't pull the harness will be loose at all times. If it does pull then the public probably need the extra security of the harness and waist lead.
If you want/need to go to a horse competition it is hardly going to kill the dog if it is left at home for a day. Better than killing a horse or worse still a rider.
Dogs off lead are bad enough in normal life. I had one try and pull me off my bike, nasty little sod.

It is surprising that the spectators let them loose at horse events. If you go to one of these events it must be because you like/ride horses. If that is the case then you must be well aware that it takes very little to spook at horse or make it bolt.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think I've seen such a thing at Badminton, a dog creche somewhere behind the food village and the main screen. People could leave them there while watching the xc, I would have no problem leaving my dog there for a few hours, dog can have a rest for a while and owner can enjoy watching the xc (not that I've got a dog at the moment but if i did have)
Yup they do, it's run by volunteers from the Bristol vet school/the money goes to their charity. Only for a couple of hours though currently.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think it is wrong that we wait for dogs on course to cause a serious accident/death before doing anything about it.

As a starter all dogs on site having two connection points collar/harness/slip lead to a person, or secured at the lorry wouldn't seem like a bad idea.

Found a dog wandering at larkhill once, the owners had left in the lorry without it. . .

AFB

Visit site
I leave the dog at home. Do some people really never ever leave their dogs at home for the day? No arrangement ever in place for someone to pop in and see to the dog? Goodness.

I think the issue here is that people giving up their time for the good of someone else's enjoyment shouldn't be further inconvenienced.

If competitions struggle to find volunteers because of a no dogs rule, then tough. Continuing as we are would be madness.
So not enough volunteers = no competition. Is that really preferable?

To add I'm not saying this as someone with a vested interest, I compete sporadically, haven't volunteered but have MASSES of respect for those that give up their free time, and whilst I enjoy spectating and like to take my dog, a spectating day isn't (usually) such a long day that my dog couldn't cope at home alone once in a while.
I do however think people need to think in terms of feasibility of the sport. I'm plucking numbers out of the air here but lets say 30% of those volunteers have dogs and can't bring them, maybe 10% will selflessly make other arrangements for them, we're still 20% down on volunteers. And we all know nobody's inundated with them. The event either doesn't run or has to use paid staff, upping costs. Either way, in the long run it's damaging to an already struggling sport.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I think the issue here is that people giving up their time for the good of someone else's enjoyment shouldn't be further inconvenienced.

So not enough volunteers = no competition. Is that really preferable?

To add I'm not saying this as someone with a vested interest, I compete sporadically, haven't volunteered but have MASSES of respect for those that give up their free time, and whilst I enjoy spectating and like to take my dog, a spectating day isn't (usually) such a long day that my dog couldn't cope at home alone once in a while.
I do however think people need to think in terms of feasibility of the sport. I'm plucking numbers out of the air here but lets say 30% of those volunteers have dogs and can't bring them, maybe 10% will selflessly make other arrangements for them, we're still 20% down on volunteers. And we all know nobody's inundated with them. The event either doesn't run or has to use paid staff, upping costs. Either way, in the long run it's damaging to an already struggling sport.

I work (as in actually get paid) for an organisation which relies heavily on volunteers, and knows how to keep volunteers on side. We won the Queen's Award for Volunteering this year, so we must be doing something right. Not one of our volunteers ever brings dogs with them, and some of our days run from 5am to 11pm, so they must have to make other arrangements and be "inconvenienced" in lots of ways, not just in respect of their dogs!

There are lots of reasons why people volunteer - sheer altruism, wanting to give back to a sport or cause, supporting a relative, or just to get out of the house and fill their time. There's no fun in having volunteers around who don't want to be there or think they are being inconvenienced, so if the rules don't suit, don't volunteer for that thing, find another one.

You don't see all the stewards at the London Marathon bringing their dogs with them,
or Victim Support volunteers trotting into court with a pooch.

Honestly, if people think so little of horse sport that a ban on dogs means they wouldn't volunteer, well so be it. Maybe other people who don't currently volunteer because they don't like all the dogs being there will make up the numbers.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Run eventing safely or don‘t run it at all.

There has been a huge amount of progress made in improving the safety of the XC course itself, which is being completely undermined by the widespread ignoring/accepting of the continuing problem with loose dogs at events.

This, I actually don't understand how they've got away with it so long and why they haven't been instructed to ban dogs already.