Any other trainee riding instructors out there?

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
Thought we could have a little thread of our own since we've been unceremoniously booted out of careers :mad: (I'm still cross about this grr!)

Anyway, just wondered how many HHO'ers out there are working towards AI and beyond, and they're chosen path (BHS, UKCC etc.) and how they're training (working pupil, college, self study).

Bit of background on myself, I'm going down the self study route with lessons on RS horses at my local BHS approved RS. Got my R&RS in October, Stage 1 in January and am now studying for my Stage 2. Not sure when to put in for the exam, the RS I'm having my (occasional) lessons at has a Stage 2 in July, but was kinda hoping to have got it done before then so I can concentrate on PTT.

Lexiemoo

Visit site
Not sure if I count, I have my Stage 1 (both Parts) but have since been horseless, and unable to do my R&RS. Really need to pull my finger out and get this done and get back into it! Ive done the first part of mine self study with just lessons on school horses.
I think this is the way that I will continue with it.
I WILL be an AI one day! haha

Farma

Visit site
I am doing my stage 1 next month :) if i pass that then will get my r&rs done asap and start with stage 2 course asap. Really enjoying it so far which I am surprised at as everyone was so negative about the course before I started it!
I am aiming for my AI but as i work long hours I am planning on just getting there as and when!

millreef

Visit site
Hello! I'm doing my stage 2 jumping in May and hoping to do the PTT next year. I'm a fulltime secondary teacher in an international school so I don't have a lot of free time. I took my stage 2 stable management in 1989!:D

ruth83

Visit site
I've asked and asked Admin about careers - they claim they are only the monkey, we have no access to the organ grinder!

I am a qualified instructor but still working up the system so I'll throw my hat in the ring and say I'm here as a progressing instructor but also happy to help/offer advice to others if they would like.

I am currently a BHSII and Stable Manager. I am booked in to take the Senior Coaching exam (the teaching element of the BHSI) in May. I am doing a fair amount of self study and development through coaching my current students, combined with training sessions where possible.

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
Not sure if I count, I have my Stage 1 (both Parts) but have since been horseless, and unable to do my R&RS. Really need to pull my finger out and get this done and get back into it! Ive done the first part of mine self study with just lessons on school horses.
I think this is the way that I will continue with it.
I WILL be an AI one day! haha

Yay you count! :D Should be do-able without your own horse, though I must confess my darling Saf does put up with a lot what with me practicing bandaging various parts of her anatomy! Just get chummy with your local RS and see if you can borrow their horses to practice with.

I am doing my stage 1 next month :) if i pass that then will get my r&rs done asap and start with stage 2 course asap. Really enjoying it so far which I am surprised at as everyone was so negative about the course before I started it!
I am aiming for my AI but as i work long hours I am planning on just getting there as and when!

Good luck! Stage 1 really is straightforward, I know everyone says it. The books (I use the Hazel Reed series) teach you so much more than actually comes up in the exam. For example, I was left to it to tack up, groom, rug etc. no-one actually watched me do it so I could have chucked it on any old how! Also, didn't have any questions on watering, grooming items and a few other bits.

I agree, I found it refreshing to be studying a subject I genuinely find facinating :) I work part time, so I have plenty of time to practice, but by the same token, am skint all the time so can only afford the occasional lesson. Would like to rattle through as quickly as I can but appreciate it's not likely!

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
Hello! I'm doing my stage 2 jumping in May and hoping to do the PTT next year. I'm a fulltime secondary teacher in an international school so I don't have a lot of free time. I took my stage 2 stable management in 1989!:D

Crikey! I hope it doesn't take me quite that long LOL! Must be odd to go back to an exam after such a gap! And good luck for May :D

I've asked and asked Admin about careers - they claim they are only the monkey, we have no access to the organ grinder!

I am a qualified instructor but still working up the system so I'll throw my hat in the ring and say I'm here as a progressing instructor but also happy to help/offer advice to others if they would like.

I am currently a BHSII and Stable Manager. I am booked in to take the Senior Coaching exam (the teaching element of the BHSI) in May. I am doing a fair amount of self study and development through coaching my current students, combined with training sessions where possible.

Thanks Ruth, good to have someone on board who's been there and done it, and that's what I like about BHS, you can continue to work your way up as much as you like. Will try to think of some questions to fire at you :D Oh, and another good luck for you exam!

dafthoss

Visit site
Dont know if I'm aiming to be an instructor but I'd like to get my AI, planning on going about it a slightly diffrent route though and doing my B test then my stage 3. Just need to persuade the lady that does our pc tests that YP is suitable for me to do my B test on.

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
Ah a different angle indeed DH, is that the Pony Club route? Not familiar with the PC tests series. However I was thinking about getting involved with my local PC as a way of getting some experience teaching (I have little 'proper' experience in teaching) so fingers crossed I can get involved and just help out a bit.

2horsesnomoney

Visit site
Hello All,
I have just got my AI and am currently freelancing and still hoping to continue up the BHS ladder so planning on stage 4 care this year and work towards intermediate TT think thats the best way to go. Anyone have any ideas / tips?? I went though my stages fairly quick from nothing to AI in 12 months and all self study and went to college on a course in the evenings to brush up on things. unfortuntly to old (well only 28 but still), and to many responsabilitys for working pupil route. so although it has been hard and expensive i have enjoyed every min! good to hear from you all !!

dafthoss

Visit site
Yep PC B test gets you direct access to your stage 3 if your still a pc member so need to get on with it really :eek:.

Yes you should, I dont know that much about the pc's in your area but we are in the same area as some of the more northern ones so if you end up going to any of the area competitions look out for us :)

ruth83

Visit site
Hello All,
I have just got my AI and am currently freelancing and still hoping to continue up the BHS ladder so planning on stage 4 care this year and work towards intermediate TT think thats the best way to go. Anyone have any ideas / tips?? I went though my stages fairly quick from nothing to AI in 12 months and all self study and went to college on a course in the evenings to brush up on things. unfortuntly to old (well only 28 but still), and to many responsabilitys for working pupil route. so although it has been hard and expensive i have enjoyed every min! good to hear from you all !!

Stage 4 tends to get far more practical and experienced based (that is not to put the initial stages down, just to highlight that Stage 4 is a higher level and more supervisor/managerial role). There are very few people who are succesful at Stage 4 if they are not immersed in the equine world. From this point of view I would say get out there and do as much as you can. Go and spend a few days at a stud. Go and groom at a few competitions - or at least watch the grooms preparing horses, look at the tack they use, take in how they do the aftercare when the horse is finished. Go and shadow a vet for a few days and spend a day or two at the clinic if possible. All of these things cost no more than time and travel. On top of this, keep up to date with new updates and innovations in the equine world - H&H is good for this.

May I ask, when you say nothing to AI in 12 months, what do you mean by nothing? Were you a real novice or 1 horse owner? Or were you already in the industry and doing but not qualified? I don't wish to discourage you at all - indeed the more people progressing through the system the better! But, there is a fairly large step up after the AI. If you were the former, I would encourage you to spend a year or so doing the above bits and immersing yourself in the industry as much as possible before attempting the Intermediate (the Stage 4 care first is a good step and could be a point between but still get as much experience as possible first). I say this from experience. I went to attempt my ITT about 6 months after gaining my AI (and I had been doing a fair amount by that point, not loads but more than many) and was COMPLETELY out of my depth. I didn't enjoy the exam at all and found it quite disheartening, but looking back it was because I lacked experience.

As I say, I DON'T want to put you off - but equally I don't want you to be put off by being unsuccesful in your exams.

superpony

Visit site
Hi everyone.
I am self studying around work and am aiming for my AI. I have passed stage 1 and am doing my road safety next month whilst also revising for my stage 2.

RideTheLightning

Visit site
Hello all, I'm hoping to do my Stage 2 in the summer, got my Stage 1 and R&RS a few years ago. I think I'm most worried about the jumping and lunging, need some more lessons I think! I work full time and have a share horse and find it quite difficult to fit training in. I'm still debating about whether to do riding and care separately as I think it would be less stressful (although more expensive!) - what are others views/experiences of this?

Rebels

Visit site
I'm trying the UKCC route if I can get on to a local course. I've done my Pony Club instructors course so am teaching littlies under the Pony Club but not insured to freelance. I had my own group at PC camp last year and hoping to do so again this year.

Spottyappy

Visit site
My daughter is doing her stage 2 this week. She goes to college doing the extended diploma in equine, so it does cross with the BHS exams, but is largely self taught, helped by me and occasional lessons from an AI.
I did my stage 2 about 1984, and trainned towards the AI, but got disillusioned with the BHS as back then people didn't really need to be able to ride well, and several I was training with were too nervous to get on and sort out problem ponies in a lesson, so I felt the point was missing! At least now if you do the whole exam, you need to be able to ride well!
My daughter wants me to train with her now, and I am sorely tempted as need to get out of my current job which I do not enjoy. This could be the way to do it.
I would be very interested in hearing how those of you who are doing the AI yourselves, are putting the portfolio together, and gained your experience to teach. What I do worry about too, is teaching is a gift. My daughter has that gift, but I am not half as good as explaining things as she is. How do you get yourselves to improve your way of teaching so you make it both enjoyable, and understandable to your pupils? Sadly,seen many boring teachers,who are not effective and pupils do not improve as I personally would expect. Non horsey parents sending their offspring for lessons,sadly,often do not realise this is why,when the children lose interest.
All input appreciated.

Last edited:

2horsesnomoney

Visit site
Stage 4 tends to get far more practical and experienced based (that is not to put the initial stages down, just to highlight that Stage 4 is a higher level and more supervisor/managerial role). There are very few people who are succesful at Stage 4 if they are not immersed in the equine world. From this point of view I would say get out there and do as much as you can. Go and spend a few days at a stud. Go and groom at a few competitions - or at least watch the grooms preparing horses, look at the tack they use, take in how they do the aftercare when the horse is finished. Go and shadow a vet for a few days and spend a day or two at the clinic if possible. All of these things cost no more than time and travel. On top of this, keep up to date with new updates and innovations in the equine world - H&H is good for this.

May I ask, when you say nothing to AI in 12 months, what do you mean by nothing? Were you a real novice or 1 horse owner? Or were you already in the industry and doing but not qualified? I don't wish to discourage you at all - indeed the more people progressing through the system the better! But, there is a fairly large step up after the AI. If you were the former, I would encourage you to spend a year or so doing the above bits and immersing yourself in the industry as much as possible before attempting the Intermediate (the Stage 4 care first is a good step and could be a point between but still get as much experience as possible first). I say this from experience. I went to attempt my ITT about 6 months after gaining my AI (and I had been doing a fair amount by that point, not loads but more than many) and was COMPLETELY out of my depth. I didn't enjoy the exam at all and found it quite disheartening, but looking back it was because I lacked experience.

As I say, I DON'T want to put you off - but equally I don't want you to be put off by being unsuccesful in your exams.

Ruth, well when i say nothing i mean no equine qualifications as such, I am an equine veterinary nurse and have owned and brought on my own horses for a number of years altough not managed to climb the competition ladder for one reason or horse problem or another. I freelance teach now work as equine nurse and am a committee member for my local riding club running events and such. So i am in the equine industry am and involved in much of the things you mentioned. I help groom and attend one day events as often as i can also i watch other local instructors to learn and will be observing my local course builder for a few days over the summer you can never learn to much.
So i hope i will be ready for stage 4 this year and progress from there- thank you for your advise. Just wanted people to know you can do it if you put your mind and dedication to it! i had a lot of people saying i would not get this far as i wasnt a working pupil and putting me off but be honest work hard it can be done.

hope that ans. your Qu. ruth

x

ruth83

Visit site
2horses - that all sounds like good experience and should mean you're in a good position to progress.

Ridethelightning - Lunging is always a weak spot at Stage 2 so any time spent brushig that up will be well spent! Can you find an up to date registered instructor who could come and give you an assessment lesson on your share horse to see where they feel you are in terms of the riding?
When I did my exams I found that doing both sections on the same day helped to focus me in terms of training and meant that, on the day, I wasn't sat around between sections getting worked up. (As well as being cheaper!!)

Spottyappy - Practise on as many people as possible and get them to give you feedback. Also, turn situations around on yourself and think how would you like them to be explained? Little changes can make things more interesting - especially from a kids point of view. For example, instead of just riding from letter to letter to practise steering - give them a question with an easy answer that starts with an arena letter, they then have to ride to this letter. Or practise steering over a course of cones or poles.
You obviously have the motivation to want to make your teaching better - this is always a good thing. The much bigger problem is those boring or very incorrect instructors who think they are good enough (or, more often, think they are better than most!) and are not open to suggestion or improvement.

JackJill

Visit site
Can I join in? I seriously need some motivation to crack on with the rest of my qualifications. Had some great advice last year from Ruth83 then failed to do anything about it! Always so busy blah blah seem to make excuses however I'm really struggling to find anyone to help see if I'm on the right track without travelling miles or it being at the same time as my own teaching commitments ........ Think I just need someone to kick start me in to action!

misterjinglejay

Visit site
I'm working towards my stage 2 riding (having problems with my nerves at the jumping bit), then I want to take my PTT, and my stage 3 and 4 care.

At the moment I work as a YM on a large livery/riding school. And teach dressage 'unofficially'. I've competed up to ad medium, so feel I can pass something on to others :D

RideTheLightning

Visit site
Ridethelightning - Lunging is always a weak spot at Stage 2 so any time spent brushig that up will be well spent! Can you find an up to date registered instructor who could come and give you an assessment lesson on your share horse to see where they feel you are in terms of the riding?
When I did my exams I found that doing both sections on the same day helped to focus me in terms of training and meant that, on the day, I wasn't sat around between sections getting worked up. (As well as being cheaper!!)

Thanks for the advice ruth, I'm definitely going to find a registered instructor to come and look at my riding and lunging. I'm also going to investigate having some lessons at Trent Park as this is where I'll probably do my exam. I found that really helped for my Stage 1. I think I will do both sections in one day as have just looked on the BHS website and it is a lot cheaper than I thought!

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
Hi, can I join. I'm an AJ but really want to take my 4 and work towards II but put off by the jumping as I mainly focus on dressage these days. there is no way around this is there or am I going to have to man up and crack on with it. Ive no nerves with tricky, naughty horses or youngsters and get on most anything if required but since having a baby I just don't enjoy jumping anymore, the "risk" outweighs the pleasure for me. Disheartened as I am keen to further my career down the schooling, dressage, bringing on youngsters route but want qualifications to support this. Any thoughts?

ruth83

Visit site
SouthWestWhippet - You can take the Intermediate Teach without the Stage 4, but you will not be able to claim the full BHSII title without the full Stage 4 including jumping.

Bit late for this season but I found that hunting did wonders for my jumping confidence. I forked out for a couple of days on a hireling which knew its job inside out.

You have to weigh up not just risks vs pleasure but also these factors vs desire to progress. I was really struggling with jumping when I did my stage 4 and had to really push myself to continue. The thought of jumping an unknown horse over up to 1.20m for the BHSI doesn't fill me with thrills but I am a lot less worried about it than I was when I was approaching the Stage 4. I want to progress therefore I have to kick myself up the rear and do it!!!

JVB

Visit site
Hi, I'm just starting out as well. Just got stage 1 and forms sent off for R&RS, while studying for stage 2 in spare time. Hoping to get AI within a year. At that point I'll swap over and do UKCC level 2 then back for BHS II. After that it'll be a toss up between UKCC level 3 dressage and SJ or BHS I depending on which will flow better. I would also like to become a BHS assessor in time and teach at local equine college (got PGCE). I'm expecting it will take about 10 years in total!

I'm also planning on becoming a BD trainee judge after I've got my AI.

July/ Aug will be the time to create a website and up the freelance work, currently I teach a few on my yard.

Think I'll also see about going on my RC comittee and get more involved there.

Hoping that by next year I'll be able to start looking for sponsors to aid the competing and get my name known a bit more in the area.

Good luck to everyone!

celia

Visit site
Interesting thread. It's great to hear about everyone's experiences and future plans. I currently have my stage III care and will hopefully get around to doing my stage II riding in the next 18 months or so. I'd like to join the 'lacking in confidence when jumping' group, please - I'm fine on a horse I know, but the thought of getting on a random horse and setting off round a course is fairly terrifying! No great rush though, as although I'd love to gain my teaching qualifications eventually, it's not something I see myself making into a full-time career so it's more for personal satisfaction than anything else. :)

zaminda

Visit site
I have finally got going on qualifiying, I have been doing bits of teaching for a few years, but really wanted to have some proper backing. I have my Stage 1 on Thursday, but I did take my riding and road safety as a child, so at least don't have to do that before I do my 2. My problem is I mainly ride racehorses and problem horses, so do need to go back to 'normal' riding!!
I am hoping to crack on and get my AI within 12 months, then look at further progress when I'm doing more teaching.

~ Clear Light ~

Visit site
In a nutshell, I took BHS Stages 1 and 2 then decided to go and train in Germany instead and passed the IQEG International Level 1 in 2011 (BHSAI equivalent) I'm doing the next stage, the Level 2, this September. I just found I got more out of doing it this way and it suited me perfectly (tough though!) I wrote an indepth account of my experience of the course in my blog:

http://clearlightequestrian.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/training-in-germany.html