Anyone do far away shows/overnight shows with a trailer!?

McW

Visit site
I don't want to do the standard lorry vs trailer thread.

I am more interested in those of you who stay away and only have a trailer, is this even possible as I know you have to stay on site with the horse. Do you camp? Tbh that idea just isn't appealing :(

If anyone has had a trailer for shows 2+ hrs do you find it practical or do you wish you had a lorry?

Anyone go to camp/couple of days shows with a trailer and 4x4?

I would be interested to hear people's stories of competing away from home/few days in a row with only a trailer, although I feel there will be a lot of short answers that it is isn't possible/worth the Argo.

cruzing

Visit site
Have been to camp with two horses and two people with a trailer. We just booked in a bed and breakfast. Never stayed at comps, but would sleep in a trailer. Have gone 3 1/2 hours in a trailer and came back the same day. It is easier in a lorry tho.

3Beasties

Visit site
I've never done it with a horse but have spent a night sleeping in my trailer and I know 3 children that shared a trailer for 3 nights at PCC (2 of them where on camp beds, the other was on a hammock hung above the camp beds!) so I think it is doable!

I would clean the inside of the trailer as well as you can do before you go. Possibly take partition out and just travel with a full length bar if possible? Then try and get to the show as early as you can, sort horse out and then wash out any fresh poo/muck so it has time to dry. I slept on the floor of my trailer (it was nearly new so still very clean) but a camp bed would probably be a better option. The bed could go length ways down the trailer, one side of the partition if partition still in. The remaining space could be use for hanging clothes, storing you food, you might even be able to have a small table and gas stove in there.

I think I would store all the horse stuff in the car if possible so you don't have to sleep in smelly surroundings, you could maybe padlock the wheel barrow to outside of trailer so it doesn't go walk abouts!

I think it's definitely doable, having a trailer rather then a lorry wouldn't put me off. There are always loads of food stands at shows so you don't need to worry about cooking so as long as you are organised and prepared I don't think it would be a problem.

The only real issue I can think of is if there was more then one person going, you could probably still manage with 2 of you but any more would be a struggle!

Go and have fun :D

Squiggles on Paper

Visit site
I'll up you one, I do stay away shows with no trailer or horse box (no one in my family wants to drive the horse and I'm too young) so I would say it is definitely possible to just do them with a trailer :)

MagicMelon

Visit site
I don't stay away anymore at events as I have a 1yr old now and its just too difficult! But me and my mum (aka the groom!) used to spend the odd night away at events with a trailer. We used to put those fold out bed things in each side of the trailer, my biggest tip is definately wear lots of clothes AND a big duvet as its ALWAYS freezing even with it all shut up on a summers night! Cant say I ever enjoyed it as such, but its better IMO than sleeping in a tent, yuck!

Gamebird

Visit site
Yup. I've done everything from quick overnight stops to whole 3DEs (often 5 nights away) in mine. Every trailer I've had has always leaked atrociously so I've never been that keen on sleeping in it. I take a tent and use the trailer as a wardrobe/changing room/storage area. I also cook in the trailer id it's wet. I have also slpet in my car if it's been raining very hard and I didn't want to put the tent up or in March when it was just too cold to do otherwise. I'm a pretty good sleeper but it was surprisingly comfortable. I take a sleeping bag and duvet and am never cold. The bonus if you've got a car and trailer is that you can always unhitch and go off to the supermarket/pub. I often get sent with a shopping list by the people with lorries!

I'd much rather have a lorry but barring a lottery win that will never happen. It's much more sociable too as you tend to be sitting outside round your stove etc. - you're not in a lorry behind a closed door - so people always come up and chat. Lucinda Green once stopped by for a glass of wine when I was at Blair!

TRECtastic

Visit site
lots of people at TREC comps sleep in their trailer , ive slept in mine a few times ,I take the partition out then sweep & wash it out , once dry ive got a tent bedroom that I put inside the trailer using twine to hold it up then put a camp bed inside , ive always been nice and toasty inside
there are a few tips on this thread if you're interested

http://www.trec-uk.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=1561.0

Brecon

New User
Visit site
We used to do some competitions with a 4x4 and trailer, did single nights and weekends once or twice. We'd take tents to sleep in and use the trailer for storage and changing. Always used to work fine apart from being a bit cold sometimes!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I did my last event (3 day) with just a trailer to call home ;) same tactics as gamebird. It was fine although I didn't have a car, I was dropped off and left to my own devices.
I was just thrilled to be there. Lots of nice people took pity on me too :D agree that it's easier to be sociable when you're outside.

Zebedee

Visit site
We've done the sleeping in a trailer bit. We used camp beds for sleeping. & a gas hob for cooking. It was adequate. We now have an Equitrek which does all that + has a loo !

Worried1

Visit site
Us we regularly go away for days at a time in just a Richardson trailer and Discovery. We tend to book Travelodges, Premier Inns or B&B, we usually know we are going in advance so take advantage of discount codes etc.

We can't camp we have a mini W and that's the excuse I'm using till he's at least 18!

To be honest it's cheap to stay in budget hotels than Hook up for the duration of the show sometimes!

bryonyjane

Visit site
When I lived at home I always used to stay away at events (the 45min ferry journey and 3+ hour drive to each event ruled out day trips :p) and we only had a trailer. Used to sleep on camp beds in the trailer, it was fine just used to scrub out with some water first and wear lots of clothes! We towed with a long wheel base landrover defender, and as our trailer leaked my dad managed to construct a sort of platform to sleep on in the back which my mum and I shared wherefore my second season having got fed up of getting wet, bit cosy but at least it didn't leak! Makes me smile remembering the lengths we went to so I could jump round some BE90s :rolleyes:
Ditto gamebird, it is great being able to nip to the shops in the car though...amazing how much more bearable trailer camping becomes with some good food and wine!

showjumpingfilly

Visit site
Ive done/still do it too.

It was nicer with the lorry and heating but its perfectly doable.

Campbeds or blow up matresses on top of tarpaulin, LAYERS! And hundereds of the in winter (arena uk in january = 2 sets pjs, hoody, 2 fleece blankets, sleeping bag an 2 duvets and you're sort of warm!!) Getting changed into cold clothes is a big downside but we used to put them in the car for a bit first.

Have used an equitrek a couple of times which is obviously a big plus with the living.

Trailer vs tent - trailer everytime!
And after some of the lorries we've had I'd often choose the trailer anyway!

NaeNae87

Visit site
I have literally just come back from an event where we camped in my float for 2 nights

We normally camp at events and I quite like it. I wouldn't want to do it for a week but for a few nights, it's really not all that bad.

The horse area gets scrubbed out with water and disinfectant and left to dry. We then roll out a swag to sleep in with LOTS of layers and warm blankets. During the day, the float doubles as a change room so we roll the beds up and stack them against a wall.

We normally build a fire and use that for heating and have a 3 metre by 3 metre portable shelter which we sit and cook under. We make sure we have eski's, stuff to cook and eat with as well as lights and it is fine.

Sure a truck would probably be more convenient, but they are so expensive that the majority of people over here do the same as us.

Here is the float we slept in and th ebig bag near it, is the swag. I don't have a pic of our set up once everyone had arrived, but the shelter and fire were on the other side of the car.
harvey_zps8c38eb8f.jpg

bgb

Visit site
Slept two nights at PC champs in tents with trailer as storage/changing. There were ample showers + toilets on site and we went out for dinner both nights. However, disco was full to brim even with roof box and everything got a bit messy and disorganised very quickly! Looking to get a equi trek - either the show treka or star treka - purely to save space in the car and two people have bunks. Longing for a lorry but know it's never going to happen!

Orchardbeck

Visit site
Love the idea of camping in trailers - 2 day for endurance events we always had a (big) tent which has now bitten the dust but may try the trailer in future!

Lyle

Visit site
I've camped for years in Floats, in various sizes, each getting a bigger and comfier as they progressed :p

Basically, take out the dividers/chest bars etc so you have a nice space. The best idea my mother came up with was to purchase a piece of outdoor carpet to lay on the floor. Nice and clean, without being cold and plastic! You can also get a piece to put on the ground outside the personal access door so you step out onto clean ground.

Sleeping you have a few options, I used to love the swag as it was easy to just unroll and I had the mattress and sleeping bag already in there. Plus the canvas on top was incredibly warm. I'd also put the clothes for the next morning at under the canvas, so they'd be warm in the morning! My mum really liked camp stretchers, she felt it was comfier but a bit more of a pain to set up.

A portable table and chairs is a must, and you can get some pretty snazzy portable gas cookers for next to nothing, that run off a little canister. Great for boiling the kettle and cooking bacon and eggs in the morning!

A canvas hay bale bag is a good idea to keep your hay dry too :)

I do have a truck now, and I'd recommend the move if you are thinking about camping a lot ;)

Festive_Felicitations

Visit site
Definetly do able!

All ODE's here are run over 2 days and I always camp in my trailer. They are also all at least 2hrs drive away as a rule.
This is my set up:
01042012493.jpg

I'm sleeping the side where Beau travels just cleaned out and swept on the float cover, a fleece rug, camping mat and sleeping bag. Doesnt smell particularly at all.

I'm pretty good at managing the tacking up etc out of the back of the car and all my riding gear is hung/arranged on the back seat. The front of the trailer becomes my changing room (trailer has 2 front doors). The secret is being organised I think. I'm always on my own so I know where I have left stuff.

Hay and feed travels in a hay bag tied into place on the other side of the divider to Beau.

ETS - just seen all the other Aus based riders/eventers have responded! :D Very few people have lorries here.

For food I make lots of sandwiches before the weekend and live off them and chocolate buiscuits, juice and fruit. If I get a craving for hot food there is always some going at events.

Last edited:

Wells

Visit site
Took the trailer & 4x4 to the RC champs last September & camped - don't think I've ever been so cold at night! Would recommend lots of layers. The hardest thing was getting everything in the car & 2 people. I took all my shavings as only straw available onsite & didn't trust my horse not to have eaten it all by the morning! Inflatable bed for the tent is a must - I've got a portable tyre pressure checker / inflater that plugs into the cigarette lighter & it blew it up in seconds. Other useful things (if you can fit them in) is a bike & / or wheelbarrow - the campsite can be a hike from the stables. Also practise putting up the tent before you get there - by the time we got there & had sorted the horse out, it was already starting to get dark - not sure how you all manage to get the trailer cleaned out & washed down?! I threatened to put the one man tent in the trailer but my OH hid it as he said it would only end up stinking of horses.
Most important things to remember are wine & cake - it will help you make friends with people who have all the things you have forgotton / couldn't fit in!

McW

Visit site
Damn you all, I wanted to show the husband it wasn't possible!!!!! And that we simply must buy a lorry!!! Hehe!

But seriously thank you, it has given me a boost to start looking for away shows and start planning!

tinap

Visit site
We've always had a trailer not a lorry & have stayed away loads. We used to always take a tent but then I figured for not much money you can almost always get a Travelodge/Premier Inn/Ibis nearby ;) the longest we stayed in a tent onsite with the horse was 4 days but tbh I always feel quite happy leaving them while we stay somewhere else now. I'll only stay overnight if its at least a 2 day show though, anything over 2.5hrs for a one day we don't bother with (although saying that we drove from Yorkshire to Hickstead on a Friday, jumped on Sat morning & came home Sat night once! It was a 7 hour trip!!) xx

HardySoul1

Visit site
I've lots of TREC friends who trailer. One has an inner tent she puts up inside trailer, keeps her cosy and dry.
If you have a stove take a hot water bottle too. Fill this before you're ready for bed and slip it in your sleeping bag. Nice and warm by bedtime.
Try and take stuff in plastic boxes or tubs with lids. Then you can move them outside if you want more space in trailer.
Keep your matches dry!