Anyone else need rain?

windand rain

Visit site
We have had some rain but you only have to scratch the surface and it is bone dry, the joys of sandy soil

Wishfilly

Visit site
We have had some rain, but definitely less than forecast (West Cornwall). There's more due later in the week. In April, we apparently only have about 10% of the average rainfall, so some is desperately needed. The grass is starting to grow a little, but the ground is rock hard, still.

Suechoccy

Visit site
We had 12mm of rain in the whole of April in Cambridgeshire and 19 frosty nights so we have rockhard ground, deep cracks in it and no grass. It is finally raining now today 2 May since about 4pm, much needed. (I can remember saying during the winter just gone "please can it stop raining").

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
The rain has come and so has the wind! Moved all my balcony/terrace plants closer to the house and under some stuff for shelter. I just spent quite a bit on some young plants and don't want to lose them!

Our days of riding in the outdoor school are over for now. Good thing we have an indoor.

Horse is sensitive to weather changes so I'm sure he'll be very "alert" today.

Not sure how much dog walking I want to do in this weather ? dog went outside for a wee, ate her breakfast, and went back to bed. ? haven't seen her since.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
It's been stormy and very wet here for 24 hours, more forecast for today. It was much needed, the ground was rock hard. Already, everywhere is looking greener and fresh.
Poor horses had just gone on summer turnout at the weekend, but were standing at the gate looking bedraggled by lunchtime, so we're back to winter turnout until it improves.
Even the cats have been using me and the dogs as warming mats.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It has poured down here with gale force winds and power cut at 10.30 last night, thankfully power is back on now but more rain due today, it's meant to be 19 degrees by the end of the week at last some warmth hooray!

southerncomfort

Visit site
Torrential rain for the last 24 hours. Gales too. And cold! Had to get my woolly hat and winter coat back out.

I've pretty much given up on spring ever arriving now.

Seriously thinking about selling up and jacking it all in. Genuinely just had enough and can't see the point in enduring cr@p weather for 7 or 8 months of the year. Climate change is making horse ownership an absolute misery.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Ok that's enough rain for now ? and I've just seen snow showers forecast for later in the week.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Supposed to be much warmer at the end of the week. Big temp increase. Here's to hoping the grass grows!

We (well, YO's) were waiting for the grass to grow, but now we'll be waiting for the fields to dry. It's possible the horses will he allowed out in June, maybe.

Quite said as many horses only see turnout June through Sept/Oct then.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
It's not just the lack of rain during April that's the problem, it's the fact that the temperature varies so much. It's 13 in the day & almost freezing over night. Hay will not grown until the lowest temperature is around 4 deg. We've hardly got any growth at all & if it doesn't start growing soon hay will attract premium prices. Additionally current stocks of hay rom last summer are running out. As for rain, we've got it in spades today but still need more to really sink into rock hard ground.

fredflop

Visit site
Every year on here it’s comments like... “it will be the worst year for hay ever”. “People will be PTS as they can’t get hay”

ive no doubt that some years are worse than others... but on here it’s doom and gloom every year

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Every year on here it’s comments like... “it will be the worst year for hay ever”. “People will be PTS as they can’t get hay”

ive no doubt that some years are worse than others... but on here it’s doom and gloom every year
Yup.
However, farmer friend has advised me to get hay if offered from elsewhere, he and his late father before him have supplied my hay since early 70s. He says he cannot guarantee anything much this year.
He's v concerned as to getting any sileaging done for his cattle. They are clearing any grass quite quickly now most are out.
Hoping this is just a local issue tho.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
The hay is not as far along in some spots but I don't think it's totally catastrophic here. Especially now that we have rain and some warmer temperatures at the end of the week.

People are running out now though, so 1st cut us probably pretty much spoken for, I imagine.

I do think I might be priced out of having a horse eventually if everything continues to steadily rise. It just won't be worth it to me. If I eventually settle somewhere and buy some land (ha, as prices rise there too) maybe that'll work ok. My income is not low, but the amount paid for one horse just becomes obscene at some point.

ETA: my post is doom and gloom, but just a personal perspective. I won't pay 1000€ + a month for one horse just in livery and feed. Obviously I could move somewhere that horse keeping cost less, but I don't have a whole lot of control over where I live in the next years (job stuff).

No idea how things will actually turn out. Hoping for the best.

Last edited:

Callieann

Visit site
Well we finally got our rain here. Three days and still raining stair rods. I think I should be careful what I wish for. Stables are completely flooded, most of the bedding is now swimming around the yard.

Dexter

Visit site

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Yup.
However, farmer friend has advised me to get hay if offered from elsewhere, he and his late father before him have supplied my hay since early 70s. He says he cannot guarantee anything much this year.
He's v concerned as to getting any sileaging done for his cattle. They are clearing any grass quite quickly now most are out.
Hoping this is just a local issue tho.
pretty worrying over here, normally we have stacks left over this time of year but it's dwindling fast after last year's pathetic offering, and fields rested since January have nothing on at all. OH has turned down any hay customers cos otherwise my lot will be hungry, just supplies a long term friend who has a bale every month. Gloucestershire.

J&S

Visit site
We have had some rain but the wind is drying every thing up almost straight away.