Anyone know what happened?

Pebble101

Visit site
Morning all. Good news. “All under control.” The grey, Vida, is walking out pretty comfortably and back to his usual grumpy self.
That is good news, was it two others they were concerned about? Thanks for the update, I have been on here several times this morning.

Reacher

Visit site
Morning all. Good news. “All under control.” The grey, Vida, is walking out pretty comfortably and back to his usual grumpy self.
Thankyou Quigley, and for your previous updates, that brought tears to my eyes. Everything crossed for a good recovery for horses and riders and best wishes to your son and the other vets / people involved

Peglo

Visit site
thank you for the update @Quigleyandme. I’ve been worrying about the horses but I also can’t stop thinking about your son and his colleagues and what a stressful time they must be having. I’m glad things are looking positive this morning and they can hopefully relax a bit.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
In your (entirely valid) opinion, however a picture editor had a different opinion.
The grey and black galloped down Fleet Street. It would be unnatural if pictures weren’t taken. My son caught a plumbing contractor at the barracks taking sneaky pictures of the horses undergoing emergency veterinary treatment possibly with a view to selling them. That didn’t go down too well.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
Thank you @Quigleyandme for updating us as lots of us were worried for the horses. It's a relief to get some reliable feedback as to their condition. Hope the oral exams go well today.
Wishing the injured riders all the best and hope the horses continue to recover.
I hope your son and his colleagues are over the shock of it and glad to hear they're in good spirits.

meleeka

Visit site
An update says two are in a serious condition and one of those transferred to an equine hospital. It also says some of them are expected back on duty eventually. I wonder how, mentally, those horses get over that experience?

webble

Visit site
An update says two are in a serious condition and one of those transferred to an equine hospital. It also says some of them are expected back on duty eventually. I wonder how, mentally, those horses get over that experience?
How bad were some affected? If there were any that spooked the rider fell and then they were caught straight away it likely wont have been much worse than the average fall from a horse perspective, obviously the injured ones will not be in that category

teapot

Visit site
How bad were some affected? If there were any that spooked the rider fell and then they were caught straight away it likely wont have been much worse than the average fall from a horse perspective, obviously the injured ones will not be in that category

The one that hit the bus was caught pretty quickly!

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
A passerby was interviewed saying she saw a horse being led with head injuries and a lot of blood. They may have been caught quite soon/close but still had a chance to injure themselves. There were at least 2 vehicles that were run into apart from the black cab in the film clip and we don't know which caused this

It's easy to assume that the 2 that galloped through London had the worst injuries but we don't know that.

If you read Quigley's report, her son initially was going after the 2 running but was called back to deal with one at the mews before heading to Wapping so that was at least one other with serious injuries.

Pebble101

Visit site
I have seen something saying the rider of the grey horse had said he had slipped on a drain cover and fell. However I'm not sure how reliable this information is but it wouldn't be a surprise.

Squeak

Visit site
I have seen something saying the rider of the grey horse had said he had slipped on a drain cover and fell. However I'm not sure how reliable this information is but it wouldn't be a surprise.

Yes, she posted on the FB group Shitedressageridersunite saying that was what happened.

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
Thanks for the update, I woke early this morning and the first thing I thought of was whether they had made it through the night
So did I. Poor horses
Thanks so much for the update Quigley and I hope your son is ok having to deal with them as it must be traumatic and not something he’s seen before and let’s hope never again.
I’m old enough to remember the IRA bombing of the HC and how traumatic that was for everyone involved

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
So did I. Poor horses
Thanks so much for the update Quigley and I hope your son is ok having to deal with them as it must be traumatic and not something he’s seen before and let’s hope never again.
I’m old enough to remember the IRA bombing of the HC and how traumatic that was for everyone involved
Not presuming to speak for Quigleyandme, or Son-of-Quilgleyandme, but this is a veterinary surgeon's day job and they will have dealt with all sorts of injury and trauma during training. Dealing with things without becoming traumatised is one of the requirements of the job.

teapot

Visit site
Not presuming to speak for Quigleyandme, or Son-of-Quilgleyandme, but this is a veterinary surgeon's day job and they will have dealt with all sorts of injury and trauma during training. Dealing with things without becoming traumatised is one of the requirements of the job.

Yes and no. Some military vets actually locum into civvie street to get more experience.

Also, speaking generally here, qualified vets don’t do the full year at Sandhurst, instead a short course of eight weeks before heading off for further training at one of the Defence colleges, then join their first regiment/posting. Some naturally will have practised before joining the military, but you can in theory go straight from uni to the short course with limited life experience :)

Would be generally interested to know how good the facilities are at Knightsbridge - I’d be pleasantly surprised if they had the ability/space/facilities to anaesthetise a horse.

Last edited:

druid

Visit site
Yes and no. Some military vets actually locum into civvie street to get more experience.

Also, speaking generally here, qualified vets don’t do the full year at Sandhurst, instead a short course of eight weeks before heading off for further training at one of the Defence colleges, then join their first regiment/posting. Some naturally will have practised before joining the military, but you can in theory go straight from uni to the short course with limited life experience :)

Would be generally interested to know how good the facilities are at Knightsbridge - I’d be pleasantly surprised if they had the ability/space/facilities to anaesthetise a horse.

Surgery doesn't necesarily mean dropping the horse under a full GA though, plenty of standing procedures we would consider surgery - we've done transcondylar frature screws under standing sedation...!

teapot

Visit site
Surgery doesn't necesarily mean dropping the horse under a full GA though, plenty of standing procedures we would consider surgery - we've done transcondylar frature screws under standing sedation...!

I know - that’s kinda my point :) How much can they actually do in situ with the set up they as an Army barracks have, facility and equipment wise.

When I saw the ‘two operated on’ update my first thought was what’s their definition of operate on…