Anyone know what happened?

Abacus

Visit site
My point is that they didn’t need to use those distressing pictures at all.
They would argue that these events are in the public interest and that the pictures shown are proportionate in that context. I agree; distressing they may be, but the public should be informed even when the facts are unpleasant or upsetting. For the same reason they show humans with injuries in war zones or natural disasters.

Some of the language of the reporting, though, has been ill-informed and doesn’t reflect horse behaviour (rampaging!).

Beausmate

Visit site
Yes, it might need people to give up riding if people haven’t got access to off road riding.

Still doesn’t make it right or safe to take horses out on the road, though…

It only happens now because of historical reasons, but modern roads and modern sensibilities are a very different entity now to years ago.
The off-road riding where I am, is badly maintained and verging on dangerous in places. So do I sell up? There would be dozens, if not more, horses being given up in this area if road hacking wasn't possible.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The off-road riding where I am, is badly maintained and verging on dangerous in places. So do I sell up? There would be dozens, if not more, horses being given up in this area if road hacking wasn't possible.
That’s between you and your conscience.

You are aware of the risks of riding a horse out on today’s roads. The horse isn’t.

meleeka

Visit site
So because people can’t share nicely, we shouldn’t have horses? There’s roads near me that aren’t safe for pedestrians, never mind horses. Should my friend rehome her children too because they have to hope there’s no idiots about when they leave their house for a bike ride or a walk? Roads aren’t just there for car drivers, other users have a right to use them as well and if the risk is just accepted as too much, nobody would use them, including cyclists and pedestrians.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
You all want to accept the risks for yourself keep on riding on the road, carry on, it’s perfectly legal.

There’s no comparison between people on a road, who are aware of the risks and who are not going to spook out into traffic, and taking a horse out.

I’m a cyclist too. Cycling certainly has its risks, but my bike does not have a mind of its own. It might get bent in a smash, but though I’m very fond of it, it is not a sentient being.

Glad to have rattled some cages.

Michen

Visit site
Horrific thing to happen. Here in Co, lots of cars/trucks don't bother to slow down. But I feel so much safer on the roads, because they are really wide and generally don't have the totally blind bends of English windy country lanes. If I hear something big I usually have plenty of room to get out of the way.

Beausmate

Visit site

You are aware of the risks of riding a horse out on today’s roads. The horse isn’t.
Indeed it is. The off-road riding around here, is also used by green-laners, so very few choices on where to go to avoid traffic, and with the unsafe surfaces on the bridleways it is actually safer to ride on some of the roads. Maybe there should be stiffer penalties for poor driving, and safer routes for riders, as why should horse riders always be the poor relation when it comes to road safety? You'd never get cycleways verging on too hazardous to use for years at a time.

stormox

Visit site

I don't think you need to panic - thousands of horses get ridden on the roads daily with no problems.
Like everything, it's only the rare times there's an accident it's on the news.
No one gets on the news if they've been out for the perfect hack.

Miss_Millie

Visit site
With regards to hacking on the roads, I think that everyone has to risk-assess how safe their roads are and also if they and their horse are comfortable in that situation. I'm very rural and have a good network of bridleways locally, I have to hack 10 mins on a B road to get to them, but it is generally a quiet road, quiet enough that people walk their dogs on it (no pavement), go jogging etc. Some big vehicles do use the road, so I wouldn't hack it on a horse who isn't sure about oil lorries and big trucks. Mine is bombproof in traffic, so given all of these factors, I deem this small stretch fairly low-risk.

Problem is, you would never leave the house if you wanted to eliminate risk completely. I agree that it's only fair to put the animal first, but not all situations are equal. A freak accident could happen in the arena, I'd actually be more worried about riding my mare through a bridleway that involved a field of cows than on a quiet road with good visibility tbh.

Caol Ila

Visit site
With regards to hacking on the roads, I think that everyone has to risk-assess how safe their roads are and also if they and their horse are comfortable in that situation. I'm very rural and have a good network of bridleways locally, I have to hack 10 mins on a B road to get to them, but it is generally a quiet road, quiet enough that people walk their dogs on it (no pavement), go jogging etc. Some big vehicles do use the road, so I wouldn't hack it on a horse who isn't sure about oil lorries and big trucks. Mine is bombproof in traffic, so given all of these factors, I deem this small stretch fairly low-risk.

Problem is, you would never leave the house if you wanted to eliminate risk completely. I agree that it's only fair to put the animal first, but not all situations are equal. A freak accident could happen in the arena, I'd actually be more worried about riding my mare through a bridleway that involved a field of cows than on a quiet road with good visibility tbh.

I'd take a punt with traffic over a field of cows every day! Up to a point. I wouldn't ride on the A81 or any other fast, main A road.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
You all want to accept the risks for yourself keep on riding on the road, carry on, it’s perfectly legal.

There’s no comparison between people on a road, who are aware of the risks and who are not going to spook out into traffic, and taking a horse out.

I’m a cyclist too. Cycling certainly has its risks, but my bike does not have a mind of its own. It might get bent in a smash, but though I’m very fond of it, it is not a sentient being.

Glad to have rattled some cages.
I just don't really get your argument?

Is it that you think horses are at high risk on the roads and can't consent so this = cruelty?

And if so does this also apply to children? Dogs?

Landcruiser

Visit site
Vida (the grey) had an artery cut. Heard via someone who is in the Household Cavalry and knows the horse well. And actually, there's a bit of film on Sky where you can see uniformed police and then military holding a pad on the chest, to staunch the bleeding. No update on current condition though.

teapot

Visit site
Vida (the grey) had an artery cut. Heard via someone who is in the Household Cavalry and knows the horse well. And actually, there's a bit of film on Sky where you can see uniformed police and then military holding a pad on the chest, to staunch the bleeding. No update on current condition though.

BBC confirmed yesterday he was at Knightsbridge and doing ok!

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site

GTRJazz

Visit site
Watching that video of the Grey loose in London reminded me of the famous painting of the charge of the Scots Greys at Waterloo. Has our Cavalry gone a bit soft a bit of rubble down the shoot unseats them.

GTRJazz

Visit site
There's a bit of information here which is mixed as well as an 'expose' on barrack conditions.

The horrific conditions referred to by the whistleblower are dirty water, rats and stabled 24/7 with only an hour's exercise each day.
Thats most yards in the winter an hour a day some get a lot less. A flying visit from the owner and a little hand grazing at best

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Watching that video of the Grey loose in London reminded me of the famous painting of the charge of the Scots Greys at Waterloo. Has our Cavalry gone a bit soft a bit of rubble down the shoot unseats them.
A painting is not going to be an accurate representation but I would think there would be ones that ditched their rider and legged it though possibly going further into danger.

It's also possible that the horse that spooks away from a nearby cannon explosion could save their own and their riders life.

There was someone from the military on the radio this morning suggesting that the horses slipped on the road/drain covers losing their riders who if they'd stayed aboard would have brought them back under control

Pebble101

Visit site
There was someone from the military on the radio this morning suggesting that the horses slipped on the road/drain covers losing their riders who if they'd stayed aboard would have brought them back under control
The rider of the grey said he slipped on a drain cover and she was trapped underneath. I have just seen footage of the grey taking a crashing fall as it tripped over some ebikes - that would be where the injuries happened. Same footage shows a mounted horse appear to jump a car bonnet.

humblepie

Visit site
The rider of the grey said he slipped on a drain cover and she was trapped underneath. I have just seen footage of the grey taking a crashing fall as it tripped over some ebikes - that would be where the injuries happened. Same footage shows a mounted horse appear to jump a car bonnet.
Just seen that on the Daily Mail - haven't watched it too closely. Looks absolutely awful.

equinerebel

Visit site
Yeah it's hard to see, but I think the grey slips on a drain cover at a blind bolt and skids into the stationary e-bikes. The rider was lucky to (hopefully) not sustain major injuries in that fall.

Pebble101

Visit site
Yeah it's hard to see, but I think the grey slips on a drain cover at a blind bolt and skids into the stationary e-bikes. The rider was lucky to (hopefully) not sustain major injuries in that fall.
I think the rider was already off because she said the horse didn't have any blood on him when she came off and she wondered if it was done when he hit a vehicle.