Anyone tolerant enough to answer a pretty daft question?

Clodagh

Visit site
As it is for yourself I still don't understand the rush/why you didn't wait until spring?

This exactly. I don't mind how you have done it, how you look after your horses is entirely up to you. If you choose to risk them by introducing them the way you did is also up to you, but why deliberately plan a winter foal? What is the long term plan for the colt (sire)?

popsdosh

Visit site
I think AA makes two important points 1) if natural the mare would have been covered several months ago, it already isn't natural as it has been delayed by humans.
2) TB foals born in January- it is only a couple of months until spring, and grass etc. October is several more months away

OP I assume the colt is a highland?

As it is for yourself I still don't understand the rush/why you didn't wait until spring?[/QUOT

That Why you can feed all sorts of things ie high quality haylage to make up for the grass.
I suppose it is OK to do the unatural things they do to TBs to foal in Dec Jan and if you dont think they foal in December your misguided.
As I have said it would not be my choice however I would give a pony mare and foal more chance thjan a TB in similar circumstances

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
As always just because other people do things (including the racing industry!) it doesn't make it a good idea. The racing industry does lots of things I wouldn't

Alec Swan

Visit site
…….. TBs to foal in Dec Jan and if you dont think they foal in December your misguided. ……..

For TBs to race within their given years, two and three yos for instance, they need to be born as early in the year as possible. January 1st would be ideal, but as the gestation period is so unpredictable, most racing stock are born from Feb onwards through to about April. A December born foal would be 10 months (or so) younger and so behind others. A January foal would be early, but a December foal would be late, if you follow me.

The other point is that within the racing industry the Stud Farms know exactly what they're doing and those who care for the new born (Jan-feb-march) foals are highly skilled and experienced. I won't be alone in wondering if Poppy actually has any idea what she's doing, and I suspect that there are others who share my doubts. Sorry.

Alec.

Fools Motto

Visit site
Is this a 'random story' thread to get us all hyped up?
I can't fathom why you Poppy, would CHOOSE/WANT your mare covered now? (Along with everyone else). I'm all for natural covering, (it isn't disgusting, its natural), I can even get by on why you want a foal, but NOW?
Sign of the times, everyone (including me) are too impatient and try to get things done, like yesterday, and assume it is for the best, or at least OK.
I think, OP, you're going to need a load of help, but I won't be surprised if you ask on here, and get the cold shoulder told-you-so treatment. I'm also hoping that your mare will not be in foal, and won't be until at least March, with a therefore Feb 2017 foal at the earliest.

popsdosh

Visit site
For TBs to race within their given years, two and three yos for instance, they need to be born as early in the year as possible. January 1st would be ideal, but as the gestation period is so unpredictable, most racing stock are born from Feb onwards through to about April. A December born foal would be 10 months (or so) younger and so behind others. A January foal would be early, but a December foal would be late, if you follow me.

The other point is that within the racing industry the Stud Farms know exactly what they're doing and those who care for the new born (Jan-feb-march) foals are highly skilled and experienced. I won't be alone in wondering if Poppy actually has any idea what she's doing, and I suspect that there are others who share my doubts. Sorry.

Alec.

Your missing the point Alec ! I dont know any DEC born foals that are actually registered in there birth year. When a foal for example is early (prior 1st jan) because of this variation in gestation they then become a very forward foal of their crop.Just another trick of the TB world. Precocious foals equal better return.

Equi

Visit site
You are bloody ridiculous. Foals are not bred at this time of year to save the foal from being born into cold wet weather, so they have the best chance to survive outside and live as a normal horse. My foal is due july, which is MUCH later than i would like but is how things went. Why bother coming here and asking for advice if you don't bother to listen? Sorry but you will get no further help here.

Equi

Visit site
I think AA makes two important points 1) if natural the mare would have been covered several months ago, it already isn't natural as it has been delayed by humans.
2) TB foals born in January- it is only a couple of months until spring, and grass etc. October is several more months away

OP I assume the colt is a highland?

As it is for yourself I still don't understand the rush/why you didn't wait until spring?[/QUOT

That Why you can feed all sorts of things ie high quality haylage to make up for the grass.
I suppose it is OK to do the unatural things they do to TBs to foal in Dec Jan and if you dont think they foal in December your misguided.
As I have said it would not be my choice however I would give a pony mare and foal more chance thjan a TB in similar circumstances

TBs are artificially inseminated, put under artificial lights, given hormones etc.....they then live inside for years. very little about TB breeding is natural. You can NOT use it as an argument for this persons actions. A selfish action to breed a selfish foal.

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
TBs are artificially inseminated, put under artificial lights, given hormones etc.....they then live inside for years. very little about TB breeding is natural. You can NOT use it as an argument for this persons actions. A selfish action to breed a selfish foal.

You're using THIS as an argument to point out the error of what I've done?! Seriously? Like this is the optimum way? Hormones, Artificial everything. I'm not defending what I've done but let's not try and pass this other way off as 'better'.

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
You are bloody ridiculous. Foals are not bred at this time of year to save the foal from being born into cold wet weather, so they have the best chance to survive outside and live as a normal horse. My foal is due july, which is MUCH later than i would like but is how things went. Why bother coming here and asking for advice if you don't bother to listen? Sorry but you will get no further help here.

I think I've got that message loud and clear!

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
i won't be alone in wondering if Poppy actually has any idea what she's doing, and I suspect that there are others who share my doubts. Sorry.

Alec.

Why are you wondering? I've been quite open in the fact that this is all new to me but breeding aside, I know exactly what I'm doing. Many of you on this post may well doubt that but there we go.

popsdosh

Visit site
Equi get it right as you obviously dont really know a lot about breeding . I never used my comment to justify what the OP is doing merely to show it does not have to be the disaster others say it will be!
I WOULD NOT DO IT OUT OF CHOICE IN THERE SITUATION . However that does not mean it cannot work if you realise the pit falls.

'There are none so blind as those that dont want to see' I think fits this post well and not so much on the OPs side.
I cannot work out quite why some of the post seem to have become pretty nasty towards the OP there is no need for it as I see it the OP asked the question which you answer however because they do something different the whole world comes down on them. If you dont like what their doing just comment and leave it ! Luckily its still their choice.

GemG

Visit site
May be all sorts of reasons ! they may feel its not anybody else's business also.

Of course it is no one else's business, but putting it all on an open forum does invite comment and questions.

I totally agree it's doable and a foal can and quite possibly will manage just fine at that time of year. But I think all agree it's much nicer for all concerned to aim for a spring time birth. Forget the foal/mare for a minute - it's also much less stressful for the owner too as there is less to worry about and deal with. They have created a lot of unnecessary work and stress for themselves. (I know how stressed I was with an impending perfect spring time birth of a very experienced mare!).

I was suprised and a bit dissapointed by the OP decision, and I would not do the same thing personally - but I admire their candidness if nothing else.

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
I have no issue with the comments but some of the posters got a bit aggressive towards the OP in my opinion.

I'm big n hard n ugly enough to cope with it but your support and viewpoint is nonetheless very much appreciated. I expected to be vilified for it and it says more about the people posting than it does about me if they wish to descend to the level of calling me a moron, an idiot and even an ageing spinster! I have chosen a course of action that many feel is unwise and ill-thought out and I totally understand that this may well be the case. To suggest that my horses are poor sods though is quite frankly ridiculous, as all my animals are anything but.

luckyoldme

Visit site
I have no issue with the comments but some of the posters got a bit aggressive towards the OP in my opinion.

exatly this, i don t really understand why the op would nt wait till spring, but also believe that the potential foal, born into what sounds like a forever home in a natural non confined lifestyle has a the chance of a much better life than some of the very well bred horses who fail to make the grade and are passed on through various homes throughout their life time.
Some of the more personal and presumptious (wrong spelling i know) replies on here are over the top in my opinion.

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
Absolutely. FWIW I think both of your horses are gorgeous.

Thank you, I appreciate that. They are both quite special, although I guess I'm bound to say that!

There are an abundance of youngsters for sale who are all expected to make 16hh plus and have terrific competition breeding. There are also many Welsh bred youngsters around. A sturdy 14.3 with a calm temprement is like gold dust and yet there is a huge market for this type (although to be clear, I am breeding this foal for me, as I've already said).

Leo Walker

Visit site
A sturdy 14.3 with a calm temprement is like gold dust and yet there is a huge market for this type (although to be clear, I am breeding this foal for me, as I've already said).

Give me £200 and about 10 minutes and I can find you 20+ weanlings, and probably have some change for you! They are not like gold dust. They are being abandoned and given away left, right and centre as no one wants them.

There is a huge market for 8yr old +, 14.3hh +, sturdy, sound, bombproof, riding club all rounder. One that has been properly educated and brought on. These are indeed like gold dust. However if you have the skill to bring on something to that level, then I can get you 20 of them for literally pennies

Clodagh

Visit site
OP - only out of curiosity, is the colt yours or have you borrowed him? I am interested as I wonder if you need to use him now as the plan is to have his nadgers off? Or is his long term plan to be run on as a stallion?

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
Give me £200 and about 10 minutes and I can find you 20+ weanlings, and probably have some change for you! They are not like gold dust. They are being abandoned and given away left, right and centre as no one wants them.

There is a huge market for 8yr old +, 14.3hh +, sturdy, sound, bombproof, riding club all rounder. One that has been properly educated and brought on. These are indeed like gold dust. However if you have the skill to bring on something to that level, then I can get you 20 of them for literally pennies

Go on then. Give me some examples.

luckyoldme

Visit site
op, i dont doubt for a minute your horses are well looked after, but just for the sake of getting a really big leg up from nature, why would nt it be better to wait until spring?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
TBs are artificially inseminated, put under artificial lights, given hormones etc.....they then live inside for years. very little about TB breeding is natural.

I know this is on a slight tangent, but I had thought that race bred TB's had to be covered naturally. The TB stud (NH bred horses) opposite where I used to livery and where my own late TB was bred, had the pregnant mares, mares and foals and youngsters out in large peer groups, unrugged in all weather.

EQUIDAE

Visit site
Go on then. Give me some examples.

I've just found 8 £200 and under within 5 miles of of me on preloved. Nationally there are hundreds. I bought a 2yo to make 14h2/15h for £160 delivered.

411 nationwide under £100.

And I've not even looked on Dragon Driving or any of the actually horsey sites.

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I know this is on a slight tangent, but I had thought that race bred TB's had to be covered naturally. The TB stud (NH bred horses) opposite where I used to livery and where my own late TB was bred, had the pregnant mares, mares and foals and youngsters out in large peer groups, unrugged in all weather.

They do have to be covered naturally. I do think all the TB comments are a bit erroneous to this situation.