Anyone tolerant enough to answer a pretty daft question?

Kathy657

Visit site
OP, how bloody stupid IMHO :rolleyes3:
Not only risking damaging the mare by running her into the ground by the colt, you intend to try to produce a foal outside normal breeding cycles, hoping your mare has already taken, she will produce a foal in mid october - which will only 10 weeks later be classed as a yearling!!!
You totally beggar belief! :mad3:
The OP is obviously an idiot and indiscriminate breeding like this is stupid.

Alec Swan

Visit site
Ok, at the risk of being flamed, ……... They have done the deed (I've even seen them at it, which is revolting to watch!!) but mostly …….. !

Someone with less in the way of consideration for the feelings of others may enquire if you're an ageing spinster. I however, shall resist the temptation! :)

Would Natural Covering be considered by you to be 'natural'? It isn't revolting and it's the route by which you and I arrived in to this world, unless of course you arrived via 'Stork'! :)

Alec.

Clodagh

Visit site
OP, entirely up to you but why aim deliberately for a winter foal? you could have put them together next May and had a foal born when they are intended to be, with good grass and sun on their backs. I don't give a hoot about natural covering or not (not that I find sex offensive, as you appear to!) but why do you want a foal that can't be turned out? Neither parent seems to be bringing much to the gene pool. I despair, but wish your poor horses all the best, I suspect they will need it.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I really wanted to believe that this was a troll post, but clearly not :( I'm stunned and horrified that anyone thinks its ok to try and breed an October foal. The weather has been very forgiving for a few years now, but that doesnt mean its always going to be. I really hope the mare hasnt caught.

And OP, you have zero chance of a smokey black or a grey. You have a very high chance of a hellish winter trying to manage your mare and her potential foal in winter though.

Poor sods! And that goes for the mare, the colt and the potential foal :(

Leo Walker

Visit site
I knew she could run faster than him too! Well, someone on here mentioned that she might just run away and indeed she did. She panicked and legged it. ... Fast forward a few weeks and they are both a bit cut and bruised but nothing serious and they adore each other

Oh well thats alright then! She could run faster than him and all that happened is that she fled, got tired and gave up and they are only cut and bruised. When did it become ok to have your horses running in fear, and then only being cut and bruised?? I've worked on studs, nothing ended up cut and bruised!

I really wish someone would do something about backyard breeders. The old stallion licensing didnt do enough, but surely if DEFRA or someone put a huge charge on people owning an entire male horse over the age of 3yr old it would stop bloody morons like this!

I'm not in any shape or form a "fluffy bunny" but this just disgusts me!

Sandstone1

Visit site
How completely idiotic, selfish, stupid and completely irrational.
Why would you want a foal in winter?
Cold,wet weather. No grass. Ice and snow quite possibly too.
Poor mare, really hope she doesn't get in foal.
Op, you don't deserve a horse.

popsdosh

Visit site
FGS you lot the OP was wrong to ask the question and then rubbish the answers. However what gives you all the right to be hollier than though. Surely if as some state it is unatural the mare wont get in foal as the OP is doing nothing to force the issue. I have personally known of several very late foals and all have done well ,they may struggle if left to their own devices but I am sure that is not the OPs intention. Horses will naturally breed all year round and I know mares who are easier to get in foal in the late autumn than spring summer. I could in fact mention but I wont several leading Hunter breeding youngstock that for some reason were always a little ahead of there age group for some reason.
As for bringing in political control as advocated by some!! dont get me started. I just hope that when the committee that tells me when I can and cannot breed my horses convene they also bring in a law that says anybody who wants to claim benefits has to be sterilised first!!! Now theres a plan!

popsdosh

Visit site
I really wish someone would do something about backyard breeders. The old stallion licensing didnt do enough, but surely if DEFRA or someone put a huge charge on people owning an entire male horse over the age of 3yr old it would stop bloody morons like this!

Why Stallions ! why not mares?? Maybe both?? LOL as its better than contemplating you are serious! It never worked in the past> whats more how would your wonderful plan stop this situation?

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
Someone with less in the way of consideration for the feelings of others may enquire if you're an ageing spinster. I however, shall resist the temptation! :)

Would Natural Covering be considered by you to be 'natural'? It isn't revolting and it's the route by which you and I arrived in to this world, unless of course you arrived via 'Stork'! :)

Alec.

Ageing spinster? Aside from the ridiculous sexist language, what a totally inaccurate assertion on your behalf. As for the revolting bit, sorry if I have to explain that my tongue was firmly in my cheek.

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
Neither parent seems to be bringing much to the gene pool. I despair, but wish your poor horses all the best, I suspect they will need it.

You know nothing of my horses breeding. A couple of snapshots of the type I've put on here do not show conformation or indeed temprement.

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
Poor sods! And that goes for the mare, the colt and the potential foal :(

Honestly, why? Poor sods? I get it (loud and clear) that other people would chose to do it entirely differently and I understand that but poor sods? My horses have never and will never be poor sods.

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
Oh well thats alright then! She could run faster than him and all that happened is that she fled, got tired and gave up and they are only cut and bruised. When did it become ok to have your horses running in fear, and then only being cut and bruised?? I've worked on studs, nothing ended up cut and bruised!

This can and does happen all the time when new horses are introduced to each other. Vets get called out all the time to treat bites, cuts and all manner of injuries that result from horses being turned out with each other. When I say cuts and bruises, they're not lacerated and covered in blood. Horses get into scrapes all the time and if they needed a vet, they'd have one there in a heartbeat.

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
Op, you don't deserve a horse.

There are thousands of people who don't deserve to have animals in their care. I'm not one of them. My horses live free, natural lives with the very best of care. I'd be one of my horses any day of the week versus many other horses and what they're subjected to (over-rugging, unnatural feed regimes, confinement, incompetent riding, to names just a few practices).

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
Despite getting absolutely flamed, as I knew I would and despite the personal insults (people feel strongly, I get it), I remain grateful for people's comments. Yes, it's obvious that breeding a foal is something new for me and perhaps I may learn the hard way and you can all say I told you so but I have a lifetime of experience with horses and they all have the best of care and should I end up with a foal, mare and foal will want for nothing. I posted on here to share my experiences and provide a different perspective, even if the only thing to be taken from this is don't do it like this idiot.

Sandstone1

Visit site
So, when this poor foal arrives it can look forward to a long cold winter. Not much grass for the mare or foal.
That's ok because it's natural.
If you want a foal why don't you take on a rescue youngster?
There are far too many unwanted horses and ponies so why are you bringing another in to the world?
However, as you asked for advise on here and then completely ignored it I doubt very much you will take any notice what anyone says or thinks.

popsdosh

Visit site
Sadly, they are.

OP, please separate the two, and fingers crossed the mare hasn't taken.

No one with an iota of knowledge plans a late autumn foal.

Totally inaccurate another pompous member of the breeding Stazi !!!!

Sorry if that sounds harsh but I feel a few of you are getting carried away ! Yes it can go wrong but not if you are prepared for it . Horses will breed at that time if left to their own devices for whatever reason and this poster is not intervening in nature to force it . Stop taking the moral high ground!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
. Horses will breed at that time if left to their own devices for whatever reason and this poster is not intervening in nature to force it . Stop taking the moral high ground!
Um, the OP HAS intervened on nature by deliberately putting together a mare and colt in the off season. Am I pompous? No. Am I a realist? Yes.

There is plenty that can go wrong when breeding horses. Starting out by planning the foal's birth for the most favourable time of year for its best chances of survival and optimal growth are basic, IMHO.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Totally inaccurate another pompous member of the breeding Stazi !!!!

Sorry if that sounds harsh but I feel a few of you are getting carried away ! Yes it can go wrong but not if you are prepared for it . Horses will breed at that time if left to their own devices for whatever reason and this poster is not intervening in nature to force it . Stop taking the moral high ground!

That is not entirely true though. With nature in control the mare will have been covered as the weather and forage quality improves, ie in Spring resulting in the foal to be born in early summer, the mare will then be covered again on a foaling heat therefore ensuring another foal being born into favourable conditions and with the best chance of survival. The OP has intervened with nature by allowing a colt to cover a mare in the autumn.

If the mare holds, and lets hope nature intervenes and she does not hold, the resultant foal will be born in poor weather and will need extensive care and skill to be raised. Lets hope the OP has the facilities and the knowledge to raise whatever is produced from the mating of two cobby ponies.

We should remember that flat bred TB foals are conceived early in the year to ensure a birthday as near to 1st January as possible. I was fortunate enough to visit a state of the art stud and it was fascinating. Even though nature is being tampered with in the TB breeding world, the resultant foals are born as the weather and grass is on the incline.

Good luck OP, you are going to need it.

popsdosh

Visit site
Um, the OP HAS intervened on nature by deliberately putting together a mare and colt in the off season. Am I pompous? No. Am I a realist? Yes.

There is plenty that can go wrong when breeding horses. Starting out by planning the foal's birth for the most favourable time of year for its best chances of survival and optimal growth are basic, IMHO.

So is the OP forcing the colt to rape the mare! I think not! horses that come together at that time will breed it is not forcing against nature. In the wild yes the foal would have little chance however that is not the case. I suspect it will do a lot better than some that drop at what you assume is a natural time and are not looked after and we have all seen them.
I tried to keep out of this but a few posters have really peed me off ,Why turn on the OP with personal attacks ,because thats what its become because you think you know better than them,and to me it doesnt sound like you do. Sadly over many years breeding god knows how many horses I have seen many disasters,never seen one with a foal born late in the year with an owner who knows what may be involved they invariably do very well.
Like I say advice is one thing but personal attacks on those you perceive as not listening is not acceptable!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
This can and does happen all the time when new horses are introduced to each other. Vets get called out all the time to treat bites, cuts and all manner of injuries that result from horses being turned out with each other. When I say cuts and bruises, they're not lacerated and covered in blood. Horses get into scrapes all the time and if they needed a vet, they'd have one there in a heartbeat.

yes you do get injury sometimes when horses are first turned out together but why take really silly risk with your own horses? If she is in foal do you have any experience of foaling? will you have the same attitude with that as well and just let her get on with it! not the sort of attitude I would associate with someone who cares for there horses really is it.

popsdosh

Visit site
That is not entirely true though. With nature in control the mare will have been covered as the weather and forage quality improves, ie in Spring resulting in the foal to be born in early summer, the mare will then be covered again on a foaling heat therefore ensuring another foal being born into favourable conditions and with the best chance of survival. The OP has intervened with nature by allowing a colt to cover a mare in the autumn.

If the mare holds, and lets hope nature intervenes and she does not hold, the resultant foal will be born in poor weather and will need extensive care and skill to be raised. Lets hope the OP has the facilities and the knowledge to raise whatever is produced from the mating of two cobby ponies.

We should remember that flat bred TB foals are conceived early in the year to ensure a birthday as near to 1st January as possible. I was fortunate enough to visit a state of the art stud and it was fascinating. Even though nature is being tampered with in the TB breeding world, the resultant foals are born as the weather and grass is on the incline.

Good luck OP, you are going to need it.

In an ideal world yes. However I have a very good mare who has several successful offspring who will only conceive naturally in the late autumn . What do I do write her off!!!

Why is it OK for a TB to foal in January if not before ( They do) When there is even less grass than Oct. Wont comment on their methods as thats not natural.

Last edited:

AdorableAlice

Visit site
In an ideal world yes. However I have a very good mare who has several successful offspring who will only conceive naturally in the late autumn . What do I do write her off!!!

The difference is you are breeding from, hopefully, a proven mare and top class stallions. I assume you have the facilities and knowledge to achieve success. I would imagine you are breeding something very special to make you want to do the abnormal and the past progeny have proven themselves worthy of breeding again,

The OP has mated a nondescript pony mare to a cob colt. The resultant foal will be a type that can be picked up for £40 at Beeston Market. The cost and efforts involved in rearing a foal born in October will be significant. Had the ponies been mated in May 2016 nature would provide all the foal would need.

popsdosh

Visit site
The difference is you are breeding from, hopefully, a proven mare and top class stallions. I assume you have the facilities and knowledge to achieve success. I would imagine you are breeding something very special to make you want to do the abnormal and the past progeny have proven themselves worthy of breeding again,

The OP has mated a nondescript pony mare to a cob colt. The resultant foal will be a type that can be picked up for £40 at Beeston Market. The cost and efforts involved in rearing a foal born in October will be significant. Had the ponies been mated in May 2016 nature would provide all the foal would need.

I know I do agree with your views and would be totally with you but the OP has stated and you can only take their word for it that it is for themselves and I dont think they have gone into it totally blind to whats involved. See my point is I am not doing the abnormal with my mare its my only option as I will not resort to chemicals to interfere with nature with any of mine ! I think she wishes she could live in Australia!!!

Last edited:

PoppyAnderson

Visit site

I've never posted on here about this horse, so you have no idea what or who he is but a nondescript cob colt he isn't. I have thought carefully about the type of foal I want and a steady cob around 14.3 ish is exactly what I want (I neither want nor need anything with a performance bone in its body). Both horses are exceptionally well put together with outstanding temperaments. Of course there are no guarantees but if I get the type of horse that I'm hoping for, they are like rocking horse poo.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think AA makes two important points 1) if natural the mare would have been covered several months ago, it already isn't natural as it has been delayed by humans.
2) TB foals born in January- it is only a couple of months until spring, and grass etc. October is several more months away

OP I assume the colt is a highland?

As it is for yourself I still don't understand the rush/why you didn't wait until spring?