Are all rope halters equal?

Sprig

Visit site
Are rope halters much of a muchness? I have never bought one before. Is there anything that I should be looking out for? Thanks

Sprig

Visit site
Thanks. I am going to be buying online. Any recommendations on brand, or am I just going to need to squint at the pics to find a thin rope one?

TTK

Visit site
The halters from Easy-does-it are very good quality and just the right width. While you are at it, buy yourself a 12-14’ rope to go with it. They are meant to be used with long ropes. I never use webbing halters, no control.

HBB

Visit site
I'm the same as Pearlsacarolsinger, I don't like the thin ones as they dig into their face, I also don't like the ones with a chain under their chin as it pulls out their hair and get's them p'd off and narky.
Plas Equestrian make lovely quality halters, I prefer this one as it releases the pressure from under their chin and doesn't dig in and tighten.

ockCmlGv-Tg87oDmOY0QJxn4uwpa38dCCu3mNu1GLP4-w-BTd7VVtIAqwIOUvZX8F9NZB2NLv2quBbRDcOtUd3Fpo_BOM2OWomZkpOo5tZMwOg

https://www.facebook.com/plasequestrian

Sussexbythesea

Visit site

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I would never tie up in a halter, recipe for disaster if you ask me. I'm afraid that the phrase 'natural horsemanship' turns me right off. I really dislike those multi-strand halters.

That’s what I said.

OP they’re perfectly ok and I don’t do any “natural horsemanship” at all let alone Parelli. With two large warmbloods despite both being polite I felt I needed a tool that gave me a clearer signal than a traditional headcollar.

Flyermc

Visit site
I used these for years and they are fine. They shouldn't dig in to horses faces as horses generally learn not to pull against them and i used to tie up with mine, just make sure that there is a good break point on the tie ring.

Fab headcollars :)

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I bought a Parelli one 8 years ago and still use it daily. It's been used as a headcollar, used for groundwork and ridden in. Still got tonnes of life left in it! I'd say good as new but it currently looks a bit muddied ?

I do tie up in it but use a quick release clip on the headpiece. Added advantage of it doing up like a headcollar so no need to tie the loop each time.

Flyermc

Visit site
I bought a Parelli one 8 years ago and still use it daily. It's been used as a headcollar, used for groundwork and ridden in. Still got tonnes of life left in it! I'd say good as new but it currently looks a bit muddied ?

I do tie up in it but use a quick release clip on the headpiece. Added advantage of it doing up like a headcollar so no need to tie the loop each time.

Ive had afew brands over the years, but did have a parelli one when i first got my pony. It was used everyday, several times a day for 17.5 years and still washed up as new! Its currently hung up on my kitchen wall.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I had years with nothing but the cow halter type rope halters. Making them just make sure the ropes non stretch.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I bought two of these over two years ago as I wanted to have more control as needed to lead two horses together to and from the field. They’re still in great condition even though they hang on the field gates all weathers. They’re thinner than some. I don’t tie up in them usually in case they pull back.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00SLI36PE/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_F717FbK67WHH7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I think mine are exactly the same as these ones.

I use them as basic, everyday bringing in/ turning out/ general handling/ pottering out in-hand halters and then have proper headcollars for in the yard, tying up and traveling.

I also bring in two at a time and these are so easy to pop on and tie up. Mim drops her nose into them for me so I can use one hand to catch her - I figure that means that she doesn’t hate them! They are also a really nice size to keep in the car as emergency items, they don’t take much space at all if you roll them up.

To my mind, they will be as gentle as you are when you use them, and I’ve never had to apply any pressure at all with my two so I don’t see them as better or worse than any other halter/headcollar.

I have Irish cream and black:

B61C6A0E-63F1-4A67-8BE4-FC7380FF163F.jpeg
4BC1FBB5-B4E3-443A-BC45-E44C5EA0DEE5.jpeg

Lyle

Visit site
I really like the 'Clinician' style rope halters. They are typically a stiffer rope, particularly over the nose, with 4 knots (so 2 extra) across the nose. They are an important tool for correct groundwork, so a quality one is important!

ihatework

Visit site
I’m the same as Lady Gascoyne. I find the rope halters useful as general handling tools for some horses. I kind of liken the use of them to Spurs - done wrong they have quite significant potential to hurt, but used right then they can refine how you handle.

That said, I always tie and travel in a leather headcollar and unless they have a tendency to be naughty (which they generally don’t, because they have been taught how to behave ?) then the older stabled/working horses just have a normal headcollar too.

Skib

sites.google.com
While learning to ride I was much influenced by behaviourist ( so called NH) trainers and I brought three Double Diamond rope halters back from the USA in different sizes.
The rope is thin and hard. They are not used tight. A touch from the rope directs the horse. And I led with a long lead, which (one teaches the horse) has a loop in it - i.e. not taut.

People I met were very picky about the rope and halter they used. But I was with RS horses and ponies and was regularly on two different yard using whatever they had to hand. One yard switched when the YO began to use rope halters. I came to the conclusion that it didnt really matter what I was given, it was the way one led and the way one taught the horses to be led.

I disliked and never used a halter that tightened when one pulls on the rope (IH or Dually or Maxwell). But that is because I was educated by Rashid and Michael Peace.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
that's an interesting design :)

I use normal headcollars on my gang, though the one who can be prone to rude episodes has a chain on the nose that I can pop my fingers through if I need to apply an emergency brake (leadrope not connected to chain) as I, too, have to lead 2 horses out together so they have to behave nicely.

ATM I have to handle someone else's horse daily and it's a bloody nightmare, i could do with something a bit, um, more influential. cheapo option for me i think, i'd rather they just taught it some manners really!!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

I consider that to be a headcollar, unless I have missed something about how it works. I wouldn't want a lunge cavesson with the pressure/release function that I expect in a true halter.

The reason that I prefer cow-halter type halters is that the pressure is distributed over a wider area than the thinner 'dually' types, which I find horses respond to better. I like the fact that a halter can be slipped on and off or adjusted to fit any horse with no fastening necessary.

claret09

Visit site
i always use a rope halter. i love the fact that i can put a bridle on over the top (particularly useful when out somewhere) and then slip the rope halter off - feeding it though his mouth under the bit. you can then easily put it on over a bridle and take the bridle off without feeling that you might loose control of your horse. this have been incredibly useful over the years. i have never had any issues using them. i don't do natural horsemanship but i would never go back to a "normal" headcollar - they are very in effective with a big horse

Sleipnir

Visit site
It's important for them to fit well. I also dislike those that have 4 knots on the noseband. However, I only use them for leading and work in hand with youngsters and bargy horses, never to tie, to trailer, etc. As well as I've found myself using rope halters less and less, as a slow and patient attitude and enough of groundwork gets the same good results as just using a rope halter on an opinionated horse, especially after having a chat or two with vets and discovering (via vet diagnosis) that my first horse has facial nerve damage, as well as bone damage on his jaw, most likely, from the situation I bought him off - where rope halters with huge clips were used heavily and with passion.