Are big shows YHL, HOYs, Olympia struggling for ticket sales?

sherry90

Visit site
This year more than ever, I have seen an increased amount of marketing on social media to push/sell tickets right up to the wire.

I know HOYs had a bit of a boycott from traders due to increased stand costs but what about the others? I remember years gone by really struggling for tickets for the Saturday at HOYs.

I’m attending YHL on Sunday for the day so will see what it’s like then but again I’ve seen so many posts in the build up to the weekend pushing ticket sales....

Are the show offers no longer attracting sales? Has online shopping put people off? Are the shows/performances no longer enough attraction?

TGM

Visit site
I don't know about the other days, but Wednesday night (Puissance) at Olympia has been sold out for ages. I agree, however, that YHL seems to still be touting heavily for sales even though it is now only a couple of days away. I suspect the fact that it is not easily accessible via public transport doesn't help.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
IMO, YHL is a con. You are simply paying to be able to shop and the only advantage is that everything is in one place. Some of the demos are excellent but some aren't what every-one wants to see and yet they are part of the ticket price.

I did notice that both Great Yorkshire Show and Cheshire Show seemed to be quieter this year, as far as spectators were concerned. And it wasn't really down to the weather.

Identityincrisis

Visit site
Also, the reports coming out of YHL over recent years have deteriorated, especially shopping I think.

I went every year for 10+ years but recently stopped. In my view they got greedy, upping ticket prices, pay for this performance, more for another performance, oh and pay to see this special performance!!

The shopping was great but there were fewer and fewer bargains to be had over the years

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I think ticket prices for anything and everything are prohibitive these days. I don't bother with the big shows anymore because of ticket price. When I had horses entered I didn't notice because the entry gave a couple of passes and I hid a groom in the loo !

There is no doubt the big shows cost a fortune to put on and entry fees have rocketed along with gate price. I have only been to YHL once and that was years ago despite it being local. Glorified shopping and the odd demo, a few rare breeds and a few awesome horseboxes, I wasn't impressed. There must be plenty of money around this year, £150 for the Isabel Werth evening demo and all tickets sold. Wow, that would buy a good bit of haylage !

Parking will be interesting this year.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
We've stopped going to the big shows because it just wasn't fun anymore. Prices were too high, queues were enormous and the shopping was poor. Olympia was my idea of hell last time.
Still enjoy county shows but the Game fairs are brilliant. Lovely atmosphere, lovely crowds and helpful experts.

Steerpike

Visit site
I went to Olympia last year but didn't enjoy it as much as I thought and thought it was on the expensive side. I tend to go to badminton on a Wednesday just to look at the shops and pick up anything I need/want.

oldie48

Visit site
I am going to Olympia for the first time in 18 years but only as I am going with friends which should make it fun. I went to YHL a couple of years ago and was a bit disappointed but got some decent bargains and i went to HOYs years ago but not overly impressed. I prefer to go to dressage or eventing comps and do a bit of shopping around watching some decent competitors.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
they always seem pretty busy.
I don't go out much so while it's off putting at the time of buying tickets, it's worth it to me. We are going to the freestyle at Olympia as usual and that always seems pretty much full to capacity. I generally don't bother with the shops other than a quick scoot round as there isn't a lot of time in the interval.
Other staples for me are Badminton (economical on a dressage day, otherwise I try to win tickets!) and YHL but I get that for free as OH is working there. I agree that the extra evening performances at YHL are very expensive but I've enjoyed them in the past. Being there all day is pretty boring though, I don't go there to shop cos I have no money! :p

oldie48

Visit site
they always seem pretty busy.
I don't go out much so while it's off putting at the time of buying tickets, it's worth it to me. We are going to the freestyle at Olympia as usual and that always seems pretty much full to capacity. I generally don't bother with the shops other than a quick scoot round as there isn't a lot of time in the interval.
Other staples for me are Badminton (economical on a dressage day, otherwise I try to win tickets!) and YHL but I get that for free as OH is working there. I agree that the extra evening performances at YHL are very expensive but I've enjoyed them in the past. Being there all day is pretty boring though, I don't go there to shop cos I have no money! :p
Wish I was going for the freestyle, lucky you!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Wish I was going for the freestyle, lucky you!
I always buy the tickets on the day they are released so I can pick my seats (legroom!) it seems like eons away at the time but it'll be here before we know it, now! Seems to be the same discount code from BD every year so that helps ;)

neddy man

Visit site
There's 30% off Olympia tickets to BHS members for certain performances. GYS Lincoln county Bramham were all quieter this year been going to them for years, going to Burghley next year 1st time but no ticket prices available yet. Agree some of the game shows are great but some are dear

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I like the County shows and such like ones, even in the rain they're pretty good and meet some grand people.

Not been to YHL for years. The last one wasn't as good, imo, as the other years. Not had an urge to go again. Not been to the big ones in more years than I can remember. Might head to HOYS next year, but that'll be it.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Until the last couple of years I went to YHL and whatever preceded it at Stoneleigh every year. It was great in the early years, lots of bargains, new products, lots of lovely breed exhibitions and, usually, Carl Hester, all included in the price. It was worth going just to watch the main attraction (not always Carl, but some good ones).

It started going downhill, to me, about 6 years ago. Prices went up a lot, seemed to be a lot fewer stalls of interest to me, the breeds went down a lot. I know that it can be hard to get people to take their precious horses away to a show for a few days and erect and man a stand for the duration, and then have to take it down afterwards, it is a lot of hard work.

There were stands for farriery and the barefoot people, one year there were all sorts of saddles, there used to be a theme but that seems not to be the case now.

Costs for the organisers have risen a lot, much health and safety things to be put in place, which is good, but it all costs money. To make it worth while to run the organisers have to get a decent profit or it isn't worth the effort.

Not sure what the answer is, just the general economic situation really. I took the decision not to go a couple of years ago because I know that I always spent lots and I didn't want to spend that money! Also I was booked to go to Olympia last year and thought that one outing before Christmas was enough. This year I will be busy doing other things, but won't rule out going next year.

Sandstone1

Visit site
I think ticket prices for anything and everything are prohibitive these days. I don't bother with the big shows anymore because of ticket price. When I had horses entered I didn't notice because the entry gave a couple of passes and I hid a groom in the loo !

There is no doubt the big shows cost a fortune to put on and entry fees have rocketed along with gate price. I have only been to YHL once and that was years ago despite it being local. Glorified shopping and the odd demo, a few rare breeds and a few awesome horseboxes, I wasn't impressed. There must be plenty of money around this year, £150 for the Isabel Werth evening demo and all tickets sold. Wow, that would buy a good bit of haylage !

Parking will be interesting this year.
I am going this year but worried about parking given how wet it is.

Roxylola

Visit site
I'm going to Olympia on the Sunday as Saturday was sold out when I booked about a month ago. And I thought I was going to end up with top whack tickets as there wasn't much for Sunday!

southerncomfort

Visit site
I went to the Great Yorkshire show last year and found it to be a very expensive day out.

Couldn't get anywhere near the main ring as it was absolutely rammed so didn't see any of the big classes.

Their was nothing there that wasn't at our local agricultural show but the ticket price was almost double. I doubt I'd go again to be honest.

Haven't been to Olympia for years. Its expensive but lots of entertainment. Used to enjoy the shopping but their are better bargains online these days.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I go to olympia because it's now only an hour on the train, there has to be some advantages of having to live here :p. I wasn't totally decided this year but my sister is home from KL, but is buggering off boxing day for a wedding so if I don't see her before xmas I won't see her much so I suggested going, and then mum decided they would both come and that was Xmas presents sorted all at the same time!

conkers

Visit site
I used to go to HOYS and GYS every year but now they are just too expensive so I don't bother.

I have been to YHL when I won some tickets but wasn't sure about parking on a field in winter. I really don't know how they will cope this year given the amount of rain that we have had and are due to have this weekend. It will be interesting to hear feedback as to how wet it is.

tiahatti

Visit site
I used to go to Olympia every year with my daughters. We stopped as thought the ticket prices were getting so expensive. We loved the shopping. It was always so boiling hot in the shopping area, probably because it was so crowded. I did love the performances though.

SallyBatty

Visit site
I go to Olympia every year as mine and my daughter's Christmas treat. I managed to get a 30% discount on tickets this year for Friday evening as H&H just happened to have an offer on when I was about to book this year's visit. However, the shopping bargains have definitely been disappearing over the years and there seem to be less stands every year as well (at least the ones I am interested in).

Mrs B

Visit site
As an aside, I went to the Devon County and the Bath & West this year with my products on someone's stand and I was amazed by how few tack stands there were. Apart from ours, there were only 2 others at the Devon and barely a handful at the Bath & West ... There again, so many tack shops have gone bump in the last few years, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

YHL and Olympia prices for stands are just prohibitive for many small businesses, so we're just going to finish the year with the Westcountry Equine Fair.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I went to the Great Yorkshire show last year and found it to be a very expensive day out.

Couldn't get anywhere near the main ring as it was absolutely rammed so didn't see any of the big classes.

Their was nothing there that wasn't at our local agricultural show but the ticket price was almost double. I doubt I'd go again to be honest.

It certainly isn't cheap but I was there 2 days this year and got spaces on the grass bank to watch the classes that I wanted to see. I don't particularly want to watch sj but I did watch the Ladies Hunter/sidesaddle final and one of the commercial driving classes in the main ring. I prefer to watch the classes in the smaller rings, I watched WH and ID classes amongst others. The shopping is never cheap but we did get 3 free trees from the Woodland Trust, over the coming year, including a new kitchen. we also got some good ideas for stuff that we want to do

southerncomfort

Visit site
It certainly isn't cheap but I was there 2 days this year and got spaces on the grass bank to watch the classes that I wanted to see. I don't particularly want to watch sj but I did watch the Ladies Hunter/sidesaddle final and one of the commercial driving classes in the main ring. I prefer to watch the classes in the smaller rings, I watched WH and ID classes amongst others. The shopping is never cheap but we did get 3 free trees from the Woodland Trust, over the coming year, including a new kitchen. we also got some good ideas for stuff that we want to do

I think my mistake was allowing myself to be dragged around looking at tractors and cars etc first so their was no space by the time we got to the main ring.

I wasn't too upset though as I got to go and watch the Fell pony class in a smaller ring instead!

The ticket price is the biggest problem for me. When you've got husband and 4 kids in tow it makes it a pretty pricey day out.

I did really like being able to wander round the cattle sheds and watch them get the cattle ready for the show ring. A lot of shows I've been too the sheds or marquees would be closed to the public.

Reactions: TPO

conniegirl

Visit site
I was also there this year on all 3 days. I managed to get cheap members tickets (friend buys a corporate membership which works out at £30 per person for 3 day access) and whilst it was very busy there was space. Shopping was good if you were not looking for horse stuff. I did spend a fortune in the stalls.

Visit site
I think my mistake was allowing myself to be dragged around looking at tractors and cars etc first so their was no space by the time we got to the main ring.

I wasn't too upset though as I got to go and watch the Fell pony class in a smaller ring instead!

The ticket price is the biggest problem for me. When you've got husband and 4 kids in tow it makes it a pretty pricey day out.

I did really like being able to wander round the cattle sheds and watch them get the cattle ready for the show ring. A lot of shows I've been too the sheds or marquees would be closed to the public.

If you want to walk around the animals then you can at the Highland show. The cattle, sheep, goats, Shetlands, Highlands and Clydesdales are stabled/stalled there all week. Sections are closed off when the animals from that section are going backwards and forwards being shown but it's only for a couple of hours at a time for health and saftey.

TPO

Visit site
I went to YHL ten years ago and while.it was a fun day out with a friend I disnt really "get" it. You were literally paying to shop. We only watched the reining demo (it was Lee Rutter/Oakridge) which we really enjoyed but if we saw any others I cant remember what they were.

I went to badminton a few years ago for the first time and didnt enjoy it. It was XC day, didnt find any bargains and thought it was a bit of a damp squid atmosphere wise. I was expecting a buzz given that it was badminton. The people I was with didnt want to walk the course so I saw next to nothing of the course and only a handful of fences jumped so that didnt help.

I go to Blair most years and have done for the past ten. This year it was noticeably quieter despite good weather.

I wonder if the ticket prices have finally gone too far? When we went into Blair this year I saw people turn away from the gate when they saw the prices (£25 adult) and it doesnt get any cheaper once you're in.