Are big shows YHL, HOYs, Olympia struggling for ticket sales?

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
It's such a tricky balance, as exhibitors we find very few shows bring us the footfall we need, we've done YHL, HOYS, West Country Equine Fair as well as county shows over the years and they're expensive, knackering and although great fun, as we don't sell from the stand the cash flow implications are tricky. As a self employed fitter I'm also not servicing my customers while at a show, or missing well needed time off. And I totally see that that means there is less to attract the customer, vicious circle.

blitznbobs

Visit site
For me it’s down to the lack of decent trade stands ... I miss finding those bargains but also those bespoke unusual horse related products that don’t (can’t) go to these shows... I remember buying a beautiful London tan head collar about 25 years ago when I really couldn’t afford it but fell totally in love with it . Now it’s a bit like walking down the high street , same old,same old and no cheaper either ... what’s the point?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
i want to buy a new hat at YHL, I made a bad decision last time I bought one because there wasn't a lot of choice where I went and ended up with a hat that is pretty uncomfortable but I couldn't justify replacing. I think things like that, it's good for because there are so many tradestands you can try anything and everything and then think about it all day before committing.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We usually go to Bramham on the Thursday to watch dressage and workers/hunter classes. It was very quiet, as far as spectators go this year. We don't usually do much shopping because we have the dogs with us but the shopping area was very quiet this year.

Last edited:

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
i detest shopping at the indoor shows such as HOYS or Olympia, its always too hot and crowded. I much prefer the outdoor shopping villages at major horse trials, but Im not a big shopper, and always shop on thurs dressage day, never on xc day! The only time Ive ever seen bargains was during the final 20 show jumping rounds when everyone was in the stands.

ive not been to the Great Yorkshire for over a decade. I found it incredibly expensive with displays that were pretty much the same every time. I agree that you can never get near the main arena (unless you pay even more for the stands!). I prefer the game fairs generally.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I used to do Hickstead with the Friday ad tickets however haven't been for the last couple of years as I'm trying to save money and I'm far too tempted by a nice rug or saddle cloth to walk among them and not buy one! The showjumping part, unless it's the derby meet tends to get a little repetitive too, went with non horsey OH last time and he liked the scurry best. Also there are very few bargains, I could probably justify a rug or saddle cloth "investment" if it was discounted, one year I picked up a weatherbeeta heavyweight for something like 60 quid. Now its bling bling and more bling or horrifically priced saddles etc which while very nice to test, I wont be sitting on unless I win the lottery! It's also more of the upmarket showing clothing etc stalls I liked the good old fashioned tack stalls. Even stalls like NAF would have some money off their supplements they were all full price last time.

I did Olympia ages ago as someone from the yard ran a mini bus, again its quite expensive and I wouldn't want to drive if no organised mini bus so I'd have to get the train, which again costs money (as into London) then you potentially have the underground. Also the trains are unreliable, especially at this time of year I went once with my mum and her friend when I was about 12 and we didnt get home til something like 2am as the trains were so messed up and it was bitterly cold

The football club I support do a supporters club which runs a coach there and back (Manchester) for probably less money- price also includes very decent seats so if I choose to do either a horse event or that I'd pick the football also no ssddlecloths there ;) maybe Olympia should do similar with coaches picking up from certain areas think Glastonbury do it.

I wouldn't mind doing Badminton again but the red button is so good I probably see more watching on TV at home in comfort

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Didn't realise you had to pay on top of the ticket for the Your Horse live performances I'd have thought they'd be included in the ticket then different ticket slots contain different performances so you pay for the say afternoon performance and get these people, then the performances where the "premium " people are there are more expensive

skint1

Visit site
Used to go to YHL every year but last time I went (which was a few years ago now) I think we used to try and go on the Friday but then they stopped doing Fridays for a while and we went on a Sat and it was utterly miserable. Couldn't get into the demos, couldn't stand and look at anything without being trampled and run over by yummy mummies with off road pushchairs, got accosted by an old woman trying to sell the most hideously expensive makeup to me and she insulted me for not "making the most of your looks dahling, you are not young anymore" hahaha, I probably had straw in my hair from morning yard or something

Kat

Visit site
The demonstrations at YHL always used to be included. I'm not sure when that changed. Even less reason to go if you end up having to pay twice.

They are included but you pay extra for assigned seats. If you don't pay extra you just queue for seats. They do turf you out at the end of each demo though which is a pain.

Myloubylou

Visit site
If you like watching demos I think YHL is good value for money. I’m intending to go to 4 at least and got the standard plus tickets which means I can get into the main arena without spending ages queuing. I’ve been lucky that have won a few of the giveaways which also helps! Normally get there doors opening and shop until the first demo I want to watch, tends to get busier later in day. I’ve got some bargains at the show but sometimes I’ll just try on/get info and they buy off internet.

Follysmum

Visit site
Used to love the equine event when it became your horse it went down hill. I saw the police training 1year and it was fantastic to watch, shopping is dire the only bargains I liked were horse health for Le mieux products if your quick

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
I bet the car parking at YHL will be so so muddy with all this rain.. last time I went, being towed off at 7 pm in the rain and dark was not my idea of fun.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
they posted earlier that only 4x4s were being parked on the grass but I don't know if they'll be able to stick to that over the weekend.

Suechoccy

Visit site
YHL today (Friday) was £21 including seeing whatever demos we wanted to see, so we saw Lee Pearson and the paralympic team, we saw Charlotte Dujardin conduct a two-rider lesson and we saw Ben Atkinson demonstrate the journey from basics through early liberty work. 400 stands to browse and shop at. Mainly horsey stands rather than the lifestyle stands you get at Burghley or Badminton. I thought it was really good value for money, just wished there were more hours in the day as I'd like to have seen a couple of the other demos too but we ran out of time.