Are there any phrases in the horse world that really do your head in??

Rowreach

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
Visit site
All the above really, but on this forum, posters who say "ooh your horse is Gorgeous!!!" when it/he/she is anything but
grin.gif

no_no_nanette

Visit site
Have laughed more than I have for ages reading these great posts!!

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

My pet hate is "Ability to take you to the top" (of what??? Empire State Building? And if it could, why hasn't it already?)

And don't get me started on the the Olympics showjumping commentary - "Well, what a round! What a horse, eh Mike?" 2 secs later "Well, what a round" What a ..." and so on and on and on .....

Natch

Visit site
Honest. As in "this is a good honest horse" Used far too often by commentators to mean a variety of things.

"100% to box shoe catch" (but he/she is a nightmare on the roads and don't even try to get clippers near him/her)

Broken wind. What part of the horse's anatomy is called The Wind?

Ebenezer_Scrooge

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
'Potential'
My cob could potentially win the grand national...if no one else turned up and all the fences blew down.

[/ QUOTE ]

PMSL!!

You have all made me laugh reading this thread! I'm amazed at what people say in their adverts.

lucretia

Visit site
agree with 'barefoot' what was wrong with unshod? and 'natural horsemanship' sure the most natural thing would be to untie them slap them on the arse and say "run free my pretty one"?
that said the one that really annoys me is ' leg on' especially when it is said'leg on legonlegonlegon...' Leg on what? the saddle? the horse? the floor? and if your leg is on something then what? '' LegslegslegsLEGS'? open them close them squeeze them pat them?

username223

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Machine, as in jumping machine, dressage machine etcetc, if you want a machine then GET A BIKE!

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol i know what you mean, I do think it is wrong to refer to a horse as a "machine" BUT my mare cross country is literally a machine, anyone can get on her, sit and steer and she will jump everything within reason (her limit is about 4ft)
grin.gif
...it is truly like riding a bike......showjumping and dressage..well thats a different story
tongue.gif

ajn1610

Visit site
People i know who describe everything as good to hack, horses never went out so unless you consider moving between the barn and the indoor school hacking....
US commentators who say horses just had 'a little rub' at a fence when they booted the top three poles out.

Jellicle

Visit site
would it be mean for me to say 'literally' when you mean 'very similar to'? I hate it when people say my horse is 'literally' something that a horse clearly isn't!

(sorry millieismyname!)

Neddies

Visit site
Broke /Broken

As in " I broke my horse" or "my horse is broken"

Toys get broken, horses aren't toys!!! I hate it when people say this it does my head in, why not just say my horse is lame or whatever is actually wrong with it!

L

lilym

"started with parelli/NH methods" this phrase is used often on project horses......nuff said...

trendybraincell

Visit site
"Bombproof" if there was truly a bombproof horse in existence do you not think the army, MI5 or terrorists would be lining up to buy it!!

"Potential" anything has potential, a rocking horse has potential.

"Stunning" how many times have you seen a horse described as stunning...and how often does the image mach the phrase!!

Archangel

Normal, 10 cats ago
Visit site
"Well schooled".. then there is a photo of an overbent horse with god knows what it in his mouth and round his neck and an idiot sitting on its back.

Ravenwood

Visit site
We have all had a good laugh at this thread and have been desperately trying to think of something new to add to it!!

MQ - can't stand it when a strapping great big 17.2 shire x is referred to as a pony!

And please don't tell me that you are going to put his pyjamas on!!!

X

xspiralx

I hate it when commentators describe a horse as a "good servant" or a "machine" - it just seems to totally diminish the heart, skill and talent of the horse - its not all about the rider!

I don't mind things like "potential to do suchandsuch" or "would affiliate" - not everyone has the transport or the bravery or the finances to affiliate or go up the grades, doesn't mean the horse isn't more than capable - and I would like to know that in the ad.

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Calling a horse "IT"

Phrases in adverts that are shown as being anything but in the photos. Example: Stunning horse, that in fact looks like a 3 legged rocking horse.

Oh not quite a phrase, what also annoy me are photos of horses with more cr*p on their heads/necks than Mr T.

hellybelly6

Visit site
Reluctant sale/sad sale
If you are so reluctant or sad to sell, dont do it!

Commetators who say ' jumps like clockwork' I have never seen a clock jump.

100% bombproof
Dream pony/horse
could go far

the watcher

Visit site
Mine has nothing to do with advertsing but is the instruction to 'take up the contact', horses have been carrying their own heads and necks for millions of years, they don't need us to do it for them.