Are there any phrases in the horse world that really do your head in??

Rachel_M

Visit site
Latter day Christian
grin.gif

GreyConnemara

Visit site
"Snaffle mouthed"
This means one of two things:
1) In all of the photos the horse/pony is in a dutch gag on the last ring, except the photo of him/her being held unmounted.
2) The horse/pony is indeed being ridden in a snaffle, but if you want to go any faster than walk, you'll have to saw away at its jaw to stop.
crazy.gif

DollyPentreath

Visit site
'First to see will buy'.. Quick, get the phone I must see this horse asap and be overcome by an overpowering urge to spend a no doubt unreasonable sum of cash before someone else pips me to the post.

'To 5* home only'.. Well that's me out, I can offer an excellent standard of care and a fairly experienced home but I'd say my yard was a bit basic to be 5*, no arena, horsewalker, xc course, hydrospa etc. Perhaps to a 3* home? No? Thought not.

And totally agreed on the incessant overuse of the word 'stunning'.

wonkey_donkey

Visit site
Excellent MHB must have taken you ages to do your ad !!

I also hate 'Price on Application' . . . If you want to sell your horse then let people know how much it is (durr)!

Pinkwellies2

Visit site
In adverts "has been ridden by 14 year old girl" as if that would make it sound safe, well when I was 14 I would ride, and did, any nutter going if it meant I got to ride!

Another who doesn't like the expression "to die for" Rather not thank you very much!
grin.gif

Kenzo

Visit site
Ha haa execellant post, trouble is nobody will have anything to say now on replying to other subjects ...with fear of offending someone lol
grin.gif

bensababy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Lammi. It is laminitis! Hardly hard to say, is it? You don't say colli, or navi, so why Lammi? Grrr...

[/ QUOTE ]

oops i do that! its only because typing it out i always struggle with.. pure laziness really.
crazy.gif

PaddyMonty

Visit site
"It doesn't get any better than this" used in just about every major SJ comp recently.

"Forsure" seems to be very popular in sport interviews just lately.

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
There are several, but the ones that really make me shudder are:

Good Confirmation - at what church was that then?
Ponio - uuuuuuuuuuuurgh!
Lamminitus - Nooooooooooooooooooo it's laminitIs

I also hate the WOW he's gorgeous posts when the horse is blatently not
crazy.gif

whispers: whoops, does this make me a meany?

jesterfaerie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I am always posting the wow he is gorgeous posts but I do always mean it!
So yeah I probably have said it about yours.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Was just reading the Breeding forum on this very site and was reminded of my old favourite:

"Out of" such and such a stallion.

Wow, it's a medical miracle! What's even more amazing is I've seen people who have bred the horse use this - were they not paying attention to the procedure?

I'm also annoyed when it's implied that a horse is the offspring of a particularly well known stallion who actually appears generations back in its pedigree. There have to be ten of thousands of Ladykiller xx-bred horses now, it's not any great selling point.

But that might be overly picky.
smile.gif

Faithkat

Visit site
"stunning" . . . far too over-used, everything out there that's for sale seems to be "stunning"

"above the bit" . . . huh?
"on the bridle" . . .. ditto?

"ridden by whatever-year-old (child)" . . . that's no recommendation, I was nuts and fearless as a child and would ride anything, usually without saddle or bridle (I watched Champion the Wonder Horse too much!)

"potential" . . . when applied to something of a resaonable age. If the horse has potential that should have been realised by now. The Search for a Star thing is very guilty of this. I've known a 12 year old winning a "potential" class with them and a 4 year old accused of being "too green"! I would blo*dy well hope it's green at 4 years old . . . .

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I am always posting the wow he is gorgeous posts but I do always mean it!
So yeah I probably have said it about yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - I mean when the horse is blatently pig ugly
blush.gif
grin.gif
Of course I totally endorse the use of the phrase when talking about my own
smirk.gif
grin.gif

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
"ridden by whatever-year-old (child)" . . . that's no recommendation, I was nuts and fearless as a child and would ride anything, usually without saddle or bridle (I watched Champion the Wonder Horse too much!)

[/ QUOTE ]

echo echo echo - as a child/teenager I had no sense of my own mortality and would ride absolutely anything, over anything and at any speed, as long as it was fast!

birchave0

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Was just reading the Breeding forum on this very site and was reminded of my old favourite:

"Out of" such and such a stallion.

Wow, it's a medical miracle! What's even more amazing is I've seen people who have bred the horse use this - were they not paying attention to the procedure?

I'm also annoyed when it's implied that a horse is the offspring of a particularly well known stallion who actually appears generations back in its pedigree. There have to be ten of thousands of Ladykiller xx-bred horses now, it's not any great selling point.

But that might be overly picky.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto.......
grin.gif

Must say this thread has taken my mind off the rain, cheers! LMAO
tongue.gif