Are you a horsey snob?

dressedkez

Visit site
Loving this post! I always think that an essential part of horse training, is to get the nag to stand (whilst a ciggie is lit) and also advance confidently towards the person holding the tray of drinks at a meet!
I am a bit of a traditionalist, and I hate bling and pink - but as I get older, I care less. I do really loathe seeing people exercising their horses on the roads in draw reins (whilst trying to look superior) And I do hate seeing head to toe high viz on a bright summers day (but then at least they are well prepared, who knows what might happen to the weather witin a few hours.......)

Littlelegs

Visit site
Will do copperpot, just remember not to mix them up, hash for hacking, coke for xc, speed for sj. Think my horse is branching out herself though, asking for heat lamps in her stable got me suspicious, but the ankle length leather rug with a low inside pocket for a baseball bat was a giveaway.
Ps, I also have clacky westropps somewhere too!

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
I don't really care what others do but if I had to choose I would say folk who come to yard in expensive gear/boots which clearly haven't seen a days work to spend an hour preening their horses with show sheen etc.......in order to go for a 'hack' which entails walking about 100 metres! Lol

These seem to be the same folk who think they are going to knock everyone's socks off at shows/comps when up against those of us who school/hack our horses in all weathers to prepare for such events!

Orls

Visit site
Brill thread!

I am a complete snob, but only internally. I would never be so rude as to criticise someone over their choice of horse/tack/looks etc. It's none of my business.

I am very much a breed snob (I won't go into that as I'll be ripped to shreds here :D), hate synthetic tack, hate people riding their horses in a false outline, and hate people who overestimate their riding ability. There are so many more but don't want to cause any more offence so I'll shut up! :D

However .... I frequently ride in trackies and short boots, smoke on horseback and my horses often look like wild ponies with the amount of dirt stuck to them while I ride (sorry but would rather be riding than grooming endlessly!) so there are many people who would probably look down their noses at me!

showpony

Visit site
The one thing that bothers me but shouldnt really is when even for the likes of clear round jumping show - filthy ponies & riders in mucky boots & jods etc... doesnt make an ounce of difference BUT I think if you are going to different yards etc at least clean the horse S*** off your boots & chuck on some clean gear.

Visit site
god this thread is partly horrendous and partly funny. I think the longer you are in horses the less snobby you get!

My only criteria is "does the horse care?" - and for the vast majority of these things the answer is a resounding NO!

He does not care if his mane is unpulled, or his tail is long, or he is muddy. In fact, pretty obviously prefers it considering how often they roll!!

she does not care if her browband is bling because her young owner thinks it's cute. She does not care if her numnah doesn't match her boots or whatever, my god humans are so superficial.

he'd prefer to be in the muddy field than the spotless stable, just open the door if you're not sure....

Matching tack is SO important??? One of my saddles is over 40 years old, hard to match anything to that, but it's so good..... matching ROPES and HEADCOLLARS - really? No, really? that was a joke, yes?

i think it's safer to wear a hat, but that's my choice. And i like courtesy, but that's not snobby.

I've learned over 40 years to keep my opinions well and truly to myself, unless someone asks specifically for my advice.

I have limited time to spend, and sure don't want to spend it primping my horse when i want to ride. And now I'm older, summer riding only is getting more and more attractive. It is supposed to be fun, isn't it?

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Another here who commits the ultimate crime of smoking roll ups while riding :eek: have never yet managed to stuff the fag down under the pommel. I have taught the mare to stand still while I light said fag, (yep petrol lighters are essential). I have also been known to ride while under the influence of alcohol :D I honesstly don't care what others think of those 'crimes' I only ever get upset when people do things which put their horses at risk, or potentially cost me money (not wearing a hat), otherwise live and let live.

Moomin1

Visit site
Another here who commits the ultimate crime of smoking roll ups while riding :eek: have never yet managed to stuff the fag down under the pommel. I have taught the mare to stand still while I light said fag, (yep petrol lighters are essential). I have also been known to ride while under the influence of alcohol :D I honesstly don't care what others think of those 'crimes' I only ever get upset when people do things which put their horses at risk, or potentially cost me money (not wearing a hat), otherwise live and let live.

What about putting other people at risk? If someone does these things whilst riding on the road or public place then one moment of distraction and drop of reins could put someone else at risk.

Moomin1

Visit site
My snob tendencies are:

People who put five point breastplates and stud guards on to enter a 1ft showjumping class in an indoor arena.

'Fashion tack' - gags at the moment. Every so and so's horse has to have a bloomin gag in it's gob.

People who think it's a sin to dare work your horse when it has a speck of mud on it or looks unkempt. It's a horse. It does not care what it looks like.:rolleyes:

People who feel the need to have physio's, chiro's, trimmers, back people, saddle fitter, every vet under the sun, communicators, full work ups, go barefoot, check for ulcers etc etc etc, just because their horse has had a bad days outing and swished it's tail in the wrong direction. Every single problem mentioned these days is attributed to ulcers, teeth, back, saddle, undiagnosed underlying low grade lameness/laminitis.

YorksG

Visit site
What about putting other people at risk? If someone does these things whilst riding on the road or public place then one moment of distraction and drop of reins could put someone else at risk.

Ah so you are of the school of thought that tobbacco smoking causes people to ride like idiots and stop in the middle of the road to light up. Do we really need to point out that we only do this when it is safe to do so? Oh dear........

Littlelegs

Visit site
One thing I do judge, although I don't comment on, is people (usually instructors or mums) shouting 'diagnonal' at a rider who is still trying to master rising trot & very basic position. Diagnonals may be important, but at that stage the rider really doesn't need anything extra to worry about. So I just think 'idiot' when I hear someone shout it in those circumstances.

Moomin1

Visit site
Ah so you are of the school of thought that tobbacco smoking causes people to ride like idiots and stop in the middle of the road to light up. Do we really need to point out that we only do this when it is safe to do so? Oh dear........

No - but please explain how you manage to light up whilst holding both reins securely in both of your hands whilst lighting up?

Emma86

Visit site
I wouldnt say I am a horsey snob...BUT I think everyone is pretty quick to make up their mind about other peoples choices with their horses :rolleyes:

The only thing that really gets me is seeing a bratty rider... Obviously was the horses fault the rider didnt get a rosette, so a wallop with the whip and yank in the mouth will make sure it wins next time :p

Littlelegs

Visit site
I don't hold the reins at all when I light up on a windy day, & have before now unzipped my coat & held it up with one hand whilst I put my head & cig under it to light up. But the day I rely on the reins to stay in basic control of my mare on a hack is the day I give up. And even on youngsters, fit comp horses etc regardless of whether I'm smoking or not, I don't spend a 2hr hack with my hands on both reins.

YorksG

Visit site
[
No - but please explain how you manage to light up whilst holding both reins securely in both of your hands whilst lighting up?
I don't, my mare is trained to stand when asked and only move off when asked, but then I don't hold both reins in both hands when I ride and lead either.

Moomin1

Visit site
[

I don't, my mare is trained to stand when asked and only move off when asked, but then I don't hold both reins in both hands when I ride and lead either.

Right, so either you can light a cigarette with one hand whilst holding your horse in the other, or you literally drop the reins with both hand whilst you light up (which is clearly what you do!).

Can you GUARANTEE that your horse will NEVER do something whilst those reins are dropped?

Moomin1

Visit site
I don't hold the reins at all when I light up on a windy day, & have before now unzipped my coat & held it up with one hand whilst I put my head & cig under it to light up. But the day I rely on the reins to stay in basic control of my mare on a hack is the day I give up. And even on youngsters, fit comp horses etc regardless of whether I'm smoking or not, I don't spend a 2hr hack with my hands on both reins.

I'm sorry, but it's not in anyway about who is capable of 'controlling' their horse by rein or otherwise. It's about being responsible on the roads for the sake of other road users. Your responsibility is to ensure you are keeping as much control of your horse as you are able to. Lighting up a fag and letting go of the reins whilst you shelter the light with your jacket is hardly that, when your horse (given that they are not robots of course) suddenly out of the blue freaks and you have no reins to deal with it effectively.

scrunchie

Visit site
One thing I really hate is seeing people leading horses on the left side when they are on a road. It's normally because they have been taught to 'always lead from the left'. it irks me that people have no common sense. How are you supposed to see the traffic if there's a bloody great horse blocking your view? And what is the point in your hi-viz vest if the drivers can only see a big brown horse's bum because you are hiding on the verge? Grrrrrrr!

Other lesser things that irk me: bright coloured tack, spotty horses (I don't know why!), and those stupid 'arty' clips (luckily I haven't seen any in real life yet).

Tabula Rasa

Visit site
Honestly, as long as its not dangerous and horse, rider, other horse&people etc are safe I do anything. haha

Of course nothing that teaches bad habits etc.

My yard don't like it that I let friends and friend's children come down and groom and see my rescue filly.
TWO of which are autistic boys who really get something out of interacting with her, it is actually making a difference in their behaviour & social aspects.

Plus, I don't turn her out because our winter paddock is deep churned up mud at the gate and they just stand there all day.
Instead, I let her run around in the school for 10 minutes while I muck out and clean up. Then I take her for a walk, either through bridle paths & fields or along roads etc for Bomb-proofing.
They how ever seem to hate this? :confused:

Horse people go on of two ways -

They are either, really nice, generous, caring, welcoming and just amazing fun people to be around.

Or, they are stuck up 'witches' who don't like it if its not done their way, and talk about everyone as soon as their backs are turned.

Trust Me :cool:
Its soooooo much easier to go on with your life and just ignore anyone who doesn't find you their cup of tea.
Be polite, say hi and chat. But do NOT let their stuck up opinions affect you or your horseman ship.

Tabula Rasa x

RainbowDash

Visit site
Each to their own - everyone is different afterall - the only two things that annoy me are riding school mums (I just want to knock their heads together - FFS) and non-horsey mums who buy their kid a 3k pony and leave their pony-loving teen in charge of it and have no incination to even learn how to lead it from the field .....

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I'm sorry, but it's not in anyway about who is capable of 'controlling' their horse by rein or otherwise. It's about being responsible on the roads for the sake of other road users. Your responsibility is to ensure you are keeping as much control of your horse as you are able to. Lighting up a fag and letting go of the reins whilst you shelter the light with your jacket is hardly that, when your horse (given that they are not robots of course) suddenly out of the blue freaks and you have no reins to deal with it effectively.

Why assume people smoke on busy roads ? I certainly don't. Most of my riding is not on roads. Smoking on horse back is relaxing and riding on A roads is not a chill out moment when constantly dodging motorists with a death wish.

Holding grimly to the reins isn't something I do generally and when I drop the reins, its a signal to my horses to stand down and rest.

That reminds me of some thing Tom Dorrance said when asked how to stop a horse spooking at something. He said that he dropped the reins and lit a cigarette.
It could be seen as a flippant answer, but its actually true, if you're a confident rider.

jofwigby

Visit site
Horse-sitting elsewhere so paid overdue visit to best horsey friend - ooohed and aahed over pretty youngstock, inspected gleaming hunters and "there" she says, pointing "and that's arrived" - Cob the Bounty Pony - bright orange with

YorksG

Visit site
Why assume people smoke on busy roads ? I certainly don't. Most of my riding is not on roads. Smoking on horse back is relaxing and riding on A roads is not a chill out moment when constantly dodging motorists with a death wish.

Holding grimly to the reins isn't something I do generally and when I drop the reins, its a signal to my horses to stand down and rest.

That reminds me of some thing Tom Dorrance said when asked how to stop a horse spooking at something. He said that he dropped the reins and lit a cigarette.
It could be seen as a flippant answer, but its actually true, if you're a confident rider.

well said that rider :)

marmalade76

Visit site

:confused: Who said anything about smoking whilst riding on roads?? Only a very small proportion of my hacks are on roads.