are you a mare or gelding person?

Do you vaccinate againt Flu

• Total voters

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Are you a mare or gelding person?

I have a gelding, mum has a mare. I have gotten on well with mares that I haven't owned in the past but think I am probably too bossy to own one. I think I would err on the side of a gelding if horse shopping again,

how about you?

Cop-Pop

Visit site
I always seem to end up with mares
smile.gif

JM07

Visit site
i can't answer...
there isnt an option for colts/geldings

mares are just needed to produce colts/geldings!
tongue.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Ziggy_

Visit site
Mares.

Of all the years I've been riding (mainly in RS so I'm talking loads of different horses) I have met one gelding that I liked. Just the one - and it took eight months of being cajoled into riding him for him to win me over!

I'd go so far as to totally discount geldings when horse shopping - wouldn't go to view one, probably wouldn't even click on the ad TBH.

3Beasties

Visit site
I have two mares and 1 gelding but I choose the Gelding option. As much as I love my two girlie's I think I geldings are a lot easier and if I was buying another riding horse I would look for a gelding.
smile.gif

connie1288

Visit site
I totally agree, i once heard a good mare will give you much more than a gelding and i have been able to agree with this. Mares give you more of a challenge and more reward IMO!!

rema

Visit site
I have one of each but always had mares before.I hadent set out to always having mares but the horses were just what i was after but happened to be mares.But i love my boy very much he is my main man..
grin.gif

Flame_

Visit site
Mares. When horse shopping I'll view both but normally wind up with mares. I had one gelding but he was a big girl really!
grin.gif

soph21

Visit site
Geldings all the way, I clash with mares especially hot headed ones
tongue.gif

Good thing with geldings is they are the weaker species (in human too
tongue.gif
) So you always win the battles lol!

TicTac

Visit site
I have owned many geldings over the years and have loved them all dearly and not one of them were troublesome in any way. My current horse is a mare and she is my first. I have had her for 10 months now and for the first 9 1/2 months didn't like her! however she is growing on me now, she is different from the boys, very intelligent and demanding but is teaching me great self control and patients! Given the choice again though I would probably favour another gelding.

loulabelle

Visit site
I have 2 stallions and a mare! Although my boys are getting the chop on the 16th
I havent had any problems handling either of my boys, in the past have only had geldings so my mare is a first for me

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
sorry JM, I knew I would miss someone out, I have logged your vote though.

I also think mares can latch on to you more, my mums is def a mummys girl if mum goes away, Frank just likes food I think!

Jane_Lou

Visit site
I keep trying to buy mares but always end up with geldings! I have had 4 mares in my life, 2 brilliant, 1 tricky and 1 plain impossible! Current count 3 geldings and the impossible mare who although cute (11h welsh A) will never be sold because of her individuality
grin.gif

nicnag

Visit site
Mares definately. I'll view both mares and geldings but I'll always go back to mares. I just seem to click with them. I have owned one gelding but he only lasted 8 months as we just didn't get on, think he made me even more set on mares!

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
I used to be a gelding person, and wouldn't touch a mare with a bargepole. All my ponies were geldings. However, after looking at several geldings and finding nothing suitable, we went to see a mare- Tara. Since then, my love for mares has grown, and I have had 2 more since her.
I think you build so much more of a relationship with a mare. My old gelding ponies used to love anyone if they had a mint in their pocket, whereas you have to build a bond and put some effort in with a mare. You can't just walk up to a mare and expect them to be your best friend. Some people don't like that, but I do- makes me feel like I have a mutual bond with my horse when I know she is happy to see ME
smile.gif

frannieuk

Visit site
Deffo mares for me. I think that once you click with a mare the bond is extremely strong, and much more personal than with geldings (in general, obviously there are exceptions to this!).

Three

Visit site
Either!
grin.gif

I have one mare and two geldings and I have a great relationship with all of them.

All three have their quirks but I wouldn't change them.
laugh.gif

Gal

Visit site
I like both very much. I loved my little mare - smitten at first sight, I knew we were meant to be. She was challenging....

My gelding and I took longer to bond, about 2 years! He was much more subtle about things.....the mare demanded attention and fun and she wanted it now!

PS I love him as much as I did the mare, but it was not as immediate or as dramatic!

I still miss her - I eventually had to have her euthanased as the Cushings medicine stopped working for her and as a result her laminitis became unmanageable.

But I love my smoochy boy.