Dressage Area Festivals

Roxylola

Visit site
Not our most flattering angle, but it does highlight that I dont have a lot of arm to give. This is just after one where I went forward a bit and you can see its tipped him down as a result ?

Attachments

• 20201217_122704.jpg
    20201217_122704.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 25

FourLeafClover

Visit site
I don’t think you could to be honest. The passport name has to match the horse which has qualified and entered. I had a problem a few years back with my little cob because on BD he has IX after his name, and that’s because for BE he was the 9th of his name. But his passport doesn’t have the numbers. I had about 20 minutes discussing with a steward about how this is definitely the right horse. Lesson learnt!
Congratulations on your qualification! I did the prelim PetPlans a couple of years ago...unfortunately didn’t do a great job at the second round but had an absolute blast.

Ahhhh rubbish. His name is literally awful... It's something like #2993609 o_O You need to enter through MyRidingLife where his 'name' is what I put him down as for unaffiliated competition, so I presume I'll need to change that to the above abomination as well!

shortstuff99

Visit site
Not our most flattering angle, but it does highlight that I dont have a lot of arm to give. This is just after one where I went forward a bit and you can see its tipped him down as a result ?
From that picture I think you could give a reasonable amount, but he does look as if he will fall on the forehand rather then keep the self carriage. Which I guess is the point of the exercise, I feel your pain.

Bernster

Visit site

Not that familiar with dressage scoring - would you get better or worse marks for showing more give and him going on the forehand v less obvious give but not being on the forehand - does anyone know? Just interested. I think your boy is super Roxy.

Roxylola

Visit site
Well, 6 is "satisfactory" basically you did it in the right place at the right time and it didnt go awfully wrong. Either way, I think it's a 6 at best - either not enough give or splat downhill. The one I forgot completely got me a 5 so they do see some difference ? also, it's the movement as a whole so the circle, the canter, the g and r. I console myself with that notion but no matter how good the other bits are I cant get past a 6

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
if the judge thinks you didn't do the movement it would impact on your rider mark in the collectives, so I would prefer an attempt that results in the horse collapsing briefly than getting clobbered twice for not appearing to do it.

eggs

Visit site
Well I've gone and entered for Solihull - going very much to make up the numbers though! Love my horse to bits but he is definitely a mid-60s horse.

On the G&R the judge will be looking for a loop in the reins. Try a half halt and then push your hands towards his mouth by straightening your elbow rather than by leaning forward

Roxylola

Visit site
Oh I dont expect anything amazing - I think he'll work his way up the ranks as a mid 60s horse eggs, we're just there for the outing really.
Thanks for the tips all, it really is something I need to improve on (or avoid ?‍♀️)

Asha

Visit site
I will join the making up numbers club. Our results range from 62-67% so we have no hope, im just excited to have qualified and something to look forward to. My main concern is remembering the test,ive never done one without a reader. With my memory im sure to get it wrong !

Sprat

Visit site
Just keep going over it Asha. Everyone learns in different ways, but I find drawing it out a few times tends to work for me.

I'm not worried about remembering the test, but I am concerned that Bean will completely crap herself at Solihull. It's not a venue I've taken her to before, and she gets quite boggle eye'd at new places. She couldn't cope with Vale View, and she doesn't do well with music / flower pots etc. I may try and get over there for an arena hire over xmas to acclimatise her to it a little.

Roxylola

Visit site
I generally draw my tests, I've ridden 23 a couple of times recently which helps. My owner wont call for me anyway, she worries she'll get it wrong so its learn it or lose it for me ?
I think the atmosphere might light us up a bit but I'm hoping in a good way although I may live to regret that ?

Sprat

Visit site
It's a fine line isn't it ? Quite keen for some springy energy, but don't want to encourage a wall of death spook around the arena with ears up my nose!

I'm going to ride n23 between xmas & new year, it's been a while since I've ridden it but from what I remember it's quite a friendly test

Roxylola

Visit site
Yeah it rides ok, it doesnt suit us brilliantly, early medium trot and walk with a brief trot before the second canter is not conducive to a relaxed trot transition if I ride it too often ? but that's an issue with having a clever cow pony not the test ?

Asha

Visit site
Thanks Sprat, will try that. I always practise in my living room too. At least theres only 1 test to learn, so im hoping it sinks in, plus will have a few lessons on it before i go. Prelim 19 for us, which ive ridden twice, and seem to remember i quite liked.

I was thinking about getting over to aintree before the day, but seen that the only test on there is mid week so i cant get to that.
Pips usually fairly straight forward, but in new places shes better on her second test as does get a bit tense for the first one.

Do they let you go around the arena first before hand, im sure a friend of mine was allowed to do that at the regionals ?

Sprat

Visit site
Good question Asha, not one that I can answer but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come along to advise!

An arena walk beforehand would be lovely!

Jenni_

www.facebook.com

Here is my last G&R where I got a 7. So obviously plenty room for improvement, but a 7 is a 7! When coming to the G&R in Novice, I give a little collection seat aid and a half halt just to make sure horse isn't sitting on my hands before I give my hands forward, straightening the elbow. I think my hands are too high here and I'm leaning forward, but after years of them being too low and used for balancing, I'd rather they be too high and independent than too low and fixed at the minute but I make sure to emphasis the give. It's like 'show some medium trot' - showing the actual transition in and out is important.

Hope this helps!

Roxylola

Visit site
Woo, 7 is a whole mark better than mine I'd take that lol. It doesnt help at all that canter is his weakest pace especially in an arena. But we've gone from scraping 60 unaffiliated prelim to mid 60s affiliated novice since January so I cant grumble (much)