As you get older what is the most important thing you have learnt

mini_b

Visit site
You’re not fat - you HAVE fat

Actually being aware that you know less than you think you do.... I think that’s all teenagers for you and I’m glad I can profess my ignorance as It makes me open to learning.

your animals are not deliberately trying to p*ss you off

don’t dwell and just crack on. I’m a perfectionist and it has stopped me doing anything rather than trying SOMETHING.

clichéd but... love many, trust few, do no wrong/harm to anyone.

being young you make mistakes and kind of crash through life, (well I did) id glad I’ve been able to reflect and improve.

Jellymoon

Visit site
that everyone (else) is not an expert!
It’s ALL about self belief!
Once you show a chink or weakness or self-doubt horse people will swoop in like vultures and take over your life.
Trust your gut feeling.
You know your own horse.
Each one is an individual, you can’t force them to enjoy doing dressage /jumping/whatever just because you do.
That if you ask a vet to find something wrong with your horse, they will find it and it will cost you thousands to be told you have a broken horse when it probably wasn’t even that broken in the first place and a change of career or management would have meant a happy life together or with someone else.
That there are other people out there who can love and care for your horse as well or even better than you can, but be very careful to find them before parting.
Oh yes, and finally, being a one horse owner is bloody miserable, too much emotion and happiness invested in that one poor creature, better to have several!!

SadKen

Visit site
Despite thinking I was quite a good rider as a child/teenager, I actually can't ride one side of 95% of horses available today.

(this hasn't stopped me hankering after a beautiful 5yo ID which is currently being advertised, which is UTTERLY UNSUITABLE for me by any stretch of the imagination).

southerncomfort

Visit site
That no matter how bad things seem their is almost always a solution. It may not be immediately obvious, and it often requires you to take a step back and give yourself time and space to think it through, but their will be a way through.

To forgive quickly. Holding on to grudges and bad feelings can make you very unhappy. Better to draw a line under it and move on.

My motto in life is: one foot in front of the other. If you're moving you're winning however slow progress might seem.

tristar

Visit site
yeah, got a problem, want to know where to get something,? well ask on horse and hound.

that the best thing in is the world is sitting on a great horse in the morning, with sun on your face, and thinking, this is the place of happiness