As you get older what is the most important thing you have learnt

molar roller

Visit site
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. (Bertrand Russell)

when I get older I realize that

The whole problem with the horsey world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

DD

Visit site
good thread. all the above plus lifes not a competition, it isn't necessary to ride every day ,horses can be loved for being just who they are, its ok to go walkies in hand ,its ok to ride once a month or every day ,do what pleases you. just enjoy your time with them ,what others do is their business not yours the list goes on.

monte1

Visit site
health is the most important thing and "use it or lose it"
muscle strength is top of the list. Aim to do everything at 70 that you could do at 30 (stable work wise) If you do it everyday you don't lose the strength.
Just love this quote, that is pretty much my mantra as well.. "use it or lose it" :) although i am early 50's, hoping to stay this way well into my 70's

maya2008

Visit site
That a sweet tempered ‘normal’ horse will get an average rider far further in much more safety than a well-bred warmblood.

That you don’t need gadgets or fancy tack or any of the expensive commercial stuff. Spend your time and money on training and the vet where needed.

That it doesn’t matter how long it takes to back a baby horse, never push them and you will get there in the end! I have a 4yo who took many weeks to find the confidence to go solo. The whole world told me if I didn’t force him soon he would be worse. I waited until he was ready. We went sooooo slowly. Now, he is the best behaved of all of mine, I can ride him in a bareback pad and headcollar and he will school beautifully, or take him hacking solo in the wind and rain. We got there by being sympathetic. He would not be the same horse if he had been rushed.

lannerch

Visit site
No horse is naturally naughty

if you think your horse is not right believe it it isn’t

and then my general life philosophy don’t waste time on unnecessary worry, the only worry you should be concerned about is that which you can adapt your life in some way to avoid , any other type is unnecessary and just brings you down so just don’t waste your time on it.

Last edited:

Carlosmum

Visit site
Repay your parents, in their old age, with the same love and respect they showed you as a child. I have never loved my parents more than I do now. 😍

don't misunderstand me I would never not care for the parents, but I was once told by a very wise lady that as we got older, we should never expect our children to take care of us , but to pass it forward and expect them to take care of their children. With a MIL now living with us and driving me nuts wanting this, that & the other done:I have told my boys ( 30 & 28) if I start turning into Granny they are to tell me!

Equi

Visit site
i've avoided this thread. Because i think my view is a little depressing. The most important thing i have learnt is that the world is a bit shit. People can be so cruel to each other and so abusive. Im not a saint...i say things i don't mean and generally feel bad after (a lot on here cause i take the anon a bit for granted) I will never be a great person but i do try mostly. I very much try to do good in my job because those people are harmless and i just only ever want to do the best for them, they deserve it. What i can't change is others...i can't stop the horrors happening to people that i dont witness. It makes me crumble some times. All i have learned is to just keep trying...just keep loving people. I adore my job more than i can say because i want someone to treat me like how i hope i treat them...i cant stop war or abuse world wide but i can try and make my little bubble better. I hope so anyway.

The-Bookworm

Visit site
That I will change and to go with it.
I have bought three cookbooks, friends are thinking their is a bad virus going round that completely takes over the brain. o_O
I hate cooking!