At wits end with runny poo! Any ideas?

Mule

Visit site
Still a common recommendation for small mammals (particularly guinea pigs), but must admit I've not heard it used for horses before! How do you do it: just manure from a healthy horse in hot water? How much?
In smaller creatures, the whole lot is mashed up together and syringe fed to them as lots of commonly used drugs upset gut flora balance pretty severely which can lead to constipation and GI stasis.
How and why does poo tea work?
😮😀

windand rain

Visit site
Poo tea reintroduces the gut flora and so stabilises the good bacteria that encourages correct digestion, still think it may be an interference in gut lining that is causing the issue. Old livery suffers when fed hay so he now has a mix of pink mash and equidgel so far this year he has been fine

Mule

Visit site
Poo tea reintroduces the gut flora and so stabilises the good bacteria that encourages correct digestion, still think it may be an interference in gut lining that is causing the issue. Old livery suffers when fed hay so he now has a mix of pink mash and equidgel so far this year he has been fine
How come e coli and other bacteria doesn't make them Ill?

ImmyS

Visit site
Thank you for all suggestions, making note of the ones I haven’t tried. Coming to a point now where it’s just getting expensive and frustrating. I almost wish he had some other symptoms but we’ve just got nothing to go on so can only assume he’s quite happy!

ImmyS

Visit site
Here’s the monkey this morning looking shiney happy and content!

u0alUWD.jpg

meleeka

Visit site
Mine is much improved on Protexin Acid Ease. Gut balancer had no effect. Protexin Quick Fix worked while feeding it so I knew it must be digestion related.

Micky

Visit site
Old horse we had was like this, some days runny poos, other vaguely normal, so a huge tablespoon of natural yogurt in his feed every day for approx a month, then I forgot to buy it for a few days and his poos were back to normal real..it’s cheap and cheerful enough so might be worth a try?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I'm not suggesting this applies in your case but just throwing it out there as a suggestion for anyone else struggling with mystery sloppy poos.

I have a horse that had mystery splatty poos that didn't respond to any of the suggested ideas above. Some days she would do normal poos but often they were quite liquid and she often had a bit of a dirty back end.
When she was diagnosed with arthritis in her neck and I stopped working her it dried up immediately. I think the low grade pain and stress she was feeling from being asked to work (despite being quite willing and forward) was upsetting her tum. She was and is the picture of health, but now she is a field ornament we don't ever have a problem with wet poos.

ImmyS

Visit site
I'm not suggesting this applies in your case but just throwing it out there as a suggestion for anyone else struggling with mystery sloppy poos.

I have a horse that had mystery splatty poos that didn't respond to any of the suggested ideas above. Some days she would do normal poos but often they were quite liquid and she often had a bit of a dirty back end.
When she was diagnosed with arthritis in her neck and I stopped working her it dried up immediately. I think the low grade pain and stress she was feeling from being asked to work (despite being quite willing and forward) was upsetting her tum. She was and is the picture of health, but now she is a field ornament we don't ever have a problem with wet poos.

Thank you for suggestions as all good food for thought. In this case I’m not sure if it’s him as he had 5 months off over last winter turned away and was still intermittently runny.

LegOn

Visit site
Have you tried a physio or osteo session? I knew a horse like yours - every supplement under the planet was tried but when they had an Osteo treatment, there was a bit of tension in the muscle structure and it was causing some gastro tightness which was giving intermittent runny poos! Tightness gone & poos got much better! Worth a try :D

ImmyS

Visit site
Thank you
Have you tried a physio or osteo session? I knew a horse like yours - every supplement under the planet was tried but when they had an Osteo treatment, there was a bit of tension in the muscle structure and it was causing some gastro tightness which was giving intermittent runny poos! Tightness gone & poos got much better! Worth a try :D

Thank you, Definitely worth a try

be positive

Visit site
Back to the banana idea, they are high in potassium which is in electrolytes, I would try giving some lo salt as a cheaper alternative to electrolytes and easier than bananas, he will be losing some essential nutrients as everything is passing through too quickly so I do think you are right to try to get him back to normal and not just ignore it as long term it may impact on his health although probably only in a minor way.

ImmyS

Visit site
Back to the banana idea, they are high in potassium which is in electrolytes, I would try giving some lo salt as a cheaper alternative to electrolytes and easier than bananas, he will be losing some essential nutrients as everything is passing through too quickly so I do think you are right to try to get him back to normal and not just ignore it as long term it may impact on his health although probably only in a minor way.

Thank you I do add salt to his feed and he has free access to salt blocks

ImmyS

Visit site
Immy, lo salt has a different chemical make up to normal table salt (potassium rather than sodium) so it's def worth a try getting hold of some to use in addition to your normal salt :)
Ahh thank you I missed the ‘lo’ bit, where can I get this from?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Ahh thank you I missed the ‘lo’ bit, where can I get this from?
most supermarkets have it next to the normal salt. (it's sold as an alternative for people who need/want to keep their sodium consumption down).

ImmyS

Visit site
Thank you, wo
most supermarkets have it next to the normal salt. (it's sold as an alternative for people who need/want to keep their sodium consumption down).
thank you would you feed it instead of normal salt or along side? And if so how much? Sorry all the questions! I appreciate everyone’s help