Backing 3/4yr olds

palo1

Visit site
1st ever lesson today! :) Just 30 minutes with a very nice local instructor -I was super happy with the lesson and Alw certainly showed improvement in her rhythm/tempo and we got a lovely canter on the right rein. :) Left canter, which is usually her best was not so great today but I was so happy with right canter I am not so fussed about that. Transitions are starting to smarten up and I have a good plan moving forward for the next 3-4 weeks. Definate things to work on as well as some more qualitative things. I finally acknowledged that I would like to try a few tests next year with the intention of calling it a wrap for dressage if we get through Prelim and achieve a Novice test without too shaming a result!! :) It is so good to be able to tell someone that without them falling about laughing or looking worried...

It felt good to be able to have some sort of stated plan/ambition however humble it may be. Lovely instructor was very nice about sweet Alw too. It seemed all very straightforward, productive and constructive which is fab and we have another lesson booked next week. I will go with that for a couple more weeks until I return to work when logistics become more tricky. I will probably hope then to alternate lessons and arena hire before giving Alw another winter break/reduction in her work. I want to admit too that I was enormously chuffed that my instructor reassured me that we could go out to Intro dressage tomorrow without feeling embarrassed as to where we are at at all and that Alw is quite straight and correct, listens to me really well and has a lovely rhythm. This really is music to my ears actually - though not a massive 'achievement' as such!! I am sure most people take these things absolutely for granted but I feel chuffed because I have done everything myself so far, including all the manners/loading/confidence boosting/groundwork/in hand work so that taking her somewhere is actually a pleasure and means I can actually concentrate on helping her to work more effectively. I don't have any arena or 'facilities at home' which doesn't bother me but I always enjoy help and good input from others and what with one thing and another Alw has only had me so far.

It is such early days but after quite a long isolated period working alone with my young horse it is lovely to see a way ahead with some help and support from someone else. Later in the Autumn I will be hoping to take Alw for a lesson with my favourite but more 'serious' and expensive trainer - it's one step at a time!! :) :)

TheMule

Visit site
1st ever lesson today! :) Just 30 minutes with a very nice local instructor -I was super happy with the lesson and Alw certainly showed improvement in her rhythm/tempo and we got a lovely canter on the right rein. :) Left canter, which is usually her best was not so great today but I was so happy with right canter I am not so fussed about that. Transitions are starting to smarten up and I have a good plan moving forward for the next 3-4 weeks. Definate things to work on as well as some more qualitative things. I finally acknowledged that I would like to try a few tests next year with the intention of calling it a wrap for dressage if we get through Prelim and achieve a Novice test without too shaming a result!! :) It is so good to be able to tell someone that without them falling about laughing or looking worried...

It felt good to be able to have some sort of stated plan/ambition however humble it may be. Lovely instructor was very nice about sweet Alw too. It seemed all very straightforward, productive and constructive which is fab and we have another lesson booked next week. I will go with that for a couple more weeks until I return to work when logistics become more tricky. I will probably hope then to alternate lessons and arena hire before giving Alw another winter break/reduction in her work. I want to admit too that I was enormously chuffed that my instructor reassured me that we could go out to Intro dressage tomorrow without feeling embarrassed as to where we are at at all and that Alw is quite straight and correct, listens to me really well and has a lovely rhythm. This really is music to my ears actually - though not a massive 'achievement' as such!! I am sure most people take these things absolutely for granted but I feel chuffed because I have done everything myself so far, including all the manners/loading/confidence boosting/groundwork/in hand work so that taking her somewhere is actually a pleasure and means I can actually concentrate on helping her to work more effectively. I don't have any arena or 'facilities at home' which doesn't bother me but I always enjoy help and good input from others and what with one thing and another Alw has only had me so far.

It is such early days but after quite a long isolated period working alone with my young horse it is lovely to see a way ahead with some help and support from someone else. Later in the Autumn I will be hoping to take Alw for a lesson with my favourite but more 'serious' and expensive trainer - it's one step at a time!! :):)

That sounds like a really positive experience, well done!

ahml100

Visit site
First school report from my trainer who is very kindly backing Jamie for me.

He was a bit 'lost' the first 48 hours, however I was reassured that this is perfectly normal as his little world have been turned upside down! - it is a slight jump going from the field with all your friends with the same person working with you, to a stable and someone who you have never met before...! However, now he understands his new routine he has been lovely, confident with lunging (the one area I did very little with) and remembering his earlier long lining eduction. I think he will have another week of long - lining before the actual backing process starts. Though, there is no time frame for him as I just want a happy confident horse so if it takes 3 weeks or more I am not fussed.

My trainer very kindly sent me this picture of him yesterday, I would be lying if I said that I have not spent all of yesterday and today window shopping for a smart hunting bridle. I can not wait to see hounds in full cry from behind those ears.

Attachments

• 039466AD-1DBA-46FC-AE5F-DB439FD7CA97.jpeg
    039466AD-1DBA-46FC-AE5F-DB439FD7CA97.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 22

Asha

Visit site
We finally have something worth sharing . Frank is at big school , and learning to long rein . They think they will be able to sit on him next week , But just want to make sure they have brakes first . Only comments so far is that he’s more of a competition horse ( assuming by that they mean he’s sharp ??) , that’s what he’s bred for so .. and he’s a bit fussy in his mouth. He did have his teeth checked a few months ago, but may just have to get them checked again . 9129EB25-DFA1-4415-B011-CDDF219B791D.jpeg

TheMule

Visit site
Exciting times Asha! Look forwards to seeing the 'on board' pics.
My two are turned away again now as we achieved everything I wanted to this year. Now I've just got to basically ignore them until next Easter which is hard as they were such fun to work with, so I will be living through everyone else on this post!

Asha

Visit site
Exciting times Asha! Look forwards to seeing the 'on board' pics.
My two are turned away again now as we achieved everything I wanted to this year. Now I've just got to basically ignore them until next Easter which is hard as they were such fun to work with, so I will be living through everyone else on this post!

It’s a mixture of excitement and nervous anticipation, I can’t wait to see someone on board and to get him hacking out . Plan is to do a few weeks of that and see how he is . We may do what you doing and chuck him away for a couple of months , will just see what we have in a few weeks .
Yours have both been fab, I hope Frank is as easy ?

TheMule

Visit site
It’s a mixture of excitement and nervous anticipation, I can’t wait to see someone on board and to get him hacking out . Plan is to do a few weeks of that and see how he is . We may do what you doing and chuck him away for a couple of months , will just see what we have in a few weeks .
Yours have both been fab, I hope Frank is as easy ?

I can’t believe my luck with how easy mine have been- I've been helping a friend with hers and ? it really hit home. It does help if you’ve had them all the way through though as they know me and totally trust me.

Asha

Visit site
I can’t believe my luck with how easy mine have been- I've been helping a friend with hers and ? it really hit home. It does help if you’ve had them all the way through though as they know me and totally trust me.

I think you are spot on . I just haven’t the bottle / experience to do it . Hats off to those who can , it must make it such an easier transition for the horse

Cluelessblonde

Visit site
I think you are spot on . I just haven’t the bottle / experience to do it . Hats off to those who can , it must make it such an easier transition for the horse

I plan on riding mine off myself... But my girlie is being broken by an 80 year old man that I'd trust with my life... Its probably the last I'll be able to get broken by him so it was a no brainer for me!!

Asha

Visit site
I plan on riding mine off myself... But my girlie is being broken by an 80 year old man that I'd trust with my life... Its probably the last I'll be able to get broken by him so it was a no brainer for me!!

Crikey ! He’s 80 ??, well blinking fair play to him for still being able to do that ! Make sure you post some photos of them both ?

Cluelessblonde

Visit site
Crikey ! He’s 80 ??, well blinking fair play to him for still being able to do that ! Make sure you post some photos of them both ?

Yup 60 years experience how cool is that?! Still hunts horses... Softest hands in the world!! Definitely getting some pictures... He always says they're just like kids... Don't spoil them don't neglect them

itroteverywhere

Visit site
We reached a milestone today- Nova went out to a party for the first time (bar as a foal when he went to futurity!) My dressage trainer teaches at a lovely quiet yard about 20mins away so we took the chance to go and use it as a really nice introduction to the concept of being ridden in different places.
We did some work in hand first which was really helpful- just teaching him to yield the quarters and shoulders from a slightly different cue and then practicing sharp walk-halt-walk transitions. He was very good so I got on and we did the same from on board and then did some trotting. Wobbly, as to be expected, but he was so, so good. He is now exhausted but very pleased with himself!

View attachment 53128
View attachment 53129
View attachment 53130

If you have 18 minutes or so to waste, this is the majority of what we did!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Who is your instructor The Mule? She seems fab!

ihatework

Visit site
Well my little guy has been superb.
He has really settled and knuckled down to some work.

This month he has been going out in the trailer a fair bit - once a week to the girls yard who is riding him and he also went to Wickstead and strung a few show jumps together and did a bit of ditch schooling. Then he did his first proper Xc school at Oxtalls and was a complete pro. Trotted and popped all the diddy ones then went in the big field and jumped some 80/90’s plus steps and water. Bold, honest and loving it!!

So I’m not sure he needs to do too much more at this stage, he is now ready for a holiday and will be going back to Stud this weekend.

Oh, and he has only grown an inch in the last 5 months ?

E22D7014-3FFE-4692-9690-2D587659B9CF.jpeg

palo1

Visit site
@ihatework - Wow!! Super smart chap :) ) My little mare is coming along very nicely - now going out in the trailer once a week to do 30 mins of structured schooling with a view to competition 'exposure' later in the autumn. She too has grown, strengthened and thankfully slimmed down a bit :) It's slow but steady progress and I am delighted with her!! :)

lannerch

Visit site
Well my little guy has been superb.
He has really settled and knuckled down to some work.

This month he has been going out in the trailer a fair bit - once a week to the girls yard who is riding him and he also went to Wickstead and strung a few show jumps together and did a bit of ditch schooling. Then he did his first proper Xc school at Oxtalls and was a complete pro. Trotted and popped all the diddy ones then went in the big field and jumped some 80/90’s plus steps and water. Bold, honest and loving it!!

So I’m not sure he needs to do too much more at this stage, he is now ready for a holiday and will be going back to Stud this weekend.

Oh, and he has only grown an inch in the last 5 months ?

View attachment 54023
Wow he looks fabulous a proper event horse he’s really matured .

TheMule

Visit site
Who is your instructor The Mule? She seems fab!

She's called Demelza Hawes. I count myself as very fortunate that a random Facebook post led me to her as I've been looking for a classical instructor for a long time and she comes to a yard just down the road a few times a year. She's bloody brilliant!

Michen

Visit site
My guy has a busy few weeks. Met hounds on Wednesday and will do so again tomorrow. Little in hand show Monday and hounds again Friday then we will go to weekly hound exercise/autumn hunting providing good behaviour remains.

Hopefully he will do a little dressage competition before having a month or so off over Christmas and then we will start doing more school, begin jumping etc early 2021.

209C764B-7D23-4518-A417-1A447E3B2033.jpeg

TheMule

Visit site
I’m pretty sure there is one going already which I think I’ve signed either that or the fizz I’ve had tonight has gone to my head ?

They did one in the US, and one over here for BD a few years ago. She wouldn’t currently be allowed to compete BS or BE

ahml100

Visit site
Big day here!
Today, I sat on my boy for the first time to have a little walk and trot up e lane.

He has been under saddle for 10 days and all I can say is wow, it has been worth the wait. I am so lucky that my trainer is so knowledgable as ultimately I am reaping all the benefits!

So (hopefully will work!) a little video and photo of the big moment will be added shortly...once I get it to load!??

ahml100

Visit site
Big day here!
Today, I sat on my boy for the first time to have a little walk and trot up e lane.

He has been under saddle for 10 days and all I can say is wow, it has been worth the wait. I am so lucky that my trainer is so knowledgable as ultimately I am reaping all the benefits!

So (hopefully will work!) a little video and photo of the big moment will be added shortly...once I get it to load!??

IMG_3891.PNG

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

ahml100

Visit site
Looking super, well done!
He looks fab . Really nice and chilled out .Well done , it’s great when a plan comes together ?

Thank you so much! My trainer is really pleased with him and thinks he is going to make a smart horse in the future. One more week of school then home for a long holiday until the spring

MarvelVillis

Visit site
Love catching up on this thread and seeing everyone's youngsters. My guy turned 3 last month, we've just moved to a new yard so letting him settle down and then will restart regular walks in hand and long reining. I've always wanted to wait until he was 4 to be broken in, but as he's a late baby I'm not sure whether to wait until the following spring so we've got the spring/summer to be riding away. Lots to think about before then! We went on our first walk in hand on the weekend on Dartmoor and he was really well behaved, considering we came across walkers, dogs, cows, sheep and ponies!

11.jpg