Backing 3/4yr olds

Northern

Visit site
Baby Bella had her wolf teeth and some caps out yesterday, first dental for her it seems as she had quite sharp teeth. Was a really good girl in general and is tolerating me squirting antibiotics in her mouth surprisingly well!

This was the first step towards bitting her, so we should be good to go with that in 2-3 weeks. Vet has agreed she is almost ready to be sat on which is what I have been thinking, we've got all the time in the world to work up to that though. But exciting! Can't wait to see what she can do under saddle.

Unfortunately she is now fence walking when I take my pony away to ride :rolleyes: It's just a stretch of 7-8 metres but annoying nonetheless. Don't want her to make a habit of it :/ She does stop and take herself off to graze when said pony is back in her yard though which is a plus. I've tried putting her in a box with hay but she had an epic tantrum about it today and I don't want her to start behaving like that when boxed. My secret weapon in the form of my TB mare is coming home on Saturday and will go out with her 24/7, so hopefully that will put a stop to the walking and maker her happier. Further suggestions most welcome :D The joys of horses 'eh!

Still love the ratbag though :cool:
BFace.JPG

Asha

Visit site
Baby Bella had her wolf teeth and some caps out yesterday, first dental for her it seems as she had quite sharp teeth. Was a really good girl in general and is tolerating me squirting antibiotics in her mouth surprisingly well!

This was the first step towards bitting her, so we should be good to go with that in 2-3 weeks. Vet has agreed she is almost ready to be sat on which is what I have been thinking, we've got all the time in the world to work up to that though. But exciting! Can't wait to see what she can do under saddle.

Unfortunately she is now fence walking when I take my pony away to ride :rolleyes: It's just a stretch of 7-8 metres but annoying nonetheless. Don't want her to make a habit of it :/ She does stop and take herself off to graze when said pony is back in her yard though which is a plus. I've tried putting her in a box with hay but she had an epic tantrum about it today and I don't want her to start behaving like that when boxed. My secret weapon in the form of my TB mare is coming home on Saturday and will go out with her 24/7, so hopefully that will put a stop to the walking and maker her happier. Further suggestions most welcome :D The joys of horses 'eh!

Still love the ratbag though :cool:
View attachment 54722

Glad shes ok and handled it well. Frank is having a large wolf tooth removed today, im hoping hes as good as she was. Hes staying put at the backing yard, and having some time in the field before they start again.
Seperation anxiety is a tough one, hope someone comes along with some good tips for you. All i do with mine is bring them in, feed them and then chuck them back out. But gradually increase the time in the stable after they've finished eating,

Northern

Visit site
Glad shes ok and handled it well. Frank is having a large wolf tooth removed today, im hoping hes as good as she was. Hes staying put at the backing yard, and having some time in the field before they start again.
Seperation anxiety is a tough one, hope someone comes along with some good tips for you. All i do with mine is bring them in, feed them and then chuck them back out. But gradually increase the time in the stable after they've finished eating,

Thanks Asha, good idea with the stable - will work on it! I'm sure Frank will be fine, I always forget how brutal and bloody it is. For the best though, my TB turned out to have a fractured wolf tooth so it's really worth taking them out IMO before they start causing problems.

lannerch

Visit site
I’ve got an update , a week ago we brought Layla in and pords whose backing her , started long lining her again, she had forgotten nothing. Monday as she had done so well , he got on she was not phased at all.
Today we went for a short hack he rode her I rode my friends horse she was awesome so chilled , two trains went by, a tractor and several cars one driven by a lunatic .
Then I got on and had a quick go , I forgot how hard work baby horses are but I can’t stop smiling . Have videos will try and work out how to Post .

lannerch

Visit site
How exciting! She looks super under saddle- is it nice up there?
She has a very short neck but enough to be secure Her walk is mega so big, and I really forgot what hard work young horses were, she is one that is not shy of your leg but as she’s not used to the command you still have to do pony club kicks , she was unsure of a horse box parked at the lower barn , I had my reins too long as I didn’t really want a contact at this stage , so she managed to spin , I persuaded her to go back and finally past it like a good girl but I was sweating lol . How did everyone else find their first ride ?

j1ffy

Visit site
She has a very short neck but enough to be secure Her walk is mega so big, and I really forgot what hard work young horses were, she is one that is not shy of your leg but as she’s not used to the command you still have to do pony club kicks , she was unsure of a horse box parked at the lower barn , I had my reins too long as I didn’t really want a contact at this stage , so she managed to spin , I persuaded her to go back and finally past it like a good girl but I was sweating lol . How did everyone else find their first ride ?

She looks lovely!

I’ll admit that I’m envious that you’ve been able to ride her. My boy went to Spain just before lockdown to turn him from a feral pony into a Spanish hunk. My three planned trips over there have been cancelled so I’ve had to rely on videos! He’s coming back at the end of October, at which point I’ll sit on him a couple of times then turn him away until Spring. He looks fab in the videos and my friend over there is swooning over him so I know he’s doing well.

ihatework

Visit site
I haven’t even sat on mine yet! I’m too heavy for him in reality but might be naughty and have a very quick sit once he is back in from the field and going again. I just wanted to give him chance to strengthen up a bit before I squish him.

Alibear

Visit site
Ambers been out an about hacking again with company at the trainers and been happy to go first or last and having a bit of a lope and remaining sensible. She's also being worked off the field at the moment just to make sure she's flexible with in/out and work as like most UK winter liveries she'll be out in the day and in an night when she comes home. That home word is the key bit of this , she's coming home on 26th September :)

PatchyBabyHorse

Visit site
Lovely to see everyone’s babies coming on!
Little update on mine.....he’s currently in light work whilst we wait for a new saddle. We went to camp at Somerford a few weeks ago - it was booked with my old horse, but thought I’d take the 4 year old as if nothing else it would be a good education at staying away and seeing new things.
We didn’t jump over 70cm and that only once. Mostly 30/40, and going through water etc, and following others about in a big field. He was really good, really really pleased with him!
Hardly ridden since sadly due to saddle but we’re having our weekly potter this afternoon, going to try out the new VIP pad..!

ETA....borrowed a demonstrator saddle for camp from my very kind saddler - I didn’t take him in the old one!

Attachments

• C2C1ADFC-F495-4DCD-8E70-8789793B39A6.jpeg
    C2C1ADFC-F495-4DCD-8E70-8789793B39A6.jpeg
    22 KB · Views: 33
  • B0FD9643-29FE-4299-BF9A-7E67B6D31381.jpeg
    B0FD9643-29FE-4299-BF9A-7E67B6D31381.jpeg
    25 KB · Views: 35
  • 9CD5B85C-A545-4B6A-934D-084B54FAB18A.jpeg
    9CD5B85C-A545-4B6A-934D-084B54FAB18A.jpeg
    38.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

PatchyBabyHorse

Visit site
Frank is having a large wolf tooth removed today, im hoping hes as good as she was. Hes staying put at the backing yard, and having some time in the field before they start again.,

Hope it went well and that he’s recovering ok!

And finally me on board

LOVE your horse lannerch!! Really nice length of stride. Whats the aim with him?

My boy went to Spain just before lockdown to turn him from a feral pony into a Spanish hunk. My three planned trips over there have been cancelled so I’ve had to rely on videos! He’s coming back at the end of October, at which point I’ll sit on him a couple of times then turn him away until Spring. He looks fab in the videos and my friend over there is swooning over him so I know he’s doing well.

You poor thing I’d be going mad! Not long now :)

PatchyBabyHorse

Visit site
Yes, thank you!

Trying to sit on my hands but you might have just tipped it!

It feels amazing. I put my hand in it then dug hard on it with my knuckles to test it and hardly felt a thing! Then I tried with some coins and a pencil on the table, pad on top and felt all along it, you could hardly feel the lumps were there.
I think it might prove to be one of the few things that’s worth the money..!

Littlebear

Visit site
I thought i would join this, loving seeing everyone elses, slightly early for me but mine is 3 and very babyish still so we have a slow year plus now for him to get going but will try and share some pics if it works! He has learnt to be taken to and from the field - its a spooky old route but he has coped well, popped a rug and saddle on (no girth yet) and had a look at the arena, slowly but surely! :)

Attachments

• nin 1.jpg
    nin 1.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 22
  • nin 2.jpg
    nin 2.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 21

Asha

Visit site
Lovely to see everyone’s babies coming on!
Little update on mine.....he’s currently in light work whilst we wait for a new saddle. We went to camp at Somerford a few weeks ago - it was booked with my old horse, but thought I’d take the 4 year old as if nothing else it would be a good education at staying away and seeing new things.
We didn’t jump over 70cm and that only once. Mostly 30/40, and going through water etc, and following others about in a big field. He was really good, really really pleased with him!
Hardly ridden since sadly due to saddle but we’re having our weekly potter this afternoon, going to try out the new VIP pad..!

ETA....borrowed a demonstrator saddle for camp from my very kind saddler - I didn’t take him in the old one!

what a lovely horse, and what a pop he has in him . Hope you get your saddle sorted so you can crack on.
Apparently Frank was very brave and is now chilling in the field.

Michen

Visit site

Q (not criticism btw I had someone else produce my other youngster for me although am mostly doing my second on my own- I’m very much a novice!). Why the running martingale? Just something that’s automatically put on? I’ve kept mine in a standard as I didn’t want to have the pressure on his baby mouth from the running, but now he’s hunting I’m wondering about switching as, although I know it’s technically fine to, I don’t like the idea of jumping etc with a standard if we do have to jump something.

lannerch

Visit site
Hope it went well and that he’s recovering ok!

LOVE your horse lannerch!! Really nice length of stride. Whats the aim with him?

Hopefully I mean to event her she floats , partly the reason I bought her , apart from the obvious golden colour reason . Thank you . Your baby looks very bold you must be thrilled to ?

lannerch

Visit site
Q (not criticism btw I had someone else produce my other youngster for me although am mostly doing my second on my own- I’m very much a novice!). Why the running martingale? Just something that’s automatically put on? I’ve kept mine in a standard as I didn’t want to have the pressure on his baby mouth from the running, but now he’s hunting I’m wondering about switching as, although I know it’s technically fine to, I don’t like the idea of jumping etc with a standard if we do have to jump something.
I presume it’s been put on just in case , I too have someone else starting so I’m not sure why. We have only ridden her with no contact, loose reins almost so she would have to go extremely high for it to come into play , I liked it because of the neck strap . She has shown no signs of putting her head too high .

palo1

Visit site
Well it's all going swimmingly here lol:D:D Last week we couldn't halt but could do lovely bendy circles. This week circles are out of the question but halt and leg yield are lovely!! Last week left canter was fantastic, this week we can't find it at all but RIGHT canter which was tricky last week is now super duper. We can do very nice little spirals and small circles in walk but large circles in trot result in Mr Wobbly shaped patterns....I am delighted however as we are moving forward all the time AND Alw is starting to offer a very, very nice contact. I haven't asked for it in a definitive way at all but have been quietly waiting for her to offer (I have previously made the mistake of asking too much, too soon) and she is now starting to regularly feel confident and steady in that aspect. Rhythm and balance are improving as well as concentration and confidence. It is a slow old job but I am really delighted tbh. I won't be troubling any competition venues for quite some time but I am so enjoying this part of the journey. I have a lovely trainer who seems to be able to just hit the right spot and we are working well together too to plan and work through exercises to help. It is ALL GOOD :) :) :)

GinaGeo

Visit site
It’s lovely seeing everybody else’s young horses ? My four year old went for his first lesson tonight. He behaved well, did everything asked of him and did it all with a smile on his face. Can’t ask much more at this point ?

Attachments

• B5CBDD6D-5EAD-478B-9A13-488F039C1B6F.jpeg
    B5CBDD6D-5EAD-478B-9A13-488F039C1B6F.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 17

ahml100

Visit site

She looks lovely in the videos! - I could not stop grinning when I sat on my boy for the first time last week....he is only 3 so it was the case of just a little walk and trot up the rode. he is surprisingly well balanced, but like you said, leg was needed to keep him moving in. a straight line.

lannerch

Visit site
She looks lovely in the videos! - I could not stop grinning when I sat on my boy for the first time last week....he is only 3 so it was the case of just a little walk and trot up the rode. he is surprisingly well balanced, but like you said, leg was needed to keep him moving in. a straight line.
I’m still smiling , Layla is 3 also although yesterday I found she now has big girl shoes on , was a star with the farrier to, didn’t try and ride her as I think she deserves the weekend off , but did give her a groom and pamper, she’s weird she won’t let me pull her mane ( can’t blame her ) but will let me pull her tail , she even holds it up for me!
plan is to do mainly little short hacks . I’m lucky my livery is on a farm ride and also by quiet roads so she will get a wealth of experience, pords whose bringing her on is brilliant, so she will stay in schooling livery , if she needs a break she will get one , she is not doing any circles or serious work for at least a year though.