Backing 3/4yr olds

ahml100

Visit site
So Jamie was collected today.
He was super for a little hack and now will spend the winter with the herd before returning to my trainer for a couple of weeks as a four year old.

The second picture is his holiday home!

Attachments

• D933273F-A5CF-453D-B162-3117444B1F75.jpeg
    D933273F-A5CF-453D-B162-3117444B1F75.jpeg
    26.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 40FFA372-04CD-48E9-84A4-3223979AD794.jpeg
    40FFA372-04CD-48E9-84A4-3223979AD794.jpeg
    11.6 KB · Views: 22

palo1

Visit site
Oh the perils of Intro B...!! So my sweet kind mare who has looked after me so very nicely during the starting and riding away process was let down today.

We have done cantering in all manner of exciting places (open hill with feral ponies assisting etc) and jumping natural obstacles including water but clearly trotting round the paddock has more danger involved. As I was pootling around at home today using Intro B as a basis for schooling and in preparation for a trip to the local competition centre later this autumn I lost my thread as it were. I dragged out my double A4 sheet of typed exercises and began to study. Unfortunately I had not introduced Alw to the notion of flapping paper around her ears so she set off across the paddock at a very brisk trot. At that point I decided to apply both hands to the reins but still clutching my notes...Poor Alw now had the horrid flappy, rustling thing actually touching her neck!!!! it didn't end well. The more I tried to wrestle the paper and the reins the more Alw leapt around until finally my saddle slipped and I bit dirt. I am glad to say that I wasn't hurt other than a large bruise on my leg which the dog checked carefully. Alw had trotted back to the gate to discuss this new training development with her mates but happily continued with her work once I dusted myself off and the other horses had had a good laugh at my expense.

Gawd I feel stooopid!! She is a 4 year old Welshie bless her and I really should have thought about bits of rustly paper but lesson learnt. I have been there before actually with a similar map related incident with my older horse. No fool like an old fool and all that...

lannerch

Visit site
Lol I now have a thelwell type vision of the episode , you tell it so well palo I particularly like the way she discussed the training development with her mates , glad your not hurt and she’s fine to , horses are certainly great levellers, particularly baby ones! .

Last edited:

daffy44

Visit site
Palo1, one of those doh! moments, we all have them!! Taking jackets off is often another ?

I always prepare my youngsters for the jacket removal, by standing on steps at almost rider height next to them, and noisily taking my jacket on and off, dropping it on the floor, dropping it on the horse etc, then I feel safer when the time comes to do it on the horse. But I've never thought to prepare them for paper! Maybe I'm missing a trick..... Palo, I'm very glad you are ok.

palo1

Visit site
Thank you - absolutely not harmed but pride dented and I can't believe I took my youngster so much for granted! :rolleyes: It's, um, helpful to get a wake-up call though and it was really funny. :p One minute we were trundling around in gentle studious calm, the next I was desperately trying to engage my brain to work out what on earth was the problem - I only realised once I was on the ground still clutching my notes!! Alw is certainly a bit more athletic than I bargained for, bless her. :) :) She was still very suspicious of the 'training notes' when I tried to show them to her later...As for jacket removal etc I have practised very loud unzipping etc but this does remind me to think about what she sees and hears a bit more. :) When I started my older horse I managed the excellent riding feat of falling off in halt. Horse was absolutely stood still when something really spooked him - cue 'epic fail mum!!' moment from my children! Plenty of doh! moments here...

Asha

Visit site
Glad you are ok palo1 , it’s so easy to forget the little things .

A little update on Frank , after having his wolf tooth out and a week in the field he’s now back in the classroom . The chap backing him is delighted, he’s really taking the bit now , he’s moving so much more freely all over . I keep toying with the idea of selling him straight away , but after seeing the clip he’s definitely had a reprieve . E8DE89B9-23BF-47DB-B8BB-1223E3E8047B.jpeg

lannerch

Visit site
She looks great Lannerch, so well balanced and a lovely mover!
Thanks jiffy I’m so excited and she finds it all so easy. It’s always such a gamble isn’t it buying an unbroken 2yo Or even 3yo from stud, and this one is my dream horse colour wise , but what I hoped was not at the expense of scope , temperament, as like a lot of us here I also hope to event her at least to 100 level, ( I’m old so maybe no higher we will see) and this one looks like she will deliver.
We need to keep this thread going over the next few years would be lovely to compare notes all the way through.

Northern

Visit site
Bellas mouth is all healed up from her wolf tooth removal :) Her new bridle arrived last week so today she experienced a bridle and bit in her mouth for the first time! Did brilliantly and even went on a little walk with her grown up tack on.
She's such a lovely youngster, is really enjoying learning about the world. A few more bridlings and I will start long reining her with the bridle on. Fun times!

Also bringing my TB mare back was just the ticket to her fence walking tendencies. She's completely settled with a buddy in with her, and I am now working on removing said TB for longer times so she is in by herself for a period of time. Today she walked a few times but then wandered off to graze, which is great! Growing up.

Attachments

• B1.jpg
    B1.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 13

TheMule

Visit site
Bellas mouth is all healed up from her wolf tooth removal :) Her new bridle arrived last week so today she experienced a bridle and bit in her mouth for the first time! Did brilliantly and even went on a little walk with her grown up tack on.
She's such a lovely youngster, is really enjoying learning about the world. A few more bridlings and I will start long reining her with the bridle on. Fun times!

Also bringing my TB mare back was just the ticket to her fence walking tendencies. She's completely settled with a buddy in with her, and I am now working on removing said TB for longer times so she is in by herself for a period of time. Today she walked a few times but then wandered off to graze, which is great! Growing up.

So pretty! Well done, now all the fun starts

j1ffy

Visit site
My babies had a photo shoot this weekend and I've promised myself I now won’t look at them again until next April. They were super cute and both had really come on in their loose jumping- this is the 4th time they've done it and now both have really got the hang.

View attachment 56008
View attachment 56009

Lovely photos! They both have a fab jumping technique and your mule is sooo shiny!

daffy44

Visit site
Fabulous photos TM!! Very shiny mule, and what a brilliant technique over a fence from both of yours, how exciting!

I finally started doing something with my three yr old, and he is just the easiest horse ever, saddle, roller, bridle, lunging, long reins, poles all sorted, and I've done a bit of leaning over and foot in the stirrup etc, and he has taken everything in his stride. He has always had an exceptional brain, now I'm just hoping he maintains his lovely attitude once under saddle.

Bingo long reining.jpg

Asha

Visit site
Fabulous photos TM!! Very shiny mule, and what a brilliant technique over a fence from both of yours, how exciting!

I finally started doing something with my three yr old, and he is just the easiest horse ever, saddle, roller, bridle, lunging, long reins, poles all sorted, and I've done a bit of leaning over and foot in the stirrup etc, and he has taken everything in his stride. He has always had an exceptional brain, now I'm just hoping he maintains his lovely attitude once under saddle.

View attachment 56046

It makes all the expense and time waiting worthwhile when they show they have a good brain . Exciting daffy , he looks like he has a shine as good as TMs mule ?

Fab technique over those jumps TM , can’t wait to see what they both do under saddle .

Great day for us too . Franks had his first hack at home . He went passed cars , tractors , loose dogs , and road work signs ( he did have a wiggle at the blue plastic fencing barrier ?) the only thing that made him stop and think was a big boulder . But with a pat and a scratch he went passed . Super proud of him , he genuinely enjoyed it and strode out , even taking the lead . ( forgive the no hiviz on Frank , we where so excited we forgot , but I was on foot and wore it )
3 years and 7months between the photos ?02420AB8-05FD-4696-85C3-F44240F73986.jpeg4BD2BBA5-E123-46F0-BF45-E0EBB8E450D8.jpeg

lannerch

Visit site
My babies had a photo shoot this weekend and I've promised myself I now won’t look at them again until next April. They were super cute and both had really come on in their loose jumping- this is the 4th time they've done it and now both have really got the hang.

View attachment 56008
View attachment 56009
? wow just wow both of them !

lannerch

Visit site
It makes all the expense and time waiting worthwhile when they show they have a good brain . Exciting daffy , he looks like he has a shine as good as TMs mule ?

Fab technique over those jumps TM , can’t wait to see what they both do under saddle .

Great day for us too . Franks had his first hack at home . He went passed cars , tractors , loose dogs , and road work signs ( he did have a wiggle at the blue plastic fencing barrier ?) the only thing that made him stop and think was a big boulder . But with a pat and a scratch he went passed . Super proud of him , he genuinely enjoyed it and strode out , even taking the lead . ( forgive the no hiviz on Frank , we where so excited we forgot , but I was on foot and wore it )
3 years and 7months between the photos ?View attachment 56065View attachment 56066
What a sweetheart then and now , love him

lannerch

Visit site

3 years and 7months between the photos ?View attachment 56065View attachment 56066
My version of your photo although I’m the one on the chestnut

Attachments

• 54D7CED2-20D2-4724-886E-2F2067B1082A.jpeg
    54D7CED2-20D2-4724-886E-2F2067B1082A.jpeg
    30 KB · Views: 28

Asha

Visit site
My version of your photo although I’m the one on the chestnut

Thanks lannerch , he has always been a lovely boy . Genuinely kind and easy to be around ( had the odd plonker moment , but don’t they all !)
Lovely photo of you and your youngster, I wish I was good enough to do this stage , but I’m not . Hats off to you all for doing your own .
Frank will have a pro on him , he’s the only one that I don’t think I will ever get to sit on . Too much timber on me at the minute for a light weight WB ! But if he continues being so good , maybe it’s a reason to loose a bit of weight .

lannerch

Visit site
Thanks lannerch , he has always been a lovely boy . Genuinely kind and easy to be around ( had the odd plonker moment , but don’t they all !)
Lovely photo of you and your youngster, I wish I was good enough to do this stage , but I’m not . Hats off to you all for doing your own .
Frank will have a pro on him , he’s the only one that I don’t think I will ever get to sit on . Too much timber on me at the minute for a light weight WB ! But if he continues being so good , maybe it’s a reason to loose a bit of weight .
I haven’t done her on my own not this time, the guy who runs my livery yard is also a very experienced professional, so he has done all the work and he’s the one on her on the photo, I’m riding my friends older experienced horse in this photo . I did loose a stone in weight though so I can ride her with no guilt lol

Asha

Visit site
I haven’t done her on my own not this time, the guy who runs my livery yard is also a very experienced professional, so he has done all the work and he’s the one on her on the photo, I’m riding my friends older experienced horse in this photo . I did loose a stone in weight though so I can ride her with no guilt lol

Massive well done for that, i really need a kick up the backside to do something. A stone would make a massive difference for me. i just need to find the motivation. it doesnt help as my husband constantly buys me wine and goodies. Hes a feeder !!

Alibear

Visit site
Amber came home on Saturday, this is her first time away from the stud where she was foaled but she seems to have settled in like a seasoned pro.
She squeaked once on arrival and since then has been fine, she's sussed out that chaff is edible , whereas on the first day she'd left it all to one side of her feed bowl, having wolfed down her normal mix :D
She's lying down in the straw bed no concerns there and after an initial pick at it, is sticking to her hay now. Already in the staffs good books for being calm to lead in and out to the field, we need to work on standing in stable as she's a bit jiffly and bargy but that's already improving; and she wasn't like that at the stud so I think its one area where we can see the change of home has had an effect.
We did a few short in-hand walks round the indoor to start with, and then yesterday she was so settled I hopped on board for a 5 mins and she was really good walked a few circles pat and hopped off.
I'll keep working on that over the next few days and I have a lesson booked on Sunday, what or how much we'll do I don't know but it will keep me on track and I'm chuffed to already be on board.
She's a very calm mare and taking everything in her stride.

Last Thursday we had our first hack out together whilst she was still at the stud and she was very well behaved, managed walk, jog and lope and she wasn't bothered by the tractors and machinery in the same fields or the wildlife or other horses in the paddocks. She was alert and interested in seeing everything but calm and responsive with it.

I think I might have another good one here :)

ihatework

Visit site
That’s good to hear Alibear, is this the one you showed me as a 3yo (memory like a sieve), chestnut? If so I remember liking her quite a lot