Backing 3/4yr olds

TheMule

Visit site
Layla had her first trip to an arena away from home yesterday, she started of a bit backward but soon gained in confidence, jumping everything including the water trays . I rushed over from work to take this footage .
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

What a sweet attitude she has!

TheMule

Visit site
Isaac had a month off pretty much after his trip to camp at Vale View. He's been back in work for two weeks now and had his first little jump back last night. He'd still quite like to utilise a bit too much speed at times, but he's getting a bit quicker and smarter with his footwork. We are booked into three different SJ/XC lessons with three different coaches this month, so I'm hoping to add lots of ideas to the toolbox as to how to continue to improve the jumping basics...

He's such a nice boy, think you've found a really good one there ⭐

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Trundling along here. We're not doing anything remotely interesting but this thread will make me carry on doing bits. With no facilities other than a shed and a steep field it's very easy to just let time pass and not do anything ;) I'd like to try and get him at least leaned over this autumn and then swap him over to the yard next year to carry on in the spring, so it's keeping me accountable ?

He's really happy with the bit but now wants to put everything in his mouth. In some ways that's quite useful because it does at least mean he is paying attention to things but I'm hoping he gets over that before too long! anyway, not startled by the saddle pad any more, and roller OK too.

233552848_4580929878585153_7443741870417839184_n.jpg

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Well Isaac had a nice return to going out and about with a jumping lesson yesterday:

More importantly, he also behaved impeccably. I took both horses, so I was really pleased that he came out, let me tack up and mount whilst ignoring his friend on the lorry. Was calm and sensible in his lesson, and then got back on the lorry when I pulled the other horse off, then stood on lorry eating hay without making a fuss while I jumped the other horse. It was *so much* less dramatic than I thought it might be!

And whilst some of his jumping in the round we did at the end was a bit hairy, his reaction to spooky fillers was still to do his best to get over them -and somehow leave them up. So gold stars all round really!

milliepops

Visit site
Isaac looking fab there RF :)

I am finding this thread so useful for a little kick up the bum, I've been stuck in retrainers dressage land for so long it's fab to see some really lovely examples of young horses progressing in other areas.

Ouch05

Visit site
had a very stressful time with Edward. We had to move with work from the South East to Lincoln the boys although they travelled well become clingy, something that they have never done before. Even my old boy would gallop around the field when Edward was removed. A month after, a lot of calmer and hair loss by me and they are back to normal.

Ridden wise something clicked with Edward two weeks ago with the flat work and although the canter work is very very rough in the school with struggling with one lead the W/T are beautiful. No issues with cantering on hacks which he has been enjoying since we moved and will hack on his own but not gone far if i'm honest. But did go to his second away dressage yesterday and once again he was super.

This week I am looking at starting to jump him, he is not quite 5 yet and really wanted to wait until I thought he was strong enough now I think he is ready to pop a small pole or two.

Edward Aug 21.jpg

TheMule

Visit site
Well Isaac had a nice return to going out and about with a jumping lesson yesterday:

More importantly, he also behaved impeccably. I took both horses, so I was really pleased that he came out, let me tack up and mount whilst ignoring his friend on the lorry. Was calm and sensible in his lesson, and then got back on the lorry when I pulled the other horse off, then stood on lorry eating hay without making a fuss while I jumped the other horse. It was *so much* less dramatic than I thought it might be!

And whilst some of his jumping in the round we did at the end was a bit hairy, his reaction to spooky fillers was still to do his best to get over them -and somehow leave them up. So gold stars all round really!

Love that he can just travel out with the other horse and not put up a fuss. I don’t think we'll ever achieve that ?
What a good boy!

TheMule

Visit site
had a very stressful time with Edward. We had to move with work from the South East to Lincoln the boys although they travelled well become clingy, something that they have never done before. Even my old boy would gallop around the field when Edward was removed. A month after, a lot of calmer and hair loss by me and they are back to normal.

Ridden wise something clicked with Edward two weeks ago with the flat work and although the canter work is very very rough in the school with struggling with one lead the W/T are beautiful. No issues with cantering on hacks which he has been enjoying since we moved and will hack on his own but not gone far if i'm honest. But did go to his second away dressage yesterday and once again he was super.

This week I am looking at starting to jump him, he is not quite 5 yet and really wanted to wait until I thought he was strong enough now I think he is ready to pop a small pole or two.

View attachment 77413

Well done for getting through the stress, he's looking super!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Love that he can just travel out with the other horse and not put up a fuss. I don’t think we'll ever achieve that ?
What a good boy!

It probably helps that i'm on a big livery yard, so while they are stabled opposite each other, and go in the field together, they aren't only attached to each other. Although I also think Isaac is just quite an independent character - he's been unbothered by hacking out alone and being in the lead since he started really.

lannerch

Visit site
It probably helps that i'm on a big livery yard, so while they are stabled opposite each other, and go in the field together, they aren't only attached to each other. Although I also think Isaac is just quite an independent character - he's been unbothered by hacking out alone and being in the lead since he started really.
Layla is the same , you can take her on an outing in the box or trailer with one other or even a a group and she’s happy to do her own thing , she is also on a big livery yard, and very independent.

You must be over the moon with Isaac RachelFerd he took everything in his strides and jumped some very scary fillers too , looks very scopey as well. ❤️

daffy44

Visit site
I love seeing how all the youngsters are progressing! Isaac has a lovely attitude to his jumping and a very nice technique to go with it.
MP, I love that faffing about stage with 3yr olds, no pressure, all fun, and they are like little jolly sponges at that age.

I took my 4yr old out for his first lesson yesterday, somewhat earlier than I thought was ideal, but the lesson was already booked, and my older horse has had a minor knock, so he is not up for a lesson at the moment, so I decided to chuck the youngster in at the deep end. He is very easy to do, no bother on the lorry, happy to stand and eat and watch the world go by, tacking up, getting on etc all no bother, so he was feeling very grown up until he saw my trainers birds dotting about and this caused his brain to fall out of his ears a bit! But whilst they caused one end of the arena to be terrifying, he did some very nice work in the other end and we eventually got him to put his brave pants on and go all round the arena on both reins. So a successful outing and I think one where he grew up a lot, my trainer really liked him too, which is lovely, and the horse has spent most of today flat out snoring in the field!

windand rain

Visit site
You can take Kitten anywhere on her own or with others and she is great the 25 year old on the other hand has to go alone as even if you pick up a strange horse on the way it becomes her best buddy and she behaves like a 3 year old badly behaved colt if it is taken away from her

milliepops

Visit site
I took my 4yr old out for his first lesson yesterday, somewhat earlier than I thought was ideal, but the lesson was already booked, and my older horse has had a minor knock, so he is not up for a lesson at the moment, so I decided to chuck the youngster in at the deep end. He is very easy to do, no bother on the lorry, happy to stand and eat and watch the world go by, tacking up, getting on etc all no bother, so he was feeling very grown up until he saw my trainers birds dotting about and this caused his brain to fall out of his ears a bit! But whilst they caused one end of the arena to be terrifying, he did some very nice work in the other end and we eventually got him to put his brave pants on and go all round the arena on both reins. So a successful outing and I think one where he grew up a lot, my trainer really liked him too, which is lovely, and the horse has spent most of today flat out snoring in the field!
I bet he is shattered today ? ?

MinKo

Visit site
I hope Kitten is good and grows out of it she is inclined to strop by bouncing off her front leg not rearing as such more hopping up
Mine had that trick and decked me a few times doing it, she has grown out of it now and is now 14 years old and only ever does it when turned out after being clipped.

lannerch

Visit site
Yup, this is how he has spent his day
Lol you can always tell if layla has been for a party to as she also is flat out usually just the evening snoozing as well. At least it means they both know how to totally relax and chill ❤️

I love reading the updates this thread really helps to compare and contrast and reassure that me that I am doing the right thing I always worry I am doing too much, too little too soon, too late etc.

Marigold4

Visit site
Isaac had a month off pretty much after his trip to camp at Vale View. He's been back in work for two weeks now and had his first little jump back last night. He'd still quite like to utilise a bit too much speed at times, but he's getting a bit quicker and smarter with his footwork. We are booked into three different SJ/XC lessons with three different coaches this month, so I'm hoping to add lots of ideas to the toolbox as to how to continue to improve the jumping basics...

Nice to see someone getting off their horse's back - especially with a young horse

Marigold4

Visit site
Mine had that trick and decked me a few times doing it, she has grown out of it now and is now 14 years old and only ever does it when turned out after being clipped.

My young horse does the front leg thing too when having a strop - have you worked out any tips for dealing with it??

TheMule

Visit site
Hit another mile(mule?)stone today as I had help and was feeling a little reckless so I jumped the mule! She hasn’t actually worked in the arena for a couple of months but she has been going forwards so sweetly out hacking I thought it would translate back into the enclosed space and I was right- she wasn’t quite the natural that Nova is, but she popped a few fences very sweetly
I will repeat tomorrow and once more next week then leave it for this year.

C4ADBC82-0E86-4DC0-A42F-92347E926384.jpeg

GG13

Visit site
Lovely to read everyone’s updates and hear how all your lovely youngsters are coming along.
Life has been really busy the last few weeks so I haven’t been doing as much as I feel I should. I’ve just about been keeping my 4yo ticking over with hacking and a couple of schooling sessions. Despite the lack of any proper work she is feeling stronger so Im looking forward to be able to crack on a bit in the autumn.
I really want to get her out xc before next year so hoping I can fit that in next month!

MarvelVillis

Visit site
Love reading everyone's updates :) my boy has been out hacking a few times a week since being backed in May and he's been a total superstar. I've been taking him out by himself a few times with my sister riding her bike infront which he has been really good about. We have to cross a busy A road flyover in order to get to the good hacking and he now does it quite happily which is a relief. He turned 4 at the beginning of this month, and it's amazing how well behaved he is compared to some of the older naughtier liveries that we ride out with... long may it continue! I've started doing some very basic school work with him once a week (20 mins at a time). Yesterday we walked over a coloured pole on the ground for the first time (which he managed to stand on and roll!) but he was quite happily going over it towards the end of the session. Really happy with how well he's looking and how well he's behaving (excuse the ears, he's far from grumpy!)
new.jpg

TheMule

Visit site
Love reading everyone's updates :) my boy has been out hacking a few times a week since being backed in May and he's been a total superstar. I've been taking him out by himself a few times with my sister riding her bike infront which he has been really good about. We have to cross a busy A road flyover in order to get to the good hacking and he now does it quite happily which is a relief. He turned 4 at the beginning of this month, and it's amazing how well behaved he is compared to some of the older naughtier liveries that we ride out with... long may it continue! I've started doing some very basic school work with him once a week (20 mins at a time). Yesterday we walked over a coloured pole on the ground for the first time (which he managed to stand on and roll!) but he was quite happily going over it towards the end of the session. Really happy with how well he's looking and how well he's behaving (excuse the ears, he's far from grumpy!)
View attachment 77651

He's a lovely looking horse and sounds like you're producing him really nicely- keeping everything low stress tends to produce low stress horses IMO!

TheMule

Visit site
Nova was super today- he was a bit lit up at the start as there was a lot more going on than he has seen before, but he has a really good brain and settled into his job well. We kept it small but he popped all the fillers and the brush skinny with no fuss. I just love his attitude and he has all the jump in there to jump bigger fences next year and beyond ?

windand rain

Visit site
Kitten had a grump about wearing her saddle for the first time but soon settled and was lead out wearing it while the 4 year old had a short Hack

milliepops

Visit site
Nova looking fab TM! You must be so excited for the future with him.

Dug out a saddle for Frankel to try on. He had forgotten what saddle pads were but wasn't remotely bothered about wearing a saddle, we went for a little stroll and then he had a nap, haha. When we were starting loading practice i had been a bit worried that he was going to be a bit.... um... "slow" :oops: but he is really enjoying his little lessons. I think he'd just got in a habit of being switched off. Need to figure out how we can introduce steering next I think. Hera thinks it's well boring being tied up in the shelter while F does his thing but it's good practice for her, otherwise she just has to get involved :p

236128874_4599701366708004_5116646017327899274_n.jpg

TheMule

Visit site
Nova looking fab TM! You must be so excited for the future with him.

Dug out a saddle for Frankel to try on. He had forgotten what saddle pads were but wasn't remotely bothered about wearing a saddle, we went for a little stroll and then he had a nap, haha. When we were starting loading practice i had been a bit worried that he was going to be a bit.... um... "slow" :oops: but he is really enjoying his little lessons. I think he'd just got in a habit of being switched off. Need to figure out how we can introduce steering next I think. Hera thinks it's well boring being tied up in the shelter while F does his thing but it's good practice for her, otherwise she just has to get involved :p

236128874_4599701366708004_5116646017327899274_n.jpg

I love his ears! They almost rival my mule’s ?