Backing 3/4yr olds

lannerch

Visit site
Nova was super today- he was a bit lit up at the start as there was a lot more going on than he has seen before, but he has a really good brain and settled into his job well. We kept it small but he popped all the fillers and the brush skinny with no fuss. I just love his attitude and he has all the jump in there to jump bigger fences next year and beyond ?
Looking fabulous mule very forward and flowing looking very exciting for the future ❤️

Northern

Visit site
Well we're in lockdown again, so what better time to get on the baby!
(Before anyone questions, essential horse care and exercise is allowed, there is very little chance of cross transmission with how my yard is set up).
B has had 8 weeks off now to grow up over the rainy winter. I just decided yesterday to hop on and see what I had.
Well I was pleasantly surprised! Stood politely at the mounting block and seemed keen to explore. Today I hopped on and went solo down a lane, met some others coming the other way and tagged along. She was the sensible one amongst slightly wind crazed horses in the paddocks either side :)
Going to take her into the school for some basic schooling again soon, see what she's remembered. Then out and about a bit. I think she'll like going out and seeing the world, she's a bold little big thing.

Little big baby is growing up :) Just over 3.5 years now. Looking almost svelte now, she's no longer rugged in the cold in the effort to shiver off some kilos before the spring grass really kicks in.

Attachments

• Baug.JPG
    Baug.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 8

j1ffy

Visit site
I feel very behind watching all these lovely mature-looking jumping videos! The 4yos are all looking fantastic and it's great to see Frankel getting going MP.

Chilli's had an educational couple of weeks, with his first trip out for a hack last week. We just went 15 mins down the road for a hack with my semi-retired boy Indio and his loaner, my other old boy Pocholo and his loaner joined us too so Chilli had two wingmen! Not that he needed them as he was very calm and even did his first water crossing with very little hesitation.

4ab7ebcc-ea29-4eb8-8eeb-82e8e3739235.jpg

Yesterday a friend came to ride him, which is his first new rider this year. I hopped on first and he was his usual exuberant self, including a rather lively canter and a slight over-responsiveness when I asked him to turn, which almost resulted in his first jump being over a 90cm fence with scary filler. He did prick his ears and lock on before I said 'no' so hopefully we'll have our own jumping video in the next couple of months!

We've not spent a lot of time in the school and our focus is on slowing down, lowering the neck and edging his nose out as he naturally wants to go more up and round. As I was only warming him up I didn't get to where I'd like him to be, but I was pleased that his trot was steadier from the get-go (unlike the canter!) and it felt like he would be willing so stretch with just a little more work. Seeing her on him also reinforced that his saddle isn't great for rider position - she's very accomplished but also went into a chair seat.

Friend hopped on and had a big grin, he really is a lot of fun! He did go back to his speedy trot but it was lovely seeing him open up with someone else on him, there's a lovely big trot in there once he learns to use his back properly.

A little video from our warm-up trot:

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
I feel very behind watching all these lovely mature-looking jumping videos! The 4yos are all looking fantastic and it's great to see Frankel getting going MP.

Chilli's had an educational couple of weeks, with his first trip out for a hack last week. We just went 15 mins down the road for a hack with my semi-retired boy Indio and his loaner, my other old boy Pocholo and his loaner joined us too so Chilli had two wingmen! Not that he needed them as he was very calm and even did his first water crossing with very little hesitation.

View attachment 77821

Yesterday a friend came to ride him, which is his first new rider this year. I hopped on first and he was his usual exuberant self, including a rather lively canter and a slight over-responsiveness when I asked him to turn, which almost resulted in his first jump being over a 90cm fence with scary filler. He did prick his ears and lock on before I said 'no' so hopefully we'll have our own jumping video in the next couple of months!

We've not spent a lot of time in the school and our focus is on slowing down, lowering the neck and edging his nose out as he naturally wants to go more up and round. As I was only warming him up I didn't get to where I'd like him to be, but I was pleased that his trot was steadier from the get-go (unlike the canter!) and it felt like he would be willing so stretch with just a little more work. Seeing her on him also reinforced that his saddle isn't great for rider position - she's very accomplished but also went into a chair seat.

Friend hopped on and had a big grin, he really is a lot of fun! He did go back to his speedy trot but it was lovely seeing him open up with someone else on him, there's a lovely big trot in there once he learns to use his back properly.

He looks like he has got so much natural energy just ready to be deployed - in a good way!

j1ffy

Visit site
He looks like he has got so much natural energy just ready to be deployed - in a good way!

That's exactly how he feels - it's very exciting to have such a bold, self-motivated young horse having had a couple that require a lot more convincing!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
That's exactly how he feels - it's very exciting to have such a bold, self-motivated young horse having had a couple that require a lot more convincing!

That's the ultimate goal isn't it - producing a horse who is a good citizen and who is well conditioned to always saying 'yes' when you ask them to do something/anything. Certainly applies to a XC course, but fairly sure it also applies to the driving horse or the dressage horse too. Being able to say 'yes' is also predicated on them being attuned to listen to what we're asking and to have the confidence to supply an answer.

Most of the issues I have with Simon (the older horse) are based around him having been able to say 'no' a lot before I got him. I've been trying to turn him into a yes person, but he's always got that part of him that knows that 'no' has been an option in the distant past. I'm hoping that Isaac's early education can have a bit of a better basis. Or at least, am trying!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I also have one that has a strong history in saying NO and everything I have done with my 2 young ones so far has been really focused on trying to set them up so that "yes" is easy! Having a No-er is bleddy hard going.

j1ffy

Visit site
That's the ultimate goal isn't it - producing a horse who is a good citizen and who is well conditioned to always saying 'yes' when you ask them to do something/anything. Certainly applies to a XC course, but fairly sure it also applies to the driving horse or the dressage horse too. Being able to say 'yes' is also predicated on them being attuned to listen to what we're asking and to have the confidence to supply an answer.

Very well put, and I would say it applies to any horse in just about any career. Dressage - definitely required, particularly once you move to Ele and above (and reading MP's FB posts about the adjustability and responsiveness required at FEI levels has been enlightening). But even hacking - the ability to say 'yes' to go past a scary object or move out of the way of a car or open a gate. If you have a 'yes' horse you'll always find them a good home if circumstances change, and that's the best gift you can give them.

Most of the issues I have with Simon (the older horse) are based around him having been able to say 'no' a lot before I got him. I've been trying to turn him into a yes person, but he's always got that part of him that knows that 'no' has been an option in the distant past. I'm hoping that Isaac's early education can have a bit of a better basis. Or at least, am trying!

I would say that you are succeeding with Isaac!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Very well put, and I would say it applies to any horse in just about any career. Dressage - definitely required, particularly once you move to Ele and above (and reading MP's FB posts about the adjustability and responsiveness required at FEI levels has been enlightening). But even hacking - the ability to say 'yes' to go past a scary object or move out of the way of a car or open a gate. If you have a 'yes' horse you'll always find them a good home if circumstances change, and that's the best gift you can give them.

I would say that you are succeeding with Isaac!

More musings on this though - it is also about us as riders/trainers always asking the appropriate questions though isn't it. Simon probably started saying 'no' when he was in training as a racehorse, was asked to go faster up the gallops - and had to say no, because he isn't very fast and couldn't keep up with his work partners. Then he started saying no to going onto the gallops, and saying no to being a lead horse, and then 'no' became a default.

j1ffy

Visit site
More musings on this though - it is also about us as riders/trainers always asking the appropriate questions though isn't it. Simon probably started saying 'no' when he was in training as a racehorse, was asked to go faster up the gallops - and had to say no, because he isn't very fast and couldn't keep up with his work partners. Then he started saying no to going onto the gallops, and saying no to being a lead horse, and then 'no' became a default.

The art is in knowing when a horse would benefit from being gently pushed to try. Hopefully by building trust brick by brick they’ll stay on the right side of the line…

TheMule

Visit site

View attachment 77821

He is cracking- so much quality and lots to like already for his stage of training

TheMule

Visit site

I totally agree and it's why I only want to breed/ produce my own horses. I haven’t bought a produced horse since my first one aged 15- I have made lots of mistakes(!) but feel in a good place now to develop them how to be well rounded, straightforward horses (and mules!)

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Haven't really done much with F at the moment. She had still looked quite immature, but now looks a bit more adult! All we have been doing is mooching about with the saddle on in vague circles and learning to move away from pressure.

Here is a recent pic! With my other mare N looking thrilled in the background ?.

FB_IMG_1629146622263.jpg

j1ffy

Visit site
SS - she's looking lovely!

Chilli and I had an interesting evening. I'd had a busy day at work (and also bad PMS! Never a good combo) so decided a short hack around the farm tracks was in order, as anything more demanding would be bound to end badly - short temper + schooling is not good for building the 'yes' response in my experience!

It was lovely to spend some time grooming and I started tacking up. He had a girth that tended to crease so I have changed it for a soft Stuebben string girth, but Chilli still gets a bit tense when I do it up. I wasn't on-the-ball enough and he managed to nip me hard on the arm, I have a lovely bruise developing despite having a jumper on at the time. He got a telling off and was a tad quiet for all of 30 seconds before being back to his usual demanding, cuddly self.

Hopped on and he was very buzzy. I don't want him to think that he can canter every time we are on a grass track so I kept him to walk with just a trot around a wooded area. He thought that was very fun so did some trot-on-the-spot once we came back to walk. I decided to use that so sat up, clicked and we had a lovely soft, rhythmical baby piaffe for a few steps. One to put away for a couple of years but it's good to know it's there.

Carried on and we had our first buck ? Chilli wanted to canter, I said no, he did a baby buck. He got a little kick and a 'no' and we carried on with no issues. Bless him - I think he needs a good canter somewhere but the short canters we've got on the farm aren't going to do the trick! A longer hack to a good grassy hill may be in order soon ?

shortstuff99

Visit site
SS - she's looking lovely!

Chilli and I had an interesting evening. I'd had a busy day at work (and also bad PMS! Never a good combo) so decided a short hack around the farm tracks was in order, as anything more demanding would be bound to end badly - short temper + schooling is not good for building the 'yes' response in my experience!

It was lovely to spend some time grooming and I started tacking up. He had a girth that tended to crease so I have changed it for a soft Stuebben string girth, but Chilli still gets a bit tense when I do it up. I wasn't on-the-ball enough and he managed to nip me hard on the arm, I have a lovely bruise developing despite having a jumper on at the time. He got a telling off and was a tad quiet for all of 30 seconds before being back to his usual demanding, cuddly self.

Hopped on and he was very buzzy. I don't want him to think that he can canter every time we are on a grass track so I kept him to walk with just a trot around a wooded area. He thought that was very fun so did some trot-on-the-spot once we came back to walk. I decided to use that so sat up, clicked and we had a lovely soft, rhythmical baby piaffe for a few steps. One to put away for a couple of years but it's good to know it's there.

Carried on and we had our first buck ? Chilli wanted to canter, I said no, he did a baby buck. He got a little kick and a 'no' and we carried on with no issues. Bless him - I think he needs a good canter somewhere but the short canters we've got on the farm aren't going to do the trick! A longer hack to a good grassy hill may be in order soon ?
Ouch! I'm not sure about yours but my Spanish seem to have quite thin skin and I have to be very careful about not pinching!

At least you know he is reasonable when you say no and I'm sure he will love a good canter!

j1ffy

Visit site
Ouch! I'm not sure about yours but my Spanish seem to have quite thin skin and I have to be very careful about not pinching!

At least you know he is reasonable when you say no and I'm sure he will love a good canter!

Thankfully mine are all pretty thick-skinned! Maybe it's because they're boys ?. Even horse flies don't bother them too much, though they do appreciate me swatting them.

He'd never obviously objected to the old girth but was always tense when I went to do it up (and tried to bite it once or twice), but once it was on he was fine. The Stuebben string girth is the only one that didn't rub my other PRE when we were doing a lot of long-distance rides, it's lovely and soft and the saddle feels more secure too. Hopefully Chilli will stop investigating it with his teeth once he's used to it...

My only worry about a good canter is his strength / fitness - I don't want to risk his legs with him getting too strong and fast. I'm probably just being paranoid!

shortstuff99

Visit site
Thankfully mine are all pretty thick-skinned! Maybe it's because they're boys ?. Even horse flies don't bother them too much, though they do appreciate me swatting them.

He'd never obviously objected to the old girth but was always tense when I went to do it up (and tried to bite it once or twice), but once it was on he was fine. The Stuebben string girth is the only one that didn't rub my other PRE when we were doing a lot of long-distance rides, it's lovely and soft and the saddle feels more secure too. Hopefully Chilli will stop investigating it with his teeth once he's used to it...

My only worry about a good canter is his strength / fitness - I don't want to risk his legs with him getting too strong and fast. I'm probably just being paranoid!
I would give it a go, no worse then what they do in field ?

j1ffy

Visit site
I would give it a go, no worse then what they do in field ?

Lol - good point. And judging by the muddy splash marks he's often covered in (if I forged Pollock's signature I could sell him as a work of art), he's clearly not fussed about going through mud and water so a level grass / all-weather track wouldn't be an issue!

TheMule

Visit site
Nova had another useful overnight trip. We went xc schooling yesterday and the little monster was very fresh and excited- nearly had me off in the car park with a little outburst ? But he was pretty good at the fences- straight in the water and over the ditch, had a couple of wobbles when our lead horse 'forgot' his International eventing career and slammed on the brakes ? so we had to ditch him and go it alone, and he finished confident around a little course. He then did a couple of grids today very nicely so will have an easy week of hacking. Only a couple more outings planned and then he's having a few months off out in the field. Going to miss riding him!

Here he is (on the left) with our homebred 2 year old Lusitano x Andalusian (he is the mule's half brother). Who is huge ?

93C2532B-9471-469D-A5DC-2764234E47F3.jpeg

ImmyS

Visit site
Absolutely loving this thread! Having bought my first ever 3 year old this year it’s fun to watch other people’s journey!

Finn is a 3 year old RID gelding I bought back in March unseen from Ireland. He had been lightly backed. He had some down time before going to my trainer for a bit of schooling. He’s since had a mixture of down time, ground work and very light occasional hacking

I’m hoping to box him to a friends for a hack and take him to an in-hand show this autumn for a bit of ‘life experience’ before being chucked out in the field until next spring.

He’s the sweetest boy and is so bold - often nannying his 14 year old hacking buddy passed scary things! I’m really excited about his future.

Schooling with my trainer back in May -

Being a good boy out hacking

Looking rather grown up this morning -

07CE4B89-E314-4BD1-B1E4-6734BC715A2D.jpeg