Backing 3/4yr olds

Asha

Visit site
It’s been a while since I posted about Frank , and it’s definitely a bittersweet update .
He’s been absolute poppet , but I came to the conclusion to find him a new home . Which was the original plan when I bred him . He was just so sweet it took me a bit of time to do it ! So I advertised him and he sold to the first person who viewed him . Passed his vetting on Wednesday and has just left tonight . Fortunately it’s a local family and they promise to keep in touch , so I should see him out and about .

E77D229F-7E70-4215-B80F-D0C5BCA48E2A.jpeg

TheMule

Visit site
It’s been a while since I posted about Frank , and it’s definitely a bittersweet update .
He’s been absolute poppet , but I came to the conclusion to find him a new home . Which was the original plan when I bred him . He was just so sweet it took me a bit of time to do it ! So I advertised him and he sold to the first person who viewed him . Passed his vetting on Wednesday and has just left tonight . Fortunately it’s a local family and they promise to keep in touch , so I should see him out and about .

View attachment 80035

That is good, but sad, news- nice that he is staying local though and he looks fab here

Northern

Visit site
Back on board today! It’s been six weeks since Bella sliced her shoulder open and it’s healed into a small scabbed wound now.
She was pretty good for me today, though we are revisiting the forward and not napping towards the gate discussions ? so happy she’s ready to do stuff under saddle again. She’s been bored and hormonal and it’s spring ??
Picture is sideways, sorry ?

Attachments

• 1923A6E3-A922-4F94-82B5-570208E27122.jpeg
    1923A6E3-A922-4F94-82B5-570208E27122.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 10

j1ffy

Visit site
Asha - it can't have been easy to say goodbye, but it sounds like Frank has found an ideal home
Northern - great that Bella is back in work!

We had another yard dressage competition at the weekend and I entered the Prelim. He was fine working in with others in the warm-up, but a bit nappy on the right rein at the far end. Headed into the big arena and it all fell apart - napping to the gate, refusing to go slower than a canter (but a very nice canter!!). I had decided not to attempt the test but just to settle him when the judge got out and suggested the same, with the lovely additional suggestion to come back at the end and give it another go.

Chilli had a bit of time to relax then I headed back in. He was fine in walk on a long rein, but got a bit nappy once I picked the reins up. Lovely judge got out of her car, got a load of treats and stood in the middle to help me settle him. We ended up having an impromptu 30 minute lesson, just training Chilli to relax. It was far more educational than trying to get him around a test and I was extremely grateful to the judge.

Lesson on Wednesday and also a massage for Chilli so hopefully we can get back on track. Even when worried he was so sweet and felt safe, so I'm sure we can chip away and build his confidence over time. I'm certainly in no rush with him.

Asha

Visit site
Asha - it can't have been easy to say goodbye, but it sounds like Frank has found an ideal home

We had another yard dressage competition at the weekend and I entered the Prelim. He was fine working in with others in the warm-up, but a bit nappy on the right rein at the far end. Headed into the big arena and it all fell apart - napping to the gate, refusing to go slower than a canter (but a very nice canter!!). I had decided not to attempt the test but just to settle him when the judge got out and suggested the same, with the lovely additional suggestion to come back at the end and give it another go.

Chilli had a bit of time to relax then I headed back in. He was fine in walk on a long rein, but got a bit nappy once I picked the reins up. Lovely judge got out of her car, got a load of treats and stood in the middle to help me settle him. We ended up having an impromptu 30 minute lesson, just training Chilli to relax. It was far more educational than trying to get him around a test and I was extremely grateful to the judge.

Lesson on Wednesday and also a massage for Chilli so hopefully we can get back on track. Even when worried he was so sweet and felt safe, so I'm sure we can chip away and build his confidence over time. I'm certainly in no rush with him.

What a fabulous judge, i bet thats helped him massively

Yes, was tough seeing him go. But his new owners have messaged to say he has settled well, and they have already had a shopping spree to spoil him:)

Ouch05

Visit site
Edward had his fourth outing this weekend. Still taking things very slow so not ready for a prelim, canter is an issue nothing bad but struggling to maintain so lost of hacking to help and thats really help. Anyway went out and he was a total poppet, loaded, travelled stood but the trailer, warm up a little tense but lots going on. Entered the arena more tense other horse rearing in next arena but the boy did good. Complete a nice calm test did everything I asked when asked. We only went and won it with 68.04 %

Home to work on the canter can;t believe he will be five next month.

TheMule

Visit site

That sounds perfect for a young horse- I wish we had more dedicated young horse shows here where you can just tak pe the pressure off and have a bit of time in the ring for experience

TheMule

Visit site
So, Emulate went on her first outing and was, overall, a total star.
We had one mule 'expression' and a bit of braying but she was generally very sweet and easy. She is very green as I haven’t really done anything in the arena with her yet and she has only just started cantering so a bit wobbly but once we found canter we were away! She jumps really nicely out of canter so trotting to fences is now banned ?

The sublime….

3E61D5C1-5431-47CB-B0F8-8DD3CD563DFD.jpeg

And the ridiculous ?
015A2B7B-C551-44D6-BC61-D706777E33BB.jpeg

Short highlights clip

Longer version (with her spicy moment!)

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
We had one mule 'expression' and a bit of braying but she was generally very sweet and easy. She is very green as I haven’t really done anything in the arena with her yet and she has only just started cantering so a bit wobbly but once we found canter we were away! She jumps really nicely out of canter so trotting to fences is now banned ?

The sublime….

View attachment 80199

And the ridiculous ?
View attachment 80200

Short highlights clip

I love her.

Reactions: TPO

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Had my first sit on my youngster on Sunday! He was 3 in May. Plan was to back and ride away this year but I didn’t think he was physically there yet. (Gangly still!)
Have done a little lunging, long lining and leaning over. (Taster sessions really!) I will do a couple more sitting sessions and then call it until next spring

Attachments

• 02F70C7E-2A0F-4AA7-A07B-B8B6694BEC2B.jpeg
    02F70C7E-2A0F-4AA7-A07B-B8B6694BEC2B.jpeg
    637 KB · Views: 27

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

The sublime….

View attachment 80199

And the ridiculous ?
View attachment 80200

Short highlights clip

I don't know why but I'm always surprised at the paces mules can have, and her jump is amazing :) Clever name!

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Mules are usually good jumpers. They used to have competitions with mules (US mainly) where they'd jump a vertical from a standstill and it could get quite high. Their form was usually good too.

I want a Spanish mule in the worst way, but my wallet says otherwise ?

j1ffy

Visit site
I love Emulate (great name too of course!) TM! She looks like fun, it's great following your progress.

After our (ahem) 'educational' dressage comp on Sunday, we had a lesson yesterday. Trot work went well (unlike on Sunday) but hysteria (his, not mine) set in when we started canter. Trainer quickly spotted the issue - Chilli's not accepting my leg, particularly the outside leg, so we had to dig fairly deep to begin resolving that. Lucky Chilli had a massage booked in for straight after the lesson so hopefully he's not feeling too exhausted today!

A little bit of the trot work - the aim was to get a smaller trot with him waiting for me instead of flinging legs around!

Lovely trainer is coming back next week just to teach me and sort the issue further, even though it's a 3 hour round-trip for her. We're heading to her place at the end of October too for Chilli's first overnight so will have more opportunities to get things back on track.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I love Emulate (great name too of course!) TM! She looks like fun, it's great following your progress.

After our (ahem) 'educational' dressage comp on Sunday, we had a lesson yesterday. Trot work went well (unlike on Sunday) but hysteria (his, not mine) set in when we started canter. Trainer quickly spotted the issue - Chilli's not accepting my leg, particularly the outside leg, so we had to dig fairly deep to begin resolving that. Lucky Chilli had a massage booked in for straight after the lesson so hopefully he's not feeling too exhausted today!

A little bit of the trot work - the aim was to get a smaller trot with him waiting for me instead of flinging legs around!

Lovely trainer is coming back next week just to teach me and sort the issue further, even though it's a 3 hour round-trip for her. We're heading to her place at the end of October too for Chilli's first overnight so will have more opportunities to get things back on track.

PRE? That is SO familiar! Deza took 6 months to learn to slow everything down.

j1ffy

Visit site
PRE? That is SO familiar! Deza took 6 months to learn to slow everything down.

He's my third PRE and the first two (one of which is Chilli's uncle) are very steady, more likely to stop and think than speed up. However my trainer out in Spain knows me well so I think he bumped up the heat (and talent) when he picked Chilli out as a weanling!

ETA - he was much steadier as a 3yo but has a lot of strength and power to manage now. I think this causes the speed more as much as his natural energy.

TheMule

Visit site
Had my first sit on my youngster on Sunday! He was 3 in May. Plan was to back and ride away this year but I didn’t think he was physically there yet. (Gangly still!)
Have done a little lunging, long lining and leaning over. (Taster sessions really!) I will do a couple more sitting sessions and then call it until next spring

Well done! He looks gorgeous, love the spots- how is he bred?

TheMule

Visit site
Mules are usually good jumpers. They used to have competitions with mules (US mainly) where they'd jump a vertical from a standstill and it could get quite high. Their form was usually good too.

I want a Spanish mule in the worst way, but my wallet says otherwise ?

She was a very good investment- she cost me very little and she's very cheap to keep, plus she provides me with endless joy….. I think you should go for it

daffy44

Visit site
Its so good to see how well everyone is getting on with their youngsters, TM I absolutely love the Mule (and her name!) I've always loved donkeys, and I'm ashamed to say I've never really thought about mules, but yours is just gorgeous.

My 4yr old is ticking along very nicely, hacking well, the work at home is pretty much exactly where I want it to be, so now we have to start trying to get the same quality away from home. He had his second lesson this week, and he was so easy to take out, travel, get on etc, which was lovely, and he worked very well in his lesson, with a big improvement from last time. His attitude is so nice, he really tries his best, and he learns well, so what more can I ask?! He is also much fitter, as after his last lesson he basically slept for two days, but this time he has been very bouncy and jolly, not sleepy at all. Next step for him is to go and wobble around some prelims for a bit of life experience.
Pic is him having a power nap on the lorry before his lesson.

Attachments

• bingo lorry snoozing.jpg
    bingo lorry snoozing.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 15

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Great thread to read, amazing how far all of these lovely horses have come and how much they've changed! Its great to follow for people going over the same footsteps.

I currently have a 3yr old, bought her 3 months ago unseen from Ireland. Did bits with her for a month in summer, little bit of long lining and sat on her bareback once - she didn't blink a eyelid at any of it.

I'm now going to leave her until next year/Spring time before doing anything else and back her properly then. Everyone has said to start hacking her now, but prefer to give her some time over winter to grow and then crack on once she is 4 :)

Marigold4

Visit site
I've started work on my 3 year old New Forest companion pony. And she's being a complete star. Nervous wreck when she arrived 9 months ago due to a difficult start but now a pretty calm young lady. She picks things up quickly and now knows voice commands on the lunge and steering and brakes on long reins. This week I've taught her to stand perfectly still at the mounting block and had a little lean over. I'm on a strict diet to lose the lockdown stone I put on so I can back her at some point - slow progress. Wish I hadn't eaten all those boredom biscuits!

Attachments

• ROB_1191-001.jpg
    ROB_1191-001.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 4

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I've started work on my 3 year old New Forest companion pony. And she's being a complete star. Nervous wreck when she arrived 9 months ago due to a difficult start but now a pretty calm young lady. She picks things up quickly and now knows voice commands on the lunge and steering and brakes on long reins. This week I've taught her to stand perfectly still at the mounting block and had a little lean over. I'm on a strict diet to lose the lockdown stone I put on so I can back her at some point - slow progress. Wish I hadn't eaten all those boredom biscuits!

Shes a smart looking pony!
What will you do with her this year?

alsxx

Visit site
Got to see my boy working this week on the lunge, seems to be going well and relatively straightforward which is a relief! He's started long lining this week too, so hoping he continues the good behaviour ?

Attachments

• IMG_20211005_155832_357.jpg
    IMG_20211005_155832_357.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20211005_155832_278.jpg
    IMG_20211005_155832_278.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 15

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Another Isaac update - although give it a couple of months and we'll be graduated from this 3/4yr olds thread!

We went to trainer's place for another lesson. He said he looks like he's come on a lot in the 6 weeks since he saw him. He was Mr perfect for the whole lesson - jumped everything first time, didn't touch a pole, didn't put a foot out of line. He's better away from home than his is at home! Not long now until he's ready for a BS debut, and he makes his BD debut next weekend too...

TheMule

Visit site
Isaac is looking great- seems really confident and his footwork is super now. I like your trainer too ?
Will you keep him up and going through the winter? I'm just wondering when to bring Nova back in, I think it will have to wait until Christmas but seeing things like this make me desperate to get back going!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Isaac is looking great- seems really confident and his footwork is super now. I like your trainer too ?
Will you keep him up and going through the winter? I'm just wondering when to bring Nova back in, I think it will have to wait until Christmas but seeing things like this make me desperate to get back going!

We'll keep ticking away through winter all being well because our turnout starts to get a bit limited. If they're only out for 3 hours in the morning it makes sense to do some work in the evening just to keep everything moving! If I had beautiful grazing I'd probably give him a 6 week holiday, but alas...