Backing 3/4yr olds

TheMule

Visit site
We'll keep ticking away through winter all being well because our turnout starts to get a bit limited. If they're only out for 3 hours in the morning it makes sense to do some work in the evening just to keep everything moving! If I had beautiful grazing I'd probably give him a 6 week holiday, but alas...

Yes, but easier for me as mine live out so Nova is perfectly content just ambling around getting fat and muddy in a huge field!

TheMule

Visit site
Well, my little mule went on her first proper adventure this weekend as we went to stay at my sister's- a busy yard with plenty of new experiences for her. She was a total star, took it all in her stride, gained lots of new admirers and was really sweet to ride too.

54EA2F85-96EA-4872-AEAA-8A1CD2B736DA.jpeg
3C214974-87A2-467C-B960-D5D1C0FCB37C.jpeg

She also had a clip (didn’t bat an eyelid)

63A1BA61-2FAA-4848-8876-9D704229AD79.jpeg

And she met her 2yr old half brother (who is twice as high and wide as her!)
94A88281-AF49-4759-A28F-D8CFCE9C4CDD.jpeg

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Well, my little mule went on her first proper adventure this weekend as we went to stay at my sister's- a busy yard with plenty of new experiences for her. She was a total star, took it all in her stride, gained lots of new admirers and was really sweet to ride too.

View attachment 80838
View attachment 80839

She also had a clip (didn’t bat an eyelid)

View attachment 80840

And she met her 2yr old half brother (who is twice as high and wide as her!)
View attachment 80841

Mule looks totally awesome ?

Isaac has had a mini clip as of tonight - another first!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Back on board Joe after a few weeks out with a quadriceps ligament strain, thankfully minor. I considered whether to just get on and couldn't see any real reason not to, so I did and he was a very good boy. We had a walk around and a very little bit of trot.

He has gone up a rug size for each of the last two months, his growth rate is extraordinary. It does look now like he could easily reach over 16 hands, which is way more than I thought when I bought him. His paces are ground covering and really comfortable, he's going to make a cracking RC level all rounder or hunter.

ahml100

Visit site
Loved reading everyone’s update! Been taking it slow with my boy, he has had another growth spurt and so have him some chilled time. We then had a strangles scare on the yard, which led to another holiday! Luckily, all was clear so back to slow and steady hacking and light baby schooling. He is coming along nicely if rather plump after his unplanned break. What I do find fascinating is comparing the photo of him at the start of this summer (first photo head straight ahead), to today (head towards camera)

Attachments

• FB5762CC-1602-4ED0-B2FE-42E33D32F372.jpeg
    FB5762CC-1602-4ED0-B2FE-42E33D32F372.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 39A731B8-BA03-4D92-8932-B5C1E9ADF4FE.jpeg
    39A731B8-BA03-4D92-8932-B5C1E9ADF4FE.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 45

TheMule

Visit site
Loved reading everyone’s update! Been taking it slow with my boy, he has had another growth spurt and so have him some chilled time. We then had a strangles scare on the yard, which led to another holiday! Luckily, all was clear so back to slow and steady hacking and light baby schooling. He is coming along nicely if rather plump after his unplanned break. What I do find fascinating is comparing the photo of him at the start of this summer (first photo head straight ahead), to today (head towards camera)

He's a really lovely stamp of a horse, he's going to be super

j1ffy

Visit site

He's really grown into himself! Lovely

lannerch

Visit site
Had another first today , first rider falling off her and it was no surprise me.

the sun was directly ahead so the jumps I usually jump on the farm ride had big shadows in front of them , I could not get her near the first one then I did , and even managed to jump it from a trot , she then cautiously jumped the next two again from a trot with a lot of positive encouragement, so I stupidly deceived to canter the next a small tires fence complete like the others with scary shadow . She did a massive spook sideways and I was on the floor and she was cantering off into the distance. Luckily she stopped across the next field. I caught her eventually managed to get back on , and repeated the exercise, this time at a sedately trot for all of them.
To be fair she was this time very good ,nicely popping them so once I was over the dreaded tires I quit while I was ahead patted her and walked.

I have slowed down with her in general , she is now only hacked out two or three times a week , I don’t want to lay her off totally and loose all the strengthening we have achieved, she did Somerford farm ride a few weeks ago before we dropped her work down and she was was so brave and got bolder as we went round.
think I will pick up again after Christmas .

what are you all up to those of you with 4yo , and thinking ahead what are your plans for next year ?
I think my plan is ideally to hope to do a few 80’s Be events two or three and then no more until the next year . She’s a big horse and I don’t want to risk anything by rushing and a horse for hopefully life.

TheMule

Visit site
Had another first today , first rider falling off her and it was no surprise me.

the sun was directly ahead so the jumps I usually jump on the farm ride had big shadows in front of them , I could not get her near the first one then I did , and even managed to jump it from a trot , she then cautiously jumped the next two again from a trot with a lot of positive encouragement, so I stupidly deceived to canter the next a small tires fence complete like the others with scary shadow . She did a massive spook sideways and I was on the floor and she was cantering off into the distance. Luckily she stopped across the next field. I caught her eventually managed to get back on , and repeated the exercise, this time at a sedately trot for all of them.
To be fair she was this time very good ,nicely popping them so once I was over the dreaded tires I quit while I was ahead patted her and walked.

I have slowed down with her in general , she is now only hacked out two or three times a week , I don’t want to lay her off totally and loose all the strengthening we have achieved, she did Somerford farm ride a few weeks ago before we dropped her work down and she was was so brave and got bolder as we went round.
think I will pick up again after Christmas .

what are you all up to those of you with 4yo , and thinking ahead what are your plans for next year ?
I think my plan is ideally to hope to do a few 80’s Be events two or three and then no more until the next year . She’s a big horse and I don’t want to risk anything by rushing and a horse for hopefully life.

It has to happen at some point! Sounds like it was a justifiable response and you ended on a good note so just one of those things.

My horse 4yr old is on holiday until December, just out in the field since end of August as he had been fairly consistently in a bit of work since March. He found everything so easy but is a June baby and needs to finish growing and maturing
The mule 4yr old will have her break when Nova comes back into work and will probably have December- March off. She has done a bit less than him this year and is an older 4 so she’s out collecting a bit more life experience

TheMule

Visit site
The mule has been a star again, with her first trip to the beach this morning proving to be a big success. She went with 2 big horses so had to find an extra gear which did cause a little bit a 'Wahoo' moment, but she was overall really good, and we jumped a few bit of driftwood ?

ycbm

Visit site
Huge milestone for Joe today. He's only been sat on 6 times in total in 2 months, I think, and had a month out with a pulled muscle/tendon, but today I asked him for a canter in each direction and he did it. I always have my heart in my mouth the first deliberate request for canter, but he really couldn't have been any more laid back about it.

He's got a huge stride and he's really comfortable. When we have some steering instead of relying on the sides of a full cheek bit, he's going to be quite a lot of fun, I think.

Caol Ila

Visit site
The yard's wash stalls are in an old byre. They're these narrow tie stalls with rubber matting. Not the most inviting things in the world. I asked Hermosa to go into one today. After about five minutes of consideration, she went. She is becoming such a brave, sensible mare. I love how she is developing.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Well, Isaac did two more affiliated BD prelim tests at the weekend, picking up 67% in both and completing his area festival qualification. I honestly think he did the best most obedient test he can at this stage - and that the rest of the marks will come in time with more strength and consistency. He'll have a few weekends at home now and then start going out and about to some winter SJ from late November onwards.

Here's a video of his P17 - contact is varying and his ability to work over his back (or not) varies too - BUT he is calm, rhythmical, obedient, rideable and showing some nice moments of relaxation. He's a pleasure to take out to a show and behaves even better than he does at home. Looking forwards to taking him to the AFs for a bit of extra atmosphere - I think he'll thrive on it.

TPO

Visit site
Well, Isaac did two more affiliated BD prelim tests at the weekend, picking up 67% in both and completing his area festival qualification. I honestly think he did the best most obedient test he can at this stage - and that the rest of the marks will come in time with more strength and consistency. He'll have a few weekends at home now and then start going out and about to some winter SJ from late November onwards.

Here's a video of his P17 - contact is varying and his ability to work over his back (or not) varies too - BUT he is calm, rhythmical, obedient, rideable and showing some nice moments of relaxation. He's a pleasure to take out to a show and behaves even better than he does at home. Looking forwards to taking him to the AFs for a bit of extra atmosphere - I think he'll thrive on it.

Thanks for sharing. It has been so enjoyable following Isaac's education and so nice to follow how nicely you produce horses.

j1ffy

Visit site

Lovely test there RF! He has a really nice outline, it's nice to see a horse with his nose out to the contact, and rhythm.

We're a bit 'two steps backward, one step forward' at the moment. His nappy show at the end of September blew Chilli's brains a bit and we're still working on getting back to consistent, calm(ish) work in the school. He is improving again and once he relaxes the work is better than a month ago. We've put canter to one side so we can get the rhythm and outline back in walk and trot. I can't decide whether it's anxiety or 'know-it-all' freshness but either way we need to work through it.

We're off to my trainer's later today - with a lesson this afternoon and in the morning. It will be his first time staying away from home and first indoor arena so there are no expectations other than building his experience and confidence. Knowing how he is when hacking away from home, I suspect he'll be fairly quiet in today's lesson and likely a bit cockier in tomorrow's!

daffy44

Visit site
TM, the Mule is just awesome, I love the video of her on the beach!

RachelFerd, Isaac looks great, thats a really nice willing obedient test, he is a credit to you, thank you for posting the video, its lovely to see.

J1ffy, I hope your trip to your trainers goes well, an overnight stay and two lessons should be a really positive learning curve.

I am a little jealous, I had planned to do my first show last week with my 4yr old, and unfortunately the poor boy got a sore eye, and required a raft of non competition legal medication, so no show for us. His eye is finally starting to improve, so hopefully we can try again soon, he is going very well, and I'm impatient to see how he reacts to a show, but we'll have to wait a little longer.

My_old_warmblood

Visit site
every horse matures differently- mine is about to turn seven (7!) and I’m slowly backing him. Up until a year ago he was weedy, moved like a yearling and couldn’t take a rider. Thankfully my vet and physio say he’s good to go now- I’ll probably never have him fully broken, but he loves having a lunge and a sit on once or twice a week. He’s mellowed out wonderfully over the last year. While I’d love for him to reach his full potential, he’s happy, so I am too. It’s nice experience for me, bonding for the both of us, and something for him to do. Work suits him- without it he’s a nightmare who has no respect for me.

ahml100

Visit site
So today was the day, lift off! Jamie has been progressing nicely over the past couple of weeks, and I had decided it was high time to visit my trainer who broke him in. Now, I would be lying if I said I was hoping to have his first little pop under saddle, but I wasn’t going to mention it and to see what my trainer said. Well he was a super star, cantering on both reins and starting to get that baby outline in the walk and trot. So, out came the poles and he trotted over them beautifully. Then a little fence....! I could not be more happy with him! Really was dream come true moments, not badminton heights but lots to be pleased about.

https://youtube.com/shorts/yLEE_TWub3U?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/UXgI4pRvniU?feature=share

ycbm

Visit site
So today was the day, lift off! Jamie has been progressing nicely over the past couple of weeks, and I had decided it was high time to visit my trainer who broke him in. Now, I would be lying if I said I was hoping to have his first little pop under saddle, but I wasn’t going to mention it and to see what my trainer said. Well he was a super star, cantering on both reins and starting to get that baby outline in the walk and trot. So, out came the poles and he trotted over them beautifully. Then a little fence....! I could not be more happy with him! Really was dream come true moments, not badminton heights but lots to be pleased about.

https://youtube.com/shorts/yLEE_TWub3U?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/UXgI4pRvniU?feature=share

He's going to be very "useful" and I mean that in the best possible way :)