Backing 3/4yr olds

paddi22

Visit site
Random thought of the day…is it actually easier to back a horse outside of a school? The only issues we ever had with my daughter’s mare took place in a sand school (she got bored in literally 5 minutes and decided that learning to long-rein was something she was not doing) and everything else (out hacking, in field, always going somewhere) went so smoothly she begged to be ridden, trotted home with happiness and has done everything asked ever since. New pony doesn’t have access to a school. Long-reining took 5 mins to learn, no drama (down the lane behind the fields). Yesterday we practised mounting - initially in our tie-up area and then off roadside banks. No issues. Walking forwards with child in the tie up area is always a question mark, whereas doing it out and about was like a light coming on. Obviously we would walk forward with child on board because we’re out walking, so forward is what we do…and we were off! It all seems to make more sense to the pony if you’re going somewhere and not round and round in a rectangular space!

I start all mine in a lane at the back of my house, and for the first few weeks they just walk up and down a grass track up the mountain. I think people underestimate how stressful and tough arenas can be for youngsters, the corners and surfaces can be really tough on unbalanced babies. I find starting them by pottering them at home, just getting them forward and happy with being ridden is much easier!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I started Beryl in a trust bit as she doesn’t have the biggest mouth for any of the traditional rubber snaffles. I’ve now upgraded to Skyllas Informed Design Harmony loose ring snaffle, which she seems to like. If she’d not liked that I would have been tempted to try a myler, so I say give it a good and see how she likes it?

In other news Beryl is now a hacking pony ?.
A4ACBBF6-E6BA-4EAB-8DA3-D41AC6CBDE35.jpeg
6707C610-D7BF-439D-B15E-54C7C38B9029.jpeg
65101F47-F6E1-4E2F-8BA6-C9412BEFAC2B.jpeg

chaps89

Visit site
I started Beryl in a trust bit as she doesn’t have the biggest mouth for any of the traditional rubber snaffles. I’ve now upgraded to Skyllas Informed Design Harmony loose ring snaffle, which she seems to like. If she’d not liked that I would have been tempted to try a myler, so I say give it a good and see how she likes it?

In other news Beryl is now a hacking pony ?.
View attachment 95228
View attachment 95229
View attachment 95230
She’s super isn’t she?!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
She’s super isn’t she?!

Shes amazing, never known a baby like her! So accepting of everything and bold, definitely one I’m going to have to be careful not to rush as she just cracks on with whatever is asked of her ?.

Hard to believe she is only three, mentally and physically she’s so mature! Well, when it comes to backing she’s an angel ? in the field she’s a naughty pest for chewing everything and knocking my wheelbarrow over ??.

maya2008

Visit site
New pony has declined to spook while looking after a young visiting horse - so obviously he does that for his own entertainment (such a Welsh pony thing to do ?)! Both young ponies went to arena hire today. New pony was brave and went first, despite having his eyes on stalks. My daughter’s pony followed behind steadily and was very relaxed. Walk and trot, over the odd pole, just learning to go without following (another pony or a path) and turn as directed. At the end, I popped my son on my daughter’s pony so she could go on her own for a bit. After initial reluctance to leave her friend, she walked, trotted and cantered on her own. Need to go back next week really to keep going on this!

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
What’s everyone’s plans for winter?

Mine is to give her winter off, ideally from October to February maybe March depending on weather.

Last edited:

windand rain

Visit site
Kitten is being turned away soon but will be back doing simple stuff on nice days over winter need to get her out on her long reins and actually in traffic although it doesn't bother her at shows or from the road next to her field

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
I seem to be way behind everyone else! My 3 year old had a roller on for the first time yesterday, don't think he even noticed when I did it up, also didn't care about it flapping about his legs. He's so good work with he just loves learning and getting things right and being told he's a good boy.

Caol Ila

Visit site
The good, the bad, and the ugly.

The good. A fellow livery organized a TREC clinic at the weekend, and Hermosa and I participated in hand. She got through every obstacle, some better than others, but it was her first time in an arena with about half a dozen other horses, a couple which she had never seen before because they trailered in. I have lots of videos but I really can't be arsed getting them on here.

The bad. The YO chucked a new gelding into the field, which was previously 6-7 mares and one gelding. It has disrupted the feng shui of the herd. Hermosa is like a lovestruck teenager with the new guy. Christ on a bike. When I brought her back to the field on Sunday, she was on her back legs because I would not let her get to the boyfriend fast enough. Then today, she decided that she could not possibly leave the boyfriend's side, and it took me twenty minutes of sweary join-up faff to catch her. I was worried she'd go for trauma drama, the sequel, and start rearing when leaving the field, but she was pretty cooperative once I got the headcollar on, then calm and focused on work and me as soon as we were out of sight and earshot of the boyfriend. She whinnied a lot and grew a hand when we returned to the herd, but at least she kept all four feet on the ground.

I may have told her that my gelding is my favourite child at the moment. He's got his interesting ex-feral training issues, but really, he's a typical dude. He wants to have a beer, watch the football, hang out with his mates, do his job (carting me around Mugdock Park) and not have too much drama. I appreciate that. Teenage girls/young women are the worst.

My YO has generally made great management decisions, but I'm not overly enthused by this one. It's not just me. Other mare owners have bitched that their horses have gone psycho as well. Livery yards......

Last edited:

ImmyS

Visit site
Finn had a few weeks off work following a small splint. With vets approval he is now back at previous level of work, a few walking hacks a week with one lesson in the school and he is going fab. He’s feeling really good and strong at the moment.

We have introduced a bit of canter in the school just keeping it very easy.

Have had a little switch up with bit and bridle situation. I wouldn’t normally choose a flash but Finn is such a playful mouthy horse I.e grabbing his reins etc it can be quite distracting at times. So have tried a bit that will be more still in his mouth and loose flash just to see if it helps re focus him when he starts getting a bit mouthy. He seems very settled and happy in the new combo.
fbce716d-075b-4360-83a8-53037dc5ab18-jpeg.95413

BE450075-5C90-45D4-AFB3-60E27E4D1D2A.jpeg

Attachments

• FBCE716D-075B-4360-83A8-53037DC5AB18.jpeg
    FBCE716D-075B-4360-83A8-53037DC5AB18.jpeg
    227.1 KB · Views: 495

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
The good, the bad, and the ugly.

The good. A fellow livery organized a TREC clinic at the weekend, and Hermosa and I participated in hand. She got through every obstacle, some better than others, but it was her first time in an arena with about half a dozen other horses, a couple which she had never seen before because they trailered in. I have lots of videos but I really can't be arsed getting them on here.

The bad. The YO chucked a new gelding into the field, which was previously 6-7 mares and one gelding. It has disrupted the feng shui of the herd. Hermosa is like a lovestruck teenager with the new guy. Christ on a bike. When I brought her back to the field on Sunday, she was on her back legs because I would not let her get to the boyfriend fast enough. Then today, she decided that she could not possibly leave the boyfriend's side, and it took me twenty minutes of sweary join-up faff to catch her. I was worried she'd go for trauma drama, the sequel, and start rearing when leaving the field, but she was pretty cooperative once I got the headcollar on, then calm and focused on work and me as soon as we were out of sight and earshot of the boyfriend. She whinnied a lot and grew a hand when we returned to the herd, but at least she kept all four feet on the ground.

I may have told her that my gelding is my favourite child at the moment. He's got his interesting ex-feral training issues, but really, he's a typical dude. He wants to have a beer, watch the football, hang out with his mates, do his job (carting me around Mugdock Park) and not have too much drama. I appreciate that. Teenage girls/young women are the worst.

My YO has generally made great management decisions, but I'm not overly enthused by this one. It's not just me. Other mare owners have bitched that their horses have gone psycho as well. Livery yards......

I think that would upset most mares to be honest. Grrrr. I was in a mixed herd once and never again. It could be worth trying Agnus Castus. I’ve recently started using it, so not sure if it works yet!

Caol Ila

Visit site
It worked when it was the mares + one gelding, but adding gelding #2 has sent the mares doollally, and the boys are acting studdish, which makes the mares worse because they think the lads are stallions. Argh!! I'm procrastinating on going to the yard today.

maya2008

Visit site
I have two geldings at home and we have split the mares so they have a little herd each. I am guessing with two together they are constantly competing with each other!

Caol Ila

Visit site
I had to wait for a delivery of game that I didn't want sitting outside on a warm day, so I used that as an excuse to only deal with Fin today. I shall have to face the hormonal teenager tomorrow. Oy.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Today, it took me only five minutes to catch her. Brought her down to the yard, gave her the spa treatment. Couldn't be a*rsed training. When I brought her back to the field, she managed to keep four feet on the ground while leading (we are learning, maybe) but as soon as I let her go, she started screaming and galloping towards the boyfriend. And he started screaming and galloping towards her. They met, squealing and whickering and being all over each other. It was like the scene in Stallion of the Cimarron where the horse is finally reunited with his favourite mare after his capture/train/Civil War ordeal. Except they were apart for like a f*cking hour. I was like, "Really guys?" FFS.

If a space opened up at Fin's yard tomorrow, I would move her in a second. Before, I had to think about it. But they have strictly single sex herds, and she's a pain in the butt when she's around boys. Which should come as a surprise to no one, given her history.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Hermosa realized that she could be apart from her boyfried for an hour or two, and the world did not end. I restarted her in the long reins yesterday. I hadn't touched them since Caso's owner left for Germany, because she would freak out a bit when they draped to the ground or hit her in the leg, and it took two people to hook her up safely. But I have spent the past six weeks or so digging in with the desensitization training and throwing lots of things at her, and she has become an expert at standing calmly for saddles, rollers, tarps, etc. I also bought some biothane long reins. I had the Busse ones, and I hated them. They were so stiff and rough, it was impossible to gather or let them out quickly. If anyone wants some, they are available for rehoming.

She stood like a pro while I attached them, then we steered around the arena like a drunken sailor. Annoyingly, we are off to Lincolnshire to visit OH's family today, so I won't see her until Wednesday. Hopefully she won't revert back to being feral.291659806_10101037331591075_4586092857101240476_n.jpg

maya2008

Visit site
We had accidental jumps today with new pony - were practising walking over scary things and he decided to leap over about 2ft high! By the end of our little ‘trotting over scary stuff’ training he was a chilled little lad. Brave boy!

windand rain

Visit site
Kitten has been a good girl since her only fit at being ridden even managed to close the electric fence from her back without her moving even when it touched her

Northern

Visit site
Time for another update from Downunder ?

Miss B has spent the first part of winter being a fluffy, unrugged bog pony on a hill. Free as the wind! It’s been so so wet which has made it hard to ride consistently (I know you UK people will laugh, but we’ve never had this much rain ?). The last few weeks have been much nicer (but now cold, down to-7C).

Anyway, B is now approaching 4.5 years of age and I’ve decided to drag her out of the bog to do Something Useful. First up a few lessons and I’m super pleased with her attitude and we now have forward! Still get stuck (warmblood stuck ?) every now and then but she’s got the idea fairly solid and canter transitions are almost established as well. I’ve entered into a low key dressage training day in a few weeks for her first outing, so we’ll work on consolidating our right canter transition until then, everything else is pretty much on track.

My trainer saw her for the first time yesterday and she said some really lovely things, so I’m quite excited about the next few months ?

Some video stills attached. Just love this baby and her attitude towards life ?

Attachments

• 43344014-4DF1-4EDE-A74C-E2DF6D24779A.jpeg
    43344014-4DF1-4EDE-A74C-E2DF6D24779A.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 403E8251-2001-44FD-ABFA-D93A4DC30E78.jpg
    403E8251-2001-44FD-ABFA-D93A4DC30E78.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 23

windand rain

Visit site
Well first fall off went without incident she also bucked for the first time my fault as she was planning on either planting or rearing so I sent the lunge whip behind her. Never seen her buck before even playing so at least she moved forward. Rider was not expecting it as she normally back off so ended up on the deck Kitten was good though just stood still to be remounted and then was as good as gold

maya2008

Visit site
We now have two wonderful ponies who are brilliant out hacking (‘cos that’s almost all they’ve ever done!) - go first or last, any terrain, pretty non-spooky (I’m not counting the ‘spooking for fun’ bits that the Welsh does). Take them in a school though… well, let’s say they need to go every week ?. Welsh pony had a strop ‘cos his rider rode another (older) pony TO the arena (baby ponies went in the lorry) and refused to go in front. Lots of napping later, and he was actually behaving so we let him follow over some poles and for a canter round. My daughter’s pony was willing to go on her own (with encouragement), but kept trying to spin back to the others.

So in answer to my own earlier question- it is MUCH easier to back a pony out hacking, where they can follow the road/trail. Much harder in a school!

Last edited:

daydreamer

Visit site
Duncan and I have had a very slow few months. I ordered a saddle, was told 8 weeks but it’s been nearly 11 I think, I’ve been flat out at work, the ground is like concrete and he was grumpy just doing things he knows so I mainly just left him eating in his field (he was very happy with this arrangement).

Hopefully we’re about to turn a corner though. New hoof boots have arrived, fancy new bridle is due tomorrow, saddle fitter is due Monday and I have just secured a hacking partner for Tuesday!

Attachments

• BF0E57FF-45C8-4CA4-8D16-5204F5C74D1A.jpeg
    BF0E57FF-45C8-4CA4-8D16-5204F5C74D1A.jpeg
    423.6 KB · Views: 7

daffy44

Visit site
I havent posted much on this thread, as I feel a bit of a fraud because I bought my 4yr old already backed. I usually buy foals, but this is the first time in about fifteen years that I've bought a ready backed youngster, and I've found it weirdly more difficult! When I have them from foals I know them so well by the time it comes to backing, its a very smooth process, but with this one I've got to know her while riding her, and its felt very different. But having said all that I'm absolutely delighted with her, loving having a mare to work with again, and really appreciating the partnership we are building together.

Attachments

• Franny head and neck.jpg
    Franny head and neck.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 21

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
One month on from the first hack and one fat knee, a few weeks off and we’re back on and back hacking.

Took her in the field and finally got to see spicy Beryl ? which in a wh saddle was fun ????‍♀️. But otherwise she has kept her halo very much intact! Saw off motorbikes today, stuck her face in a puddle and blew bubbles ??‍♀️ She’s a weirdo but she’s my weirdo ?

7ECC4506-05E1-4B3F-8531-E6F1A36766E1.jpeg

maya2008

Visit site
I made son and new pony go first on every hack this week, hoping to improve his bravery in the school. It worked! Not perfect yet, but so much better than last week.