Backing 3/4yr olds

daydreamer

Visit site
We've been making a bit more progress. My instructor came tonight for the first time since the end of last summer. She watched me long rein in the field and gave some tips but said that I had done a good job with him and should be proud. We then went on a short walk on the long reins with her walking by the side which I haven't really done much of. Duncan was as good as gold, including when we met another horse being long reined in the other direction!

Then at the end of the session we took the roller off and I leant over then had a sit up, a few steps back then got off. I haven't been on or leant over since last summer (and then I only did it 3 times!) but he didn't bat an eyelid. Clever boy!

My homework is to lunge more with the saddle on including with the stirrups down and then do some long lining using the saddle.

I have the saddler booked for 2 weeks time to come and fit him for a proper saddle. I am splashing out on a Wow saddle as I think he is going to be tricky to fit, he is very wide!!smaller back.JPG

ImmyS

Visit site
Finn is home! He’s spent the last nearly three weeks at one of my trainers yards just to do a little schooling and to see different environments etc.
Came home Thursday and I’ve had a couple of rides in the field since and he’s been foot perfect. He’s never been ridden in the field before so just working in relaxation and trying to find a rhythm! There’s a herd of young horses just next door who were having a bit of a play and Finn just carried on with what was asked - love him. 17D98CD7-2F2E-4BFD-A208-AD0CF2030D47.jpegFC081583-4032-443D-AD90-59CFFB26D332.jpeg85151E15-A500-4134-815D-63D30F207402.jpeg27B44BCB-477C-4A83-BF24-F35C434108C4.jpeg

Obviously all this riding stuff is very tiring! ?
149F0BDF-6437-43B6-8D4C-8381725C97C7.jpeg

Really chuffed with how he is looking too, certainly built some top line and looking stronger in his core!
9690F88F-D7C3-4A4F-A7A7-D98BDE37CE13.jpeg

windand rain

Visit site
Can anyone reccomend a good trainer for Kitten her current one is great but not consistent and personally I think she needs a few weeks to get walk and trot established on a daily basis but I am so out of the loop I no longer have a clue where to start

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
First solo hack last night ?

Out halo slipped in canter and we had some bumpy humpy moments. Got told off and normal service resumed ?

Faran doesn’t like being wet so wasn’t not happy when he was sweaty. Even had some foamy bits despite not really doing all that much, definitely needing fitness built up, slowly but surely ?

022CF5A3-F893-452F-9555-D9275A368BAE.jpegFA21FEBB-4C1D-4F3B-BFC7-EFEFB365006C.jpegF8167046-1031-4945-83E1-334D52CC5796.jpeg9AA93509-57B8-4B7E-A751-AE68ACB338CD.jpeg56128EAD-5D46-4F82-B7E1-3247E5D8B9EF.jpeg8B602016-2C56-46E4-BFB6-51CA89CB84D3.jpeg549922A1-7D64-462E-B384-D7112E26F56B.jpeg

Videos form my hat cam

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

we even met a tractor whilst giving a lead to an 18yrs old ex polo pony who was refusing to go out a walk with its owner and go past the golfers. So he was teaching an oldie the hacking ropes ?

First Canter alone as well

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Happy day. I found a handy exercise rider who comes to the racing yard next door, who can help me get Frank going. I've really struggled to firstly find a freelancer and also someone who can deal with the slightly random nature of when we can use the arena etc. so this is an ideal solution. anyway yesterday she had a sit on and we took him to the outdoor school for the first time under saddle. i've long reined a bit in there but that's about it, there is no fence so with iffy steering it didn't seem like a great idea to try by myself :p He found it a bit tricky to wrap his brain around to begin with as there is a field full of TB babies watching right next door that he could have just wandered off to chat with, but he did manage to keep all 4 feet in the arena and pootle about on both reins with a few steps of trot. Started out very wobbly but after 20 mins he had got the idea pretty well.

A huge weight off my mind, i really could not see how I'd be able to progress him further by myself and my brain is just not in the game with all the drama going on in my non-horsey life so this is great.
He was so exhausted afterwards that he didn't even wake up when i took his tea in!

279280202_5441927995818666_6751880891205658089_n.jpg

SEL

Visit site
IMG_20220424_140703242_HDR.jpgIMG_20220504_123903033_HDR.jpg

I'm struggling a bit with imposter syndrome here given I've just bought my rising 4yo already backed and ridden away - but he is just a baby (& has reverted to very baby in his new home!) & I've really enjoyed reading all your posts. I'm conscious that I'm on my own, not riding fit as everything else is broken and without transport.

He's a very sweet 14h cob. When I rode him he reminded me of my friend's Welsh Sec C that I rode for years from a 4yo - that same combination of forwardness but sane. So I bought him ?

chaps89

Visit site
View attachment 92058View attachment 92059

I'm struggling a bit with imposter syndrome here given I've just bought my rising 4yo already backed and ridden away - but he is just a baby (& has reverted to very baby in his new home!) & I've really enjoyed reading all your posts. I'm conscious that I'm on my own, not riding fit as everything else is broken and without transport.

He's a very sweet 14h cob. When I rode him he reminded me of my friend's Welsh Sec C that I rode for years from a 4yo - that same combination of forwardness but sane. So I bought him ?
Brilliant news (and a bonus pic of M, hurrah!) I hope he settles well and you enjoy him

Reactions: SEL

milliepops

Visit site
Look at him go ?
He really learned a lot in his first session. Today we could use the indoor which he is much more familiar with and hit second gear. It's taxing for his baby brain but he's such an honest student, didn't bat an eye when they closed the noisy sliding doors as he passed which basically every other horse has a fit about... wonder when he's going to get brave and cocky ??

Another little go tomorrow then he can chill Saturday and recap Sunday.

FB_IMG_1651775357967.jpg

daydreamer

Visit site
:D:D:D Super excited today. First proper ride!!! Duncan was so good, I'm really proud of him. Before tonight he has been sat on 4 times, all bareback (3 time last summer then again once last week) and we just did a few steps backwards and yielding with him each time. I have never even leant over him with the saddle but today I got on and had a walk around his field!!

He didn't bat an eyelid when I got on. He was initially confused and a bit wobbly and slow (understandably :)) at first but then gained confidence and I managed some steering and some walk-halt transitions. We then had a bit of walk in a straight line that was lovely and relaxed and forwards. Then he had a crisis of confidence and we had a bit of stop start again before heading towards the gate and ending after a bit more of a forwards walk. My instructor kept us on a lead rein for safety but I'm absolutely fine with that, we don't have an arena so do pretty much everything in his field at the moment.

I couldn't stop grinning :D:D I have had him since he was 6 months old. I've never had a youngster before so he's had to put up with me bumbling around and not knowing what I am doing. I'd really recommend the Morgan breed as intelligent, sensitive yet sensible lovely horses.

From this...
1st week smiles.jpg
to this....
first ride.JPG

milliepops

Visit site
smile says it all :) someone i know has a morgan, really smart intelligent mare who seems like a lot of fun.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Had my first proper sit on Baby Bean yesterday!!! No picture so hopefully next time, she was as good as gold, didn't bat an eyelid :D.

Does anyone else back without all the lunging and long lining? Bean isn't a big fan of lunging, she just stands next to me and she isn't even fussed by a bag at the end of a stick ?. Instead I just walk around a bit and then hop on and she seems okay with that?

Think she will get the lunging after the riding really.

ImmyS

Visit site
Had our first proper canter together today. Bar a few strides in the school Finn hasn’t really cantered at all and me and trainer agreed that cantering straight lines out hacking at present will be best as Finn is just so big and unbalanced.
Had my OH in the ground just in case but he was super, had a little canter up the hill then walked backed down and had another, with no silliness or issues.

We have also conquered our first few hacks completely alone and he has been fab. He has reverted back to jogging a bit once heading for home which he used to do in hand hacking. This improved to the point he hadn’t jogged at all for months but I guess without me on the ground as security blanket his confidence has reverted a little, so I am sure this will stop again once confidence rebuilt! Can’t really complain though as he hasn’t been spooky and has been rock solid in all traffic.

0D868E0A-2364-41A8-8801-F1728EE78121.jpeg

Caol Ila

Visit site
Ugh. I really need to move Hermosa. This two yard thing sucks. Her current yard is perfect for her, but it's a b1tch of a drive, and the Scottish government has said that the motorway through Glasgow won't be fully functional until 2025, so it ain't getting better anytime soon. I'm not keen to move Fin to her yard because his yard works for both him and me, it's super close, I kind of like DIY, and the hacking is beautiful and epic. If he was at her yard, I would have to do the drive-from-hell every day, and probably the hacking-from-hell to boot because that yard has everything he hates -- quad bikes, pigs, and very, very fast traffic (and trains!!! yikes!!!!). It would either fix his issues, or it would be horrendous.

But Hermosa is mentally and physically ready to do a bit more, and it's really hard to manage that with her being far away. I just feel like she's had so much disruption in her life, with multiple moves, the unplanned foal, et. al. She's happy, and it would be so nice for her to have stability for a while. But this is driving me nuts, and several mares have moved or been sold from Fin's yard, which means there may be space for mares.

daydreamer

Visit site
I had the saddle fitter out today. Duncan was excellent. We tried 3 different saddles and I hopped on and she led me around his field. This was only my second proper ride (well, ok, maybe 3rd as I popped on by myself on Saturday evening and we had a bit of a shuffle around for a few minutes . Luckily he was good as I was by myself with noone around and I hadn’t told anyone I was planning to do it. Oops!:oops:).
Anyway, today we trotted!!! :D A couple of short trots in each of the saddles. He didn’t put a foot wrong. We are now likely to have a short delay (about 8 wks :confused: )whilst we wait for the new saddle. The saddle fitter said she thought I would struggle with an off the peg saddle so pleased I chose the wow route. If anyone knows what it means (I don’t really) he needs a 3u gullet, dxwg panels on a flat y tree (or something like that!). Hopefully when I get to ride again I’ll get some video!

maya2008

Visit site
Ugh. I really need to move Hermosa. This two yard thing sucks. Her current yard is perfect for her, but it's a b1tch of a drive, and the Scottish government has said that the motorway through Glasgow won't be fully functional until 2025, so it ain't getting better anytime soon. I'm not keen to move Fin to her yard because his yard works for both him and me, it's super close, I kind of like DIY, and the hacking is beautiful and epic. If he was at her yard, I would have to do the drive-from-hell every day, and probably the hacking-from-hell to boot because that yard has everything he hates -- quad bikes, pigs, and very, very fast traffic (and trains!!! yikes!!!!). It would either fix his issues, or it would be horrendous.

But Hermosa is mentally and physically ready to do a bit more, and it's really hard to manage that with her being far away. I just feel like she's had so much disruption in her life, with multiple moves, the unplanned foal, et. al. She's happy, and it would be so nice for her to have stability for a while. But this is driving me nuts, and several mares have moved or been sold from Fin's yard, which means there may be space for mares.

I would just move her. We moved our youngster for weaning and did all the pre-backing prep at that yard. She settled quickly and it actually helped her to attach more to us, as we were the only familiar thing she had.

maya2008

Visit site
As a general question, for those who have their ‘backed this year’ horses up and running, how much work are you doing with them? I only hack for the first year, but little pony is keen to do more and go further on her 4x a week hacks. Her rider weighs 10% of her weight and we are mostly off-road. In the past I have just kept an eye on tiredness and done what they wanted to do, but I am not actually on this one so it’s harder to gauge how tired she is or isn’t.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I would just move her. We moved our youngster for weaning and did all the pre-backing prep at that yard. She settled quickly and it actually helped her to attach more to us, as we were the only familiar thing she had.

It’s academic anyway. I messaged the YO, saying I’d like to move her soon, and she said that there’s still no room at the inn in the mares’ field and Im in the middle of a long wait list

milliepops

Visit site
first pair of shoes, he has been hobbling over all the stony tracks so this will hopefully help him to stay positive about his work. was a bit unsure about the smoke but didn't mind the nailing on at all. OH is good with the babies so he had a very good experience. He then had his first ride in the rain which caused more consternation :p He did his first canter under saddle yesterday so it's been a busy old week for a young mind... he can have a quiet week now to think about it all!

280392776_5475480839130048_5847246157831947963_n.jpg

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
I've decided I want to take Bean to an inhand show in a month so thought I best start practice loading.

This was her second day of training, look at her go!

Left in the ending for comedic value.

maya2008

Visit site
I've been doing handy pony with the older, ought to know better spooktastic horse... so young Frank came to have a go today.
Not remotely bothered, bless him :D did bunting and tarp-crossing without missing a beat.

281734541_5484969111514554_4568329050093720329_n.jpg
You never know, you might end up being really glad you kept him. One of mine was supposed to be a project to sell…13 years ago. So glad she didn’t sell, she’s amazing!!

milliepops

Visit site
You never know, you might end up being really glad you kept him. One of mine was supposed to be a project to sell…13 years ago. So glad she didn’t sell, she’s amazing!!
Nope I really can't keep him, my mum is going into hospital mid June and ideally he needs to be with his new person by then as I'll be properly short of time and brainspace after that ?‍?

I agree with the principle, kira the project that never left was great. But if I keep him he'll end up being a 5yo with no education and he's really ready to learn more this year.

SEL

Visit site
Nope I really can't keep him, my mum is going into hospital mid June and ideally he needs to be with his new person by then as I'll be properly short of time and brainspace after that ?‍?

I agree with the principle, kira the project that never left was great. But if I keep him he'll end up being a 5yo with no education and he's really ready to learn more this year.

Watching your updates he seems to be that nice trainable type that lots of people would enjoy - my farrier said the same about my new cob yesterday. Not so bright that they ask too many questions ;) , but just enough between the ears to make them fun to bring on. I took it as a compliment given the intelligent mare in the field was rapidly working out how to take her muzzle off while farrier was shoeing the newbie!

milliepops

Visit site
Watching your updates he seems to be that nice trainable type that lots of people would enjoy - my farrier said the same about my new cob yesterday. Not so bright that they ask too many questions ;) , but just enough between the ears to make them fun to bring on. I took it as a compliment given the intelligent mare in the field was rapidly working out how to take her muzzle off while farrier was shoeing the newbie!
yeah i think so, he is completely straightforward in that way. it does feel silly to be parting with an easy horse, god knows all the others are complex creatures! but equally he is the ideal one to go and flourish elsewhere.