Badminton 2023 thread

Bobthecob15

Visit site
We went on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was unbelievable...the rain was absolutely relentless and the mud was everywhere....the reason so much stock was damaged was because the mud was so sloppy it was splashing up when people walked...so as you walked past clothing in stands it was spraying up. Same with people and dogs...as dogs walked past they were splashing it on clothing etc. By Sunday lots of dogs were not allowed in the shops...very sensible.
I saw a lot of miserable looking dogs on Saturday, felt so so sorry for them 😢

Sunday the mud was even worse, it was sticky and suck off wellies consistency! We tried to go to the shops but you couldn't walk in it...and the numbers of people were unbelievable...so we gave up. We got there for 8 and drove right in...heard people were waiting 4hrs to get in and the same to leave. Fences were 10 plus deep with crowds at points...we didn't get anywhere near the lake...same as last year. No toilets on the course bar a couple at mid way points...lots of complaints from people about this.

I'm not going on XC day again, it was mobbed last year and assumed because of covid but this year if anything it felt worse...badly organised with loos, food outlets etc and it just wasn't enjoyable with kids. Such a shame. Am going to watch it back on Badminton TV today, honestly get a better view of it on the TV compared to being there 😂

Last edited:

Mahoganybay

Visit site
We travelled from Stroud yesterday and queued for 3 hours to get in, thought we would leave it until a little later hoping it would be better which backfired badly as we were unable to walk the whole course.

The lack of information / direction / toilets were awful. We were not asked for entry tickets (so anyone could have gone in).

What jumps we tried to watch, you couldn’t get near. There were so many people / dogs and mud.

We ended up sitting and taking shelter in the grandstand. Managed to do abit of shopping.

We are going back again today for the show jumping and to be honest I’m dreading the journey, rain & mud. Fortunately we had the foresight to book covered seating.

I won’t go again at this stage 😏

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It's interesting that they are now limiting tickets but having issues with numbers. Historically for fence watching you had to watch 2 at a fence, you wouldn't see much for the first one but then everyone would move on and you'd be able to move forward see the next one from the front. Are people sticking to once fence rather than moving on now?

TheMule

Visit site
I was there yesterday and had a great time- I shopped early and it was fine with wellies- by the end of the day it was fine in normal boots. It was busy out on course and you had to sometimes wait for one horse to go through and others to move on but I saw everything and got stands seats by the lake on both occasions I went very easily.
It's a shame there's so much negativity, we're so lucky we can watch the top level of sport here in the UK and I'm not convinced 5* will be around for too much longer (I hope I'm wrong)

Bobthecob15

Visit site
It's interesting that they are now limiting tickets but having issues with numbers. Historically for fence watching you had to watch 2 at a fence, you wouldn't see much for the first one but then everyone would move on and you'd be able to move forward see the next one from the front. Are people sticking to once fence rather than moving on now?
No they moved on. Never seen as many people though as there have been the last 2 years

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Re the shopping. I'm glad that I stopped by the Just Chaps store and their very friendly and helpful staff on Friday when clean and presentable. I ending up buying a pair of half chaps and a pair of waterproof riding trousers after trying on multiple options for each.

I honestly couldn't have expected them to let me try before I buy if I'd gone on the Saturday, where by late morning the same jeans and walking shoes as I'd worn the day before looked like this. I wasn't aware at the time just how filthy I'd got, I thought I'd avoided the worst of it.

IMG_1117.jpeg

Orangehorse

Visit site
Very good write up from Eventing Nation.

A large number of falls and eliminations, how did the first timers get on?

As for the crowds, a few years ago I decided to go on a dressage day, walk the course and then watch it at home. Last time I went on Grass Roots day, so watched some cross country, and saw the course and did the shops.

I didn't buy the TV coverage as I have been away, so I knew I wouldn't be able to watch much of it, so maybe next year. I don't think it is too expensive, when the car parking is £20.00. I'll be watching TV this afternoon.

The soggy going makes eventing into a different competition, where a TB is needed to get home, whereas on good to firm going the better dressage result is needed to be competitive.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I can't remember exactly what Lucinda said, but she was pretty forthright about needing to ride your horse to the conditions and to look after it. Tbh, it was Nicola Wilson who was nearer the knuckle. I don't think that anyone outright criticised Oli on air? Various veiled comments, though.

Haven't gone back to view the live coverage again so can't quote. Lucinda's stint in the commentary box was rather brief.

Despite what Oli said on air, Swallow Springs is down as E at fence 24, the fairly straightforward Beaufort Brush Box. He was the competitor after Fiona Kashel, so would have been held on course anyway.

Kadastorm

Visit site
Anyone else finding badminton tv really glitchy to watch back? I’m trying to watch the first lot of XC that I missed but it’s starting to drive me bonkers!

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
I can't remember exactly what Lucinda said, but she was pretty forthright about needing to ride your horse to the conditions and to look after it. Tbh, it was Nicola Wilson who was nearer the knuckle. I don't think that anyone outright criticised Oli on air? Various veiled comments, though.

Haven't gone back to view the live coverage again so can't quote. Lucinda's stint in the commentary box was rather brief.

Despite what Oli said on air, Swallow Springs is down as E at fence 24, the fairly straightforward Beaufort Brush Box. He was the competitor after Fiona Kashel, so would have been held on course anyway.
I'm rewatching again this morning and I have to say Dan Jocelyn riding immediately after Ollie rode just as bad a tired horse, also banked the table and fell through the water rails and had that and yet not pulled up or mentioned 🤷‍♀️

Northern Hare

Visit site
Re the shopping. I'm glad that I stopped by the Just Chaps store and their very friendly and helpful staff on Friday when clean and presentable. I ending up buying a pair of half chaps and a pair of waterproof riding trousers after trying on multiple options for each.

I honestly couldn't have expected them to let me try before I buy if I'd gone on the Saturday, where by late morning the same jeans and walking shoes as I'd worn the day before looked like this. I wasn't aware at the time just how filthy I'd got, I thought I'd avoided the worst of it.
Hi TP, well done on your shopping success, I agree ref Just Chaps, the staff of their stand are always support helpful!

I just wondered if you're staying in your motorhome in the Badminton Campsite again this year? If so, how is the ground standing up with the wet weather - fingers crossed you can get out without a tow from a friendly tractor driver! In previous years itlooked like there was a decent amount of hard standing around the entry/exit. 🚜🤞

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
In Oli's interview after he said he was initially held on course and during the hold, Swallow Springs was checked over by a vet who checked recovery rate and had no concerns.

I think it was likely to be a conversation between whoever was there and OT and it was decided the horse was done, even with a breather.

As for the coding as E rather than R, only those who were in that conversation know why that was, it could have been a technical reason, it could have been used as an opportunity to show the sport being responsible, we don't know and shouldn't speculate.

ETA: I could fully believe it was a simple mistake with OT jumping off during the hold, to give the horse a break and that being coded as E.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I havnt watched any of it but have been reading various post etc so I don't know what happened but I thought I read that OT horse hit a fence and didn't look quite right afterwards? As I say I havnt seen any of it but looking forward to watching bbc2 later!!