Badminton thread!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
It was not a great day :( It was hit and miss walking the course to see if a horse actually came past! The ground was bad, it was spongy and strangely 'clumpy'??? By the time I finished walking the course I was 4" taller.
The wind was awful and the breaks in coverage were from the sat vans being blown to bits!! At one point in the stands one of the supports came down-thankfully no one was sitting under it!

I went and didn't think the ground was bad at all, hardly a mark on the course. I quite enjoyed not having to rush from one fence to another to avoid missing things. We even sat down and had a picnic between horses at once fence! The wind was ferocious though, I agree. I felt for those cameramen trying to keep the cameras still on those poles in the wind.

suzi

Visit site
I went and didn't think the ground was bad at all, hardly a mark on the course. I quite enjoyed not having to rush from one fence to another to avoid missing things. We even sat down and had a picnic between horses at once fence! The wind was ferocious though, I agree. I felt for those cameramen trying to keep the cameras still on those poles in the wind.

I agree. It was certainly an interesting day and good to be able to see all the fences upfront. Gives a perspective you often miss on the TV.

The coverage team did their best given the ridiculous winds and we managed to see a horse or two at virtually every fence.

Looking forward to watching the highlights to see what I missed and can't wait for the SJ!

I thought the ground held up well yesterday and the wind (although tiring) was really helping it dry out which should help today too.

It was also nice to see the XC problems spread around the course.

Has AN said anything/been interviewed? I heard him after the dressage saying he didn't think the b element of fence 18 should have been taken out......

dollymix

Visit site
thanks MB - was hoping that the footage would be online somewhere by now with all the other BBC sport stuff - but sadly I can't find anything!

Sherry74

New User
Visit site
Oo I am not sure who the lady in the blue is.....but a bit un-called for with the stick there!!

ETA it was Carolyne Ryan-Bell at the lake

I watched this and it is still bothering me. Disgusting behaviour from a professional rider. She smacked him in pure anger when he was early already upset/shaken. A lovely host boy who had done her proud numerous times. I am saddened and disgusted and hope she faces some sort of rebuke over this. Her face spoke volumes. Totally unacceptable. To smack to help a horse get over a fence safely is one thing. To take out your own frustrations on it is quite another. Anyone else feel quite cross about her display of temper?

Dottie

Visit site
I watched this and it is still bothering me. Disgusting behaviour from a professional rider. She smacked him in pure anger when he was early already upset/shaken. A lovely host boy who had done her proud numerous times. I am saddened and disgusted and hope she faces some sort of rebuke over this. Her face spoke volumes. Totally unacceptable. To smack to help a horse get over a fence safely is one thing. To take out your own frustrations on it is quite another. Anyone else feel quite cross about her display of temper?

Yes. I thought the same. Totally uncalled for and i drew a breath when it happened. Lovely honest horse who was clearly struggling by the time she got to the VV and double hedges. The commentary were suggesting she retired.... Not sure what happened?

mypegasus

www.themusingsofpegasus.wordpress.com
With regard to Caroline Ryan-Bell, I think the ground jury pulled her up for continuing on a tired horse as I am almost certain (can't get on a Badminton website right now) that she's listed as eliminated.
If so then think it was a good call from the ground jury!

Darremi

Visit site

This is actually a tough call. When a horse puts in a dirty stop like that you do have to let them know that they have done something wrong.

Unfortunately, it looked bad on TV.

What is worse IMO is riders whipping their horses because they are tired at the end of the course. That is completely unecessary and unfair. It should attract some sort of punishment.

flurrydor

Visit site
All horses that presented are through the trot up.
Beltane Queen didn't present, nor did Emma Dougall or Kai Meier.

Befney3

Visit site
mypegasus, thanks for the stats. Interesting to see.

I hope they've fixed the website by the time the showjumping starts. I can't find any other way to listen to Radio Badminton. Can't wait to be back in the UK next year & be able to actually go & watch.

armchair_rider

Visit site
I bet WFP is thinking that, I thought it was slightly surprising anyway given that the familiarity with the course would have helped him out on Parklane Hawk. Mind you I can certainly see why he didn't want to risk the horse.

Thanks for the report on the trot up, I wish Badminton would hurry up and fix their website. Mind you I should think they've got a lot to fix after yesterday

tonkatoy

Visit site
a lot of the horses are double entered for upcoming events, in case they throw a shoe..bruised sole... miss a fenct etc and so they dont miss the cut off dates...

my money is on.... yep..got nothing!!!!

armchair_rider

Visit site
Notice Cool Mountain is entered for 3* at Chatsworth - that may explain the withdrawal.

Has to be a factor.

I think Paul Tapner has to be the favourite. He has a fence in hand, he's won before which should give him confidence/steady his nerves and he says he likes to ride in the rain but his horse was very tired by the end yesterday. The arena is going to get fairly cut up and the horses are tired so the winner could come from anywhere. I reckon anyone within 3 fences of the lead has a chance! Pippa Funnell must be in with a shout, she's very good at SJing and the horse has a lot of SJer in his breeding - and again she's very experienced.

Fools Motto

Visit site
I saw NW and BQ hit the rail going into the new pond, but the 'B' on the score board is at a difference fence... did she knock another?
I'm assuming the little game mare is a bit bruised. Such a shame, a lovely mare. One for the future for sure.

MegaBeast

Visit site
I saw NW and BQ hit the rail going into the new pond, but the 'B' on the score board is at a difference fence... did she knock another?
I'm assuming the little game mare is a bit bruised. Such a shame, a lovely mare. One for the future for sure.

They hit V V and skewed badly, lucky the pin broke or it would have been a nasty fall. There's a sequence of pics on fb showing it and on e-venting.

glamourpuss

Visit site
There must've been a lot of head scratching about how to fill the schedule today ...
Do you think? I think that it would've only been an issue if only about 25 horses & riders were through to SJ. The session 1 will have 12 horses then the final 20 later. Seems perfectly fine to me. The organisers will be glad that there aren't too many jumping on the ground early to save it for final riders.
IMO when there are a lot of people in the 1st SJ group the stands tend to be very quiet as people aren't interested in watching so tend to do their shopping etc then.
I should think with a smaller 1st group more people will come & watch them (& do shopping in the time between the sessions) & create a real atmosphere for the lower placings...which is fantastic!

Supertrooper

Visit site
Who's everyone rooting for? I'm keeping fingers, toes and everything else crossed for Pippa. Even if she came in top five I'd be chuffed to bits as I love Gorgeous xxxxx