Badminton XC - thoughts?

kit279

Visit site
Just wondering what everyone thought of the course, horses and riders today?

There are some really nice horses out there - I particularly liked Aoife Clark's two and the German mare lying in 2nd place was super, as well as that lovely grey mare Roma ML. I thought Ruth Edge was very unlucky as I thought she rode really positively today so a real shame for her not to have gone clear.

Also there are a fair few threads in other parts of the forum about 'whip abuse'. I'm surprised by this as most of the riders I saw were trying to encourage their horses to jump better and help them out rather than punish them. I didn't see anyone hit their horse in a temper and I wouldn't have called it abuse? Am I the only person who thinks that? :eek:

only_me

Visit site
I only saw the last hour really, and saw some fantastic riding, and no abuse of the whip.

the horses's I thought really felt the fast going and heat, which probably surprised a lot of riders at the end when their horses' were becoming more tired!

NinjaPony

Visit site
I thought there was some terrible riding- Andreas Ostholt, his horse was so tired, and he was not helping in the slightest- and some really good rounds- I paticularly enjoyed Lucinda Freidricks round, her mare looked up for it, fit and scopey.
Opposition Buzz had a great round as well, as did Lenamore.
Mark Todd's horse was tired, but he got it round safely. You are not the only person who thinks that. MT hit his horse to get it over a jump safely after a very sticky moment, then didn't use it again. He had no choice but to ride forward, or they could have been in trouble.
However, there were a lot of falls, more than usual, which was a bit worrying. But there was some really good riding there.

kickonchaps

Visit site
Whip thing was really interesting, esp after the big thread in NL a little while ago about people misusing the whip, and lots of comments from people saying they've never had to whip any horse of theirs to make it jump!

I think on the whole the whip was used fairly and correctly, with the exception of thingy Osthalt at the end who was horrific!! And I'm sorry Bruce Davidson, I love you but I can't stand the way your son rides :eek::eek:

Nicola Wilson was AMAZING though, loved her round, as was Laura Colette, gutted for Emily Baldwin though (actually she was one who I thought probably did lose her rag at the water and shouldn't have hit the horse when she did and as hard as she did, don't think it helped)

Great day's viewing though, bring on tomorrow!!

NeverSayNever

Visit site
interested to hear thoughts on Emily Llewellens round? The horse seemed to be fighting her the whole way round and got a fair few smacks to remind it to listen. Im not anti whip btw, just interested. I take it her horse doesnt usually go like this?

loveshorses

Visit site
Totally agree about Andreas Ostholt! I love Lucinda's mare she looked to be loving every stride of it and finished happy.
Think abuse may be a little much but did see some unnecessary use of the whip , didn't see who but some one gave theirs 3 behind the legs after the 2nd from last which I cant see any need for and saw some badly timed use if it swell .... really hate the whole smack it when its landed thing and think when they've got you out of a sticky situation and stood up the last thing they want is a smack ... although it wont stop as its from the training at the top!

Supertrooper

Visit site
I thought that lucinda, nicola and the german lady rode beautifully, I didn't see the german horse finish but lucinda and nicola's horse looked incredibly fit and full of running and it was nice to see. Nicola's round was pure class, and buzz looked like he had wings!

The rides that made me cringe where ruth's, I just don't think the horse has his heart in it. Karen O'conners horse should of been retired before the bank and it was not nice to see him falling off backwards. Oli I thought was actually riding really well but a horse that hangs legs like ACM is a disaster waiting to happen. Andreas should of been pulled up by the stewards and I don't know why it wasn't done TBH, that horse was knackered and he should of behaved better at the finish re caring for horse! I'm not sure what I think re mark Todd, TBH I think if it had been anyone else I'd be more cross that he didn't pull up BUT I do think he did a very good job at nursing the horse home and we'll see if horse passes trot up tomorrow

Puppy

Visit site
Nicola & Opposition Buzz were awesome :D I loved watching their round :)

I think the heat was very wearing on the horses today. :( I wouldn't say that there were any more falls than usual, but just more tired horses to be seen, due to the weather.

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
Emily l was ott with whip IMHO she gave it a couple of reminders on run in to water (before truck element) which ok maybe bad last jump and needed reminder but she was very late with the three after the stop i.e. About 6-10 secs after the stop.

Overall some very tierd horses half way never mind end. A few got away with murder at water alone where I was and also sone v nasty falls and thoughts with all especially camilla who I saw fall.

Puppy

Visit site
I didnt see Emily Llewellens round but have been told it was quite ugly ......

I don't think 'ugly' is quite the right word, but it's fair to say that the horse didn't make it easy for her at all and she was having to work very hard.

I should have also mentioned in my above post how blooming marvelous Mister Pooh is! :D What a horse! :D

NicoleS_007

Visit site
I watched most of it :D Some fab riding, with alot of hairy moments :eek: Disapointed that Pippa withdrew. Loved Lucindas round, very well ridden, Ruth Edge was going so well until her refusal. Was a bit disappointed as we didnt see much of Joseph Murphys round. I dont think there was whip abuse but Emily L's round was a bit ummm odd!! As said before looked like the horse was fighting her, i felt it got alot of slaps for no reason :confused: I know if my horse runs off with me a slap just makes her resist and fight even more but im no expert thats just my opinion.

Firewell

Visit site
I thought it was a great day's XC, real Badminton. At the end of the day this is meant to be the toughest XC test in the world and I thought it fitted the bill - lots of thrills and spills but everyone got home safely.
I thought it really separated the wheat from the chaff. The top class 4 star horses who were ridden superbly made little work of it, whereas anyone who didn't ride with respect or who's horses were not fit enough, brave or scopey enough floundered. That was my view anyway.
In particular I thought Lucinda federicks was bloody amazing how she gave that horse confidence. Mark Todd showed class riding on a lovely but tired horse. I felt sorry for Ruth edge as she didn't do anything wrong, horse just looked like it lacked bottle?
Some interesting riding though as well I thought!
Oh an opposition Buzz could have gone round with his eyes shut, gorgeous. Andrew Nicholson also showed everyone how to do it getting 2 horses clear and within time.
WTF about the whip abuse thread in NL?? Honestly they should stick to happy hacking, they clearly do not understand. This is Badminton not fiddlesticks. The worst riding of the day? That German dude, Andreas. Felt a bit sorry for his horse, it looked so genuine as well at the beginning. Also Karen O Connors horse, I would have retired after 2 stops. I think it's going to have a pretty miserable memory of XC having fallen down that step and it was so trying to be brave :(.
I loved every second of watching Badders though, can't wait for the SJ it's going to be nailbiting :)

ringtor

New User
Visit site
Number 100 - Andreas Aisholt? - was really thrashing his horse before the Quarry. He was wobbling in the saddle. Neither he nor the horse were fit enough for the course. I hope the authorities take notice.

Jesstickle

Visit site
Opposition Buzz was round of the day for me. Made it look easy and looked like he enjoyed every minute of it.

As to abuse of the whip? I don't think I saw any today frankly. Three smacks on the bum is not the end of the world. In fairness they were a bit late but I believe the horse makes a habit of stopping at water so probably deserved them. Just MO though of course.

Jane_Lou

Visit site
I was loving Sarah Wardell's horse Killeenduff Boy, what made him not put the landing gear out at the water only he knows!

Mister Pooh was super and Opposition Buzz was awesome.

I was very impressed with Aiofe Clark, to get two round in her first Badminton is quite and acheivement and her dressage on her 2nd horse shows that Ireland has a new guard that can do dressage as well as the "fun bits"

amage

Visit site
I def would not consider Emily's use of the whip abusive. Horse was a sod, he's had issues with water before, threw in a downright dirty stop and she hit him as she was picking up canter to represent. Toddy...i'm not convinced....horse was very very tired and while he did have to ride him forward I do wonder should he have been pulled up!

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
interested to hear thoughts on Emily Llewellens round? The horse seemed to be fighting her the whole way round and got a fair few smacks to remind it to listen. Im not anti whip btw, just interested. I take it her horse doesnt usually go like this?

TBH, when I saw the initial whip abuse thread, I assumed it was about this ride.:eek:
Yes, the horse was making her life rather difficult, but she did seem to be using her whip in anger, even slapping his bum after the penultimate fence, rather than in a constructive way as with MT, who gave his horse a reminder in order to remind it to jump properly.

I think anyone who honestly believes though that either rider was truly abusive needs to wake up and smell the coffee.
Taking a softly softly approach and accepting anything other than total focus is dangerous for both horse AND rider.

JenTaz

Visit site
really enjoyed watching it today, was rather confused with stephanie (number 93) i didnt realise that they were allowed to go xc with fixed peak hats on but then im used to pony club and riding club rules only skull caps allowed above 2ft6 The german guy andreas, both of his rounds were ridiculous, bad riding and unfit horses, I understand it would have been hot down at badminton today but they should still have thought about the weather conditions to have the horses fit enough they all know how challenging badders is on the horses, but thats my opinion. Was gutted to see carolyne ryan bell and rathmoyle king have a fall you cant beat a nice irish horse

Bedlam

Visit site
With regards to whip use close to the end of the course on the flat - I have heard Yogi Breisner's advice on how to tell whether or not to pull your horse up when it's tiring. Don't quote me on the order he suggested you do this (it's my daughter that events not me), but the last test of whether you should pull up is to give your horse 3 sharp smacks behind the leg on the flat to see if you get a response. If there's nothing there then you should pull up even if you only have 1 fence to go.

I think it comes after a few sharp kicks and picking up the reins to take a hold........but it's the order that I'm not quite sure of. If I've got it wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.

FFF

Visit site
I was there but missed a lot of whats happening as the commentry wasnt amazing when I walked the course.

I thought Nicola and Buzz was awesome :D the roar of the crowd coming into the arena was amazing. Fingers crossed for a clear from her tomorrow.

Lenamore, Rayef, Mister Poo and Prada were excellent. LF gave Prada a lovely ride.

Pardon Me II was always fighting, watched her through the quarry and she really strugged to get control but by that time she was already over which was a great shame.
Not surpried OT had trouble (disappointed for him though). ACM hasn't looked quite right since Kentucky. Always leaving legs everywhere, and I think that OT pushing him didn't help. Just a bit hesitent in places.

Saw Emily B over the Hexagon Hedge and Colt Pond and she was going very well so disappointed for her to retire.

Does anyone know if I can watch it online at all? Cant wait til tomorrow now :D :D and hope Ingrid, Camilla, Louise, Karen and Elizabeth and horses are all okay

Would have loved to ride Joseph Murphy's horse round. Looked very pingy and safe.

kerilli

Visit site
some great riding and some shocking riding imho. i thought EL was justified in giving that horse 3 smacks, he could have gone, he has oodles of scope, he's let her down at 4* water a few times before. It wasn't a perfect approach but other riders go away with far worse because their horses were honest and generous.
I hate the way Buck rides.
I thought Marina was the only one of the Germans who rode well, normally i'm a big fan of Ingrid but she was riding much too fast imho, I saw that fall coming about 10 fences before. Ostholt was horrible. I remember Marina the last time she rode at Badders, hope she goes v well tomorrow. Would love Toddy or Nicola and Buzz to win.
I felt so so sorry for Ruth, being held did not help that horse at all, and even though she was doing all she could, he looks the sort who gets suspicious if driven. He could have helped her out.
V sorry for Caroline Ryan-Bell too, was looking great till then.
Aoife Clark is seriously classy.
Ditto some of the YRs.
Buzz was awesome. Interesting that her other horse jumped a bit like Buzz too though.
Toddy did a fabulous job. Fine to wake up a tired horse with a slap, and ride home with hands and heels.
Whoever it was who rode the final gallop stretch as if it was the Grand National finish, not good.
OT's horse is a horrible dangler. I saw that one coming a mile off too, poor Oli didn't deserve that, he was doing a great job out there.
I thought Cinders rode fantastically and that mare was utterly awesome.
Could go on and on. Some stunning horses that I really covet, but some not quite so appealing! Some great riding and some surprisingly bad riding.
I was pleased to hear Pippa and Ian saying about the coffin canter. Shocked me how some riders approached that fence. Oli was clever, obv didn't trust that horse to keep its knees up even at that reasonably early stage... :( :(
Feel desperately sorry for Mandiba, esp if he ran back and fell off the bank because of the airjacket going off (as has been said on COTH). V lucky not to break his back, apparently has a broken rib, poor lad.

you can watch it online at FEI tv, btw.

Chloe_GHE

Visit site
OPPOSITION BUZZ - best round absolute poetry

Vicky Brake - lovely riding never really been on my radar before v impressed

Generally thought there were a lot of falls and a lot of tired horses, but that heat, plus hard going it's to be expected

PARTLY PICKLED - so sad to see him fall but very impressed with the quick treatment to bring him down in temp and make him feel better asap

RuthnMeg

Visit site
Can anyone fill me in on what happened to Elizabeth Power? Hope she is ok - and her horse too.
I am trying to catch up some XC recorded from earlier, missing out chunks due to 'technology blips' ...grrrrr

kerilli

Visit site
Why has oli been eliminated? I missed that.

ACM left a leg for the third and final time at 2nd log of the quarry. luckily they didn't turn over, but horse fell onto nose and belly and OT came off.

Eliz Power had a fall at the sunken road. took them ages to stabilise her on the back board apparently but on the other thread it says she's okay. she was airlifted straight off the course, hence long delay.

elliebean

Visit site
some great riding and some shocking riding imho. i thought EL was justified in giving that horse 3 smacks, he could have gone, he has oodles of scope, he's let her down at 4* water a few times before. It wasn't a perfect approach but other riders go away with far worse because their horses were honest and generous.

Agreed, but that was Emily Baldwin at the Lake-there seems to be a bit of confusion between the 2! I didn't see Emily Llewellyn's round but it sounds like he wasn't an easy ride!

Kokopelli

Visit site
I was watching today it was fab!
There was a horse and rider at the colt pond. The horse had a stumble in the water lost impulsion but carried on with the direct route pretty much from a trot. Such a genuine horse, does anyone know who this was because I missed the riders number?

I think she went on to fall off later on in the course though.