Badminton XC thread

AprilBlossom

Visit site
Aprilblossom I'm glad he didn't belt the horse home - was tired and needed nursing not chasing.

Sorry bad choice of words on my part, I didn't mean it like you interpreted :eek: and when had written that he needed to crack on was before the awkward 'I'm so tired' log... Fair play MT had to work very hard to get him home.

I think if it had been any hotter we'd have seen some seriously uncomfortable horses, glad it wasn't as hot today as yesterday

Supertrooper

Visit site
He looks ok now he's finished and the care they get is amazing and like someone said MT jumped off him straight away

it's been fab posting and watching with you guys so thanks, off to walk dog/bath/tea and re-live nicola wilsons round :) will keep me smiling for days

Cadfael&Coffee

Visit site
Oh I don't think the last few were pretty by any means, but i dont think he was putting the horse at risk by asking them if him- unlike that other bloke whose horse was on the verge of collapse- no HE was lucky to finish.

For the horses sake I hope it fails the vetting tomorrow (not marks)

NinjaPony

Visit site
And people have a go at racing :rolleyes: That horse was absolutely knackered, crawled over a fence and what does he do? Gets stuck into it with his whip AND they all have spurs on. I don't have much problem with eventing, but I have a problem with people who shout about how cruel racing is and they're quite happy to watch this.

Hardly :rolleyes: He gave it 3 smacks, to make sure it got over the fence safely. After that he didn't touch it with his whip. Yes, horse was tired, but not exhausted, and picked up on the dowhill run. Careful riding got him home, and he jumped off straight away to cool him down. Not very pretty, but did the job. This is a young horse, and probably hasn't done a course at this level before.
Now Frank Osholt on the other hand was VERY lucky to get home, and should have pulled up.

superpony

Visit site
Hardly :rolleyes: He gave it 3 smacks, to make sure it got over the fence safely. After that he didn't touch it with his whip. Yes, horse was tired, but not exhausted, and picked up on the dowhill run. Careful riding got him home, and he jumped off straight away to cool him down. Not very pretty, but did the job. This is a young horse, and probably hasn't done a course at this level before.
Now Frank Osholt on the other hand was VERY lucky to get home, and should have pulled up.

Totally agree.

foxyfilly39

Visit site
Bit up and down on here with peoples criticising riders finishing on tired horses, everyone is quick to put down less well know riders finishing on tired horses. But when Toddy does it, he is 'nursing' the horse home, I have nothing against Mark, I hero worship him, but a tired horse is a tired horse, but I agree where are the stewards pulling up these horses.

Alec Swan

Visit site
Six hours, the thick end of two thousand posts. Blimey!!

Mark Todd, not just the doyen of eventing, but he's as good as it gets. A sympathetic, and human ride, on a knackered horse, and guess what? The man's in the lead.

Respect!!

Alec.

CastleMouse

Visit site
What a very 'strange' and rather horrible Badminton this year; I certainly wasn't expecting to see Mark Todd in the lead.

It will be interesting to see how many withdraw before showjumping tomorrow.

Puppy

Visit site
I have to say, I'm gutted that they hardly showed any coverage of Lenamore on course. We had even assumed that he'd been withdrawn, until they showed him right near the end. How lapse not to show last year's Burghley winner... :confused:

marble

Visit site
would just to like to know if the Ground Jury were asleep, or had just not decided to take part in the cross-country today. as I understand it, the rules state that they have the powers to stop any horse on the course if they consider it to be over-ridden, abused or just tired. There were quite a few horses who were a sorry sight at the finish, and more upsetting, obviously tired out trying to jump (or not) the quarry. Could a more knowledgeable person on here tell me why said horses were not stopped?

CastleMouse

Visit site
I have to say, I'm gutted that they hardly showed any coverage of Lenamore on course. We had even assumed that he'd been withdrawn, until they showed him right near the end. How lapse not to show last year's Burghley winner... :confused:
I agree - They didn't show much of the Irish riders either; in fact we didn't see ANY of Michael Ryan's round and he went clear in what will probably be his last Badminton with Old Road.

AFlapjack

Visit site

Me too!! I sat in front of the TV all afternoon to only watch him jump the last!! :mad: :confused:

Katie_B

Visit site
Bit up and down on here with peoples criticising riders finishing on tired horses, everyone is quick to put down less well know riders finishing on tired horses. But when Toddy does it, he is 'nursing' the horse home, I have nothing against Mark, I hero worship him, but a tired horse is a tired horse, but I agree where are the stewards pulling up these horses.

I don't think that is quite true. It was well recognised that Land Vision was very tired but after the quarry he didn't look dangerous and Toddy is such a talented rider than he got the horse back safely. The German rider on the other hand was not riding that sympathetically and the horse was absolutely dead on it's feet, horrible to watch, and he stayed on the horses back for an age after. So I don't think it was a case of him being a less well known rider, just a poorer display of horsemanship.

Katie_B

Visit site
I agree - They didn't show much of the Irish riders either; in fact we didn't see ANY of Michael Ryan's round and he went clear in what will probably be his last Badminton with Old Road.

Agree, I was also very gutted. I suppose they have to appeal to the masses with the really big names, but Lennamore is so popular! I suppose we should just be glad that the BBC show any XC at all...

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
Well my phone has played silly buggers all day and as am on mobile I'm not reading 46 pages!!!

An 'interesting' day that is for sure. I sat at the lake all day and was surprised at how many were knackered at that point never mind the end! Saw camilla's fall which was nasty. Horse was going too fast and despite camilla's best attempts to slow it up it wasn't listening and they went flying. Have a very scary pic of the fall. Has anyone heard news of her or Elizabeth powers?! Or infact any of the horses as well as several were not sound after falls?!

NinjaPony

Visit site
I don't think that is quite true. It was well recognised that Land Vision was very tired but after the quarry he didn't look dangerous and Toddy is such a talented rider than he got the horse back safely. The German rider on the other hand was not riding that sympathetically and the horse was absolutely dead on it's feet, horrible to watch, and he stayed on the horses back for an age after. So I don't think it was a case of him being a less well known rider, just a poorer display of horsemanship.

Exactly. Just what I was trying to say.

marble

Visit site
My bl**dy horse jumped out again just before the last few!! Have read all of the replies and read that Oli fell off due to a very careless ACM. Which jump was this?
Thanks

sorry Shrek, but I think you will find, that it, was a very tired ACM, yes he had dragged a leg a couple of times, but he was tired, and it was at the Quarry, 2nd part.... When he stood up, I could have cried, he looked completely out of it.

kickonchaps

Visit site
Completely agree, should have withdrawn, and I hope the horse has the common sense to trot up a bit TOO stiff tomorrow so he doesn't have to showjump!! If I was Oli I'd also be a little concerned about ACM too, he looks like a major risk for another RF

FFF

Visit site
ACM hasnt looked right since Kentucky imo. Seems a bit hesitant and leaving odd legs when he can't really see the landing side/drops. I think with Oli pushing him hard ealier, he just didn't have time to get his confidence back