Badminton XC thread

fetlock

Visit site
Once the first half hour of carnage was over with and my nerves settled that was thoroughly worth paying the subs for.
I had quite a bit of trouble with the buffering though and for several hours on and off. Only after they lost service altogether briefly and it came back on did the buffering finally stop for me.

Skib

sites.google.com
We mssed all those last rounds as we were summonned to deal with the burglar alarm going off at our daughter's house. I can possibly work out how to replay.

PipsqueakXy22

Visit site
Does anyone know when it will be available for replay? I was working today so didnt get to watch most of it, was going to watch it now but doesn’t seem to be available yet

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Does anyone know when it will be available for replay? I was working today so didnt get to watch most of it, was going to watch it now but doesn’t seem to be available yet
'Later tonight' and 'as quickly as we can' according to a recent update on the Badminton Horse Trials page.

Timings for tomorrow.

51216110-3F15-411D-96C7-402C1CC126D4.jpeg

TPO

Visit site
I didn't buy it because I'm in thr land of no Internet. Reading about how people with good service have struggled I doubt I'd have seen anything.

Just finished reading this thread and it hasn't been pleasant.

I constantly teeter on the edge of the rabbit hole about the ethics of riding and competing horses. The life threatening position that entering Badminton puts horses in sits less and less well with me (a nobody!) each passing year.

We ask too much of them I think.

These are animals you realise? Making courses more complex and technical is one thing for the riders who get to walk it, analyse it, practise elements in isolation they think might come up at a particular event, but my issue with the evolution of eventing over the past 30 odd years is that it’s become grossly unfair on the poor bloody horses.

I agree with these sentiments ?

MuffettMischief

Visit site
I suspect it’s been removed because they are still helping Nicola and it is the fastest way to get the course reopened.

not read all the replies so this may have already been said. I asked a steward why the fence was taken out and he said it was because of Nicolas fall, and that none of the horses before that had jumped it that well. We actually watched all of the horses go through before Nicola (thankfully didn’t see her fall) and he was right, it didn’t seem to be jumping well at all. All bar one before Nicola clattered it or almost left legs

Sandstone1

Visit site
I didn't buy it because I'm in thr land of no Internet. Reading about how people with good service have struggled I doubt I'd have seen anything.

Just finished reading this thread and it hasn't been pleasant.

I constantly teeter on the edge of the rabbit hole about the ethics of riding and competing horses. The life threatening position that entering Badminton puts horses in sits less and less well with me (a nobody!) each passing year.

I agree with these sentiments ?
Me too, I really struggle with the ethics of dangerous horse sports these days. I love horses and ride but do question it more and more.

Squeak

Visit site
Sorry if I’ve missed it but what’s the latest update on Nicola? It was a horrible fall for her.

stangs

Visit site
The course did make uncomfortable viewing at the start but after that rode pretty well, with people altering how they rode the influential combinations.
But surely even one horse getting in a nasty fall like Vitorio Du Montet (even if he wasn't seriously injured), is one horse too many?

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
But surely even one horse getting in a nasty fall like Vitorio Du Montet (even if he wasn't seriously injured), is one horse too many?
Was that the last fence horse? That was a failure of the stewards and rider to pull up rather than the course.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
When you get the likes of Toledo De Kerser being punished for an overly bold jump by a horrible fall in an otherwise fabulous exhibition round, I do question whether I want to continue to follow the sport.

My first Badminton as a spectator was over 50 years ago.
I would agree but I thought he rode it at far too much pace and if he realised his horse was in that mood he could have done the alternative route which didn't include the bounce and was minutely longer. So I would also say rider error.

teapot

Visit site
When you get the likes of Toledo De Kerser being punished for an overly bold jump by a horrible fall in an otherwise fabulous exhibition round, I do question whether I want to continue to follow the sport.

My first Badminton as a spectator was over 50 years ago.

I'd say that horse was punished by rider error not fence. Far far too fast into a bounce. I'd love to hear Lucinda Green's thoughts on that speed and approach...

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I thought it was a good course - 73% completion rate and 63% clear rate is a strong rate as normally closer to 50%.

I think it was a shame about the baskets and not sure why horses didn’t read them well as the ground line was strong but right decision to remove element 3. Tom was scary at the bounce and the horse had no chance. Interesting how everyone rode the fence quieter after that. I thought on the whole horses read the course well and some were rider errors but get 3/4 of the field round is a good result. I actually thought this and Kentucky were very horse friendly especially vs Burghley in 2019 which wasn’t so much and really punished poor riding with the horse suffering.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Yes, but it was a fairly minor error by TM with big consequences for the horse. The rider of the exhausted horse who fell at the last had no such excuses. He should have been stopped on course.
This is a top professional with his eye on the prize. In fact his last xc faults were for a similar reason.

SOS

Visit site
I read in the comments on Facebook that the BBC is showing Badminton all day Monday on the red button… I checked the schedule and it’s true. I wonder what that will be?! If it’s the XC/SJing just not live that will be rather frustrating for us that have paid for Badminton TV but knew we would never be able to watch it live.

Looking at the wording for Badminton TV it does say it’s the only way to watch it LIVE where as I was under the impression it was the only way to watch the full thing at all? :(

Might just be me though!

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Does anyone know when the XC will be available to re-watch on Badminton TV? The dressage was uploaded pretty quick it seemed.
I have been avoiding social media and this thread all day so I can watch it this evening as have been busy, but it just says 'off air' - so I assume it hasn't been uploaded yet?

PipsqueakXy22

Visit site
'Later tonight' and 'as quickly as we can' according to a recent update on the Badminton Horse Trials page.

thanks I’ll keep an eye then, also I know this is thinking very far ahead and slightly off topic) but any idea if Burghley will be on red button or will that be a subscription only too?
I read in the comments on Facebook that the BBC is showing Badminton all day Monday on the red button… I checked the schedule and it’s true. I wonder what that will be?! If it’s the XC/SJing just not live that will be rather frustrating for us that have paid for Badminton TV but knew we would never be able to watch it live.

Looking at the wording for Badminton TV it does say it’s the only way to watch it LIVE where as I was under the impression it was the only way to watch the full thing at all? :(

Might just be me though!

If that’s true I’ll be mad I only paid so
I could watch it and couldn’t even watch it today because of work so I’m still waiting for the replay, might be Monday before I have time now anyway so it would mean I paid for nothing :( will have to wait and see I guess

teapot

Visit site
Does anyone know when the XC will be available to re-watch on Badminton TV? The dressage was uploaded pretty quick it seemed.
I have been avoiding social media and this thread all day so I can watch it this evening as have been busy, but it just says 'off air' - so I assume it hasn't been uploaded yet?

Badminton posted to say they're trying to do it as quickly as possible but with six hours to sort. BBC used to take a while too.