Badminton XC thread

j1ffy

Visit site
Amazing rounds from both Ros and Laura! Ros’ horse looks like a star in the making.

On another note - did anyone else notice the bloke adjusting himself as he walked past the camera behind Ros’ interview?!

Chianti

Visit site
Just came across a load of anti-eventing stuff on Twitter.

I just don’t know what the answer is to keep the sport at true 5* level but being aware of the social licence of horse sport especially now.
I think it's understandable. If you're not a rider and you see video of horses falling over huge obstacles then you'll question why they are being made to do it. I'm a horse owner - non competitive- of 30+ years and I'm not sure I understand any more.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Just catching up via the bbc. That Tom Mcewan fall was horrific, I was shouting ‘take a pull!’ as he approached. Poor horse, not his fault at all.

I do think the issue with eventing is that when the rider or horse makes a mistake, which is going to happen at some point no matter how experienced you are, the consequences can be totally horrific in a way that they aren’t if you make a mistake in a dressage test. Bruised egos vs life changing injuries.

I don’t know what the answer is, I’ve never evented but watch all the horse trials, but I am starting to feel a bit uncomfortable with it. Definitely room for debate.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I feel much more uncomfortable with high level dressage. Though the horse has to show an aptitude for it, it doesn’t seem a great life to me. Even Carl and Charlotte have high attrition. I have friends at GP on average horses and what they do also makes me feel uncomfortable. Eventers at least get a choice because you cannot make a horse jump if it doesn’t want to and they have to be pretty special horses to go to Badminton and achieve MERs along the way to check they are safe. You cannot remove rider error. It’s impossible. That was the highest quality field ever assembled at Badminton. Even at the Olympics we saw rider error and that has been softened considerably to aid the lesser nations when it does go wrong. There are a lot of riders who swerve Badminton - Andrew Hoy and Kevin Mcnab would be two examples so it’s a choice made by riders.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I love Amber and I am putting her at risk by breeding her. Yet another contradiction.

I don't see this as a contradiction, she is doing only what she would have chosen to do if left to her own devices in a herd with a stallion. I've seen horses jump things when turned out for the fun of it, and was told one of my own jumped a course of show jumps on more than one occasion. But I don't think any horse is ever going to jump 4* or 5* fences or GP show jumps for the hell of it.

I think it's understandable. If you're not a rider and you see video of horses falling over huge obstacles then you'll question why they are being made to do it. I'm a horse owner - non competitive- of 30+ years and I'm not sure I understand any more.

I don’t know what the answer is, I’ve never evented but watch all the horse trials, but I am starting to feel a bit uncomfortable with it. Definitely room for debate.

I think international level horse sport has lost its way. It no longer bears any relationship to ordinary horse owning. Horses bred to extremes specifically to reach international level, sold at phenomenal prices that no ordinary mortal will ever afford, with who knows what wastage rates along the way of horses which break down or are completely unsuited to amateur homes, with ever more extreme questions being asked of animals that can't consent to it, for the entertainment and glorification of humans.

I used to love watching it, live and on TV, but I think with the world now able to comment on social media, elite horse sport may have had its day before too long.

Last edited:

blodwyn1

Visit site
The BBC coverage of the cross country was greatly sanitised to exclude the really awful incidents and Nicola Wilson wasn't mentioned till the end. I am not sure if that's right either. I would have thought. What a great competition of I hadn't seen that you tube video which made me feel sick!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I do feel sorry for people who love watching this and racing who want a thread to discuss it with like minded people. I didn't comment before because of that. Is there any way we can work out so this forum can provide that, and have critical discussion on a separate thread? I can't quite see how it can be done without moderation and this forum doesn't have moderation.

ETA, you could support this thread if you agree.

https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/...iscuss-specific-events-like-badminton.818194/

Last edited:

Ambers Echo

Visit site
The BBC coverage of the cross country was greatly sanitised to exclude the really awful incidents and Nicola Wilson wasn't mentioned till the end. I am not sure if that's right either. I would have thought. What a great competition of I hadn't seen that you tube video which made me feel sick!

Given that the public have yet be given any real idea of the extent of Nicola's injuries, I think not showing her fall is a mark of respect for the family. They showed other falls that looked awful, if they involved sigificant riders.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Hope we get some news on Nicola soon, you could tell that Piggy, Tina and co were all very concerned and she is a great rider.

I was impressed by the attitudes of Ros Canter and Piggy March in particular towards their horses, you could really tell that they have a great partnership and a lot of respect for them which is something some other riders could learn from… It was also great to see Pippa Funnell handle her issue with the water; present again, nurse through and then retire on a positive note.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
On a more celebratory note...

We saw some fabulous horsemanship:

- Pippa having an issue at the big drop pond, quietly educating the horse and then taking him home to fight another day
- Kylie Roddy pulling up the very moment that her horse didn't feel right, circling around to check and taking him home despite him being in a competitive position at that point
- Sarah Way making a gutting but sensible decision not to run when she wasn't in the right headspace
- Special admiration for Sammi Birch when stopped just before the footbridge - that is NOT the ideal place to have to get going from a standing start again - nerve-wracking or what?!
- Amanda Pottinger making a quick decision not to turn to the second of the corners when she could feel her horse wasn't with her - despite the time dropping her down the order
- Tamie Smith easing Mai Baum home when he just appeared to be finding the last minute a little tough
- WFP keeping Little Fire's head in the game when he looked pretty spooky and unfocussed for a big chunk of the course
- Jonelle and Classic Moet - 19 years old and looking the absolute picture of health around the XC (also Ringwood Sky Boy for Tim looking great at 19 too - serious longevity!)

We saw some brilliant saves:

- Laura Collett hanging on tight when London 52 left a leg at the quarry - it could have been a v. different result!
- David Doel at the lemieux question (downhill coffin thing) where his horse just picked up and jumped that gaping ditch without any rider input!
- Kitty King holding on for dear life when Vendredi Biats jumped right to the bottom of the slope drop at the lake
- Joris Vanspringel somehow coming back from an impossible neck-hug at that final combination
- Emily Hamel very nearly got wet at the pond - but hung on tight to get that Badminton completion in the bag

Also - poetry in motion awards to Ros Canter on both rides, but particularly Lordships Graffalo, Piggy with Vanir Kamira, Olly with Ballaghmor Class, Austin O' Connor with Colorado Blue, Tamie and Mai Baum, Jonelle and Classic Moet, Ariel Grald and Leamore Master Plan.

And have to mention BRILLIANT first time rides around Badminton for Alice Casburn, Libby Seed and Lauren Innes.

Oh and edited to add - real highlight for me was Piggy commentating on Kitty's round. That sums up the ethos of eventing for me - willing each other to do well over and above what it means for your personal placing.

Fellewell

Visit site
I think the reason xc day is packed to the gunnels is because it's the ultimate skill test for both horse and rider in that they are both totally/equally dependent on each other to get home safe and sound. With the right preparation and a decent jockey they can cruise round the track, ears pricked and sailing over the jumps and still be fresh at the trot up next morning. How is that a bad thing?
Horses enjoy our company, heaven knows why but they do. AR types seem to think that horses would do just fine with no human contact. Anyone with retired horses in more than ample acreage, good rotated grazing, man-made and natural shelter, all needs met, will know that horses are not good at looking after themselves and they can still injure themselves and each other when there isn't a saddle in sight!
I hope Nicola is ok. Some of my fondest memories are of watching her pilot Dodi xc and anyone who says that horse wasn't having a whale of a time wants their bumps felt!

Schollym

Visit site
Will the young lady ( Molly?) whose horse stopped at the water and then proceeded to wallop it three times before putting it at the jump again get reprimanded for It. It was clearly dished out as punishment rather than as encouragement. The horse refused again.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
FWIW the horse could get home safe by itself trotting merrily past all the fences ;) just as they do when the rider tips off!

I do think a lot of this comes down to your perception of the horse/human relationship. i love my retirees but they aren't that fussed about me unless they think i have treats... and touch wood are largely self sufficient, they are part breds tho and would do quite well without any input at all i reckon.

BBP

Visit site
I've seen horses jump things when turned out for the fun of it, and was told one of my own jumped a course of show jumps on more than one occasion. But I don't think any horse is ever going to jump 4* or 5* fences or GP show jumps for the hell of it.

I have seen one horse running at what was then 3* in NZ, who went well and truly underwater at the first part of a water combination, ditching his rider and got up facing perpendicular to the line he had been on. He got up, shook the water out of his ears, turned 90degrees, found his line, popped into trot, up the step out of the water, one stride to a big log, down into the second part of the water complex, kept his line through and cantered out over the final element and galloped off to the next fence. Never seen anything like it. He could have exited the lake at any other point, and the lorry park was to one side across a field so he wasn’t heading to us. But I appreciate that was a pretty unique horse!

fankino04

Visit site
I have seen one horse running at what was then 3* in NZ, who went well and truly underwater at the first part of a water combination, ditching his rider and got up facing perpendicular to the line he had been on. He got up, shook the water out of his ears, turned 90degrees, found his line, popped into trot, up the step out of the water, one stride to a big log, down into the second part of the water complex, kept his line through and cantered out over the final element and galloped off to the next fence. Never seen anything like it. He could have exited the lake at any other point, and the lorry park was to one side across a field so he wasn’t heading to us. But I appreciate that was a pretty unique horse!
When we were at the vicarage v on Saturday there was a loose horse that set itself up on a pretty good line to jump it but then thought better of it when it got a better look but it does go to show that after losing the rider the horse still wanted to continue their day of cross country, until they realised what badminton fences are all about that was lol.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The thrills and spills Badminton 2022 you tube video linked to earlier in this thread seems to have been taken down.

Such videos have their place, but including the clip of Nicola Wilson's fall was in very poor taste and should not have happened. Though I don't know if that is what led to the video being taken down.

teapot

Visit site
Will the young lady ( Molly?) whose horse stopped at the water and then proceeded to wallop it three times before putting it at the jump again get reprimanded for It. It was clearly dished out as punishment rather than as encouragement. The horse refused again.

Potentially. The yellow card list will be updated at some point in next week or so. Will depend on how it was viewed in situ, not a week later etc.