Bank Holiday Weekend Thread

Peglo

Visit site
@TPO and @Sheep sending healing vibes

I hacked Tali over to a friends sand school to try out a dressage test. On the way a pick up went past and I didn’t realise it was towing a boat. We both got a bit of a surprise but was fine. Then right after a motor bike came up behind us. We’ve not passed a bike on the road yet so after the shock of the boat she worked herself up a bit. We got into a lay-by and got turned round to face it and she was ok. We had also spotted our trip babysitter heading to the sand school so at this point Tali felt like an elastic band ready to ping at any point.

we got to the sand school and after a bit of walking around she started getting a bit nappy. But as soon as I set her to work on practicing the dressage test she settled and listened so well. I was really chuffed with her. We walked for a bit after and she was getting a bit impatient again and threw in a buck (she’s got a lovely buck to sit to thankfully ?) so my friend got me cantering her around the school and we popped a proper (low) jump in canter several times and it was so fab. She hasn’t done any jumping before so I’m chuffed she seems to enjoy it. I’m going to need to keep this girls mind working when I’m the school I think.

so after all that rambling I must learn the dressage test for next weekend. My first ever dressage. They run a league here so i will get to re-do this test throughout the summer and see how/if we improve.

best of luck to those out competing this weekend.

Chippers1

Visit site
I'm at a hunter trial on Sun :) only doing the 60cm class as we've not cross country'd in the pelham yet so keeping it low so we can figure it out! It's also an Eland qualifier which is nice. It's a new place I haven't been to before so should be exciting. Going with his best friend (who is doing the 70) so I hope he behaves himself and doesn't nap back to him!

Have good weekends everyone.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm going to continue

enjoying having people to say good morning to and no stable duties

finding novel ways to mix up the three loops of the six miles of farm ride, free of high vis and revelling in knowing that there won't be any traffic round the next corner.

popping a few tiny xc fences to teach Ludo to jump. Early signs are that he's an absolute natural, with a great technique.

Roxylola

Visit site
So, now I've stopped sulking about my times, I've actually got quite a busy weekend Bon got a last minute space on a jump clinic locally - focus apparently is riding good lines. I'm generally not bad at that, but he's wobbly and just stringing fences together will be fun.
Eland on sunday he schooled round nicely last weekend, a dc would be nice but I expect we will have time.
Monday is quieter, just a bit of teaching

Michen

Visit site
Withdrawing from Munstead as I don’t think trotting quietly round pairs is that realistic for Bog on hard ground and also we think Bear could benefit from a little more experience before going.

So Bear is going xc schooling again sat (thank god for Sandy tweseldown) after it didn’t go exactly to plan. I was probably expecting a bit much as Bog went out first time and acted like he’d been doing it his whole life, in fact I think he’s only ever stopped at one xc fence ever and it was rider error.

Bear was a proper baby about it all!

Both are going to the gallops tonight , ground too hard argh!

Michen

Visit site
So, now I've stopped sulking about my times, I've actually got quite a busy weekend Bon got a last minute space on a jump clinic locally - focus apparently is riding good lines. I'm generally not bad at that, but he's wobbly and just stringing fences together will be fun.
Eland on sunday he schooled round nicely last weekend, a dc would be nice but I expect we will have time.
Monday is quieter, just a bit of teaching

Good luck, have a fab time! I’m jealous! Xx

Michen

Visit site
I'm going to continue

enjoying having people to say good morning to and no stable duties

finding novel ways to mix up the three loops of the six miles of farm ride, free of high vis and revelling in knowing that there won't be any traffic round the next corner.

popping a few tiny xc fences to teach Ludo to jump. Early signs are that he's an absolute natural, with a great technique.

Just wait until you come full circle and start to miss the morning stable duties ??

Bernster

Visit site
Sorry to hear about those that aren’t well.

I had a fright after munstead last week with Finn having a puffy leg which took a few days to settle, so I’ll be more careful now running on harder ground (it didn’t seem that bad at the time or I wouldn’t have done it ofc). So it will be a quiet weekend for me. Finn is resting up. I’ll hack Bertie and do some jumping in the school. It’s too small to do much but I need to practise at home before I’m ready to try another outing. He’s not been bad but I’m a bit wary after our last two xc outings when he was nappy, and v anxious. We need to build our partnership a bit more.

Reacher

Visit site
Good luck to everyone competing

@TPO - eew that looks nasty, healing vibes to you and also @Sheep

Lesson practicing dressage test tonight as am entered in an unaff ODE on BH Monday (also got an early start ) - first ODE I have done in years - already getting nervous guts ?though we did the sj and XC at that course last summer and he went like a pro , so it’s just me that needs to be on the ball !

dorsetladette

Visit site
Sorry to hear of broken ponies - speedy recovery to all.

Everyone doing something enjoy!

B is recovering well. He seems to have reverted back to his behaviour of about 10yrs ago. He is adamant I've starved him for the last 2 weeks.

We're taking Robin to a local charity show on Sunday. He's run pretty feral all winter so currently resembles a thelwell with serious attitude. I thin this afternoon and tomorrow are going to be spent taming his mane and his opinion. His class is full apparently so 15 entries. He's currently standing at about 12.2hh so will probably be the smallest in the youngstock class and the large breed M&M class. But I bet he has the biggest personality - the judge is sure to remember his swagger - I just pray its for the right reasons.

Alibear

Visit site
@TPO and @Sheep, I hope both horses heal up nicely, and I hope everyone who is going out and about has a great weekend.
I'm hacking with Amber's best buddy tonight; lesson tomorrow, the new bit has lost a little of its shine but still seems better, and then seeing what Sun/Mon brings.
I picked up my trailer from servicing at lunchtime, so that's all set; we have a busy June ahead of us.
Also, our closest Western Venue has been posting some cryptic messages about an announcement at 8 pm this evening, so waiting to see what that is.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I’m in Skye and Lochalsh. My horse has flattened my friend who was bringing him in yesterday because he apparently freaked out when she chucked a headcollar on the ground near him. Says that’s what she does when she has more than one to catch. I never do that because I think it’s dodgy to have headcollars on the ground near loose horses, even if they are the brokest of dead broke. So he’s not used to it (although I drop other items of tack around him all the time so I didn’t think he had an issue). I know he has drama queen moments under saddle but he’s been a dream to handle from the ground. No trouble whatsoever for eight months. I’m baffled and a wee bit dismayed.

At the end of the day, my friend is fine and horse is fine.

Screw it. Here’s the Cuillin.
B97AF1CF-6541-44CE-AA7F-CD755EDF6755.jpeg

Last edited:

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Little video from our lesson today, super proud of my Spanish Potato! Introducing her to new things now, a pipe underneath the jump and a spread. To help her keep finding it easy we walk over it each time after jumping (take the top pole off first haha). When she finds things difficult she can lose confidence in herself and decide not to do it anymore so this helps to keep her confidence up.

I'm still in a dressage saddle which makes it not that easy for me, still on the hunt for a jump saddle ?.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Gorgeous Pic Caol Ila. I can understand why you are upset but in the end horses are horses and can do random things. Sounds like she just spooked him and he jumped the wrong way. It could have been the same spook in a different direction and would have been no big deal.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Aye, horses are horses. I was more dismayed when she texted “I am being kind in blaming myself,” and then told me how much she trusts her horse and can drop anything around his feet. Um, cool? I’m glad the horse you’ve owned for 15 years is more reliable than the one I got 8 months ago?

Last edited:

GinaGeo

Visit site
Had a fabulous dressage lesson with Pod this morning. He’s feeling loads stronger and also a lot more rideable.

He approves of his new plastic, baby bit. So that’s one thing less to worry about!

Had the second potential sharer to come and look at Mickey this morning and one more to go. Trying to make sure I limit expectations and fully explain the situation and why I need them at this stage. I figure if I don’t manage to scare them off at this stage that they’re genuinely keen and that the situation will suit them ?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
XC schooling today, we actually did some cantering to fences as the ground was OK!

He was a champ. Did stuff we have not done before. Was so polite and content.

We did a bit, then had a rest and a snack while the others did a lot more (the others have done events etc, so weren't pure babies).

Did tyres for the first time, a hedge-line for the first time, light into dark for the first time, a jump (well, log) in front of water for the first time and cantering straight to a ditch (as in not walk or trotting first) for the first time too.

I loved how I could dismount and video others while they galloped around, no fuss.

Lifted a couple of photos from the video.

279387739_10222288720270902_7079234968089316178_n.jpg

279111858_10222288725751039_2143834419665203673_n.jpg