Bank Holiday Weekend Thread

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Had a fab time XC schooling today. Much better behaviour than last time. We are still getting the odd sideways dive but reducing. I just need to remember to really keep my leg on, hard when you’re on a hot horse, but he needs it for those moments he’s not sure. But when I did remember to put it on he was flying!

Fingers crossed we’ve cracked ditches now as was flying them all first time with no hesitation. Skinnies are a work in progress. Bigger corners are an issue but I would guess that’s me not him, I absolutely hate them and so probably not riding them to give him confidence.

Didn’t get much video but here’s a little bit!

Didn’t have the balls to tackle the bigger trakhener today but needn’t have worried, Pepsi thinks we should just jump that height anyway
1B113C6A-FA74-48C4-9297-FEFD161A68FA.jpeg

Roxylola

Visit site
Woo flying!
Bon was a good lad today at his clinic, he's got such massive scope but we're trying to just trot and pop. Which is fine but he's also got massively long legs and has learned how to treat them as raised trot poles. Which is also fine, I'm just not quite sure how big its going to have to get before he starts to actually jump ?
Meanwhile Charlie was taking some time to have a spa treatment ?Screenshot_20220430-205931_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220430-205936_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220430-205901_Gallery.jpg

blood_magik

Visit site
We’re heading down to the Borders for a change today.

Not my favourite test (AM92) so aiming for relaxation and consistency in the trot work and changes more than anything else - he’s come out feeing super hot the last few days so hoping yesterday’s looong session has done the trick and he’ll be slightly less enthusiastic in the warmup ?

Nothing much planned for the other two. NV’s saddle still isn’t quite right so waiting on the saddler coming out to sort it, and Blue’s just coming back into work after 3 consecutive sick notes (hocks, caught his mouth on something and bit through his lip, bruised foot). Think he’s only been sat on about 5 times this month ?

scats

Visit site
Evening hack last night with Millie and she was quite ridiculous, though a few times I was very impressed by her ability to get over her fear and carry on (after slamming on and refusing to move, with her ears up my nostrils and her heart hammering). Unfortunately she had one major meltdown over a man in his garden and I had to hop off to get past, as she had decided to attempt to sit on a parked car and any attempt to dissuade her were met by the threat of a Millie special and given that the last one landed me on the floor with concussion, I thought better of it!
Hopped back on a few metres past the offending man and all was ok again with the world, until she saw a rag in the gutter on the way home and had another epic meltdown, but fortunately I was able to stay aboard for that one.
Arrived home safely anyhow. If I could stick her on a psychiatrists couch, I would!
5563785E-481F-4188-9CA9-2CEA729D21BD.jpeg

Roxylola

Visit site
Advantages to an early start - we are done and on our way home already ?
We had a very jolly dressage - cantered the second centre line ? I usually rattle him a bit so he doesn't go flat as we go in. Today I rattled him but he also spotted ponies over the hedge going to showjumping and lit up a bit too much. 33.5 in a section where so far the highest score has been a 30 so I'm happy to take that.
Showjumping, we had a quick work in - popped 3 fences and were ready to go. Nicely over the first 2, got a bit messy at 3 and 4 which was a related distance and then about jumped me out the plate over 5 (banged my chin and everything) saved it and finished on 8 faults which is again absolutely fine. This was a bit of an early event in terms of training and fitness for us so I was here more for a training round than to be super competitive.
Brilliant xc round, had 13 time which I'd expected but he stormed round and had a fab time ??

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
Lots of fun outings for people!
Bob was off to Cirencester yesterday fir the advanced! Came out very hot for the dressage! Not his best test but he's getting there. He's not the biggest mover so always going to struggle a bit. IMG-20220501-WA0002.jpg
Then showjumping, lots of poles falling when we got there but jumped a lovely round for just one plus one time!
And cross country seemed to be causing plenty of problems too! Not that easy to watch there. A cheeky run out at the water while rider forgot to ride him for the last element!
Very pleased with how he's come out this season, only his third advanced!
And today the baby horse is out express eventing so keeping my fingers crossed for good behaviour!

Chippers1

Visit site
Came 3rd in the hunter trial today out of 22 so I'm very pleased! Although the jumps were really quite small (or maybe I'm getting braver...) I'm glad I did the smaller class as he was eyeing some of them up suspiciously so it was easy to push him over them. Such a good boy, I'm so proud of him, he had many opportunities to do his famous Buzz stop but he jumped everything nicely despite it being a busy and spooky course.
He went well in his pelham too, I'm not sure if roundings might be the way forward though as it is a lot of rein!

We also qualified for the Eland 50cm championship in September ?

Last edited:

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
1st competition of the year for my horse and small blonde rider (I'm "large" blonde rider ?). They were in the equivalent of prelim because she's newer to dressage and wasn't quite sure if she'd be ready for the next level, but they got a 73% which earned them 4th place (really close at the top) out of 28 He handled ribbons flailing and the chaotic group victory gallop well.

Today they ventured into the 80cm (his first ever) and didn't place but it was a good experience for him. The warmup was full of thrills and spills, 2 rider falls, 1 loose horse, horses running forwards and backwards, bucking, and other shenanigans. He just went around like a slow and relaxed dressage horse ? it was good for his education to be in his first jumping warm up and stay calm through all of the crazy. Normally our dressage warm ups are crowded, but not this exciting!

On course he stopped at the first fence, which I sort of predicted. You have to ride 100% to the first few fences, then he just stops looking at them and finds his groove. So they regrouped, jumped the first fence and continued their course. They would've had a good score if it weren't for that (style jumping), but I'm just pleased that they made it through the whole course. He's can be odd and spooky, so I never imagined him jumping a course at a competition..or at all. I think the kinks can be worked out and he'll be solid at 80cm. Generally I have no issues with him but I amp him up a bit more to get his confidence and energy up.

Physio tomorrow and then back at it on Wednesday. Overall a good weekend and his rider learned a bit - which is the purpose here; for him to be a learning horse for her. He'll be back to "suffering" with me this week ? because I make him work on the harder stuff. ?

Also, no one really braids forelocks but I think it shows off his nice face and from the side it really highlights his noble Spanish head ? had to zoom in to cut out some people.

Screenshot_20220501-180935_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Sheep

Visit site
Had a lesson today which was fab - down at a local-ish spot that has a couple of nice schoolmasters. I was riding a lovely older gent who had gone up to medium, which matched nicely as really I wanted to get the feel of refining the novice stuff and get more of a feel of the elem movements.
Really enjoyed it, horse was very sweet and had a beautiful canter, really responsive to the seat aids too. Lovely way to spend a Sunday!

GinaGeo

Visit site
Pod went for a quick XC school again this morning. Very good boy so we weren’t there long. He’s really starting to enjoy the job now. It’s taken awhile to convince him he doesn’t need to snort at everything first.

And then took mum on a long promised new hack. I mapped it months ago, we just haven’t had the time to go and do it. A88FB0E7-E7F5-48AE-A05F-6B5DE7E57C04.jpeg

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Almost a brilliant day at Eland - still could be a brilliant day at Eland….

Much calmer dressage - mostly - with a few 7s and the odd 4/5 for 38. My horse whisperer dentist told me to talk to her and explain what I wanted from her so I asked for ‘just 4 calm, sensible minutes please’. Ears were flicking back to me so perhaps she was listening!

Much better SJ too. Rider just before me fell off then couldn’t catch her horse. I turned Lottie away and kept our backs to the ring. Didn’t want to give her any ideas ? Lovely clear. Happy with a much more positive but controlled round. I felt I was lucky at Northallerton not to have faults but felt like I earned this one.

Then XC. A sterner test at Eland with an island that you have to jump off over a ditch, a fairly narrow corner and a mahoosive hedge with a ditch in front that makes full use of the ‘brush rule’. Took the direct route at both black flagged options and Lottie was faultless. So bold and confident. Towards the end of the course I locked onto a 90 fence before realising snd circling away which they gave me 20 pens for - which is really annoying as I did not present to the 80 fence. In fact I couldn’t even get to it from where I was.

So DC but a run out on paper. And most annoyingly I don’t get my 2 points towards qualifying. I’ve emailed Eland so we shall see…

No pics as I was on my own today. Well apart from this one!!
4FB14D12-A308-4654-8ED2-20E25338F236.jpeg

Caol Ila

Visit site
My horse whisperer dentist told me to talk to her and explain what I wanted from her so I asked for ‘just 4 calm, sensible minutes please’. Ears were flicking back to me so perhaps she was listening!

I like that. Might try it.

Stopped at yard on way back from Kintail and managed a hack. Foinavon was absolutely fine. Acting the same as always. Who knows what went down on Thursday. Wish I had a tame horse whisperer!

teapot

Visit site
Lessons yesterday were a bit chalk and cheese.

Used the group to warm the body up, couple of good exercises, and horse improved. He's not one of my faves, and aside from lesson last year where previous coach had a tantrum in, I've not sat on him since 2020. He's sweet though and gave me some nice work by the end. I'm not a massive group lesson fan, so stuck my supervised schooling hat on. Probably for the best too as the others weren't exactly friendly or cheerful? :confused:

Private was great though - second time on the big bugger and was allowed my spurs too which made a life a little easier. There was a lot more going on around arena so even more effort required to keep his brain engaged. Achieved far better work in all three paces, though struggled with his ridiculously large vast canter transition, did some pole work which left me asking how CDJ sits a PSG test for ten minutes :oops: and coach said I'd got him to where a staff member had got to the day before so took that as a huge positive. :)

HashRouge

Visit site
Had a fab time XC schooling today. Much better behaviour than last time. We are still getting the odd sideways dive but reducing. I just need to remember to really keep my leg on, hard when you’re on a hot horse, but he needs it for those moments he’s not sure. But when I did remember to put it on he was flying!

Fingers crossed we’ve cracked ditches now as was flying them all first time with no hesitation. Skinnies are a work in progress. Bigger corners are an issue but I would guess that’s me not him, I absolutely hate them and so probably not riding them to give him confidence.

Didn’t get much video but here’s a little bit!

Didn’t have the balls to tackle the bigger trakhener today but needn’t have worried, Pepsi thinks we should just jump that height anyway
View attachment 91852
Goodness he's got some scope, hasn't he?!

blood_magik

Visit site
Survived our outing - he went a bit spooky on me down the first centre line but (surprisingly) managed to keep himself together for the trot work. Changes are letting us down but we managed a 3% improvement on the last attempt at this particular test so I guess we’re kind of going in the right direction. ?‍♀️?

Score was pretty dire but we another sheet towards our second AF qualification so I shouldn’t really complain. ?

711A91AF-1FFE-4036-8377-65281A2DB76B.jpeg

Easy day for Raz tomorrow as 1) he felt tired after his test and 2) I need to go drop paperwork and a sales receipt off at Henry’s new owner’s yard ?

Bernster

Visit site
Roxy - that’s so funny cos he looks like he’s doing a perfectly normal jump, with the rider performing a totally uncalled for faceplant ?.

Roxylola

Visit site
Roxy - that’s so funny cos he looks like he’s doing a perfectly normal jump, with the rider performing a totally uncalled for faceplant ?.
Video is even better, he just carries on regardless before during and after. I'll see if his owner has posted it publicly so I can share. It was just a silly miss - I said flyer, he said no let's wait...

J_sarahd

Visit site
I was at Eland too! Not competing as I got back from holiday on Saturday but grooming/supporting two friends in the 70. Sadly they both fell off in the cross country.

Today we are at arena hire as I have another ode at the end of May.