Barefoot transition thread/journal

ponyparty

Visit site
When I took my boy’s shoes off the first time, it took about 5-6 months for his feet to start looking really good - and his feet were in a much better starting place than your boy’s! So do give it time. My boy was still footy though, even though his feet looked great - it was the grass, I realise now, he’s metabolic and SO grass sensitive it’s unreal. If only I’d moved him somewhere suitable then and persevered... things might be a lot different now. Anyway, that aside, do persevere with the search for hoof boots. They are expensive but once you’ve got the right ones, much cheaper than being shod every 6 weeks (or less in my boy’s case... and extra for remedial farriery ?). When I had his shoes pulled for the second time, I was absolutely gutted at how crushed his heels were, how deep the central sulcus again, and how long his toes were, even though they hadn’t seemed long in shoes?! To my eye anyway. I could kick myself for being pressured into putting shoes back on him! All that rehab time, wasted and back to square one! ?

Mule

Visit site
When I took my boy’s shoes off the first time, it took about 5-6 months for his feet to start looking really good - and his feet were in a much better starting place than your boy’s! So do give it time. My boy was still footy though, even though his feet looked great - it was the grass, I realise now, he’s metabolic and SO grass sensitive it’s unreal. If only I’d moved him somewhere suitable then and persevered... things might be a lot different now. Anyway, that aside, do persevere with the search for hoof boots. They are expensive but once you’ve got the right ones, much cheaper than being shod every 6 weeks (or less in my boy’s case... and extra for remedial farriery ?). When I had his shoes pulled for the second time, I was absolutely gutted at how crushed his heels were, how deep the central sulcus again, and how long his toes were, even though they hadn’t seemed long in shoes?! To my eye anyway. I could kick myself for being pressured into putting shoes back on him! All that rehab time, wasted and back to square one! ?
I hate the idea of his hooves deteriorating. Were you able to keep your boy barefoot after you realised about the grass sensitivity?

Mule

Visit site
Got up on the beast this morning. I don't know what came over me but I said I'd try it and see how he was. He strolled around no bother and even decided to go over a line of cavaletti. Considering he hadn't had anyone on him for four and a half months, if he was comfortable he would have marched around the place so I got off.

I trotted him around with a lunge whip to have a look at him. Although he trotted without much prompting, his step is quite low so he's being careful. He is fine walking in hand on a roughish surfaced road now (thanks to hoof armour on his bad hoof) So from the look of things he should be fine to be ridden in hoof boots :) All that remains is to find a pair that fit.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Got up on the beast this morning. I don't know what came over me but I said I'd try it and see how he was. He strolled around no bother and even decided to go over a line of cavaletti. Considering he hadn't had anyone on him for four and a half months, if he was comfortable he would have marched around the place so I got off.

I trotted him around with a lunge whip to have a look at him. Although he trotted without much prompting, his step is quite low so he's being careful. He is fine walking in hand on a roughish surfaced road now (thanks to hoof armour on his bad hoof) So from the look of things he should be fine to be ridden in hoof boots :) All that remains is to find a pair that fit.
Good start. As his heels gradually move back you will probably find that the flare at the quarters gets less and his feet start to be a more standard shape for the boots :) If you get the Hoof Armour on all his hooves he might fancy walking out on the roads with you on him

ponyparty

Visit site
I hate the idea of his hooves deteriorating. Were you able to keep your boy barefoot after you realised about the grass sensitivity?

Due to other issues he had and treatment being paid for by insurance claim(s), I felt I had to follow vet advice to put shoes back on. I am kicking myself now; if I knew what I know now I never would have.

Shoeing also masks footiness due to grass sensitivity so in hindsight it was quite dangerous as it potentially masked early warning signs of laminitis.

I pulled his shoes again in November 2019; he went away to track rehab livery in December; after his first trim he walked away lifting his hinds as of he was wearing travel boots, getting accustomed to not having great long toes..! He’s staying there for at least 6 months, or just until his feet come right - however long that takes. If he’s still nowhere near sound enough to ride after 12 months, or he has any arthritic or metabolic flare ups, I will pts as he’s just so complicated to manage.

Mule

Visit site
Ok bad news, it's the end of the road? I heard back from the hoof boutique and urban hoof today.
No hoof boots are going to fit him properly. The boot companies I contacted directly were of the same opinion. The width to length measurement is too disparate (18mm in one hoof). I looked in to customs but can't afford them.
He has hoof armour on all four hooves now and he still isn't right ridden.

He may well come sound to be ridden carefully without boots, eventually but I'm not willing to give him more time off. I also want to gallop and jump and go hacking on rutted trails up mountains.

I've texted the farrier to see if he has anymore ideas but if not, I'm going to re-shoe. All I can think of is to give him a twice yearly break from shoes and also remove them whenever his heels start becoming uneven.

Last edited:

Mule

Visit site
One particularly useful thing I've learned is that uneven heels are the cause of his one- sidedness and trouble with vertical flexion (and lateral to a lesser degree). It answers so many questions about our dressage difficulties (my poor little mule wasn't physically able for what I was asking him). So as soon as we get uneven heels, the shoes will come off and no dressage until he's even again.

So anyway, that's my tale of woe. I'll see what the farrier comes up with ?
He'll be as disappointed as I am.
Anyway, I suppose you can't win them all. Thanks everyone for all your help and support :)

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
One particularly useful thing I've learned is that uneven heels are the cause of his one- sidedness and trouble with vertical flexion (and lateral to a lesser degree). It answers so many questions about our dressage difficulties (my poor little mule wasn't physically able for what I was asking him). So as soon as we get uneven heels, the shoes will come off and no dressage until he's even again.

So anyway, that's my tale of woe. I'll see what the farrier comes up with ?
He'll be as disappointed as I am.
Anyway, I suppose you can't win them all. Thanks everyone for all your help and support :)

Not all doom and gloom. I applaud your decision to keep him comfortable and enjoy him this summer. I also applaud taking them off again when you are able, and, as I said up-thread, you will be in a better place next time as you will have gained this time.

Mule

Visit site
Not all doom and gloom. I applaud your decision to keep him comfortable and enjoy him this summer. I also applaud taking them off again when you are able, and, as I said up-thread, you will be in a better place next time as you will have gained this time.
Thank you :)

Floofball

Visit site
It’s very difficult isn’t it. Due to the horrible storms I let diets slide a little, to try and keep them happy, my boy hasn’t put too much weight on but I was becoming increasingly concerned that I wasn’t going to be able to balance doing the miles needed to keep weight down and manage his diet/quality of life while the grass is now coming through. After realising I was seriously considering reshoeing, I looked into track livery. It seems like a really good solution to get him through the transitioning phase, condition his feet and hopefully get weight off at the same time. I have actually got a place for him and was all geared up to take him next week. Thought I was doing the best possible thing for him to give him the best chance BUT now, due to sensible precautions re Coronavirus, the yard has decided to not allow non-essential visits. If I take him I may not see him for the duration of his stay (minimum stay is 3 months) Really not sure what to do in these uncertain times ? he will have the best care and hopefully benefit tremendously from his stay but I‘m not sure I can wave goodbye to him? It’s either take him and miss him like mad or get the muzzles out, start soaking hay and micromanaging him again. The best thing for him is to go but for me??? Really undecided - help! What would you guys do in these unprecedented times?

I have 2 loo rolls for anyone with good advice ?

Mule

Visit site
It’s very difficult isn’t it. Due to the horrible storms I let diets slide a little, to try and keep them happy, my boy hasn’t put too much weight on but I was becoming increasingly concerned that I wasn’t going to be able to balance doing the miles needed to keep weight down and manage his diet/quality of life while the grass is now coming through. After realising I was seriously considering reshoeing, I looked into track livery. It seems like a really good solution to get him through the transitioning phase, condition his feet and hopefully get weight off at the same time. I have actually got a place for him and was all geared up to take him next week. Thought I was doing the best possible thing for him to give him the best chance BUT now, due to sensible precautions re Coronavirus, the yard has decided to not allow non-essential visits. If I take him I may not see him for the duration of his stay (minimum stay is 3 months) Really not sure what to do in these uncertain times ? he will have the best care and hopefully benefit tremendously from his stay but I‘m not sure I can wave goodbye to him? It’s either take him and miss him like mad or get the muzzles out, start soaking hay and micromanaging him again. The best thing for him is to go but for me??? Really undecided - help! What would you guys do in these unprecedented times?

I have 2 loo rolls for anyone with good advice ?
I don't honestly know, but I didn't want to read and say nothing. Maybe one consideration would be finances with the coming recession. If you need to be careful then not paying for livery would make sense. Another thing is whether you're ok to do the micromanaging. Have you the time for it. It's such a shame about visiting restrictions, particularly as you don't know how long they will go on for.

Mule

Visit site
I rode him properly for the first time today. He hadn't been ridden in 5 months and he just happily strolled around :D

He's so nice to ride now. I think it's due to his hoof bulbs becoming even. They improved after a couple of months of him being barefoot.
He was always very one sided and found it difficult to flex. I didn't know why, until I noticed the change when the shoes were pulled.

I'm looking forward to schooling without spending 90% of the time focussing on suppleness! I can't believe I didn't cop on to it being a physical problem until recently ?‍♀️

Last edited:

Mule

Visit site
In light of my experience, it would be interesting to talk to physios about barefoot. I'd be curious to see if they have noticed beneficial outcomes.

I can see 3D printing becoming a big thing for hoof boots in the future. It would be ideal for hoof shapes like the beast's.

Last edited:

PurBee

Visit site
In light of my experience, it would be interesting to talk to physios about barefoot. I'd be curious to see if they have noticed beneficial outcomes.

I can see 3D printing becoming a big thing for hoof boots in the future. It would be ideal for hoof shapes like the beast's.
That is such an excellent idea! The boots would fit perfectly and the perspex/plastic 3-d printing stuff would offer protection and flexibility while being a ‘throw away’ boot, after the hooves change shape. Wow...that idea is a great innovation and has mileage as a business venture Mule!
Have you seen the videos on youtube of the 3-d printing conventions? They 3-d print food, clothes, human footwear...its incredible technology ?

Mule

Visit site
That is such an excellent idea! The boots would fit perfectly and the perspex/plastic 3-d printing stuff would offer protection and flexibility while being a ‘throw away’ boot, after the hooves change shape. Wow...that idea is a great innovation and has mileage as a business venture Mule!
Have you seen the videos on youtube of the 3-d printing conventions? They 3-d print food, clothes, human footwear...its incredible technology ?
I haven't seen any of the videos, I don't really know much about 3D printing. It sounds pretty exciting though.

Last edited:

PurBee

Visit site
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

hopefully the above video will play for you....its not working atm for me.

it shows the complexity and variety of materials available to 3d print.
A 3-d digital rendering of a horses hoof would be needed in order for the designer to make a perfect fit wrap around boot To 3–d print. Its such a great idea! Amazed the equine world isnt onto it already.

Mule

Visit site
Just read your post as I'm starting the journey to barefoot. Did you put shoes back on in the end?
Hi, I did put them back on. It was the right decision for him as he's much happier. He's galloping about playing with the other gelding again.

I will always give him a couple of months out of shoes over the winter to try to keep his hooves in good shape.

*Something else occurred to me after I put the shoes back on. He was born in a rescue centre to a mare that died a few weeks afterwards. Both he and his dam are unlikely to have had proper nutrition before he was born. That may have had an effect on things like hoof health.

Last edited:

Orangehorse

Visit site
My horse was barefoot and completely sound for a couple of years, but the upkeep and what was happening in my life made me put shoes back on, and my trimmer fully understood and was sympathic.

So he has been shod, until 6 weeks ago when farrier removed the shoes.

I am itching to get the rasp out and just rasp round his toes! I used to do this when under one trimmer who was very relaxed about it, but his feet are sort of OK but a bit chipped and one foot definitely looks longer than the other and is a slightly different shape.

When he first went barefoot his feet changed enormously, and went from being noticeablely pigeon toed to nearly normal, it was fascinating to see how his hoof "moved"

So do I get the rasp out?

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
My horse was barefoot and completely sound for a couple of years, but the upkeep and what was happening in my life made me put shoes back on, and my trimmer fully understood and was sympathic.

So he has been shod, until 6 weeks ago when farrier removed the shoes.

I am itching to get the rasp out and just rasp round his toes! I used to do this when under one trimmer who was very relaxed about it, but his feet are sort of OK but a bit chipped and one foot definitely looks longer than the other and is a slightly different shape.

When he first went barefoot his feet changed enormously, and went from being noticeablely pigeon toed to nearly normal, it was fascinating to see how his hoof "moved"

So do I get the rasp out?
I would. You don't need to take much off. I've just sent off for a new rasp to deal with mine. I've not been riding during the lockdown and his hooves have grown like weeds and are so hard with the dry weather the rasp I normally use is barely touching them. I rode him a couple of times for the first time last week to give them a bit of a council trim but they need a bit of work on them.

Last edited:

HeresHoping

Visit site
Fascinating story. It took my EMS girl nearly three years to come completely comfortable bare foot. She's hopping lame now with a mahoosive bruise.

OH - get the rasp out. :)

I have a range of 3D printing technologies at my finger tips. For plastics and composites. I also see custom hoof boots as a possible application. However, I'm not sure how robust our materials are going to be - we're probably better off vac casting in a semi-rigid rubber for the base. Anyone wanting to explore this further, please do get in touch with me.

Floofball

Visit site
While people are still posting on this thread I thought I’d give a little update on my lad. I thought we were sailing through the transition then the long dry spell came! Cue feet starting to crack and self trim a bit too quickly. I am getting him used to boots on the front but still not ridden him in them yet. He’s still sound and striding out in walk on most surfaces but only striding out in trot on softer ground. I was starting to feel a bit lost with it all to be honest and the temptation to put shoes back on and crack on with more work was very strong ? BUT I keep reminding myself why I’m doing it and I’m determined to give it my best shot sooooo, he’s off to track livery at the end of this month ?? I’m really hopeful we will both benefit from the service, experience and support provided ??

Mule

Visit site
While people are still posting on this thread I thought I’d give a little update on my lad. I thought we were sailing through the transition then the long dry spell came! Cue feet starting to crack and self trim a bit too quickly. I am getting him used to boots on the front but still not ridden him in them yet. He’s still sound and striding out in walk on most surfaces but only striding out in trot on softer ground. I was starting to feel a bit lost with it all to be honest and the temptation to put shoes back on and crack on with more work was very strong ? BUT I keep reminding myself why I’m doing it and I’m determined to give it my best shot sooooo, he’s off to track livery at the end of this month ?? I’m really hopeful we will both benefit from the service, experience and support provided ??
Good luck:) Where is the track livery?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Do you have anyone supporting you? Feet often crack because they are too long, barefoot feet look very short compared to shod, and worsening performance in spring is more often talked to grass growth than it is to the ground being harder.

Floofball

Visit site
Do you have anyone supporting you? Feet often crack because they are too long, barefoot feet look very short compared to shod, and worsening performance in spring is more often talked to grass growth than it is to the ground being harder.

No it just me, that’s why I’m really looking forward to getting him down to the track livery ? my lad has EMS so never gets to eat much grass. His companion is a previously laminitic section a who is uber sensitive to grass. They are out overnight on a bare paddock with hay then come off during the day and have soaked hay. I did leave them out one day as you just wouldn’t think there was grass for them to eat but pony had mild pulses by teatime ? so maybe he is reacting to the spring grass ? I will be learning a lot as I go - what do people do with their barefoot horses if they are sensitive to grass?