Barefoot transition thread/journal

paddy555

Visit site
I was not too sure from your pics and my personal experience of identical feet that the fronts were going to make it barefoot, however the casts do show up a definite line of new growth and is coming down at a better angle so I would carry on with BF and when the casts come off get him booted as much as possible to keep him comfy.
I would also test for cushings. That can answer a lot of questions.

Mule

Visit site
I was not too sure from your pics and my personal experience of identical feet that the fronts were going to make it barefoot, however the casts do show up a definite line of new growth and is coming down at a better angle so I would carry on with BF and when the casts come off get him booted as much as possible to keep him comfy.
The new growth is positive. I just made an appointment with the vet for a cushings test so at least I'll get an answer on that front.

Mule

Visit site
What do they look like from the underside Mule? I've never seen them used before!
I will take pictures of the underside today. I tried to do it last night but it was too difficult to get a good shot at the same time as holding his hoof up. I'll have an assistant later ?

Mule

Visit site
Was the horse with similar feet able to go barefoot on the hinds?

paddy555

Visit site
Was the horse with similar feet able to go barefoot on the hinds?

no, he was never able to go barefoot (he had never been shod) in fact he was unable to wander around the yard comfortably in all honesty unless booted. His hinds were different to yours and were bull nosed so not a good guide for you. I had him at 3 and he died at 25. He was unable able to be ridden, he was a rescue and came with too many problems. I looked at your first pics when you took the shoes off and thought "Ben is reincarnated" :eek: then I thought it was better to keep quiet until you saw how you got on. :)

Mule

Visit site
no, he was never able to go barefoot (he had never been shod) in fact he was unable to wander around the yard comfortably in all honesty unless booted. His hinds were different to yours and were bull nosed so not a good guide for you. I had him at 3 and he died at 25. He was unable able to be ridden, he was a rescue and came with too many problems. I looked at your first pics when you took the shoes off and thought "Ben is reincarnated" :eek: then I thought it was better to keep quiet until you saw how you got on. :)
Mabey it is Ben reincarnated. Mine was born in a rescue centre:eek:
At any rate we know mine can work in shoes so all is not lost:)

Last edited:

paddy555

Visit site
Mabey it is Ben reincarnated. Mine was born in a rescue centre:eek:
At any rate we know mine can work in shoes so all is not lost:)

lucky horse he came to you. I hope it works out for him but if not then shoes are not the worst thing for a comfortable life.

Mule

Visit site
What do they look like from the underside Mule? I've never seen them used before!
Here's a photo of the underside. There's a kind of putty over the frog. The hoof needed to be picked out so it may be hard to see.IMG_20200218_205157684_compress73.jpg

I think I see the beginnings of concavity in this picture of his front hoof with the measuring tape. His co- owner has commented on how well he is walking now he has shoes on. He is getting impatient ?, however I will be able to convince him to give him a chance with the hoof boots.
I wasn't there when the farrier came so I wasn't able to ask him about the bars.
Left fore picture 3_compress35.jpg

Last edited:

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Hopefully you'll get your boots pretty soon then once the cast are off the hooves can carry on with their journey to health.

Mule

Visit site
Hopefully you'll get your boots pretty soon then once the cast are off the hooves can carry on with their journey to health.
Absolutely. I've sent new measurements to the hoof boutique and to urban hoof and my hoof armour package has arrived today. I'll put that on when the casts come off.

I haven't sent photos of his hinds for boot ideas because I want to see how he is without them first. They hinds so are much better than the fronts.

Gloi

Visit site
Absolutely. I've sent new measurements to the hoof boutique and to urban hoof and my hoof armour package has arrived today. I'll put that on when the casts come off.

I haven't sent photos of his hinds for boot ideas because I want to see how he is without them first. They hinds so are much better than the fronts.
It might seem a long journey but it will be worth it in the end :)

Mule

Visit site
I heard back from Carolyn at Urban Horse today. She suggested cavallos regular in size six for the fronts with 12 mm pads during transitioning and scoot boots later on. I find her really helpful so it's great to have her advice. It seems much easier to find suitable boots now that there isn't the hoof distortions. The sheared heels made it impossible to find boots that weren't likely to fall off.

I have also emailed the hoof boutique so I will also see what their advice is. He won't actually need boots until his casts come off in a couple of weeks. I'll also put on the hoof armour then. I'll see how he fares with unbooted hinds for now.

Whatever about the fronts, I'm confident he will be ok barefoot on the hinds ?

Last edited:

Mule

Visit site
Here's some flashback photos from 11th of November;

This is his right fore:
See the stretched white line and the uneven medio lateral wear on the hoof wall. There's almost a convex look about the sole.

IMG_20191110_123856713_compress95.jpg

This is a disturbingly misshapen left hind. Look at the heel bulbs :eek:

IMG_20191110_124531793_compress64.jpg

?Behold his February 18th right fore!

right fore picture 2_compress1.jpg
If the fecker came sound he could feature in a barefoot transformation photoshoot type of thing ?

Last edited:

Mule

Visit site
I am posting a Christmas photo of the mule in his Santa hat. Not purely to spam the thread either; He has skinny legs supporting a bulky body. That's also a lot of weight for weak hooves to support. Perhaps that doesn't help him either?
IMG_20191225_121433708_compress62.jpg

Mule

Visit site
Good news!
The mule lost one of his aluminium shoes/ casts 2 days ago. I expected him to be sore again but he wasn't ...

Earlier today, he got out on to the driveway and walked around completely normally! He then proceeded to walk over the pebbly bit?
I'm half afraid he'll go back to being sore tomorrow because I can barely believe it!

His shoes have been off now for 16 weeks and it's just possible that he's coming sound. I was about to give up and re-shoe him ???

Wheels

Visit site
I know, I can't believe it ?
How are you getting on?

Pretty well at the minute thanks. We are back out competing dressage again. Still a little unsure going over rough stones and ground but very happy with progress at the 4 month stage. Still a while to go :)

Mule

Visit site
Pretty well at the minute thanks. We are back out competing dressage again. Still a little unsure going over rough stones and ground but very happy with progress at the 4 month stage. Still a while to go :)
Excellent, well done ?

Sasana Skye

Visit site
My little mare has just gone over the 7 month barefoot mark now and is noticeably much sounder over uneven ground and stones. Generally she is walking out more confidently too. Yesterday she was all giddy and decided to trot over the car park coming home which is really gravelly and only tripped once. Her feet look great too, I will take some updated 'after' pictures soon.

Mule

Visit site
My little mare has just gone over the 7 month barefoot mark now and is noticeably much sounder over uneven ground and stones. Generally she is walking out more confidently too. Yesterday she was all giddy and decided to trot over the car park coming home which is really gravelly and only tripped once. Her feet look great too, I will take some updated 'after' pictures soon.
Good news, I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Mule

Visit site
I have just purchased a pair of Cavallo treks, size five with 12mm medium pads ?
They will be quite tight in width but just a bit too long so they have a better chance of staying on than the size six, which would be longer again. So we should soon be ready to start back riding.

I'm wondering about how to avoid rubbing in the heels. I've read that people put socks on over the hoof. Has anyone here had any experience with using them or something similar to protect the heels from rubs. I'm wondering what type of socks to use and do they bunch up under the boots?
I'm going to use hoof armour on the hinds and then see if he needs those booted too.

Last edited:

Gloi

Visit site
Do you know they are going to rub. They usually don't unless the horse has really sensitive skin. Try them first on short rides and don't get mud and grit in to start off with and the heels should toughen up quickly. I've found socks and gaiters just a nuisance.

Mule

Visit site
Do you know they are going to rub. They usually don't unless the horse has really sensitive skin. Try them first on short rides and don't get mud and grit in to start off with and the heels should toughen up quickly. I've found socks and gaiters just a nuisance.
By short rides do you mean 10 minutes or so?