Be part of H&H's new co-buys to grab great discounts

CalllyH

Visit site
Sorry horse and hound but I think your article entitled excitement builds around horse and hound o buying scheme is inaccurate. There is alot of speculation around this, you have given details just a brief overview of an idea and there's Been alot of questions asked. Please ensure your journalism is accurate not just what you want to hear.

robthecob

Visit site
I don't work in retail admittedly and whilst I expect not every product carries a high profit surely there will be those that carry the possibility of discounts? I think some of you are also missing the point that is it better to sell 10 at a profit of £1 or 100 at a profit of 50p??? These kind of deals are not to replace going to your local tack shop to get that one thing you need they are the products you buy on impulse. :) I think it's a good idea, you only have to look at online shops like equestrian clearance to see there clearly are opportunities to discount

Last edited:

Big Ben

Visit site
I read this post with great interest,
as the owner of a tack shop and also photographic shop i know the damage that is being done by schemes like this

Great for the consumer now until all the tack shops are gone then you cant ever go and see anything before you buy.

We sell on line also, but the price in store is the same on line at rock bottom, many of you might not believe this but the we often can but stock cheaper from preferrred suppliers who spend big than we can fron the manufactures.

Dont just think about that £2 you can save on a pair of gloves or that £10 on a hat, go into your tack shop and give them the chance to match it

i bet they will 95% of the time, we do, i have sold stuff at no profit before to keep my customer from buying elsewhere.

also remember that most of the equipment you buy theses days is made in the far east, the further you drive prices down the more British jobs are lost

It might be you one day that this is done to.

*LIKE*

I live in the middle of the prairies and make a point of buying from the local store, I can't believe how many locals will drive to the city to save money on groceries. People don't seem to get that unless you keep the little local guys in business soon there will be no one left to pop into for that immediate something that you need NOW.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Agree about using local shopkeepers. I use local retailers when ever possible and use my local saddlery a couple of times a month.
However, while I do order some goods not in stock from them, I also use the internet because the choice is greater and its quicker.Plus sometimes, the postage charge is less than the cost of petrol and my time.

There's room for both to co exist but for those of you who would happily pay full price for something that you could buy through this HHO initiative much cheaper, I'd say well done. I'm not that noble, or rich.

I'd also point out that if items such as hay steamers, hay bars or say, tricklenets were heavily discounted, more would be sold and the company would benefit.

Visit site
It appears my last post on this subject may have been removed

I will set out who i am, i am a tack shop owner we sell online and in store

these schemes to save the readers money are wonderful, why not save yourself £1 and a pair of gloves and £5 on a hat.

but when something goes wrong are you going take it back to h&H

if you want to try it on and all the tack shops are gone what happens then.

if the manufactures can give discounts to a magazine why cant they to us tack shops.

I see people asking for cheap Ariat boots, well if you want to stock them as a shop guess how much you have to take as initial order £10k

some manufactures have told us to raise our prices as we are to low or they wont supply us any more.

i have three horses i know what its like we all want to save money times are hard for all of us.

why dont you just ask yout local tack shop to try and match the price, we do, i have sold product at no profit before to keep a customer happy.

Once we are gone that will be it, thanks H&h maybe us tack shops will start an online site to compete with you,
shall we call it HOUNDED OUT.

VERY DISGRUNTLED

CalllyH

Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much I can't see it doing amazingly well. It all seems very hypothetical at the moment with no prices, just a register your interest scheme.

mandwhy

Visit site
I think it would be good for things like hay steamers and hot horse showers. Generally the more expensive stuff. None of which I would buy but I generally buy things at local places now - I have realised it is worth paying that extra fiver to be able to try it on and touch the quality of leather etc, so don't worry retailers there are still people behind you as long as your prices are fairly competitive.

Renvers

Visit site
I tihnk this could be a postive scheme, and good for big one off purchases.

Maybe H&H could use it as a wasy to support british manufacturing - offering the likes of Fairfax girths, Lansdown rugs (as mentioned earlier), thermatex etc...

I would happily support local tack shops more if they offered anything other than the same old ranges from weatherbeeta, joules, dublin etc - all of which are made in china/far east.

If you want to buy british at the moment you have to search out these items on the internet.

HHO admin

Administrator
Visit site
I'm lost, how does co-buying get you it for cheaper? Surely if 20 people agreed to co-buy, they wouldnt give everyone of the 20 the product reduced?

That's exactly how it works. In the co-buy which just ran 20 people got the girth at £140, that's a saving of £100 on the RRP. Everyone got the girth at that price. And one person got it absolutely free.

More info here

Sealine

Visit site
Currently on my shopping list:
Sprenger stirrups
Ariat Heritage jod boot
Pikeur Epsom washable jacket
Toggi canyon (or similar) boots

zoon

Visit site
Would love a fairfax dressage girth - the long girth currently in the scheme is no good for my WOW saddles!

stacey222

Visit site
I was lucky enough to get my hands on the Fairfax girth, I have a cold backed horse that enjoys bucking me off when I get on him so fingers crossed it will help :) I wouldn't mind seeing Horseware Rugs and Ariat boots come up, anything that's more expensive and isn't a everyday essential! It's nice to treat yourself once in a while without it breaking the bank!! Thank you Horse and Hound for giving us a chance to Co-Buy!!

pagey poos

New User
Visit site
Any Mark Todd clothing but especially the jodphurs,
Ariat clothing
any jodphurs from ariat, caldene or premier equine
ariate heritage select field zip boots
HS1 hat
good quality tack
tweed jacket
any premier equine horse equipment.