Been to view this horse today

nutjob

Visit site
@Birker2020 are you sure that your SI issues and arthritis are not some sort of inflammatory arthritis rather than just OA. This also causes fatigue as well as pain and stiffness in the joints. It's common with inflammatory arthritis to have low B12 also. You need different medication to treat this, not just painkillers. Getting an MRI done privately of your SI is not expensive if you cannot get your GP to refer to a consultant. For me it was the start of getting a proper diagnosis, I had almost started to believe my absolutely dreadful GP that there was nothing wrong with me and I was simply lazy and moaning!!

TRECtastic

Visit site
Have you tried bank farm equestrian in Bewdley?
We went there last year for a horsey short break , I got the impression any of their horses used on the rides are for sale , at the right price
I rode a lovely 5 year old Irish cob , very well mannered
Well worth ringing them to ask if they have anything you are looking for ?

blodwyn1

Visit site
She looks amazing and has already done the job I need for her present owner. I have three weeks and if she isn't right she can go back home but I love her on the videos. I just have to find a home for Mairead now!

gunnergundog

Visit site
Oooo....what about Milo on the link above?? Sounds nice, and local-ish. VERY sensible money too, in my opinion, if as described AND still sound.

Birker2020

Visit site
what made you feel that way suddenly did you feel like the owner was judging your riding ability and your weight because I have definitely had that before when trying a horse .
I'm not sure, I know some people are good at hiding their true feelings, I do find I'm judged.

Last edited:

Birker2020

Visit site
what made you feel that way suddenly did you feel like the owner was judging your riding ability and your weight because I have definitely had that before when trying a horse .
I did, its been a long gap. I used to be a competent rider, I could jump round at 1.0/1.05 without too much issues, used to prefer jumping at 1m max most of the time, although I used to be nervous as Bailey was very sharp and had me off a few times, very looky at fillers, etc. So I'm competent enough, by no means an expert, but just an average unaffiliated rider than used to go out on my own with me and my horse and have fun.

But I did feel they were possibly judging, I suppose everyone does if we are being truthful.

1713188452573.png

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I did, its been a long gap. I used to be a competent rider, I could jump round at 1.0/1.05 without too much issues, used to prefer jumping at 1m max most of the time, although I used to be nervous as Bailey was very sharp and had me off a few times, very looky at fillers, etc. So I'm competent enough, by no means an expert, but just an average unaffiliated rider than used to go out on my own with me and my horse and have fun.

But I did feel they were possibly judging, I suppose everyone does if we are being truthful.

View attachment 137664

You are not alone , I had the saddle fitter out to check my saddle on my own horse, I also had known the saddle fitter for many years and had hacked out with him so I really had nothing to be nervous about but felt very exposed riding in front of him and was glad when it was over … it’s not surprising you felt awkward in front of strangers on their horse … I’m sure you will get there in the end …

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Birker, you are understandably very rusty after so long without a sound horse to ride, and you have now also recognised your lack of fitness and are taking steps to get to a good riding weight again 🙂.

It will be worth it. Park the horse search for now, get yourself fit again, and then aim to crack on. When you are able to, get some hours in the saddle on a simulator or at a RS or trekking centre to get your muscle memory and your nerve back, then trying horses will seem much less scary. A bit scary, of course, as trying horses is always a bit nerve wracking, but a lot less scary than now.

2ndtimearound

Visit site
Just an idea, @Birker2020, as you’ve mentioned being self-conscious about being judged - once you’re ready to do so, you may find it easier to go for a few rides at a trekking centre rather than lessons at an RS. Yes, the staff will still keep an eye on you to make sure you’re okay, but you’ll be under far less scrutiny once they’ve satisfied themselves that you can ride well enough for the trek than you will be in a lesson where the instructor will be intentionally watching you ride the whole time so they can teach you. So you may find it a more comfortable and enjoyable experience. Plus, if you choose the right place that has a few different horses you’re able to ride, it might give you more ideas of what to look for on your horse search.

Birker2020

Visit site
My friend has an ex-riding school horse, was in his mid twenties at the time, when a friend from her work came to have a ride.
She was a good rider, so no issue there. Appeared to do nothing offensive to him, yet he uncharacteristically broncked in the corner of the school. Ive known this horse since he was 4 and he had never lifted his back legs under saddle before or since that day. He had obviously been used to different riders in the past, too.

Sometimes they genuinely do just behave oddly for reasons not known to us.
Yes they do, but when an owner says she's had the horse four years and its never bucked before, I find it very hard to believe.

onemoretime

Visit site
Yes thinking about simulator, I would enjoy that, I had a taste of the simulator years ago when Your Horse Live first started out at my local riding club, long before it ended up at Stoneleigh. It was great fun.
I will be glad to be able to keep saving as much as I can. I'm hoping that Lari stops costing me so much money.
Birker have you tried Jack Thomas Watson he is up in Northumberland, Im not sure where you are? He has some lovely horses in his yard, may be worth talking to him. I haven't bought from him but have spoken on the phone and he was very sensible and pleasant.

blodwyn1

Visit site
I have had my little treasure on trial for a week now and I have learnt a few things! She is lovely but I don't get on with her saddle so if I had driven to try her I would have turned down a lovely pony because I can't balance on her saddle! I am trying other saddles on her and it is transforming how I feel on her so first impressions don't count for much!

dixie

Visit site
I have had my little treasure on trial for a week now and I have learnt a few things! She is lovely but I don't get on with her saddle so if I had driven to try her I would have turned down a lovely pony because I can't balance on her saddle! I am trying other saddles on her and it is transforming how I feel on her so first impressions don't count for much!
I’ve found this too. In fact the last horse I bought I took my saddle with me to the viewing. Not only did it fit him better, he felt so much more comfortable to ride.

I'm Dun

Visit site
Birker have you tried Jack Thomas Watson he is up in Northumberland, Im not sure where you are? He has some lovely horses in his yard, may be worth talking to him. I haven't bought from him but have spoken on the phone and he was very sensible and pleasant.

Hes a good guy and has a lot of quality horses. If he doesn't have it, he can probably find it.

Birker2020

Visit site
Yes but a 9/10 hour round trip for us and not sure what we'd do with the dog as we'd have to book a room somewhere.

At the moment it's a distance I'd not consider.

onemoretime

Visit site
Yes but a 9/10 hour round trip for us and not sure what we'd do with the dog as we'd have to book a room somewhere.

OK fair enough, I managed to find my mare much nearer but I would have gone if I had not found anything but would have needed an overnight stay.

I'm Dun

Visit site

When I was going he invited me to stay over for the night and was going to take myself and a friend out hunting the day after the viewing. I think it would be worth it to see so many different types in one go. He wouldn't be judgy either. Northumberland is one of the most beautiful places on earth as well, so well worth a weekend away.

Birker2020

Visit site
When I was going he invited me to stay over for the night and was going to take myself and a friend out hunting the day after the viewing. I think it would be worth it to see so many different types in one go. He wouldn't be judgy either. Northumberland is one of the most beautiful places on earth as well, so well worth a weekend away.
We can't do it at this moment in time for various reasons. And I doubt very much he'd have more than one horse that we would be interested in at any one time.