Bert is very lame.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I'm not sure what the 90 days refers to but once a claim is started you have a year from the time the problem first appeared.
My insurance company have a 90 day limit to put a claim in from the start of any issues, and I only mentioned it because the pony has only been on box rest so I thought an insurance claim may not have been started.

SO1

Visit site
I already alerted NFU the day he went lame. My excess is £400 and I have not reached that point yet vet has been out 4 times but I have shared the call out with another livery.

Vet will come back and see him under saddle. I think his saddle needs widening as he has filled out and put on weight anyway.

He is also still very bum high.

Due to the situation with my parents and being away quite a bit I have not caught him for a while but but one of the people that works at the yard says that he appears to have very poor social skills. He approaches other horses all friendly but then if they put their ears back or threaten him he doesn't seem to notice and move away so it is no wonder he has got into some scrapes.

He absolutely loves being part of the group but doesn't realise if is he the annoying the others. He was on individual turnout for in his old home for a few years so I think he is really wanting company from other horses.

A couple of horses were having a drink and he decided he wanted to join them and nearly got kicked as he was getting in the way and too close rather than waiting till there was space and going to drink.

SO1

Visit site
Bert is lame again. It started last Saturday mid way through a lesson he was going beautifully and about 20 minutes in my instructor said he suddenly looked off in trot but very mildly and intermittently. YO came and looked and it was very subtle and hard to notice and not all the time. His saddle was due for being reviewed as it was moving forward and a bit and looked tight so thought it might be the saddle.

My instructor had ridden him on Thursday and Friday and he had been fine.

My saddler had been away for a couple of months and then had Covid so been difficult to get an appointment.

Instructor long reined him on Tues including in trot and to see how he was and he seemed fine. Saddler came on Wednesday and unfortunately neither myself or instructor could be there to ride but she reflocked saddle as agreed it was too tight also said use the point strap to stop it moving forward.

Instructor took him for an in hand hack on Thursday in walk and then rode him today first time since he was not quite right on Saturday last week.

He started off well again and going beautifully then on the third bit of trot felt lame and YO came and looked again very subtle think it is possibly a front leg this time rather than the right hind or possibly even both. Instructor was not entirely happy with the saddle said it felt great to start with then felt like it "dropped" but I didn't really understand what she meant by that.

So vet coming back on Tuesday as he is coming to look at another two horses so can also look at Bert unfortunately I can't be there due to work as we have a lot of people off sick at the moment and on AL so I need to cover but my instructor can be and she will ride him if vet needs to see him under saddle.

As I am away this weekend due to having to sort out a few things to do with my elderly parents my instructor will long rein him tomorrow and see how he looks without the saddle and then he will have a couple of days off until vet comes on Tues morning.

Saddler rebooked to come out on 9 Feb which is the earliest she can next fit me in when both me and my instructor can be there so she can see the saddle on him.

He is no where near as bad as he was before. He did come in a bit lame a few weeks ago before the cold spell but it was a stone in his hoof and when it was picked out it was fine.

Bert is barefoot and he loves rolling in mud and does so every day I have never seen a pony who enjoys rolling so much. Vet says it is better for him to be barefoot in general but that they don't have so much traction so more likely to slip in field so I am wondering if he has slipped or done something silly in the field.

But it is weird as he start off going really well stretching out in trot and really loose then goes not quite right.

He hasn't been in that much work since his lameness started back in October as we were bringing him back into work and just started cantering and then I felt the saddle was moving too much for me to be happy to canter and whilst waiting for saddle appointment just been doing walk and trot and taking it fairly easy just short sessions of riding for half an hour.

I have had him for nearly 6 months and hardly ridden him at all due to waiting for the new saddle and then being away quite a bit due to issues with my parents then him having a few weeks off due to the lameness and then needing to be got fit again and then waiting for saddle fitter so having to take it easy and now not quite right again and more waiting for saddler if vet thinks it is saddle or if it is not the saddle trying to work out what the problem is.

Last edited:

SO1

Visit site
The vet is coming on Tues so will go from there. I am not convinced it is the saddle as whilst the fit was not perfect he had been fine for a couple of months and it came on suddenly on Saturday part way throught the lesson and it looks more like the front rather than right hind. I am on a rehab yard and my instructor is very on the case with any sort of not quite right as is YO. They probably notice things that I would not.

I think I will get him tested for PSSM as he is a new forest. He will be clear on his sire's side but his dam is untested but a prolific brood mare having had 13 offspring a couple of them top performance ponies.

He has the same dam as Nutschullyng River Dance who is a liscensed stallion and will have been tested so his Dam will not be P1/P1 but she could be N1/P1. His Dam comes from very old bloodlines which will not have been tested although their are none of the known lines within her breeding.

The only good thing about it is the yard I am on does rehab and I have a really good instructor small enough to ride him so with everything that is going on with my parents and work I have enough support in terms of them being there for the vet etc.

Last edited:

Ricedance

Visit site
I was going to suggest a pssm test and full work up giving his breeding too. I’d get blocks, pssm test etc all done at a good big practice to cover all bases 😊 he’s a lovely stamp of a nf though

SO1

Visit site
If your vet doesn't find anything specific on Tuesday, I'm another that would go for a full workup at whichever hospital your vet refers to.
I think they refer to Donnington grove. I moved practices when I got Bert as both the senior vets at my old practice who I used moved and so I changed practice to follow one of them.

My vet is an advanced practitioner in equine lameness and all the vets at the new practice are experienced vets so hopefully we will get to the bottom of it.

I have a horrible feeling it might be PSSM and completely my fault for buying an untested pony knowing the risks.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I think they refer to Donnington grove. I moved practices when I got Bert as both the senior vets at my old practice who I used moved and so I changed practice to follow one of them.

My vet is an advanced practitioner in equine lameness and all the vets at the new practice are experienced vets so hopefully we will get to the bottom of it.

I have a horrible feeling it might be PSSM and completely my fault for buying an untested pony knowing the risks.
I was thinking facilities rather than vets. At a big hospital they have various diagnostic tools especially useful if you don't know what the issue is.

When I took Tigger in, it turned out to be his back. They were able to X ray and nerve block his back to ride before and after which they wouldn't have done off site.

SO1

Visit site
I was going to suggest a pssm test and full work up giving his breeding too. I’d get blocks, pssm test etc all done at a good big practice to cover all bases 😊 he’s a lovely stamp of a nf though
He failed his colt inspection in 2022 so may have already been tested for that so will contact the breed society as not sure if they require evidence of PSSM free before presentation or only if they pass.

I'm Dun

Visit site
He failed his colt inspection in 2022 so may have already been tested for that so will contact the breed society as not sure if they require evidence of PSSM free before presentation or only if they pass.
He is exactly the right age to be starting to show symptoms, but I'd try not to worry just yet. What youve described doesnt sound like PSSM. So test and rule it out but hopefully its just a tweak.

The NF society has acted brilliantly to insist on stallion testing, but they really should have extended it to the mares as well.

SO1

Visit site
YO messaged me and said he it toe dragging and mainly left hind so different leg from last time when it was right hind.

SO1

Visit site
I’m another that would be concerned about a 5 year old in only light work now showing lameness in a different leg to the other recent lameness. Unless there is a clear diagnosis by the vet on Tuesday, I would be requesting a referral for a full work up as soon as possible.
I am fully prepared for the possibility that I may end up witb a 5 year old that has to be retired. I can't afford two horses and don't PTS unless they are in pain.

My instructor has just had to retire her 4 year old.

He did compete with his previous owner mainly in SJ and won his first dressage test but she kept him on individual turnout and he did not get as much turnout as he does with me nor did she ride him as regularly. I also had him vetted including X-rays but didn't X-Ray his back or stifles.

Reactions: tda

Upthecreek

Visit site
I am fully prepared for the possibility that I may end up witb a 5 year old that has to be retired. I can't afford two horses and don't PTS unless they are in pain.

My instructor has just had to retire her 4 year old.

He did compete with his previous owner mainly in SJ and won his first dressage test but she kept him on individual turnout and he did not get as much turnout as he does with me nor did she ride him as regularly. I also had him vetted including X-rays but didn't X-Ray his back or stifles.

I really hope it doesn’t come to that and that Bert is fixable. He’s a lovely young pony. I think you mentioned before that he’s turned out in a herd and doesn’t seem to understand when the others tell him off? Perhaps this is the cause of the injuries if he has not been used to living with others? Could be nothing to do with it of course, but that is obviously a change to how he was kept in his previous home.

SO1

Visit site
I really hope it doesn’t come to that and that Bert is fixable. He’s a lovely young pony. I think you mentioned before that he’s turned out in a herd and doesn’t seem to understand when the others tell him off? Perhaps this is the cause of the injuries if he has not been used to living with others? Could be nothing to do with it of course, but that is obviously a change to how he was kept in his previous home.
He has settled reallly well into the group now and loves it. I do wonder if is something to do with his love of rolling in mud and possibly loosing his footing and slipping. He rolls in mud every day.

I would rather keep him barefoot as advised by my vet but my vet did also say barefoot horses are more likely to slip in the field.

I too hope that he will be ok. The message was that they can hear the toe dragging when they trotted him up on the hard not that they could see it so I think it must be fairly subtle.

Last edited:

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
His saddle was due for being reviewed as it was moving forward and a bit and looked tight so thought it might be the saddle.

Instructor long reined him on Tues including in trot and to see how he was and he seemed fine.

Saddler came on Wednesday and unfortunately neither myself or instructor could be there to ride but she reflocked saddle as agreed it was too tight also said use the point strap to stop it moving forward.

Instructor was not entirely happy with the saddle said it felt great to start with then felt like it "dropped" but I didn't really understand what she meant by that.

But it is weird as he start off going really well stretching out in trot and really loose then goes not quite right.

Sorry for dissecting your post like this, but to me, this really does read as a saddle that doesn't fit properly, and whose fit gets worse after being ridden in briefly, possibly as the flocking compresses under the rider's weight.

SEL

Visit site
YO messaged me and said he it toe dragging and mainly left hind so different leg from last time when it was right hind.
Are his stifles ok? When my cob was growing his weak stifles caused some toe dragging behind avd it switched legs. He was generally sore because he grew unevenly. Vet check showed it was just growing pains and we hacked gently for a while.

SO1

Visit site
Are his stifles ok? When my cob was growing his weak stifles caused some toe dragging behind avd it switched legs. He was generally sore because he grew unevenly. Vet check showed it was just growing pains and we hacked gently for a while.
Vet thought his original problem with right hind when he was very lame was stifle. His stifle locked 4 times on the lunge when vet came to review him for that after he had 5 days box rest but he got better very quickly and he has gradually been coming back in to work after that which has been slow going as had been waiting for 6 weeks for saddler to come hence not being able to start canter under the saddle

SO1

Visit site
Vet has been it is the left fore this time. He cannot see anything obvious wrong with it. He thinks possibly a hoof bruise though he was negative to hoof testers, or possibly an abcesses brewing.

One week's field rest and if no better he will nerve block and do further investigations to make sure not connected to right hind. He said it is very intermittent and subtle.

He needs his wolf teeth removing so going to use this as an apportunity to get that done as well as his blood test for encisted red worm and also I am going to try and book him in for physio.

maya2008

Visit site
I'm hoping this will help...and in the end it's just New Forest silliness in the winter for you as it often has been for us.

Anyway, my younger NF ponies have ALWAYS done themselves in over the winter. Especially if in lighter work. They are cheeky and unable to take 'no' for an answer by nature, get a little bored, and get into trouble in the field. The year I moved to my current field, both our NF ponies seemed to take turns going lame. I stood and watched at one point, to see what on earth they could be doing. One was walking up to the other and deliberately looking for a reaction. Poking and pushing until the other snapped and went for her. Then zooming away in delight. In a wet muddy field, that led to 'ouch' for whoever was unlucky enough to slip. The next year they did it again, but only one got hurt that time - the other was fitter and in more work. This year little NF did it yet again - got kicked and slipped getting away. The cause of that? The horsebox broke and it was too wet to hack enough, so she was, again, bored and feeling in need of some cheeky entertainment. Previous NF only grew out of winter silliness in her teens. I learned to keep riding through the winter, hard enough she was a little tired, and to be very careful about field rest, because as soon as they're feeling a bit better they zoom off and do it again.

I hope he's feeling better soon.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Vet has been it is the left fore this time. He cannot see anything obvious wrong with it. He thinks possibly a hoof bruise though he was negative to hoof testers, or possibly an abcesses brewing.

One week's field rest and if no better he will nerve block and do further investigations to make sure not connected to right hind. He said it is very intermittent and subtle.

He needs his wolf teeth removing so going to use this as an apportunity to get that done as well as his blood test for encisted red worm and also I am going to try and book him in for physio.

That sounds like good news to me SO1. This weather is a killer for abscesses, so we should all start the pus dance.

SO1

Visit site
That sounds like good news to me SO1. This weather is a killer for abscesses, so we should all start the pus dance.
He is due the farrier next week.

I am hoping it is a hoof bruise as they tend to go away fairly quickly. Homey had one once. The ground was very hard during the cold spell and the horses go out every day.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
A little earlier in the year last year I had a terrible abscess. Didn't respond to hoof testers and came sound the minute the vet drove in the yard. There was a tiny spot that might have been a bruise but no reaction to it. I sent a video of horse looking 3 legged, vet came immediately. Sound. At one point he looked off, vet went to get nerve block from car, came back and sound again. On the 4th visit at a weekend, we found a positive reaction to hoof testers, some discreet digging and lots of pus came out. Vet's description, non typical presentation.