Best way to keep vicious dog out of field that is attacking the

mystiandsunny

Visit site
Will chicken wire to back up the barbed wire fence work? Or will the dog just jump it? It is attacking after dark, near the footpath which is where their water is. Dog took a chunk out of a pony back leg last night. Going to lie in wait for it but fencing would be better long term.

Luci07

Visit site
Do horses constitute livestock? Because in which case you could post up a warning that a stray dog as attacked a horse which then needed to be seen by a vet and therefore stray dogs will be shot. I would also put a call into your dog warden...if you happen to know whom the dog belongs to. A friend who needed to keep her dogs out of her chicken coop out low level electric fencing as well as normal and boosted it to the mains. That worked.

Velcrobum

Visit site
Call the police and ask advice. That certainly constitutes a dog out of control. Get photos of the dog or even better a video as that can be used as evidence and have someone with you as backup.

paddi22

Visit site
i'd get someone with a shotgun! what a horrible situation. Would be very difficult to fence enough to keep a large determined dog out. I know it sounds awful but being honest if i was in that situation and my horses were getting injured i'd section off an area, camp out for the night and put poisioned meat down

RunToEarth

Visit site
Do horses constitute livestock?

Not unless it is kept for agricultural purposes. In any case putting up signs threatening to shoot dogs is just attracting trouble IMO, especially if you actually do hold a licence. I would report to the dog warden and maybe non emergency number, it is a dangerous and out of control dog.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Speak to a local farmer. They will probably know someone who will, for a price, sit up and wait for a few nights and shoot it. Problem solved. Horrible situation, totally feel for you :(

Damnation

Visit site
Speak to a local farmer. They will probably know someone who will, for a price, sit up and wait for a few nights and shoot it. Problem solved. Horrible situation, totally feel for you :(

i'd get someone with a shotgun! what a horrible situation. Would be very difficult to fence enough to keep a large determined dog out. I know it sounds awful but being honest if i was in that situation and my horses were getting injured i'd section off an area, camp out for the night and put poisioned meat down

Be wary of following these - as RTE says, horses are not necessarily "livestock" and you could end up in trouble for shooting/poisoning a dog.

Film it, send it to the police/dogwarden.

mystiandsunny

Visit site
Have rung Police. They can do nothing unless they see it attacking the horses, or there is evidence that it is the right dog e.g. blood on its muzzle and horse's leg. We have 8 acres, thinking of adding chicken wire along the footpath it's coming off - too many bushes etc to electrify a fence well, and the dog will just slip through that anyway.

eta have also rung the farmer who we rent from. Horses don't count as livestock, so can't shoot it. He will tell the sheep farmer who has the field next door though. He's been around a lot lately and was looking for a lost sheep a week ago. Wonder if he's having trouble with the same dog?!

Last edited:

Damnation

Visit site
Have rung Police. They can do nothing unless they see it attacking the horses, or there is evidence that it is the right dog e.g. blood on its muzzle and horse's leg. We have 8 acres, thinking of adding chicken wire along the footpath it's coming off - too many bushes etc to electrify a fence well, and the dog will just slip through that anyway.

Is it a neighbours dog or a dog eascaping from its owner on a walk?

mystiandsunny

Visit site
Is it a neighbours dog or a dog eascaping from its owner on a walk?

Not a neighbour's dog. They've all been there as long as we have (6 years+) and the horses aren't showing any fear in reaction to the dogs nearby when we go past them etc. All gardens also well fenced. It is being walked on that footpath and coming into the field. Can't get a pic as is happening in the dark.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Be wary of following these - as RTE says, horses are not necessarily "livestock" and you could end up in trouble for shooting/poisoning a dog.

Film it, send it to the police/dogwarden.

Like the dog owner, you will only be in trouble if you are caught. I say fight fire wit fire. Shoot it! If no one is seeing the attack on the horses then its highly unlikely anyone will see it being shot! Or offer the sheep owner an incentive to put some sheep in your field ... then he can shoot it legally!

Damnation

Visit site
Not a neighbour's dog. They've all been there as long as we have (6 years+) and the horses aren't showing any fear in reaction to the dogs nearby when we go past them etc. All gardens also well fenced. It is being walked on that footpath and coming into the field. Can't get a pic as is happening in the dark.

Film it, most smartphones will turn the flash on to film after dark if you have your flash set to auto.

If possible get the vehicle reg of the dog owners, call the dog warden and the police. If you are feeling really brave, catch the dog and hand it in to the dog warden. They will have to pay to get the dog back and probably a bit of a lecture about having their dog under control at all times.

Velcrobum

Visit site

eta have also rung the farmer who we rent from. Horses don't count as livestock, so can't shoot it. He will tell the sheep farmer who has the field next door though. He's been around a lot lately and was looking for a lost sheep a week ago. Wonder if he's having trouble with the same dog?!

The sheep farmer CAN shoot the dog if it goes into the field and chases or attempts to chase any sheep.

s4sugar

Visit site
The sheep farmer CAN shoot the dog if it goes into the field and chases or attempts to chase any sheep.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Eliz2/1-2/28
section 3 paragraph 1
"livestock” means cattle, sheep, goats, swine, horses, or poultry, and for the purposes of this definition “cattle” means bulls, cows, oxen, heifers or calves, “horses” includes asses and mules, and “poultry” means domestic fowls, turkeys, geese or ducks.

Cecile

Visit site

Unfortunately the police are generally not even aware of the law regarding this situation. Please find out who the owner of the dog is and ask the police to send someone around to talk to them. This is an offence

For more information on the law, your rights and how dog owners cannot just let their dogs run around not under control please view this website (Yes it is about sheep but it will help you). I went to their conference and was totally horrified how many horses/ponies were being attacked

www.terena.co.uk/sheepwatch-uk.html
www.facebook.com/Tolovesheep

Good Luck

RunToEarth

Visit site
camp out for the night and put poisioned meat down

I can't even begin to tell you why this is a stupid idea, but let's just go with the fact that poisoning someone's dog intentionally is not only incredibly cruel but also illegal under I'm sure more than one law.

Speak to a local farmer. They will probably know someone who will, for a price, sit up and wait for a few nights and shoot it. Problem solved.

Really? I know an awful lot of farmers (and non farmers) who hold a firearms or shotgun licence and I can't think of one who would accept cash in exchange for shooting a dog. Having seen first hand the aftermath of having to shoot a dog who was worrying livestock, it really has to be a last resort, and you have to be prepared to be pulled over hot coals for it. Dogs are classed as property and many owners' have taken people for criminal damage for shooting their dogs. If you are found to have acted unreasonably, you could be held on firearms offences, which carry a jail sentence - I wouldn't be risking it for £50 and a bottle of scotch anyway, it's slightly different when it's your livelihood on the line. I would be making an attempt myself to find the culprit.

touchstone

Visit site
My dad shot a dog that was worrying the horses, he went straight to the police and informed them. They were fine with his actions and the horses as previously stated were classed as livestock. It was a last resort and was happening on a regular basis incurring vet bills.

paddi22

Visit site
I can't even begin to tell you why this is a stupid idea, but let's just go with the fact that poisoning someone's dog intentionally is not only incredibly cruel but also illegal under I'm sure more than one law.

i wouldn't think twice about poisioning a dog if it had repeatedly attack my horses. I cannot imagine having a mare lose a foal, or having a foal or grown animal having to be pts because of leg injuries. That's on top of the stress of the animals being chased and terrfied.

You say poisioning it is cruel? Do you know what else is incredibly cruel? having a dog that has a taste for blood biting an animals legs. A dog like that is an absolute danger to any animal in the area. And i wouldn't risk making any attempt to restrain a dog that is riled up enough to have chased and bitten an animal. if the owner didn't want it poisioned they should have it under control, suitably fenced in and not running wild.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
Under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 a dog owner may be criminally liable if a dog is dangerously out of control in public or private land. The 1991 act only applies to certain breeds of dog. The owner could be sentenced to imprisonment, and the dog subject to a destruction order.
Within the specific agricultural context the Dogs (Protection of Livestock) act 1953 makes it an offence if dogs regardless of breed ‘worry’ (which is defined widely) livestock.
You may only shoot a dog if you have lawful excuse. In essence, the burden would fall on you to show that you acted in the belief that your livestock was in immediate danger and needed to be protected. The assessment of what is a lawful
Excuse and is reasonable is a grey area, and there may be repercussions if you overstep the mark – not only from the owner but also in terms of animal welfare issues and shotgun licensing. Accordingly exercising your rights is not without its risks.

Compensation for injuries suffered is primarily governed by the animals act 1971. Under section 3 where a dog causes damage by killing or injuring livestock, any person who is a keeper of the dog is strictly liable for the damage. When we talk of strict liability it means that the liability will fall on the on the dog owner without the need to make a finding of fault. As such the law is slanted in your favour. That said, any claim for damages will be strictly governed by ordinary legal principles, for example you will only be able to recover reasonable foreseeable losses and you would have a duty to mitigate such losses. You will need to provide evidence to the market value, costs breeding programmes and so on.
Depending on the nature of your farm, some of the animals kept may extend to non-traditional livestock and, as such , fall outside the legal definition – which is governed by Section 11 of the Animals Act 1971. In this scenario, you would still have recourse to claim damages in a claim of negligence or nuisance, albeit you would have the additional hurdle of proving fault.

UK Law -Dogs (Protection of Livestock) Act 1953
Under the Dogs (Protection of Livestock) Act 1953 it is a criminal offence for a dog to attack, chase, injure or to be out of control around livestock or agricultural land with the dog owner being absolutely liable for damages. Farmers are entitled to shoot dogs worrying livestock in fields.
The law is designed to punish the owner of any dog found worrying livestock on agricultural land.

For this piece of legislation to be used, the dog must be found attacking or chasing livestock or at large, not on a lead or under control, in a field or enclosure containing livestock. An offence is punishable by a fine on the owner or keeper of the dog of up to £1,000.

The Animals Act 1971 can also be used in cases where a dog is caught worrying livestock. It states anyone who is the keeper of a dog that is caught damaging by killing or injuring livestock is liable for the damage. This means the farmer can sue the dog owner for compensation.

In certain circumstances, a farmer or landowner has the right to shoot a dog found attacking or worrying his or her livestock, for example to act for the protection of any livestock if, and only if, either the dog is worrying or about to worry the livestock and there are no other reasonable means of ending or preventing the worrying; or the dog has been worrying livestock, has not left the vicinity and is not under the control of any person and there are no practicable means of ascertaining to who it belongs.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I would get a wildlife camera and some electric sheep netting, connected to an energiser, it has reduced our problem with stray dogs and people! You may well find that if the owner realises that the dog is being pictured they may well keep it out of the field.

Cecile

Visit site
North Wales Rural crime team made a useful video to help people understand the consequences and reality of the situation. There are no winners with this situation and it should never be ignored, deal with the problem immediately as once these dogs attack everyone's animals in the vicinity are at risk

http://www.skyweb.media/leadfilm/

Equi

Visit site

Really? I know an awful lot of farmers (and non farmers) who hold a firearms or shotgun licence and I can't think of one who would accept cash in exchange for shooting a dog. Having seen first hand the aftermath of having to shoot a dog who was worrying livestock, it really has to be a last resort, and you have to be prepared to be pulled over hot coals for it. Dogs are classed as property and many owners' have taken people for criminal damage for shooting their dogs. If you are found to have acted unreasonably, you could be held on firearms offences, which carry a jail sentence - I wouldn't be risking it for £50 and a bottle of scotch anyway, it's slightly different when it's your livelihood on the line. I would be making an attempt myself to find the culprit.

If a dogs been savaging your animals the owners haven't a leg to stand on! Another vote here for shoot the ******. If owner cared enough about it it wouldn't be running about after dark chasing livestock. My dogs would not dare think about it!

mystiandsunny

Visit site
Thanks all, we have put chicken wire up along that side. Have found dog hair stuck in the barbed wire where it is coming in too. It is grey, husky colour but feels like GSD coat - fine. So we know what colour at least and an exact entry point. Has definitely attacked sheep and the sheep farmer is on the prowl also.