Best way to keep vicious dog out of field that is attacking the

Dave's Mam

Visit site
you can't realistically keep a dog out of most multi-acre fields. If they want to get in they will dig under, or scramble up trees/banks on the perimiter, climb under where the streams go in, theres a million different ways they can get in, even over good horsewire etc. Plus a lot of people rent fields and don't have the option to demand dog proof fencing and I can imagine the farmers reactions if they ask.

The onus is on the dog owners to keep control of their dogs.

The owner can. By keeping it on a blooming lead.

jrp204

Visit site
Its very easy to ascertain what weapon shot a dog so by elimination work out who did it. The only time it is legal to shoot a dog is if it is inflicting physical damage on an animal and there is NO other way of stopping it. It is also illegal to shoot a dog in those circumstances and not inform the police within 24 hrs.

The dog does not have to be causing physical damage, I certainly wouldn't be spending time trying to catch a dog if my sheep were at risk, I would attempt to stop it whilst someone got a gun, not for the dogs sake. Our animals are our livelihood. A strange dog trotting through our sheep would be 'worrying them'.

'(2)For the purposes of this Act worrying livestock means—
(a)attacking livestock, or
(b)chasing livestock in such a way as may reasonably be expected to cause injury or suffering to the livestock or, in the case of females, abortion, or loss of or diminution in their produce.
[F1or
(c)being at large (that is to say not on a lead or otherwise under close control) in a field or enclosure in which there are sheep]'

popsdosh

Visit site
The dog does not have to be causing physical damage, I certainly wouldn't be spending time trying to catch a dog if my sheep were at risk, I would attempt to stop it whilst someone got a gun, not for the dogs sake. Our animals are our livelihood. A strange dog trotting through our sheep would be 'worrying them'.

'(2)For the purposes of this Act worrying livestock means—
(b)chasing livestock in such a way as may reasonably be expected to cause injury or suffering to the livestock or, in the case of females, abortion, or loss of or diminution in their produce.
[F1or
(c)being at large (that is to say not on a lead or otherwise under close control) in a field or enclosure in which there are sheep]'

As in your example above sheep are treated differently to other livestock ,please feel free to do it I am just giving my practical experience of the laws as they stand and the problems with doing it wrong.Horses or cattle for that matter actually damaged by dogs are very rare occurrences as they tend to hold a big advantage .

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
Those of you who would happily shoot the dog, do you know how hard it is to shoot a running animal? Add that to the attack is happening in the dark and there is no way it could be shot.
I'm not saying I wouldn't be sorely tempted, mind, but I don't think it would be physically possible.

popsdosh

Visit site
Those of you who would happily shoot the dog, do you know how hard it is to shoot a running animal? Add that to the attack is happening in the dark and there is no way it could be shot.
I'm not saying I wouldn't be sorely tempted, mind, but I don't think it would be physically possible.

Indeed it is very easy to say you would and totally different when your faced with doing it.

Pedantic

Visit site
Being an animal lover I don't like the idea of a dog being shot because of a stupid owner, but if it comes down to either my horse and myself being injured, then it has to be the dog that gets it, or is the owner going to pay Compo out for vet bills and my time off work ?, no thought not, like when out riding, if mine kicks a loose dog yapping at his heels, then tough, loose dog taking chunks out my horse, shoot it.

touchstone

Visit site
A horse owner has to legally fence the land to keep their stock contained - legally they are not responsible for keeping any other animal out - that is the legal responsibility of the other animal's owner and they can be prosecuted for not doing so.

Having witnessed dog attacks on both sheep and horses I would definitely opt for shooting, and sheep are classed no differently to horses in the case of worrying stock.

Luci07

Visit site
Do you have access to a village email/newsletter? My village does and it is enormously helpful with spreading info and warnings quickly. Even the parish magazine is useful. I appreciate that the reality of shooting a moving animal is very hard so would try the tack of warnings backed up with the police ref number as well.

RunToEarth

Visit site
I offer this as a suggestion.

OK so if you can't shoot dogs for worrying horses; then get some sheep and bung in their field as well.

Then if there is any instances of dogs coming into the field and chasing anything, you WILL have some legal redress for shooting the dog/s involved.

That's a great idea - OP do you know of a farmer with sheep who is willing to put them into your field in danger of being mauled by the dog?

To these people who are suggesting it is shot -

1) We don't know whether the OP holds a shotgun/firearms licence
2) Lots of people who tick number 1 can't hit a barn door at 20 paces - if it is maimed but not killed you could be held under the Animal Welfare Act. I suspect 90% of the people suggesting shooting it have no idea how hard it would be to get a clean shot of a moving dog.
3) If I were to shoot a dog I would really want a rifle
4) We don't know whether OP would be willing to risk her shotgun/firearms licence if the act is questioned (which it no doubt would be)

I can't stand irresponsible dog owners but shooting the dog without having taken further preventative measures is not the way to go about solving the problem.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Shooting a moving animal in the dark is a recipe for disaster and a completely impractical suggestion.

Sheep wire is probably the best bet here, and I'd be keeping an eye out for a dog of that description. Might be worth asking around too. The owner needs a right bo********.

Merlod

Visit site
Shooting a moving animal in the dark is a recipe for disaster and a completely impractical suggestion.

Sheep wire is probably the best bet here, and I'd be keeping an eye out for a dog of that description. Might be worth asking around too. The owner needs a right bo********.

I don't think any amount of fencing will keep a determined dog out, and i'm not sure how big OP's field is, but to fence the perimiter of my field with sheep wire would cost a bomb.. plus the fact that sheep wire is an absolute no for me where I turn out my horses - lethal.

RunToEarth

Visit site
It can't be that difficult to shoot a dog, according to the Farmer's Guardian one dog is shot every week.

I'm presuming you don't shoot. I would not want to shoot anything a ground level like that in the dark, especially not anywhere near my horse. We don't know how close to the road/village/houses/PROW the OP is. Most shoots don't allow ground game on shoot days because of the dangers, and we're presuming the guns can shoot!

PorkChop

Visit site
I'm presuming you don't shoot. I would not want to shoot anything a ground level like that in the dark, especially not anywhere near my horse. We don't know how close to the road/village/houses/PROW the OP is. Most shoots don't allow ground game on shoot days because of the dangers, and we're presuming the guns can shoot!

This with bells on!

I don't shoot, but my husband does regularly. We have a fox problem at the moment and he has been sitting up to try and shoot it. He has not as yet been able to shoot it, with a rifle, because of the risk of it not being a perfect shot. Baring in mind that the fox is not going as fast as a dog that is attacking.

You can't just shoot animals on the ground that easily without being uber careful.

popsdosh

Visit site
A horse owner has to legally fence the land to keep their stock contained - legally they are not responsible for keeping any other animal out - that is the legal responsibility of the other animal's owner and they can be prosecuted for not doing so.

Having witnessed dog attacks on both sheep and horses I would definitely opt for shooting, and sheep are classed no differently to horses in the case of worrying stock.

Im afraid they are!

(2)For the purposes of this Act worrying livestock means—
[F1or

popsdosh

Visit site

I had a friend had issues with sheep being worried and they got all gung ho! Thought he saw the culprit in his light pulled trigger,lots of screaming one dead labrador with the owner still holding it on a lead on a footpath . Quite rightly he ended up losing his weapons and his job and very nearly ended up in Jail.

madlady

Visit site
OP before sending out a man with a gun I personally would put up signs saying that the horses have been attacked and that any dogs found loose in the field will be shot.

I'd also plaster the same message all over FB on the local dog walkers and community pages - I'd also put out on FB that if you find who the owner is you will be taking them to court for vets fees - hopefully the owner will see that and will take appropriate steps.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
Will chicken wire to back up the barbed wire fence work? Or will the dog just jump it? It is attacking after dark, near the footpath which is where their water is. Dog took a chunk out of a pony back leg last night. Going to lie in wait for it but fencing would be better long term.

Dog warden and evidence if possible
last resort - a gun

Antw23uk

Visit site
Do you live or keep the horse in a village or something? I think most villages/ towns etc have a social media page like face book. Perhaps post something on local pages, give a description, let them know the police are involved and that a farmer has a right to shoot an out of control dog (dont elaborate, perhaps keep it from turning into this thread!)

EmmasMummy

Visit site
I second this, the Social Media approach! We have one here and it can take not even an hour for the whole place to know what storm is going down on it. Also as you mention the colour of coat you found. My friend has a Malamute and that sounds like hair from one of them (is it very soft?) Also Siberian Huskey, Tamasken etc. If it is a grey wolf type dog then the process of elimination will narrow it down considerably and social media would help.

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
I'd contact the police for advice- an aggressive loose dog is totally unacceptable!

I recently encountered a loose dog riding along a cliff (wide path) at the beach which chased us barking & snapping aggressively with the owner nowhere to be seen. Luckily my horse wasn't upset by it snapping at her heels & carried on walking while my OH shooed it away, but if she had been bitten I would have found the owner & contacted the police (& sent the owner the vet bill!)

mystiandsunny

Visit site
Thanks all, it is plastered all over local fb, lamp posts, spoken to neighbours etc. Pics of hair, time of day included. Hopefully we won't see it again.

The whole thing has shown me how under used my horses' intelligence is, day to day. They have worked out when it comes by when one of our neighbours comes home and the lights go on in their house. They drink and drink at the water trough as soon as it is dark, then once the light goes on they scarper out of sight and down wind. My TB (leader of the herd) was pointedly standing by the gate of the riding area tonight, hurrying me up so there would be time to untack, have their feed and a good drink before they needed to clear the area. She has also designated the more aggressive of the other ponies to guard the one who was hurt. She is like a bodyguard at night, always within a few feet, always watching. Once 9pm comes, they all relax. Also on Monday, after something had died loudly and messily in the direction the dog comes from, they relaxed and started to graze peacefully.

And fencing? 8 acres of land, backing onto woods, nature reserve, footpaths, a few houses. Various boundaries owned by various people. Mostly barbed wire. Any determined dog could jump anything we could put up, even if we had the thousands of pounds and the permission to do so. My friend's golden retriever could clear 5 bar gates when we were children. I regularly meet collies that can do that now.

One day, when I get my own land, I will grow nice thick, tall hedges!!

Dizzydancer

Visit site
I had a friend had issues with sheep being worried and they got all gung ho! Thought he saw the culprit in his light pulled trigger,lots of screaming one dead labrador with the owner still holding it on a lead on a footpath . Quite rightly he ended up losing his weapons and his job and very nearly ended up in Jail.

If I'd been the owner on the end of that lead I'm afraid your friend would have been in the mortuary and I am aware I would have then been in prison.

Shooting ground game/dogs is not something anyone should do lightly and I'm shocked how many people have suggested this. It is a very risky business and as RTE said you want a rifle with sights and night vision not a shotgun.

I hope that now you have done everything you can OP that the owners have realised how stupid they have been, in the other hand your horses sound very clever!!

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site

If your friend was stupid enough to shoot a dog on a lead they didn't deserve a licence or that job.

popsdosh

Visit site
If your friend was stupid enough to shoot a dog on a lead they didn't deserve a licence or that job.

Just an example of what happens when all the vigilantes shout shoot them!! most have no idea of the implications and the responsibilities of those with their finger on the trigger and the S**t that can come down on you.He didnt before he made that mistake in the heat of the moment. I wonder how many people advocating this approach would make the same mistake several I guess!
It should only ever be used as a method of last resort not a routine precaution.

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Interestingly, after one of our local farmers shot a Husky type dog that was worrying sheep, all those local dogs, which were usually allowed to walk loose on rural 40mph roads and through fields of stock, leaving their owners way behind, suddenly found themselves on leads.

Sheepdip

Visit site
Interestingly, after one of our local farmers shot a Husky type dog that was worrying sheep, all those local dogs, which were usually allowed to walk loose on rural 40mph roads and through fields of stock, leaving their owners way behind, suddenly found themselves on leads.

That's exactly what happened with us. Not sure if ALL the owners would have started to put their dogs on leads just because of the new signs going up but actually seeing us stood there with the shotgun waiting to have a shot at the first opportunity spread through the village like wild fire and the loose dogs stopped!

Lizzie66

Visit site
As you know what the time slot is and where its coming in from why not stake out the route for a few nights with a friend and some leaflets showing damage caused.

Approach anyone with a dog and politely explain "that you know its probably not their dog but inform them of the problems that you have been experiencing and that you have been in touch with the police and you are now aware that you are entitled to shoot any dog actively worrying your horses but that you really don't want to do this and could they keep an eye out and let you know if they see anyone they think it might be as if it doesn't stop you will be left with no alternative"

This will take a bit of your time but hopefully will have the desired effect.

Moobli

Visit site
I do hope the posters and word of mouth around your area works and you have no more trouble with the dog.

It is interesting to hear the amount of people who are advocating shooting the dog. Farmers are entitled to protect their livestock (ie livelihood and the nation's food) from an attacking dog by shooting if no other method works. An owner who keeps a horse for leisure purposes is a very different prospect and I would doubt they would be protected under the same law.

As the wife of a sheep farmer, I can say with some certainty that, for most farmers, shooting a dog is absolutely the last resort and I don't know one who takes pleasure in it.