Bitting suggestions :)

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Bitting advice please lovely people :)
5yo ISH x WB mare, backed September, in light work at the moment due to lack of light and weather.
Can work beautifully into the contact but prone to "I know best" tantrums which result in her either putting her head down and attempting to tow me out of the saddle, or sticking her ears up my nose.

In a hanging cheek she liked the mouthpiece but the weight of the bit caused bruising to the bars :(

Currently in a hollow mouth but I believe the thickness of the bit is increasing her opening her mouth objections - she certainly sticks her head up more which could also be due to the nutcracker action of the snaffle.

Really didn't go well in Myler Comfort Snaffle - caused lots of head wagging.

So I need light weight, not too thick, possibly double jointed but not myler style...

Although she can get strong in the contact she isn't hard to stop etc and once we've got through her objection, which usually only lasts a few minutes she works lovely, just want to find something she's comfortable in.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
you could try a nathe if she has a sensitive mouth to the point that the hanging cheek bruised her, they do come as jointed bits but I've always found the straight bar to be well accepted - they are thinner and more flexible than happy mouths. Have you ever tried a mullen mouth bit?

It sounds like the head up/down stuff will probably settle when she accepts the contact more generally? bit of a learning hump to get over first though ;)

Lanky Loll

Visit site
you could try a nathe if she has a sensitive mouth to the point that the hanging cheek bruised her, they do come as jointed bits but I've always found the straight bar to be well accepted - they are thinner and more flexible than happy mouths. Have you ever tried a mullen mouth bit?

It sounds like the head up/down stuff will probably settle when she accepts the contact more generally? bit of a learning hump to get over first though ;)

All the happy mouth / nathe's we have at home are quite chunky so haven't tried them yet but they are the next on the list :)

Fingers crossed once she accepts it she'll be fine but she is a *cough* chestnut mare and definitely has opinions on things like speed and direction ;) I want to make sure I've eliminated the bit as an issue before I try anything else - it would be only too easy to strap her up and I don't want to do that.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
hehe yes, I have a *cough* chestnut mare - lucky for me mine is not as sensitive so she gets the benefit of the doubt and then has to get on with it!

there are all the usual NS bits etc that lots of people like but if she's had bruised bars from one metal bit I'm not sure how it would be a great deal better tbh... unless you change the action, hence suggesting a straight bar. Dunno.

Lanky Loll

Visit site
hehe yes, I have a *cough* chestnut mare - lucky for me mine is not as sensitive so she gets the benefit of the doubt and then has to get on with it!

there are all the usual NS bits etc that lots of people like but if she's had bruised bars from one metal bit I'm not sure how it would be a great deal better tbh... unless you change the action, hence suggesting a straight bar. Dunno.

Yep tis tricky :( I'll have to try the straight bar just hope it's not a grab it and run moment ;) to be fair to her this is about her only naughty bit so I'm prepared to give her the benefit of the doubt/

pottypony1

Visit site
Sounds very similar to my boy... I now have him in a neue schule verbindend which he seems to love! Doesn't lean on it anywhere near as much, or have his had throwing tantrums! X

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
My gelding was very similar as a 5/6yo and the only bit he settled in was a NS Verbindend, which he's still in now as a 10yo. I'd tried loads before - Happy Mouths, French links, plain snaffles, straight bar, Myler comfort snaffle, went the opposite way and tried a waterford... I borrowed a friend's NS and he settled immediately.

Lanky Loll

Visit site
So quick update in no particular order:

Tried a happy mouth double jointed, was too big but she was happier in the double joint than the traditional snaffle.
Tried the straight happy mouth - good in trot, head up and properly bogged off in canter.
Tried a sweet iron, copper losenge snaffle as I had one in the tack room - liked it but was a fraction too small so rubbed, went and got a size up and put bit rings on it - pulled through her mouth :( some steering issues when things got exciting (babyness more than anything)
We've found a NS think it's a verbinbend but it's loose ring and right now I need a fixed cheek after our weekend adventures so back to the rack in the tack room to see what I can find! I'd like to try the NS turtle top but can't find one that's not loose ring.

bja_belle

Visit site
Sadly I don't have new NS funds at the moment so trying to find secondhand they're like hens teeth :)

Have you considered trialing with one of the bit banks, at least you would then know if they're suitable before trying to source a second hand version? I know there is a cost to that, but worth considering if you're unsure, and they have helplines as well, which may be of use??

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Have you considered trialing with one of the bit banks, at least you would then know if they're suitable before trying to source a second hand version? I know there is a cost to that, but worth considering if you're unsure, and they have helplines as well, which may be of use??

Hi yes, that is an option - working through what friends have at the moment as a first call :)