Black Caviar

lmason

New User
Visit site
Dear English Horse lovers,
You definately did see a diminshed version of our much loved Aussie Champ.
I've been present at the track for about 6 of her races in Aus and I always watch horses in the mounting yard and during the pre race preliminaries.

Her trot was uneven before that race definately different from my recollections of seeing her at the track in Melbourne, Australia. I think she was sore and stiff before she even got to the barriers.

She looked OK when she cantered but the trot was different and uneven. I thought it might have been the off hind not quite tracking through. Hind leg lameness is always tricky.

If Luke Nolen knew she was sore that might be why he pulled up early. She is up for a big bonus now that she has won in England.

Exciting to see your super star Frankel just go out and cream them. He looks bigger and stronger now, maybe they will try and take him to Longchamp for the 'Arc. He is from the same female family as our great Makybe Diva's sire Desert King. Desert King has thrown some good hurdlers, champion show hacks and even an up and coming event horse over here in Aus, proving that strength and athletisicm on the track can be transferred to all the horse sports. Frankel's little bro Noble Mission looked a bit unlucky too.

Just on great female families check out Sea Moon and Workforce's female ancestry and you find the great Pretty Polly [14c]. I read Hislop's The Brigadier (also a direct descendant of Pretty Polly) when I was a kid and have become totally obsessed with studying the female heritage of racehorses. It's quite surprising how dormant families can throw a champ out of what seems from nowhere but if you do your homework you can find a champion matriach way back. I suppose the few hundred years that the thoroughbred has been specifically bred for racing is no time at all when considered against the time taken for the evolution of the horse.

On that note, you will find the greatest mare of all in your current derby hero Camelot's pedigree. He goes directly back to the unbeaten Kincsem. :p

giveachance

Visit site
Thanks for that bit of info Imason, I find Bloodlines particularly mares fascinating, and they are so often overshadowed by the sires lines, so thanks again, really interesting x

redriverrock

Visit site
What a shame we didnt see her at her best...I also felt she was not right before the race and it was blindingly obvious she was lame after the race. When they trotted her past the stands I cant believe the jockey didnt realise she was lame and get off her.
The horse is clearly amazing and managed to win even when injured...just really sad the humans involved all came off looking a bit clueless. The jockey looked like a man who was about to see the firing squad after the race! Why could he not say...she is lame thats why she only just won and i stopped riding...he must have known. Did the trainer feel under so much pressure he had to run her no matter what?
I just hope they give her a nice rest and dont put her in that position again.
By the way I love racing and am not against it...just dont like to see horses being used like this when they are clearly not right

Racergirl

Visit site
Love her, still love her and in a way Im glad they found an injury, becuse she didnt win the way that people expected her to.

BUT

she still won. Luke Nolan has put his hands up (all credit!) and has at no stage tried to blame anyone other than himself - and he knows full well the Auzzie press are going to annhailate him. (and from what Ive been told, it wont be a suprise if he doesnt have a job after that - but I sincerely hope they are wrong - that wouldnt be fair at all IMO)

the trainers comments about Frankel's rating and opposition were becuase he also runs against the same horses time and time again ( you can only beat what turns up after all ) but you never seem to find his opposition slated the way BCs are....

wonderful mare, glad she won, glad shes going home in one piece. Hope she wins in Hong Kong in the manner that we are all accustomed to seeing her do, she deserves it.

(oh - and that Arazi Breeders Cup race?? My favourite Jaw dropping race ever, closely followed by Dancing Brave's Arc ) :D

lmason

New User
Visit site
I wasn't really putting her down; she is a big coarse sprinter with a sprinter's typical build. I have just seen a posed picture of her & she does look pretty stunning. Sorry Nelly!
Maybe she was off colour today, as on the TV her coat looked a bit dull, but then I suppose swapping hemispheres isn't that good for a lady's looks!

It will be interesting to see what she produces as a brood mare, her pedigree is interesting as she is inbred to Northern Dancer & Silly Season. & Wilkes. I remember one of her ancestors Lunchtime winning the Dewhurst Stakes, he didn't train on but he was a stunning looking horse.

I love racing, but she was too hyped before the race; glad she managed to get her nose in front, she seems a very brave mare.

Dear Honeylight,
That is interesting what you say about Lunchtime. He was a bit of an underrated stallion in Australia though he has his own line of champions through the Snippets sire line and shows up often in dam lines.

He produced some of the best show hacks and dressage horses in Aus- he became something of a legend with the non racing horse sports crowd. Great types often liver chestnuts, with sensible temperaments. Even recently his descendants have been crossed with european warmbloods and are producing exciting performance horses.

Cheers from Aus:)