Blair Europeans on TV now

mypegasus

www.themusingsofpegasus.wordpress.com
Given that Bay My Hero produced a dressage test that was not up to their normal standard yesterday with people commenting that in the trot there were irregularities then could it not be that WFP had in his mind the possibility that there may be something not 100%. Given that on review of Bay My Hero's BE record the horse has only ever picked up one 20 penalties cross country jumping - I think WFP's decision to retire was justifiable. There is the possibility that the horse wasn't 100% and carrying on in ground that was gettin tackier may have exacerbated any problem.

Disappointing for the team that all three horses now count, and therefore pressure at the trot up tomorrow.

We weren't the ones on the horse, we don't know what feeling WFP had been getting from Bay My Hero going round. How many of us have cut short a hack/schooling session/competition because we've thought our horse/pony wasn't right, and friends have questioned our decision. Sometimes picking up on little things can be in the horses best interest, stops it becoming a big thing.

TheMule

Visit site
I think it's justifiable to question why he didn't got for the easier alternative second time round, even if he then put his hand up and retired, if he felt the horse wasn't right.

teapot

Visit site
Last edited:

Hanson

Visit site
I have had to blame you MagicMelon....OH just got in from work asked why I hadn't finished jobs that I said I would do today..... So I had to blame somebody for telling me Blair was televised and I'm afraid you got it!

I would also like to say thank you! Had a fab day lounging on sofa with dogs! The jobs can wait another day!

bongo-girl

Visit site
Just seen this quote on the main site:

I was so frightened, I just kept thinking I didn’t want to wreck this lovely young horse,” said Pippa. “I’ll kick myself over the time-faults later, but he was class and showed the sort of horse he could develop into.

“I was frightened to ruin this potentially very good horse by asking him a big question, but he really delivered. If he was two years older he’d have been quicker — at this stage he couldn’t have been quicker.”

I was wondering - if you are selected to ride for the team, as she was, can you ever be in the position to say 'No, I would like to ride as an individual as a team place is too much pressure for my horse right now'.

Or is that completely impossible?

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I don't know. I was just pondering something like that, reflecting on how we have our best horsemen and women on the teams, then we complain when they don't push their horse enough and let the national team down, yet to me, pushing a knackered horse or frightening a youngster is not being a top horseman/woman. It makes you wonder if there is too much pressure nowadays, be it for the glory of championship medals, Olympic selection, lottery funding, attracting sponsorship etc. A good horseman that pulls up for the sake of the horse's welfare is much better than one that flogs a tired horse for the sake of glory. Sometimes things don't work out and other times they do. Horses aren't robots.

Clodagh

Visit site
Do people voluntarily live in Scotland or is it some sort of payout for being bad in a former life? It either pours or you get eaten by mozzies. Nice scenery though.
Brilliant jumps, a really enjoyable day. Isn't Michael Jung just superb, on an 8 year old in a plain snaffle, no martingale and flew round, didn't see him move a muscle, and he was so delighted with the horse at the end. Excellent stuff. The Germans are just a cut above. Our individuals have done well though.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
On H&H website.

William Fox-Pitt, 46, with Catherine Witt’s Bay My Hero (team rider) — retired at fence 17 (Joules Brush Arrowhead)

“He just didn’t enjoy it,” said William. “He was going into the ground and found the conditions tough. He tried his best, but he just lost the will. He’s never had a run-out in his life.

“I feel I’ve let the team down and hope we’re still in the hunt with the other three scores. It wasn’t my day.”

Read more at http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news...-round-up-saturday-509888#XvQqgKrwGgwy1PLj.99

That's fair enough. Bay My Hero had seemed to be travelling ok but must have given WFP a bad feel. The retirement was rather unexpected from a spectators point of view.

EmmaC78

Visit site
Do people voluntarily live in Scotland or is it some sort of payout for being bad in a former life? It either pours or you get eaten by mozzies. Nice scenery though.
Brilliant jumps, a really enjoyable day. Isn't Michael Jung just superb, on an 8 year old in a plain snaffle, no martingale and flew round, didn't see him move a muscle, and he was so delighted with the horse at the end. Excellent stuff. The Germans are just a cut above. Our individuals have done well though.

Believe it or not the weather has been great up here the last few weeks, not much rain at all. It is a shame it chose to arrive today though :(

Visit site
Believe it or not the weather has been great up here the last few weeks, not much rain at all. It is a shame it chose to arrive today though :(

Yup and if it had had to good grace to turn up on Thursday and be dry after you would have had beautiful ground to run on. Instead you ended up with slippy ground where the rain couldn't get in until some more horses had mangled it!

Orangehorse

Visit site
It was a shame for WFP, but he had the worst of the going - it really did rain all day.

Some horses don't take any notice of the weather, yet others just hate the rain and just want to get back to their stable.

madmav

Visit site
I thought Mike Tucker said at end of coverage yesterday that shw jumping would be on red button today. But as you say, just endless repeat of Rick Stein show. And this afternoon set to be concert from Hyde Park.
Bbc2 showing highlights programme Monday afternoon.

sasquatch

Visit site
I signed up for fei.tv last night as I missed the xc and wanted to watch it. So am now watching on recap.

Just finished Michael Ryan's xc round, lovely round. Pippa is on the xc course.

Also doesn't have Mike Tucker commentating, for anyone who isn't a fan of his.

It is £10 per month, I missed burghley too so will hopefully be able to get caught up - they should have all the live showjumping but also let you watch it on 'recap'