Body protectors… who wears them

AntiPuck

Visit site
Always for hacking, but not usually for schooling unless jumping or on an unfamiliar horse. Not sure why I don't wear it for schooling as well, it's more a habit then a rational decision.

cold_feet

Visit site
I used to wear one all the time. Now I don’t. Most bad things happen to other bits of the body. I can see why eventers wear one, Or anyone who jumps maybe, but I don’t.

ETA maybe I’m biased, as I’ve broken all 4 limbs - a bp has never helped.

smolmaus

Visit site
Feel naked without one. The only time I haven't was at a local trekking place where nobody wears one and I felt awkward ? which is p pathetic for a grown woman.

Small lie there actually, I sat on just-backed Sadie without one as it was just for a loop of the school with someone leading her and I was SO tense I really regretted not taking the time to go get it.

dixie

Visit site
I ride in an air gilet nearly every time I ride, especially on the roads.

I’ll usually wear a BP jumping nowadays but sometimes just the gilet.

spacefaer

Visit site
Never unless forced to by xc schooling venue or competition rules.

I don't think I've had a single injury (and there have been plenty over the years) that would have been prevented or mitigated by wearing one.

JackFrost

Visit site
Me. Always. The one time I had a bad fall, I decided not to wear it because it was a hot day. I have felt since that it is tempting fate not to wear one, and had falls that would have been much nastier without it.

Fjord

Visit site
When I was on a farm with private hacking, I only wore mine for jumping, stubble field gallops or if I had a confidence wobble. Since moving to a yard with bridleway hacking I wear it every time. My mare is a bit more nervous with the new hacking and I worry about being spooked by dogs and bikers etc. I've just bought a new racesafe, it has quite good ventilation and is pretty comfy.

Pmf27

Visit site
I wear one every time I ride, I'll also wear one when walking out in hand (not just to the field and back, but if I'm 'going for a walk').

Skib

sites.google.com
I bought one when I started hacking (aged 62) and dont hack without it either in UK and on holiday in USA. I dont notice I am wearing it and wear it in lessons too. It has been a boon and a blessing as I have never been seriously hurt in a fall and was able to ride bareback. My grand daughter (now a student) has always worn one too.

ThreeFurs

Visit site
I wear my Champion Tii22 Beta 3 bp hacking, but not necessarily schooling although, and maybe I would with a horse I don't know, or in a new environment.
Although my friend has just buggered her knee this morning, from falling off her Clydie x who did a spook and spin. So unless we get knee pads too? No, joke. I'm an ace at finding nice tech tops that disguise the back protector; but I never really worry about what people say. However, if I see an ad for a horse for sale, and all the pics show a rider in a back protector, I do think twice. I mean, its only common sense. If the horse for sale is a dressage horse, I pause, if its a show-jumper or eventer, I think oh, OK, cool.

Archangel

Visit site
Never. If I am expecting trouble I wear my long suede chaps for a bit of extra stickability.

If I were to travel back in time to when my now retired horse was first ridden I would wear full body armour and have a private ambulance following me wherever I went.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Never. Been riding for nearly sixty years and never felt the need. I do wear hi viz on the roads though. The volume of traffic has multiplied over the last few decades.

Sealine

Visit site
I've not worn a BP for a few years since I stopped competing and schooling XC. I never wore one hunting. I ALWAYS wear hi-viz for hacking.

maya2008

Visit site
Hard to wear one all the time in this weather - my son is wearing his on our newly backed 5yo (reactive, whizzy Welsh A) and couldn’t wait to get it off yesterday morning!

palo1

Visit site
Um, certainly not as often as many people would say is necessary. Always when required for xc training or in the rare event of competing xc. Otherwise not, tbh. I have a fitted bp in the tack room and 'know' that we are all advised to wear them whenever we ride but I never really have and blooming hate them. I did wear it when starting a very hot youngster but found it massively unhelpful in being able to relax. Psychologically, donning the bp was not helpful for me in that situation. I have also had a nasty injury (freak accident) when wearing one (part of a jump snagged on the armhole when horse jumped sideways. It may have been worse without the body protector - I don't know but I had a horrible wrench etc). I know we should wear them always. I know accidents can happen any time and I know protective kit can prevent horrible, potentially life changing injuries. My sister has spent years working in A&E and I have had riding accidents that have required hospital attention and surgery; none of which would have been prevented or lessened by the use of a BP. There is no excuse not to wear one. But I don't and probably won't. I do wear hi vis and am generally aware of safety though I know people will say that saying that and not wearing a bp when you ride is cognitive dissonance etc. I can't afford an air jacket either though perhaps that suggests to some that I shouldn't afford to ride a horse!! There is no hope for me clearly. When I am still riding at 85 or 90 I may remove my up to standard helmet and don a charming fedora with a feather. That will be the same day I purchase a hot young thoroughbred perhaps...People should do as much as they can for their own safety but we are all different and have choices that we can make.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Not since i gave up eventing. i don't own one any more.

I do wear my hat every ride though, when i was younger i didn't always... and i did love wearing a top hat in competition in the summer when they were still permitted as it was much less of a head-cooker than a safety hat! things move on.