Boggle- USA bound!

Michen

Visit site
Well it’s very deserty! Pretty cool.

Somewhat stressed as my company health insurance takes 30 days to kick in. I don’t think my travel insurance will cover me when I’m on a visa.

And guess what, you can’t get temporary health insurance in Colorado due to some weird legislation. Welcome to America ? Silly me as thought this would be a job to get done in the airport.

So please Bog, don’t buck me off.67E2E694-49DF-4413-A43B-1A742C77C31C.jpeg

Last edited:

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
My new neighbor (9 hours or so away to the West)!

Yeah, Colorado got super strict about it, from my understanding and it just became too stringent. So no one offers it, IIRC.

mavandkaz

Visit site
And they lost a suitcase.. thanks British airways. ?

Let me guess, it's the one with your clothes in that you could really do with. Rather then bogs saddle cloths.

I hadn't realised Colorado was so dry, but then I've only been once in the depths of winter.

I would say you will be fine re health insurance, but this is you and Bog....did you take any vet wrap with you? ?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Well it’s very deserty! Pretty cool.

Somewhat stressed as my company health insurance takes 30 days to kick in. I don’t think my travel insurance will cover me when I’m on a visa.

And guess what, you can’t get temporary health insurance in Colorado due to some weird legislation. Welcome to America ? Silly me as thought this would be a job to get done in the airport.

So please Bog, don’t buck me off.View attachment 100786

Wow, not a lot of water there!

PurBee

Visit site
I am pretty stressed about it tbh!

As you are there on a work visa (presumably), a lot of major companies/employers have a ‘medical’ package for their employees as part of the salary package. Is there a chance you’re covered by their ‘medical services’ and dont know it?

If not, as youre still a british citizen, is there a uk private medical insurance company you can find that do a ‘worldwide travel/work medical insurance’?

Northern Hare

Visit site
Admittedly it was a while ago now but a company I worked for had a US office and colleagues would get assigned on projects over there. They would get the work permit in place, and the company would arrange insurance in the UK for them for their visit. I've just done a quick Google for "US work visa health insurance" and there are insurers offering that type of cover, so hopefully you'll be able to get some temporary cover in place.

Can your employers help in sorting this out for you?

ycbm

Visit site
How did you choose a home for Bog without being there, M? I'm fascinated to hear how you and he adapt to a completely diffeent world over there. I hope you'll have time to post.

Michen

Visit site
As you are there on a work visa (presumably), a lot of major companies/employers have a ‘medical’ package for their employees as part of the salary package. Is there a chance you’re covered by their ‘medical services’ and dont know it?

If not, as youre still a british citizen, is there a uk private medical insurance company you can find that do a ‘worldwide travel/work medical insurance’?
Admittedly it was a while ago now but a company I worked for had a US office and colleagues would get assigned on projects over there. They would get the work permit in place, and the company would arrange insurance in the UK for them for their visit. I've just done a quick Google for "US work visa health insurance" and there are insurers offering that type of cover, so hopefully you'll be able to get some temporary cover in place.

Can your employers help in sorting this out for you?

Yes I have company insurance but it won’t kick in for 30 days. I’ve asked them if they can do anything about it.

I think the issue is I’m not here travelling so I don’t think that would cover me if something happened and they found out I was on a visa.

Short term health insurance is easy to get except in Colorado.. see attached !

https://www.healthinsurance.org/short-term-health-insurance/colorado/

Michen

Visit site
How did you choose a home for Bog without being there, M? I'm fascinated to hear how you and he adapt to a completely diffeent world over there. I hope you'll have time to post.
Another who would like to know how livery differs over there in terms of stabling, turnout etc.
Hope you’re doing ok Michen! Feel like I’m living this exciting journey through you ?

With difficulty. I went for a swanky hunter jumper barn where we have to enroll in the programme for lessons etc! However, I’m living in an air B and B let of a colleagues (who I arrived to dinner and wine and the most lovely welcome) from last night. Denver traffic is pretty awful and I didn’t want Bog far away so I’ve gone for this barn- subject to me viewing it tomorrow- because it’s only 20 mins away.

The more laid back eventer type barns are south of the city so I could definitely still end up there as I find a place longer term. But for now, I just needed a good landing place for us both. And I couldn’t face a two hour round trip to see him on top of a new, very busy job.

The barn looks beautiful, the turnout isn’t ideal (1/5 acre size dry lot pens most of the year but in summer they have big grass fields they rotate through a few hours a few times a week- at this barn anyway) but that’s going to be the case everywhere as it is so dry. Grass doesn’t exist unless you do what these guys do and protect is so they have something. And they are turned out all day at least so that’s something. As for the hunter jumper training, anyone can improve riding s distance and apparently there’s a huge variety of riders there so I’m hoping it will sort of work for us. Plus there’s a dressage instructor to. my priority is happy close Boggle and I really like the feel I’ve got from these guys over email. Plus I’m hoping heated barn etc will see him through his first Colorado winter a bit easier. Barns here are crazy expensive so this one for example inc the compulsory training (six lessons a month) will be about $1600.

The barn is also in the mountain area of Denver to the west, so although I’ll need a trailer to get to the really amazing hacking (there’s only 170 acres direct from the barn) I’ll be able to access it super easily once I get myself set up although that won’t be until NY!

Last edited:

SBJT

Visit site
With difficulty. I went for a swanky hunter jumper barn where we have to enroll in the programme for lessons etc! However, I’m living in an air B and B let of a colleagues (who I arrived to dinner and wine and the most lovely welcome) from last night. Denver traffic is pretty awful and I didn’t want Bog far away so I’ve gone for this barn- subject to me viewing it tomorrow- because it’s only 20 mins away.

The more laid back eventer type barns are south of the city so I could definitely still end up there as I find a place longer term. But for now, I just needed a good landing place for us both. And I couldn’t face a two hour round trip to see him on top of a new, very busy job.

The barn looks beautiful, the turnout isn’t ideal (1/5 acre size dry lot pens most of the year but in summer they have big grass fields they rotate through a few hours a few times a week- at this barn anyway) but that’s going to be the case everywhere as it is so dry. Grass doesn’t exist unless you do what these guys do and protect is so they have something. And they are turned out all day at least so that’s something. As for the hunter jumper training, anyone can improve riding s distance and apparently there’s a huge variety of riders there so I’m hoping it will sort of work for us. Plus there’s a dressage instructor to. my priority is happy close Boggle and I really like the feel I’ve got from these guys over email. Plus I’m hoping heated barn etc will see him through his first Colorado winter a bit easier. Barns here are crazy expensive so this one for example inc the compulsory training (six lessons a month) will be about $1600.

The barn is also in the mountain area of Denver to the west, so although I’ll need a trailer to get to the really amazing hacking (there’s only 170 acres direct from the barn) I’ll be able to access it super easily once I get myself set up although that won’t be until NY!

That’s pretty standard here for what you pay. Mine is about the same price for the same. Because of how dry it is then they just have to live on hay.

I would highly recommend the mountain riding, it becomes the highlight of my year to go out camping in the mountains with my guy. You just have to watch the weather for smoke levels. Oh and dress for all seasons even in the summer.

If you can try some western riding too, or cow work. It’s so much fun!!

Very excited for updates!

palo1

Visit site

It is fab that you can post as several (lots!) of us are really appreciating the updates lol. :) I am sure Boggle will do well and the barn seems a very sensible choice but I completely understand the health insurance stress. Surely lots of folk must have knowledge of this and advice? I mean, if you had to, if you were ill (like not too ill) could you fly home for treatment? Very expensive I guess but posssibly cheaper than getting treated where you are. Hopefully your employer can provide some insight about what to do; it seems mad to leave someone uninsured for their first month to me...Great to hear you had a lovely welcome too. :) :) Lovely to have this update.

Michen

Visit site
Let me guess, it's the one with your clothes in that you could really do with. Rather then bogs saddle cloths.

I hadn't realised Colorado was so dry, but then I've only been once in the depths of winter.

I would say you will be fine re health insurance, but this is you and Bog....did you take any vet wrap with you? ?

How did you guess….

2DD12936-B68E-48F7-98EC-321488B4B202.jpeg

Michen

Visit site
That’s pretty standard here for what you pay. Mine is about the same price for the same. Because of how dry it is then they just have to live on hay.

I would highly recommend the mountain riding, it becomes the highlight of my year to go out camping in the mountains with my guy. You just have to watch the weather for smoke levels. Oh and dress for all seasons even in the summer.

If you can try some western riding too, or cow work. It’s so much fun!!

Very excited for updates!
It is fab that you can post as several (lots!) of us are really appreciating the updates lol. :) I am sure Boggle will do well and the barn seems a very sensible choice but I completely understand the health insurance stress. Surely lots of folk must have knowledge of this and advice? I mean, if you had to, if you were ill (like not too ill) could you fly home for treatment? Very expensive I guess but posssibly cheaper than getting treated where you are. Hopefully your employer can provide some insight about what to do; it seems mad to leave someone uninsured for their first month to me...Great to hear you had a lovely welcome too. :):) Lovely to have this update.

yep I’m at peace with it and made sure my salary negotiations took into account the extra 3k cost of living for Bog and I on top of what we had in the UK.

I definitely want to get him a western saddle it’s an absolute must!

Thanks guys it’s really nice to be able to post on here, sort of a bit of a sanity check. I got in the car at the airport a bit fraught with the bad drama and as I was driving had a huge “WHAT THE HECK HAVE I DONE” moment. It didn’t last long but it was definitely there.

I just can’t wait for Bog to be here, I know the minute I see his face I’ll feel 100%!

yep I’m at peace with it and made sure my salary negotiations took into account the extra 3k cost of living for Bog and I on top of what we had in the UK.

I definitely want to get him a western saddle it’s an absolute must!

Thanks guys it’s really nice to be able to post on here, sort of a bit of a sanity check. I got in the car at the airport a bit fraught with the bag drama and as I was driving out had a huge “WHAT THE HECK HAVE I DONE” moment. It didn’t last long but it was definitely there.

I just can’t wait for Bog to be here, I know the minute I see his face I’ll feel 100%!

My colleague and her OH are so sweet though and the basement apartment space is perfect for what I need right now. Probably twice as big as my cottage tbh ? and this left on my bed as well as a lovely dinner and wine to arrive to! Every person I’ve met in the states so far from airport to baggage drama to car hire has just been so friendly.

F0E53223-D079-4182-85C6-521557CFACCC.jpeg

Michen

Visit site
In my experience, those H/J barns are incredibly challenging to deal with if you like managing your horses your own way. I could not board at one.

If it’s as crazy as the ones I’ve encountered, happy to tap my contacts and see if there’s anything else.

Yep it doesn’t need to be forever and if I don’t get a good feel when I visit then I’ll re route him. I’ll drop you a message with the barn name!

ycbm

Visit site
I told my OH this morning, when he said "does she know how cold it is in winter there? " that you would have heated stables.

Grass is an over rated food for horses, Ludo's feet are hugely better now he hardly gets to eat much of it. Don't forget to supplement his vitamin E, though.

Michen

Visit site
I told my OH this morning, when he said "does she know how cold it is in winter there? " that you would have heated stables.

Grass is an over rated food for horses, Ludo's feet are hugely better now he hardly gets to eat much of it. Don't forget to supplement his vitamin E, though.

I am freaking out a bit now after was CL said, argh, I guess I just have to see how it goes.

It is a little stressful!

And yes I’m wondering if I’ll finally get Bog barefoot long term without it ? Good point re vitamin E thank you.

Northern Hare

Visit site
Yep it doesn’t need to be forever and if I don’t get a good feel when I visit then I’ll re route him. I’ll drop you a message with the barn name!

I think your strategy of finding a good yard as the starting point, is spot on. I'm sure Bog will settle in well, and you can enjoy the facilities and training, and see where you go from there. It also sounds like you've found some super accommodation for yourself as well - that's a lovely welcome they've given you! ? Are you starting your new job tomorrow, if so good luck!

palo1

Visit site
It will all soon feel more familiar and as soon as you get to see Boggle again you will be another step forward in the settling in thang!! Bags will be found (or other items sourced) and it sounds like you have landed with lovely friendly people. I bet you need a few nights of decent sleep and a bit less instant problem solving. Alternatively, a big night out, plenty of wine and a good walk to get over the jetlag lol!!

Michen

Visit site
It will all soon feel more familiar and as soon as you get to see Boggle again you will be another step forward in the settling in thang!! Bags will be found (or other items sourced) and it sounds like you have landed with lovely friendly people. I bet you need a few nights of decent sleep and a bit less instant problem solving. Alternatively, a big night out, plenty of wine and a good walk to get over the jetlag lol!!

Yeah the bag thing is a pain. There’s probably about 3k worth of stuff in there clothes wise etc and my insurance I don’t think will be anywhere near! Argh!

But it’s not life or death :) going to go for a “hike” shortly!

thanks you are right :)

SBJT

Visit site
Don’t stress about where you moved boggle to for now. It doesn’t need to be forever and once you get your feet settled you can have a good look around. I bet there will be a bunch of places that you didn’t even know about till you start talking to people.

CL is right the multi discipline barns will give you more flexibility. After having done both I definitely prefer those.

I won’t lie, the winters can be hard and they get harder every year for me. Buy a very good coat and don’t be afraid to buy bigger so you can layer. @Caol Ila do you guys get chinooks down there too?